Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Jumping dose?

[Ma...]

What dose of Clonazepam did people jump from (and no, I’m not going to switch to Valium so please save those comments lol), I’m doing a straight Clonazepam dry taper with mild WD so far and a moderate pace.  

Hello Mattwahoo Welcome to Benzobuddies.    Not everyone switches to Valium, we have many members successfully tapered from Clonazepam.    Slow is the best way with these drugs, It’s generally recommended to reduce between 5 to 10% every 10 to 14 days, many taper much slower.  Well done on starting your taper, Its good to know that withdrawals are mild so far.   I am sure one of our Clonazepam members will answer your question.

We are glad to have you here with us.

Magrita:smitten:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

Hello Mattwahoo Welcome to Benzobuddies.    Not everyone switches to Valium, we have many members successfully tapered from Clonazepam.    Slow is the best way with these drugs, It’s generally recommended to reduce between 5 to 10% every 10 to 14 days, many taper much slower.  Well done on starting your taper, Its good to know that withdrawals are mild so far.   I am sure one of our Clonazepam members will answer your question.

We are glad to have you here with us.

Magrita:smitten:

@[Ma...]

Just stick to that dry taper at a moderate pace. Clonazepam is a nasty BZD.

Here's Ashton Manual for you, with the basics of BZD taper. First of all, listen to your body. Ashton has a whole table on how to taper clonazepam, but you don't have to go so fast. Yes, Ashton suggests switching to diazepam at a later stage, but it depends on the individual. I have a Friend who was never able to switch to diazepam.

I also thought Benzo Equivalence Chart  could be useful for you. 

You CT the lowest possible dose.

Hang around and try to find some folks tapering clonazepam.

An adjacent med could help, but this is to discuss with a benzo-wise doctor, preferably a pdoc.

Hang around here and educate yourself as much as you can.

Good luck🤍 

Paula (aka Estée)

4 hours ago, [[E...] said:

@[Ma...]

Just stick to that dry taper at a moderate pace. Clonazepam is a nasty BZD.

Here's Ashton Manual for you, with the basics of BZD taper. First of all, listen to your body. Ashton has a whole table on how to taper clonazepam, but you don't have to go so fast. Yes, Ashton suggests switching to diazepam at a later stage, but it depends on the individual. I have a Friend who was never able to switch to diazepam.

I also thought Benzo Equivalence Chart  could be useful for you. 

You CT the lowest possible dose.

Hang around and try to find some folks tapering clonazepam.

An adjacent med could help, but this is to discuss with a benzo-wise doctor, preferably a pdoc.

Hang around here and educate yourself as much as you can.

Good luck🤍 

Paula (aka Estée)

All benzos are awful…lol.  I’ve been on a relatively low dose (1.0 mg) for about 8 years and never had any issues.  I’ve never abused it and was originally prescribed during a very stressful period at my job.  My life stress is pretty low and I’m retired so now is definitely the time.  Recommendations for tapering are all over the place in my opinion and while i respect that many need to go slowly, I definitely think people can get caught up in tapering too slowly and that’s just as damaging.  My question is what dose of Clonazepam to people generally jump from.  I have a scale but once I get down to .125 mg or so is that a reasonable place to jump from? Or maybe try every other night for a week or two and then stop.  

I'd let your symptoms guide you, if they're intolerable at .125 then it might be a good idea to taper lower but members will typically feel acute symptoms for a couple of weeks at whatever dose they decide to jump from.  Its about how you feel and what you can deal with in terms of symptoms.

I would avoid taking the drug every other day, I know doctors will suggest this but it can leave you with a whiplash of symptoms, a steady dose keeps blood serum levels more constant.  As for a jump dose, I've seen Clonazepam users taper to .05 but it doesn't sound like that is something you're interested in. 

Just so you know, for most of us here, there is the taper, then there is recovery and that can last as long or longer than the taper, just want you to be prepared. 

I believe you heal as you taper. If you are on a lower dose and not seeing an increase in symptoms then some receptors have to be firing back up to level out. I have read the Clonazapam recommended dose is 0.025mg. That is the equivalent recommended jump point of diazepam. I’m currently at .54 mg of clonazapam and having one hell of a time. I unfortunately started my marathon with a cold turkey injury from ativan so I’ve had a rough go if it. I’m dropping at a rate of 3% if current dose every 14 to 21 days depending on how I feel and my confidence. So far I have not felt as bad as the ct where I was bed ridden for 3 weeks. Although it is still the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life.

I was on Xanax, and worked my way down to 0.04mg (4ml in a 1mg/100ml titration method), and then stopped completely. Never touched that crap again. 

