Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taper progress and symptoms

[Th...]

Hi,

previously I tapered down to 0.375mg Clonazepam a day (0.125mg 3 x day). My Dr has prescribed me liquid clonazepam (Ritrovil) but I have a few questions. Can the Ritrovil be diluted in water? Does it have a shelf life once opened or a shelf life once diluted in water?

Can you please check my math too.

Desired dose = 0.125mg

1 drop Ritrovil = 0.1mg

2 drops Ritrovil in 2ml water = 0.2mg clonazepam- draw out 1.25ml to get 0.125mg?

Thanks for your help.

I forgot to say I plan on replacing my middle dose for the day with Ritrovil and tapering that starting with a 5% taper and then taper my morning and night doses simultaneously dropping 2.5% from each. Ultimately I will listen to my body.

1 hour ago, [[r...] said:

I'm  going to start a liquid thats compounded too. scared

Me too. Mines not compounded. Just comes like that. I have made my own suspension for another med though and it worked well. Was terrified of switching over though. I get nervous that they’ll make a mistake when they compound it so I prefer to do it all myself.

They made a mistake on the compound pills I dint know why i trusted them.  Here ere I live you cant get anything but tea pills  pray for me it works out.

8 minutes ago, [[r...] said:

They made a mistake on the compound pills I dint know why i trusted them.  Here ere I live you cant get anything but tea pills  pray for me it works out.

Do it yourself. It’s safer.

I ca.nt get any liquid from any pharmacy here .  I tried.  And the pills that I was taking was accord they did't bother me but there on recall so the pharmecy only has accord and I had a allergic reaction and my Dr is an ass.  I told him I was having a reaction and he told me to "suck it up".  I have horriable insurance and can't find a dr that will take it, so may end up in rehab If this "liquid" dosn't work . I have't been able to eat cause my stomach is burning so bad.  I feel horriable and lost and alone.  Husband just passed so i'm a total mess on top.  

6 hours ago, [[r...] said:

I ca.nt get any liquid from any pharmacy here .  I tried.  And the pills that I was taking was accord they did't bother me but there on recall so the pharmecy only has accord and I had a allergic reaction and my Dr is an ass.  I told him I was having a reaction and he told me to "suck it up".  I have horriable insurance and can't find a dr that will take it, so may end up in rehab If this "liquid" dosn't work . I have't been able to eat cause my stomach is burning so bad.  I feel horriable and lost and alone.  Husband just passed so i'm a total mess on top.  

Sorry that’s happening for you

I wanted to let you know that many members have used a combination of pills and liquid, so kudo's for instinctively knowing it was a good choice.  Also, I've seen members dilute with water but since we don't know how water alters the properties of the liquid Rivotril, its best to make small batches and agitate before you consume it. 

Have you started yet?

6 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I wanted to let you know that many members have used a combination of pills and liquid, so kudo's for instinctively knowing it was a good choice.  Also, I've seen members dilute with water but since we don't know how water alters the properties of the liquid Rivotril, its best to make small batches and agitate before you consume it. 

Have you started yet?

Thanks Pamster. I thought it best to change as little as possible so it made sense that keeping to pills twice a day and changing to liquid once a day created the least disturbance.

Apparently Rivotril is fine in water or fruit juice.

I’ll make up my batch daily to start and see how I go. I’m just waiting on the correct sized measuring cylinder and will get started. Hopefully before the end of the week. Nervous!

I can't imagine inviting this situation (tapering) knowing what you know, I have so much respect for people who can do this.  I was clueless, had no idea what I'd done to myself when I quit cold turkey so my hats off to you.  You're starting out great, try to have confidence in the method you've chosen because doubt can lead to stress which leads to symptoms. 

Just remember, this experiment will most likely require adjustments so keep detailed records of your doses and symptom severity and let that guide your reductions, let your body tell you when and how much to reduce.  You got this! ;D

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 12:59 AM, [[T...] said:

Hi,

previously I tapered down to 0.375mg Clonazepam a day (0.125mg 3 x day). My Dr has prescribed me liquid clonazepam (Ritrovil) but I have a few questions. Can the Ritrovil be diluted in water? Does it have a shelf life once opened or a shelf life once diluted in water?

Can you please check my math too.

Desired dose = 0.125mg

1 drop Ritrovil = 0.1mg

2 drops Ritrovil in 2ml water = 0.2mg clonazepam- draw out 1.25ml to get 0.125mg?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Thorin,

I hope your method works for you. 

I am tapering lorazepam by, in my opinion,  dissolving it in water. I am not saying I dissolve it 100%, but that is not necessary either.

I described earlier how I do it and  I am satisfied about this method. I suspect that this would also work for clonazepam.

How I dissolve 1mg lorazepam in pure water

• Like 1

@[Th...] In hope of reassuring you about the approach you have decided to try …  we have multiple members who have diluted a manufacturer’s oral solution with water to make a modified liquid with a lower concentration.

