Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

SYMPTOMS WITH JUST DROPS OF KLONOPIN LEFT??

[Pe...]

I posted on this before but can't locate my post and the replies. I am embarrassed to say that I am still struggling with my taper from Klonopin. I have been very careful, making the smallest of cuts from my original 1 mg. over the past year. I've been on Klonopin long term - 23 years. It's worked out well but the past month or two at less than 0.3 ml (I take the suspension) I am having issues. The suspension is .5 mg. - 5 ml. With just drops to go, can it be possible the emotional outbursts, low mood and anxiety are withdrawal symptoms? I'm exhausted, no energy, "pulsing" sensation in my head. My psychiatrist thinks I'm completely off - I'm afraid to tell him I'm still taking the drops or he will say it's all in my head. Don't know where else to turn but here with people who know this stuff first hand. I am grateful for your support and guidance.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

can it be possible the emotional outbursts, low mood and anxiety are withdrawal symptoms

Yes Peacenana, I am sure your symptoms are withdrawal related symptoms. I had symptoms throughout my taper due to tolerance, I was a long termer 26 years. You will come through this! well done for getting this far.  Just keep on going, slow it down more if need be.   Its not right that we have to go through this, but its the only way out, symptoms are dreadful but keep in mind they are temporary.

You've got this

Magrita:smitten:

Here is a link to another thread you started

• Like 1

hello @peacenana, I too have been on many years, 35, I'm tapering now, 5 months at about 6% per month is all.  I have a long way to go, but I have heard that when we get down to lower amounts of our original dose, we can have a harder time.  I agree with Margrita that we should just keep going, slow down if we need to til we are are stable, worked through the wd sxs.  I also understand for me anyway, that I will have that "fear" to deal with, at least I think I will, at the realization of losing my crutch, which was actually not a crutch at all, but something that would destroy me if I didn't at least try to get off it and see if my body will heal.  It's my choice to do so, and hopefully support others through it all.

BB has taught me almost everything about a drug I took for so long and never bothered to look up all I could on it.  I just left it all to the doctor, from now on, I will be very much involved in my health decision with doctors.  heck of a way to learn a lesson but better late than never ;)

I think the fear can overwhelm us, but yes, I have heard many say they got a bit more sxs, stress anxiety when they got very low, and ready to jump off ;) You are not alone, hugs, Denise:hug:and PS I'm so proud of you coming this far, a true Benzo Warrior :boxer:

• Like 1

Dear Magrita and Denise,

You have no idea how much your replies touched me. It's so good to know I'm not alone with this. I often feel that way. Few people who are not on drugs like this understand how rough it is to try to get off. Good also to know there are others who were on Klonopin for many years like me. I am going to stay at the dose I'm on for a little longer then try to go a tiny bit lower.

Magrita, what do you mean by symptoms due to tolerance? 

Denise, can I stay in touch with you? Just checking in with someone who understands and is going through the same thing would be such a help. Come to think of it, I guess that's what Benzo Buddies is all about. I've always admired the 12-step programs and how people in them take their journeys to health together.

Many thanks!!

Susan

• Like 2

Forgot to say that I also take Gabapentin 600 mg. (for past few years mostly for restless legs syndrome) and Trazadone 50 mg. (23 years, for sleep). I think these two have helped me sleep okay despite the tapering off K. Also have been taking Celexa antidepressant 20 mg. for 23 years. 

Would taking these three meds help/hinder my taper from Klonopin?

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

Dear Magrita and Denise,

You have no idea how much your replies touched me. It's so good to know I'm not alone with this. I often feel that way. Few people who are not on drugs like this understand how rough it is to try to get off. Good also to know there are others who were on Klonopin for many years like me. I am going to stay at the dose I'm on for a little longer then try to go a tiny bit lower.

Denise, can I stay in touch with you? Just checking in with someone who understands and is going through the same thing would be such a help. Come to think of it, I guess that's what Benzo Buddies is all about. I've always admired the 12-step programs and how people in them take their journeys to health together.

Many thanks!!

Susan

Hi Susan, yes, you can write me any time on my pm or just on the boards, I'll get an alert but this is my go-to in the a.m.'s.  I am around a bit more now as I really find the new format of the BB forum, easier for me to navigate ;)  Plus the fact I need that human contact as well, very much, so you are welcome at "my place" lol!!

2 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Forgot to say that I also take Gabapentin 600 mg. (for past few years mostly for restless legs syndrome) and Trazadone 50 mg. (23 years, for sleep). I think these two have helped me sleep okay despite the tapering off K. Also have been taking Celexa antidepressant 20 mg. for 23 years. 

Thanks again!!

