Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Symptoms so far

[Al...]

Here is a list of symptoms that I have experienced over the last 6 months of withdrawal.

still experience a majority of these and my window and wave pattern is erratic to say the least.

Is this normal?

Fatigue and tiredness even after a good nights sleep.

Cog fog and confusion

Short term memory issues

Issues with speaking

Nerve pain over whole body

Numbness in hands and feet

Feelings of electric shock 

Facial numbness

Twitching 

Spasms 

Cramps 

Restless legs 

Weak legs

Shaking or trembling after exertion 

Pain behind eyes 

Shooting pain in face

Headache

Dizziness and vertigo

Electric shocks in neck

Nausea.

Excess salivating.

Pain in the eyeball

Tongue spasms

Tongue pain

Weak bladder 

Need to frequently go 

An inability to squeeze to go 

Blind spots

Sensitive eyes

• Like 2

I’ve had a lot of the symptoms you’ve mentioned. Not all of them, though. All of these are very common in benzo withdrawal. How far along are you? Are you still tapering?

Hello! I CTed 7 months ago and I’ve not been the same since lol what about you? What symptoms have been hardest for you to deal with?

• Like 1

Hey Alex, many of them are familiar, and I'm guessing they are normal benzo symptoms.  I could add insomnia, migraines, head pressure, blurry vision, digestive issues, loss of appetite, depression, emotional sensitivity, noise and light sensitivity, etc.  

12 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

My god Glitter yes. I’ve noticed if I’m even slightly stressed the symptoms come on strong. Is it the same for you?

Yes, most definitely.  Sorry!  Hopefully someday we'll be "normal" again.

You've made such progress, having gone 7 months since CT.  That's amazing!  Are you doing okay?

Hello Glitter. I mean yes and no. There’s no end in sight and I can’t remember what it feels like to be ‘normal’ but I’ve kind of adapted to my body’s new weird rhythms. I think there is a very slow improvement. What about you?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Here is a list of symptoms that I have experienced over the last 6 months of withdrawal.

still experience a majority of these and my window and wave pattern is erratic to say the least.

Is this normal?

Cog fog and confusion

Short term memory issues

Issues with speaking

Facial numbness

Twitching 

Spasms 

Cramps 

Restless legs 

Weak legs

Pain behind eyes 

Shooting pain in face

Headache

Dizziness and vertigo

Electric shocks in neck

Nausea.

Excess salivating.

Pain in the eyeball

Tongue spasms

Tongue pain

Weak bladder 

Need to frequently go 

Blind spots

Sensitive eyes

I have most of these - are you getting off Diazepam too?

10 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

I have most of these - are you getting off Diazepam too?

Yes mate. I’ve been eating 10mg semi casually since 2014, on and off and then I started eating them consistently last year, 10-20 mg a day for about three months.

Once I tried to stop I knew I had made a terrible mistake because it just felt different to before.

I had always naively assumed they were basically harmless compared to the other stuff I was taking, and I think I had probably suffered numerous minor withdrawals over the years before my big event.

How are you feeling Mark?

21 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Yes mate. I’ve been eating 10mg semi casually since 2014, on and off and then I started eating them consistently last year, 10-20 mg a day for about three months.

Once I tried to stop I knew I had made a terrible mistake because it just felt different to before.

I had always naively assumed they were basically harmless compared to the other stuff I was taking, and I think I had probably suffered numerous minor withdrawals over the years before my big event.

How are you feeling Mark?

A bit shit today. shaky, feeling hot, itchy skin, tired, back pain...list becomes boring after awhile! I can understand the minor withdrawals - I think that is what I have been having on and off for a year as I would run out...then 2 weeks later need more as I thought I was having anxiety (created by me) rather than the effect of withdrawal. God, seems a bloody long haul! Have any of your symptoms improved at all?? It's very hard to get off them in the UK I think as we invariably go CT instead of tapering...at least GP's are semi-aware of the harm but don't help when you actually really need it!