Your strategy of changing just one of your doses to the modified liquid is a wise one.  Might I strongly encourage you NOT to make a reduction in dose at the same time as you make a change in dosage form?  (If you make two changes at once and encounter issues during a taper, you will not be able to determine root cause.)  Instead, hold your dose constant at 0.125mg for at least 7-12 days to see how you react to the liquid. I also strongly encourage you to keep a daily taper log so you can monitor your symptoms and functionality during this trial period.  For example, you may — or may not — notice a slight difference in the onset or duration of action of the liquid compared to the solid dosage form (i.e. tablets).  

@[jo...] I’m glad your approach is working for you. Thank you for adding the disclaimer that it may not result in a homogeneous solution (i.e. all of the lorazepam in the tablet may not dissolve).  Re: your speculation about clonazepam — its solubility in water is even lower than that of lorazepam. 

13 hours ago, [[j...] said:

Hi Thorin,

I hope your method works for you. 

I am tapering lorazepam by, in my opinion,  dissolving it in water. I am not saying I dissolve it 100%, but that is not necessary either.

I described earlier how I do it and  I am satisfied about this method. I suspect that this would also work for clonazepam.

How I dissolve 1mg lorazepam in pure water

Thanks. I read your method and it is very similar to the method I use for the other med I have been tapering. Except with my med I makes sure all the particles are evenly distributed rather than letting them settle and avoiding them. How are your symptoms using this method?

10 hours ago, [[L...] said:

@[Th...] In hope of reassuring you about the approach you have decided to try …  we have multiple members who have diluted a manufacturer’s oral solution with water to make a modified liquid with a lower concentration.

Your strategy of changing just one of your doses to the modified liquid is a wise one.  Might I strongly encourage you NOT to make a reduction in dose at the same time as you make a change in dosage form?  (If you make two changes at once and encounter issues during a taper, you will not be able to determine root cause.)  Instead, hold your dose constant at 0.125mg for at least 7-12 days to see how you react to the liquid. I also strongly encourage you to keep a daily taper log so you can monitor your symptoms and functionality during this trial period.  For example, you may — or may not — notice a slight difference in the onset or duration of action of the liquid compared to the solid dosage form (i.e. tablets).  

Thank you for the advice and reassurance. Much appreciated. I was going to wait 2 weeks after switching the middle dose to a liquid just to see whether it impacted me at all. I’ll also be keeping a daily record of symptoms (or hopefully lack of) and/or effects.

thanks!

On 08/08/2023 at 06:34, [[T...] said:

Thanks. I read your method and it is very similar to the method I use for the other med I have been tapering. Except with my med I makes sure all the particles are evenly distributed rather than letting them settle and avoiding them. How are your symptoms using this method?

Like almost everybody I have withdrawal symptoms. I have to go very slowly with sometimes very long pauses.
But we are all different.
You can not expect that when you find a good tapering method this will guarantee that you have an easy taper.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [[j...] said:

Like almost everybody I have withdrawal symptoms. I have to go very slowly with sometimes very long pauses.
You can not expect that when you find a good tapering method this will guarantee that you have an easy taper.

Thanks 🙏🏻 

6 hours ago, [[j...] said:

Has your taper been manageable though? Can you function? Work?

Hi all, I made the change to liquid for my middle dose today. If I do notice withdrawals but it’s tolerable I assume it’s better to wait out the withdrawal and my body will get used to the new dose. Same as any drop in dose right? Only change back to the tablet if I can’t tolerate it.

Thanks!

Hi, @[Th...],

Congratulations on your transition to your new taper strategy!  I am optimistic it will work for you, and agree with your assessment.  You very well may not notice any ill effects from your change in dosage form, so I would certainly not advise seeking/asking for any.  Keep us posted.  You've got this!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Hi, @[Th...],

Congratulations on your transition to your new taper strategy!  I am optimistic it will work for you, and agree with your assessment.  You very well may not notice any ill effects from your change in dosage form, so I would certainly not advise seeking/asking for any.  Keep us posted.  You've got this!

Hey thanks for your support! I’m feeling positive about the taper at this point. I only have 0.375mg to go and I’m as prepared as I can be. Thanks for dropping by!

• Like 1

Thought I’d post here. Not sure whether it’s the right place. So far I’ve started using a pill cutter which I realised was making me lose crumbs from each pill, and I’ve swapped my midday dose of clonazepam for a liquid dilution I make myself.

Definitely experiencing anxiety, social anxiety, stomach and throat clenching, uptick in intrusive thoughts and some emotionality. And I’ve barely restarted my taper! It’s probably a 2/10 for severity and manageable. But unpleasant and uncomfortable. Still, I want off this stuff so it’s worth pushing through. Hoping that it will ease after a week or two and then I can start tapering properly.

Hey Thorin,

I've merged your post into your other thread, it will really help you and others following your progress to see it all in one location.  

It sounds like you're learning as you go, I'm glad you're making adjustments to your method when you see things that aren't working for your situation.  Good job rating what you're feeling, keep that up, its a good tool. 

• Like 1