I can't answer the other drugs and their interaction, but what I've read learned from others here, it's better to do one thing at a time.  I think others will chttps://benzobuddies.org/topic/270511-polydrugged-for-3-years-cold-turkey-all-meds/#comment-3441781hime in to help you with interactions, things like that.  I'm lucky I didn't end up on anything else, but it makes me lacking in knowledge.  I do also know there are plenty of folks on BB that have other type of 'scripts they deal with so we'll find out.  I'll see if I can find a thread where they are talking about it and link it here for you, I'll be around, Denise :smitten::hug:(y) PS I'm so glad we both made it to BB  :)

Here's one, don't want to scare you, but looks like this thread is about what they call polydrugs:  I look a little more, now I know what search word to put in.  I just typed in multiple 'scripts, or prescriptions ;)  What I meant was by "scare you" is they talk about CT or cold turkey several meds, or even just one ;)  I'm having such amazing luck with my taper and I really attribute it to a slow-taper, but I feel it's crucial for me with my age, and 2 health issues, T2 Diabetes, and 3rd Degree AV Node Block, both under control (diabetes in remission, pacemaker for the heart, no meds for either thank goodness). Ok, sorry to rattle on, you can tell I don't have much company, :2funny: Denise

PS you may be sorry you asked if we could stay in contact, lol, nah, I'm respectful of others time for sure :)

here's the link to topic:

Edited by [or...]
forgot link

22 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Yes Peacenana, I am sure your symptoms are withdrawal related symptoms. I had symptoms throughout my taper due to tolerance, I was a long termer 26 years. You will come through this! well done for getting this far.  Just keep on going, slow it down more if need be.   Its not right that we have to go through this, but its the only way out, symptoms are dreadful but keep in mind they are temporary.

You've got this

Here is a link to another thread you started

Just wanted @[Pe...] to know that link @[ma...] is in the archive for old forum.  Maybe she already knows about that, just wasn't sure in case she didn't know she couldn't go to it and post more??  Hope that makes sense, and that I am right about what I am saying?  Let me know as I don't think you can put the two threads together "here" either??  Thanks much, Denise

Just one more thing @[Pe...], I did read your post from link magrita gave you and wanted you to know that for me, yes, those emotional outbursts I have gotten, and getting them again first 3 or so days I last tapered, are I am certain, wd sxs. Also, I was in Tolerance Withdrawal, I believe now, for many years.  Tolerance wd, how I understand it, is when the dose(s) your are taking are no longer doing the job so doctors will give you a larger dose, or another pill I think.  But if the dose I was taking for example, was no longer effective, than there are evidently wd sxs going on, if I'm not put on larger dose.  Hope that makes sense, and hope I am right in the definition @[ma...]

I don't know at what point I became tolerant of my same 1 mg dose. I was on it 35 years I think I mentioned, but I felt like a crazy person many times, got remarried 3 very short marriages, finally felt I was not capable of marriage.  Now I've been alone for 23 years, and I know how much damage the benzo did. Plus I wasn't all that normal before '88 when I looked for help and was first prescribed C. 

Anyway, the main thing I focus on is the belief that I can heal now, and even see it happening so early in my taper, 5 months.  I didn't know any of that before I found BB, and people here that help us find the way ;) Denise PS Ok, I'm really done now :smitten:

7 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Hi Susan

Tolerance, is when the original dose of the drug had become less effective,  a higher dose is needed to obtain the original effect.  I was symptomatic before i started my taper and I didnt want to keep taking more, I wanted off, the safest way possible.   I never stabilised, I had symptoms throughout my taper, no matter what i did, holding, going slower, nothing worked so i made the decision to keep tapering every 2 weeks regardless.  Its not something I would advise, I was just so determined to get off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [[o...] said:

Hope that makes sense, and hope I am right in the definition

Yes Denise It makes perfect sense.  I am so sorry for what you went through.  I made some stupid decisions in my life when I was suffering tolerance symptoms.  I was clearly not myself. I very nearly walked out on my marriage, and lost my home, crazy stinking thinking.   Its very scary coming off these meds, especially when you've been on them long term,  but its the best thing I've ever done.  Benzo's in the early days, you think you've found a friend, and then they turn on you, and take you apart, piece by piece.  After 26 years taking these devil drugs, when you see the real you emerging, intact" its a great feeling.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

Yes Denise It makes perfect sense.  I am so sorry for what you went through.  I made some stupid decisions in my life when I was suffering tolerance symptoms.  I was clearly not myself. I very nearly walked out on my marriage, and lost my home, crazy stinking thinking.   Its very scary coming off these meds, especially when you've been on them long term,  but its the best thing I've ever done.  Benzo's in the early days, you think you've found a friend, and then they turn on you, and take you apart, piece by piece.  After 26 years taking these devil drugs, when you see the real you emerging, intact" its a great feeling.

I have such hopes and dreams of that quality of life I am pursuing with every thing I've got :)  Thanks for your message Magrita, I love it when I know someone truly understands :smitten:I am so glad your marriage has lasted :hug:Denise

• Love 1

On 11/08/2023 at 14:24, [[P...] said:

Thanks again!!

@[Pe...]

