Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Afraid

[Tr...]

I titrated from 10mg of val to 4. Been there for about 8 months due to different ailments. Was sent to er yesterday and missed 2 doses meaning 2mg last night and 2 this morning. Should i just stop it, take this next dose of 2mg and when i get home i dont know when cut to 1 then jump or take next dose then tomorrow get the full 4 and when home cut by 1 and stop. Cant do .5 reduction.  VA wont allow me. Which is my best option im scared

• Like 1

This is what I'd say, for what it's worth! Take your next dose and don't worry about making up the lost doses. Since you've been disrupted, your CNS will probably be too, and won't be happy. Don't give it any more to have to cope with. Stick with the same dose you've been using until you've stabilized again. Then titrate down.

The idea is to go down, but also to make yourself as comfortable as possible as you do. This is hard hard hard already!

I don't know if what I think is possible. But that's what I'd do for the moment! You'll also buy yourself some time to quietly make a thoughtful decision. Decisions, I find, are not easy for me these days. Not yet, anyway!

• Like 2

There's someone here named Libertas who is very, very good with these kinds of things. He may be a moderator. He writes as if he has a neurochemistry background! If you can navigate your way to him/her, I feel confident you'd bet the best possible advice! :hug:Thinking of you!

The half life on valium (diazepam) is very long: 20 - 100 hrs and that doesn't even count it's active metabolite. 

If you miss a dose, just take your regular dose and move on. That's the one positive of that particular benzo - the long half life tends to keep a stable level in your system even if you skip a dose here and there.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

The half life on valium (diazepam) is very long: 20 - 100 hrs and that doesn't even count it's active metabolite. 

If you miss a dose, just take your regular dose and move on. That's the one positive of that particular benzo - the long half life tends to keep a stable level in your system even if you skip a dose here and there.

I missed 2 doses. I took the 2mg tonight should I take the 4mg tomorrow and whenever I get home taper again by 1mg per ashton? Sounds "safe"

1 hour ago, [[H...] said:

This is what I'd say, for what it's worth! Take your next dose and don't worry about making up the lost doses. Since you've been disrupted, your CNS will probably be too, and won't be happy. Don't give it any more to have to cope with. Stick with the same dose you've been using until you've stabilized again. Then titrate down.

The idea is to go down, but also to make yourself as comfortable as possible as you do. This is hard hard hard already!

I don't know if what I think is possible. But that's what I'd do for the moment! You'll also buy yourself some time to quietly make a thoughtful decision. Decisions, I find, are not easy for me these days. Not yet, anyway!

You mean go back to 4 and start from there?

42 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

I missed 2 doses. I took the 2mg tonight should I take the 4mg tomorrow and whenever I get home taper again by 1mg per ashton? Sounds "safe"

Hi, as Nathan said, the valium in your system stays for a long time, so you won't instantly crash and burn. You'll be okay. Just pick up your regular dose as soon as you can(I think you've already started doing that!) and go on as you have been. Give yourself a few days to stabilize at home, too. Then make your cuts, based on sound research that you've done. Ashton recommends cutting by 10% at a time. Please don't go down to 1 mg twice a day! It's too fast and will be so hard on you. 

Try to get your doctor to leave you at 2 mg, twice a day and then make your taper plan. There are lots of people here on this forum who will help you and walk with you through this. IDK why you were in emergency or why you are in the hospital so I'm not trying to give you medical advice, just some direction on tapering down. You've already done a lot and gone very fast, which may be what put you in the hospital. In this forum are many, many seasoned people. They are much more knowledgable regarding benzo tapers than the medical community which is shocking but true. We've all been used to turning to doctors for help but this is something they don't know about. Not their fault. But still, they don't. You will have to drive this bus! You'll be able to make good decisions. You won't be alone. Again, you need to give yourself time to formulate these decisions. Do all you can to get your doctor to keep you on the same dose while you investigate.