The general idea is that you slowly work your way down, and then when you feel comfortable, just stop taking it. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep plugging away. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I'd let your symptoms guide you, if they're intolerable at .125 then it might be a good idea to taper lower but members will typically feel acute symptoms for a couple of weeks at whatever dose they decide to jump from.  Its about how you feel and what you can deal with in terms of symptoms.

I would avoid taking the drug every other day, I know doctors will suggest this but it can leave you with a whiplash of symptoms, a steady dose keeps blood serum levels more constant.  As for a jump dose, I've seen Clonazepam users taper to .05 but it doesn't sound like that is something you're interested in. 

Just so you know, for most of us here, there is the taper, then there is recovery and that can last as long or longer than the taper, just want you to be prepared. 

Thanks, yeah I think I could do a week or two at .05.  I’m about halfway through my taper so far with minimal issues.  I’m actually feeling better in many ways which I’m thinking/hoping is some early healing/readjusting of brain chemistry going on. I know some struggle for months or even years afterwards but I also think some of that is the unmasking of psychiatric issues which aren’t being addressed and the re-emergence of other issues.  I was basically prescribed this by a quack during a single rough stretch in my life and have been very high functioning for the last 8 years.  I’m going steadily but not fast and will slow down if/when something changes.  

Hey there! This week, my third week at .0625 mg of clonazepam, will be the end of my tapering process. I’ve had a (blessedly) unremarkable experience so far, with very few wd sxs. I’m one of the lucky ones, I guess. Last week I got a little cocky, thinking I could jump after just two weeks on .0625 mg. After all, I’m tired of this drug and want to get on with my life. But then I remembered a couple of things: 1. if something were to go wrong, it would be inadvisable for me to “go backwards” from 0 mg to .0625 mg; and 2. what’s the hurry? Better to be cautious. Anyway - in response to your initial question, .0625 mg will be my official last dose. Good luck to us both!

10 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Hey there! This week, my third week at .0625 mg of clonazepam, will be the end of my tapering process. I’ve had a (blessedly) unremarkable experience so far, with very few wd sxs. I’m one of the lucky ones, I guess. Last week I got a little cocky, thinking I could jump after just two weeks on .0625 mg. After all, I’m tired of this drug and want to get on with my life. But then I remembered a couple of things: 1. if something were to go wrong, it would be inadvisable for me to “go backwards” from 0 mg to .0625 mg; and 2. what’s the hurry? Better to be cautious. Anyway - in response to your initial question, .0625 mg will be my official last dose. Good luck to us both!

Congratulations, glad to hear you’re at the finish line.  So why theee weeks instead of 2, just curious.  And how long/what dose did you taper from?  

Because my withdrawal symptoms -mild though they were- tended to emerge anywhere from day 10 to 13 of each new dosage, I thought it wise to give myself 21 days per dosage to make sure I was ready to go down another level. My ceiling dosage as prescribed was 0.25 mg/day, and I mapped out a 9-week taper with the intention to stretch it out longer if necessary. (More details are in my profile if you’re interested.) My tapering schedule was far faster than the literature advises. By contrast, in my tapering schedule the rate of change didn’t slow down over time - as it would in an exponential decay model. I’m still nervous about next week at 0 mg but also eager to put this behind me! Fingers crossed. 

@[Ma...] Hi Matt, This is such a good question and from what I've read - it really varies so much for everyone. Although slightly different in dosing, I recently jumped from Alprazolam, at .12. I thought I would be tapering down WAY further; I planned to taper as low as .04, every other day. But there were many symptoms that just told me my body was ready. I think most people would tell me that jumping from .12 is way too early. But for me... it was right. 

I also tapered off of Diazepam concurrently and jumped off the Diazepam at .50 (sounds like you don't want to go this route - I honor and respect this.) 

Hope this helps some. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Because my withdrawal symptoms -mild though they were- tended to emerge anywhere from day 10 to 13 of each new dosage, I thought it wise to give myself 21 days per dosage to make sure I was ready to go down another level. My ceiling dosage as prescribed was 0.25 mg/day, and I mapped out a 9-week taper with the intention to stretch it out longer if necessary. (More details are in my profile if you’re interested.) My tapering schedule was far faster than the literature advises. By contrast, in my tapering schedule the rate of change didn’t slow down over time - as it would in an exponential decay model. I’m still nervous about next week at 0 mg but also eager to put this behind me! Fingers crossed. 

0.25 is a pretty low dose and 9 weeks seems totally reasonable.  I’m coming from 1.0 and even 6 months seems like it may be a little fast.  I’m glad you’re doing well and near the end. Thanks for the info!

Seems that way, doesn't it! An exponential decay model in which a person starts at .25 mg, does two weeks per dosage, uses a decay factor of 10%, and aims to get below .05 mg would take between 30 and 31 weeks (running a log function would tell you exactly how many weeks, but in real life it wouldn't be all that meaningful because you'd get some weird fraction of a week!).