• Like 2

I am up against it with availability of doctors that are "up" on all the info about Benzos.  In a way I am kind of glad as so many of us still need those scripts to be written so we can get off the dang things.  I read somewhere about a person being cut off because where they live doctors aren't allowed to prescribe one of the benzos, the ones they were taking. 

I had one experience with CT and I pray I never "have" to go through that again.  I just figured I could stop taking them so didn't refill my script, this is right about 9 years after I'd be prescribed.  OMG, I turned into a zombie, must have looked the part too as a friend of mine nearly had a panic attack herself when she saw me in a Walmart parking lot, wandering aimlessly I guess looking for my truck.  Like I really didn't need to be driving :idiot:

I was a lot younger then, I could have maybe worked through the wd sxs, but not today, it slow but sure for me now ;) Btw, I had the shakes 2nd day after last taper, itchy skin, hot sweats and definitely tired, felt like I slept for one whole day!  And I only cut 3% when I was stable after a 14 or so days holding.  You never know how each of us is going to react so I for one just take it a day at a time and listen to the sxs, taper accordingly, but I won't go over 3%, big chicken but better that me thinks :smitten:

6 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Is this normal?

Cog fog and confusion

Short term memory issues

Issues with speaking

Facial numbness

Twitching 

Spasms 

Cramps 

Restless legs 

Weak legs

Pain behind eyes 

Shooting pain in face

Headache

Dizziness and vertigo

Electric shocks in neck

Nausea.

Excess salivating.

Pain in the eyeball

Tongue spasms

Tongue pain

Weak bladder 

Need to frequently go 

Blind spots

Sensitive eyes

I'm guessing you went CT but I don't see your Signature/history info so not sure.  I'll read further after I post this reply and see if you've updated in the thread, so sorry to hear you are suffering all of this.  The ones that really caught my eye have to do with the nerve issues.  I have a lot of that in my body, but have kept it at a minimum by using Magnesium. 

I use it in different forms like I take a capsule of Mag Citrate 2 x per day, I started low as it can cause diarrhea, but I now take 500 mg 2 x per day.  I also soak in Epsom Salt baths which really helps with sleep, or at least to get me relaxed enough "to fall asleep". Sometime I wake up no matter what I try, and can't go back to sleep.  I am now starting to use a Magnesium Chloride Oil for my body but since it's an oil, I am mixing it with my fave body moisturizer, which is unscented Cera Ve but anything you like most.

I was getting burning teenie pains, then super sharp, throbbing pains and I never knew where they were going to appear. Not sure how much is wd sxs, or my T2 Diabetes which is under control just with my nutrition, no pills. Leg and foot cramps hurt so bad as well.  All is almost non-existent now and I really think the mag helps, can't be 100% sure though.  Could be healing as I taper as well as signs of Diabetes diminish.

Thought I would mention it in case you can try something like that maybe, nerve pain is maybe the worse pain, well, no, migraine is worse but those are gone as well, for now at least ;)

6 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Hello! I CTed 7 months ago and I’ve not been the same since lol what about you? What symptoms have been hardest for you to deal with?

Ok, answered my thoughts on your wd sxs, sorry should have read the whole thread first ;)

I just remembered what I heard when I started 5 months ago, my taper, and that is when the wd sxs hit, remember it is your body healing itself.  I admit when I'm hit with some wd sxs that's not my first thought, but I try to remember :2funny:

8 months off and here's the ones I have that you have (plus others):

Twitching 

Cramps 

Restless legs 

Weak legs

Shaking or trembling after exertion (MAJORLY) 

Headache (Pressure) 

Dizziness 

Excess salivating

Sensitive eyes

1 hour ago, [[o...] said:

Ok, answered my thoughts on your wd sxs, sorry should have read the whole thread first ;)

I just remembered what I heard when I started 5 months ago, my taper, and that is when the wd sxs hit, remember it is your body healing itself.  I admit when I'm hit with some wd sxs that's not my first thought, but I try to remember :2funny:

Hey Oregonlady sorry for the lack of signature, it seems to have been wiped during the site revamp.