It's vital that you give yourself time and space to calm down and plan. Sadly, I've seen medical professionals mistakenly diagnose people who are withdrawing from benzos with things like psychosis, fibromyalgia or Lyme disease and prescribe meds that made things much worse. Don't want that for you. It's the kind of thing you have to learn about yourself, because the medical community is NOT up to speed yet. I can't say that enough at this juncture.

That's the best advice I can give you. I hope it helps!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hello @[Tr...].   I had logged out for the evening when you posted so am just now reading your post.  You have received excellent input from both @[Na...] and @[Ho...].  

What did you decide to do?

Do you have the option of continuing to hold at 4mg of diazepam?  This would give us time to learn more about your taper and medication history so we can help you formulate a plan for moving forward. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, [[H...] said:

Hi, as Nathan said, the valium in your system stays for a long time, so you won't instantly crash and burn. You'll be okay. Just pick up your regular dose as soon as you can(I think you've already started doing that!) and go on as you have been. Give yourself a few days to stabilize at home, too. Then make your cuts, based on sound research that you've done. Ashton recommends cutting by 10% at a time. Please don't go down to 1 mg twice a day! It's too fast and will be so hard on you. 

Try to get your doctor to leave you at 2 mg, twice a day and then make your taper plan. There are lots of people here on this forum who will help you and walk with you through this. IDK why you were in emergency or why you are in the hospital so I'm not trying to give you medical advice, just some direction on tapering down. You've already done a lot and gone very fast, which may be what put you in the hospital. In this forum are many, many seasoned people. They are much more knowledgable regarding benzo tapers than the medical community which is shocking but true. We've all been used to turning to doctors for help but this is something they don't know about. Not their fault. But still, they don't. You will have to drive this bus! You'll be able to make good decisions. You won't be alone. Again, you need to give yourself time to formulate these decisions. Do all you can to get your doctor to keep you on the same dose while you investigate.

It's vital that you give yourself time and space to calm down and plan. Sadly, I've seen medical professionals mistakenly diagnose people who are withdrawing from benzos with things like psychosis, fibromyalgia or Lyme disease and prescribe meds that made things much worse. Don't want that for you. It's the kind of thing you have to learn about yourself, because the medical community is NOT up to speed yet. I can't say that enough at this juncture.

That's the best advice I can give you. I hope it helps!!

I can not go down .5 mg every taper. "Sadly" im at the VA hospital and they wont do that. I can on my own cut down 1mg every 2 weeks like Ashton suggests. Thats best i could do. So im doomed this way? Im hospital because of kidney infection due to uti. Im disabled.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Hello @[Tr...].   I had logged out for the evening when you posted so am just now reading your post.  You have received excellent input from both @[Na...] and @[Ho...].  

What did you decide to do?

Do you have the option of continuing to hold at 4mg of diazepam?  This would give us time to learn more about your taper and medication history so we can help you formulate a plan for moving forward. 

Yes i have that option. The only option i dont have is to cut more than .5 meaning 1mg is the most i can cut. "Sadly" im part of the govt system if i do something other than what i can do i can be in real trouble.  Im prone to being hospitalized so if i try cutting more than 1mg and i come in theres no way they can give me less than 1mg and ill be back to higher dose and most likely in trouble. So im doomed if all i can do is 1mg at times? Im really scared. I think im destined to crash and burn. Im afraid to even say how high i am on narcotis to try to deal with central neuropathic pain . Also high dose og gabapentin they are cutting i want it or not becauseof my kidneys. Also max dose lyrica. What can i do, can you advise me base on this?.😭

• Like 1

Let’s take this one step at a time.  Are you ok with returning to a dose of 4mg?  Am I understanding. correctly that (1) you have 2mg tablets and (2) you take 2mg twice a day (morning and evening)? 

What is your current prescription?  Is it for 2mg twice a day or something else?  If so, what?

Would your prescriber be willing to change your prescription if provided with evidence-based reasons for doing so?  For example, one option to consider is that diazepam is available as a 1mg/mL oral solution.  