I think not being honest with your pdoc hinders your healing process. Celexa is a good enough SSRI, which still may be helping you to some extent.

The best way to check if an SSRI is still working is to hold the benzo and try a monthly reduction of SSRI. They have a very long half-life, so WD effects won’t hit you at once and you may feel fine.

Celexa has a half-life of 36 hrs, according to this article “Half-Life and Withdrawal Symptoms of Antidepressants“.

I’d say 5% every ten days is the fastest route, having consulted this article from Psychiatric Times.

I’m not sure messing up with your Celexa is a good idea at all, actually. Just concentrate on the Klonopin.

I tried tapering ADs before the benzos and all hell broke loose.. I mean, literally.  I didn’t know who I was anymore. The anxiety was paralyzing.

Gabapentin is an anti-convulsant and mood stabilizer, with strong anxiolytic properties. Which could perfectly replace the clonazepan.

It’s also addictive unfortunately and will probably have to be tapered somewhere in the future. Don't think about it know. We tackle one problem, not all at once. 

@[ma...] has an excellent point with BZD tolerance. Clonazepam does next to nothing for you at present. Only your faith in it is unshakeable.

We have learned to worship the BZD as if they were our gods, best friends, last resorts etc. This dependence has such a huge psychological component.

Hope I was of any help. Take care:hug:

Paula

On 11/08/2023 at 05:24, [[P...] said:

Thanks again!!

I can't remember if I addressed this reply Anna, but there are folks I've seen here on BB that have Poly-drugged, a new term I've learned recently ;)  They too have multi-drugs to taper, but I think I would do one at a time, but I only have one to do so I can't speak from experience.  Did you get some answers from others "in the know" here?  Let me know if your are up to it, how you are doing :hug:

I think a lot about the folks here that have gotten rid of other drugs while tapering a benzo, or other benzos.  I think the main thing is to go slow at it.  I am seeing/reading several replies from folks that wean too fast, or CT, and for me, it wouldn't be worth it to save time.  Everyone gets to make their own taper method, and speed-of, that has a compliant caregiver (MD etc.). Some are much worse off if they are CT'd by a doctor/NP etc.

It's people that taper slow that seem to have a much easier go of it 💞

I know at first it was hard to read some of the stories from others, the scary ones, but now I know it's really a way to learn from both our mistakes, and theirs.  Somehow it came to me how much I don't really believe in mistakes as I believe they are more training-days for us, and if we learn from them, how can they be mistakes.  Is that philosophical ;) I never thought of myself as being that ;)  Anyway, I'm going to keep reading others experiences because they can only help me have all the info I need to either avoid some things, and "how-to's" to my road-trip to freedom from benzos ;) hugs, Denise 💞

• 1 month later...

Hello Denise and everyone else on this thread. I have been away from BB for a month but am glad to be back! Since I last wrote, I stopped Klonopin after a very, very slow taper of two years. I did okay with that but two weeks or so after my last dose (just drops by then) I began experiencing a return of symptoms such as insomnia and anxiety. Also, the IBS gut issues that I managed to heal through diets and supplements (GI doctor overseeing) are now back. The NP in my primary doc's office thinks the return of these problems is totally attributable to my K withdrawal. She advised an increase in the AD celexa (20 - 30 mg.), increase in Trazadone (50 - 63). I am holding the gabapentin dose at 400 mg. 

I believe the increase in celexa has worsened my insomnia, which seemed manageable with the added Trazadone only, so I'm going back to former dose. 

Despite what the NP said, I am having trouble believing that these symptoms could reoccur WEEKS after my final dose of K. Does this seem right to anyone? I am prepared to stay the course but the anxiety and sleeplessness were so bad last night that I took a small piece of K - my first relapse in 2 days of being off totally. I feel horrible about this and can use support. Obviously I need to delve deeper at BB to educate myself.

Thank you so much.

Susan

Hi @[Pe...]

I first want to congratulate you on being benzo free! What an achievement. I'm so happy for you. 

Regarding your symptoms. These are very tricky to navigate. And I don't have an answer for you. It is very common for symptoms to appear out of nowhere several weeks to months after we've jumped but it could also be something else. In my case I developed gut issues one week after jumping. Initially I ascribed it to jumping but it didn't feel benzo related to me. Months later I mentioned it to my doctor and ultimately it turned out to be gluten related. I'm not saying yours is gluten related,  I'm just saying how difficult it is to navigate symptoms during this process. 

Regarding your rescue dose. I can see you feel really guilty about it. Please try and write it off and not dwell on it anymore. I don't want to make you feel worse about it I'm just so scared about rescue doses because I have seen so many people take them and end up being dependant again. Is it really worth the risk? 

I hope your symptoms get better soon. Every day off is one day closer to full recovery. I'm now 10 months off and hopeful to turn a corner soon. I haven't been able to track my recovery because the gluten caused lots of issues similar to withdrawal but now that I'm off it, I'll hopefully see some progress.