Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Strange Symptoms

[...]

I have been off Klonopin for a year after careful taper. Now get intermittent strange episodes. Feel strange sensation happen suddenly in my head, then quickly strange sensation is felt all through my chest and left arm like it is a heart issue, but it isn't. It is like a whole body issue. They last about 10 seconds then everything is normal. Wondering if anyone else experiences something similar after having been off Klonopin for a long time. 

• Like 1

I'm not near as far along as you are Mick, just started my slow-taper 5 months ago now, very slow, just 6% a month of 1 mg starting dose of C.  Had few wd sxs, but you are now in Protracted "time" and I hear that also is a time you will still be healing.  Others are there with you and they'll chime in as well, and help you much more than I.  Just wanted to welcome you to BB and I believe you are in a very good place, glad you found the forum.

Also what I've heard from others that have gone before me, that things do happen after we "jump off" our med but people are working through their particular issues, some have a harder time than others.  We are just all so different.  It would be good if you could give a bit of your history with your K benzo in your About Me section of profile.  That way, knowing your history of use will help others to help you more, especially those with similar histories ;) Denise, and glad again you are here :smitten:

I forgot to note that I occasionally take just a .50 mg pill to deal with insomnia, no more than once a week. Not sure if my episodes have to do with this practice, but  I never had these brief but disconcerting episodes in my brain and chest while tapering, just since winter

Hi again Mick, I've been taught, and believe, that once we are off the benzo, we really have to become Benzo Warriors and work through any issue without using the drug again.  I understand about what they call rescue dosing since I was doing it when I was into my taper.  I thought it was updosing, which I don't think is good now either.   Anyway, what I learned was given to me by I think it was @[Pa...] so I'll flag her here and maybe she can help explain better but I can quote The Ashton Manual, which if you listen to a video the Dr. Healther Ashton made, you will hear what I'm talking about.

Pamster can tell you more about, I think you are in a slightly similar situation because I was taking a little more of a dose to help me sleep.  I didn't realize I was interfering with my recovery so to speak.  Here's the comment from Dr. Susan Ashton that Pamster shared with me, I think it was Pamster?? I'm sorry but it will still apply.  She'll let me know ;)

here's the video that makes the statement, but I couldn't find the part in the Ashton Manual.  I love this video though and hope it helps you in some way :) Denise

Hi Mick,

My take is you're still recovering, it typically takes between 1 and 2 years for those of us here to fully recover, I'd chalk this symptom up to that, but if you're concerned, its a good idea to get checked out by a medical professional. 

What concerns me is your continued use of the drug, there is a theory called kindling which could be pertinent to your situation, I fear you're setting yourself up for increasing symptoms. Kindling - Benzodiazepine Information Coalition (benzoinfo.com) 

Benzodiazepines can be problematic for regular as well as PRN users of the drug. 

Pamster

In my opinion, any heart related symptom is worth having a doctor check it out, just in case. It’s probably nothing and just withdrawal, but I’m sure some peace of mind would help you out.

I was having strange heart symptoms like that and it turned out to be PVC’s. Harmless, but still something. They went away fully, in time.

IT is very strange how it starts with a spaced out sensation in the brain and then spreads to the chest with a widespread scary sensation and then it is over in 10 seconds. Hard to figure out if it is benzo related or something more serious. Reading through here, so many strange manifestations both during tapering and long afterwards, so hard to know