Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Simplifying Clonazepam Taper: Would You Advise to Cut from 3 Doses/day to 2 or Even 1/day?

[Gr...]

After joining this community in May, then reading many helpful posts and receiving wonderful advice from several benzo buddies, I first stabilized for about 1 month taking 3 daily doses of 0.125mg (0.375mg). This was after a 25-year-long PRN, pill-in-the-pocket approach that led to serious tolerance withdrawal symptoms last year. 

At first, things were rough but over the weeks the stabilization did work well. Meanwhile, I reached 0.090mg 3x/day (0.270mg), a 28% decrease. Except for occasional mild anxiety waves and a "walking on a boat" sensation that has not changed at all (I also have very complex vision problems so perhaps the latter is unrelated to the benzo history), all cuts have been relatively smooth.

I'm now pondering whether I should simplify my next steps and move to 2 doses per day (or even 1) as I continue tapering. Perhaps by cutting one dose slowly to zero? And if so, which one? 

I realize that --like everything else in the benzo world-- this is really a matter of individual physiology and emotional patterns. Still, perhaps your much-appreciated input and advice would help me significantly.

Thank you so much!!:clap: 

• Like 2

I hate to see you rock the boat, sorry, I know you're dealing with that symptom which is quite common by the way.  But you're right, it would probably simplify things to cut down the number of times you dose, this will happen to all of them eventually.

I'd shoot for the time of day you can afford to be a little uncomfortable, most will choose the middle dose so they can still use the nighttime dose for sleep (if possible) and the morning dose to combat the heightened cortisol levels. What is your best time of day?

I'm thrilled to hear its gone so well for you, or as well as can be expected. 

I was in the same boat like you a month ago.  .125 x 3. Regreatably I had to updose more to .5 that I take in two .250 doses x day. 

You don't seem to react badly to changes so if I were in your shoes I would try to symplify the doses to have a more simple taper. 

You may try two doses a day .125 in the morning and .125 at night once you reach the total dose of .250. You are at .270 so you are close. Keep tapering slowly to that value to test how it goes.

At .125 twice a day you can taper those two doses till the end without major changes. 

It's at this point that you have to be very careful how fast you taper. It is actually when even small changes can have an impact in reseptors ocupancy and you may experience symptoms. 

Go slow! You are almost there!

Mice

Thank you both --Pamster and Mice-- for this advice. And also for the "warnings" about not rocking the boat, as it were... I fully understand and will proceed slowly. Choosing the middle dose, which I take at 3 Pm, makes sense also. I'll wait till the end of my current cut (another 7 days) and then I'll begin tapering the 3 PM dose step by step. This was very helpful!

Edited by [Gr...]
My mistake

nice to meet you @gringo, first time I saw a post of yours, but adjusting to the new forum, and I hadn't gotten real used to the old one so it hasn't been too hard for me thank goodness ;)

Sounds like you have some very good pointers on your taper already, I'm doing a very slow one, in 5 months I've just tapered about 6% per month, but I've avoided any major wd sxs evidently. 

I did want to add that I don't plan when I'll taper next because I seem to learn as I go and want some wiggle-room to just look at whether or not I am truly feeling stable before I cut again.  I'm a bit ocd with pretty high anxiety if things aren't perfect, so I try to relax more, keep it simple I guess best describes me now, which feels like some healing to me ;)

Have a good one and so glad we both found BB, Denise

16 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Are you using pills or liquid to taper?

Hi Micedana, I'm using pills via cutting and also the powder from filing (nailfile) the cuts. It gets a little involved since the powder I put into capsules, which is another reason for trying to cut down to 2 doses per day (or even less eventually).

Edited by [Gr...]
Corrected an error

5 hours ago, [[o...] said:

nice to meet you @gringo, first time I saw a post of yours, but adjusting to the new forum, and I hadn't gotten real used to the old one so it hasn't been too hard for me thank goodness ;)

Sounds like you have some very good pointers on your taper already, I'm doing a very slow one, in 5 months I've just tapered about 6% per month, but I've avoided any major wd sxs evidently. 

I did want to add that I don't plan when I'll taper next because I seem to learn as I go and want some wiggle-room to just look at whether or not I am truly feeling stable before I cut again.  I'm a bit ocd with pretty high anxiety if things aren't perfect, so I try to relax more, keep it simple I guess best describes me now, which feels like some healing to me ;)

Have a good one and so glad we both found BB, Denise

Hello Denise, thank you for your comments and it's a pleasure to meet you. Believe me -- I fully understand the problems a "quest for perfection" may cause in us anxious folks... You too have a good one!

@[Gr...]Just wanted to say hi and sending positive thoughts your way! You are very close. I take one dose of clonazepam at night which works well for me, but I never took it multiple times a day to start. Glad to hear it’s been relatively smooth for you. We’ve got this!

On 11/08/2023 at 01:16, [[L...] said:

@[Gr...]Just wanted to say hi and sending positive thoughts your way! You are very close. I take one dose of clonazepam at night which works well for me, but I never took it multiple times a day to start. Glad to hear it’s been relatively smooth for you. We’ve got this!

Truly appreciate the positive thoughts and encouragement, Likeaphoenixfromashes! Thanks!!!