Thank you for your support and all the best to you.

It is hard to remember it’s just the benzos and the body trying to heal isn’t it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

Yes, very hard to do, easy to say right ;)

Did you know the old site is still available (as far as I know) and you can go get your History there?  I'll give you the link in case you want to do that ;) Denise

Hereya go, it looks to still be opened ;)http://198.58.99.130/forum/index.php

Thank you Denise.

• Like 1

That numbness thing scares me pretty good too since I tried asking my doctor to slowly taper me off benzo, but that was before I still knew basically nothing, he tapered me . 25 a month and I woke up with whole left side of body completely numb similar to @[Co...] About Me story.  He's the only person I have come in contact with that had that happened, just like you could draw a line down very middle of body and the right side was awake, and the left was numb.  His and mine both lasted 3 days if I recall his About Me story right.  Mine was 2 Summers ago, not counting this Summer, and my left arm still has partially numb places include some parts of hand and fingers.

I was given multiple tests in emergency then more individual tests through MD and Cardio, no reason was found but not either doctor admitted to the clonazepam taper being a possibility but I knew after I got to BB that is what caused it.  Too fast a taper for me personally, I see others doing it, but I couldn't handle it.

I am ever so grateful for BB.  I put on my big-girl pants and posted a link for this site as well as telling a short-version of my story to friends and family who had no idea, except I had a lot of issues.  Every issue save one, I can attribute to the same warnings they have for side-effects from benzos.  Sorry, got carried away, don't want to high-jack thread at all, denise:smitten:

• 8 months later...
On 10/08/2023 at 21:10, [[o...] said:

That numbness thing scares me pretty good too since I tried asking my doctor to slowly taper me off benzo, but that was before I still knew basically nothing, he tapered me . 25 a month and I woke up with whole left side of body completely numb similar to @[Co...] About Me story.  He's the only person I have come in contact with that had that happened, just like you could draw a line down very middle of body and the right side was awake, and the left was numb.  His and mine both lasted 3 days if I recall his About Me story right.  Mine was 2 Summers ago, not counting this Summer, and my left arm still has partially numb places include some parts of hand and fingers.

I was given multiple tests in emergency then more individual tests through MD and Cardio, no reason was found but not either doctor admitted to the clonazepam taper being a possibility but I knew after I got to BB that is what caused it.  Too fast a taper for me personally, I see others doing it, but I couldn't handle it.

I am ever so grateful for BB.  I put on my big-girl pants and posted a link for this site as well as telling a short-version of my story to friends and family who had no idea, except I had a lot of issues.  Every issue save one, I can attribute to the same warnings they have for side-effects from benzos.  Sorry, got carried away, don't want to high-jack thread at all, denise:smitten:

@oregonlady,  how did the numbness subside for you? I think Colin's doctor reinstated him a bit and that helped. 

16 hours ago, [[o...] said:

Hi nlav, I'm ashamed to say I don't remember exactly when I got reinstated to the full 1 mg but it was in like within a week I'm sure I still had 5 mg that I was splitting in two to get down to that supposedly 25% but I was doing it with my fingernails I mean I was just breaking the pills so God only knows what percentage of the pill I was actually taking when I was tapering my doctor just let me do do it that way because I said I could, I didn't know any other way but I still have some numbness in my left arm that's never gone away but within a couple a day couple or three days I was reinstated to a full 1 mg straight back to 1 mg but the numbness was already leaving my body I do know that but see I was still on the .5 tablets, just split in half.  Had more left. I was just taking only a quarter of a tablet and I don't know if I mentioned it but he was taking me down or telling me to trim a quarter a month so 25 close to 25% a month that's a lot well it was a lot for me let's say 😬 sorry about the no punctuation etc I just dictated this from my phone

Thanks @[Or...]😊 

• Like 1