Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Do you spread a dose throughout the day, or take it at once?

[Em...]

I apologize if this has been asked before but for people who are currently tapering, do you find it's easier or better to spread your dose out throughout the day or take the whole dose at once? I'm tapering off 0.5mg of clonazepam right now and have been breaking the 0.5mg pill into fourths and taking one every 6 hours, but I'm curious if anybody knows if it's easier or harder to do it this way or if I'd be better off just taking the whole dose once a day?

I'm currently tapering from 2mg of klonopin a day and I have experimented with this. It's different for everyone so keep that in mind. For me, taking the whole dose feels better, more relief. However, it quickly caught up and that full dose didn't last all day so I quickly backed off from that approach. For me, spreading it out has been more bearable in terms of feeling ok throughout the day rather than having harsh waves hit later in the day. Keep in mind the goal is to slowly come off, bring the tolerance level down. Last thing I wanted to do was have my tolerance need at 2mg at once. This is just my experience. 

Hi, @[Em...],

I do not have experience personally with tapering clonazepam, however, the more doses you take in one day, the more difficult it is.

Most members I’ve seen, seem to take clonazepam twice daily, morning and evening (or roughly 12 hours apart).  There are even members that are able to get away with a single dose per day of clonazepam due to its longer half life.

Regretfully, the only way for you to find out is through trial and error.  I would recommend giving 2 doses per day a try perhaps, while holding your total dose steady for a couple weeks. 

Hi @[Em...],

I was taking Clonazepam and switched to Diazepam (per Ashton Manual) since Diazepam has such a longer half life.  This allowed me to take one dose a day vs. Clonazepam which has a much shorter half life causing me inter-dose withdrawals if i didn't take two doses a day.

I would suggest looking at the Ashton manual tapering schedule for guidance. 

I would take my Xanax once a day (at night). When I was tapering, I followed the same regimen and took it at night. I really liked the idea of getting a good night of sleep. 

Hi @[Em...]!

I'm tapering Clonazepam too. I'm down to 0.1875 mgs and I take it all in the evening before bed. It makes it easier for me to sleep then. During the day I can find things to do to distract myself, so the single nighttime dose is working best for me. Everyone is different, though. You may have to experiment and just see what feels best for you. It IS awfully convenient not to have to cut stuff up so much, though! 

Jess

I take clonazepam once a day in the evening before bedtime.  I'm currently at 0.276 and have not had any interdose withdrawal.  Yes, everyone is different though.