It would also be helpful for us to know:

Your taper history from 10mg to 4mg —  what reductions did you make and when did you make them?  For example, according to one of your past posts, you were taking a total of 8mg (4mg twice a day) in April 2022. 

Are you taking any other medications or supplements at this time?  If so, have you checked for interactions between them and diazepam?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Let’s take this one step at a time.  Are you ok with returning to a dose of 4mg?  Am I understanding. correctly that (1) you have 2mg tablets and (2) you take 2mg twice a day (morning and evening)? 

What is your current prescription?  Is it for 2mg twice a day or something else?  If so, what?

Would your prescriber be willing to change your prescription if provided with evidence-based reasons for doing so?  For example, one option to consider is that diazepam is available as a 1mg/mL oral solution.  

It would also be helpful for us to know:

Your taper history from 10mg to 4mg —  what reductions did you make and when did you make them?  For example, according to one of your past posts, you were taking a total of 8mg (4mg twice a day) in April 2022. 

Are you taking any other medications or supplements at this time?  If so, have you checked for interactions between them and diazepam?

I take 2mg twice a day. No there is no option to getting 1mg liquid is whatever they carry and 2 mg of diazepam is the lowest. I ca nt remember the pace i cut i think it was 1mg monthly cant recalll. I take 1800 gabapentin they are cutting me off of it. I take 600 lyrica. I take 50mg lamotrigine mirtazapine efexxor 112.5 100mg methadone 8mg tizanidine 80 baclofen 150 dantrolene. Diazepam is 2mg twice a day. 

Im crying im really scared. Im disabled with chronic central neuropathic pain my feet and anus are burning im disabled upper chest down. I need best advise possible given all the poison theyve given me. I think this will be horrendous or if i can really go off these crap. Been on diazepam for more than 9 years or 10. Gaba the same. Ivve dama ged myself. Only with God's help it can pass without major issues.

Advise me please im a wreack. Dont leave me by myself please dont ignore this post. Walk me through a safe way pleeease

• Like 1

Thank you for the additional information.  It is very helpful.  Regrettably, I just got a call about a family emergency that I must attend to so won’t be able to respond immediately.  I’m sure other members will stop by to offer suggestions.

10 hours ago, [[N...] said:

Have you seen my aditional post to Liberta? Can you advise from that? Dont have much time to let doctor know the plan im choosing afraid they take their own. Anything?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Thank you for the additional information.  It is very helpful.  Regrettably, I just got a call about a family emergency that I must attend to so won’t be able to respond immediately.  I’m sure other members will stop by to offer suggestions.

Hope you can reply soon. Time is critical for me. Also you are the only one replying. Scared it will get buried in the pile and i get no more help 

Hi TrenxT,

I have read this thread.

I think that you need to buy yourself some time in order to discuss this further in terms of your taper plan moving forward.  You can continue this on the site.

For now…I agree with @[Ho...]…stay with your 2mg twice a day.  Continue on as normal even after missing those two doses.  When you are home, you can complete your med history with Libertas, and create a taper plan that will work for you.  Let your body get back to your regular dosing for now and get some time between you and the missed doses.  

Is that plan do-able?  Simple is always best…and, when we don’t know what to do, just sit until the path forward becomes more clear.  

• Like 1

I would just stay on your current plan and pretend you didn’t miss the two doses. Or if it makes you feel better, throw in an additional 2mg dose if you must.

To be honest I’m not sure how your doctor figures into you missing a couple of doses. I must be missing something or not understand.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

I would just stay on your current plan and pretend you didn’t miss the two doses. Or if it makes you feel better, throw in an additional 2mg dose if you must.

To be honest I’m not sure how your doctor figures into you missing a couple of doses. I must be missing something or not understand.

I missed 2 doses and she said to just stay off and not get back in. Iknew i couldn't do it. So i took 2mg last night. Doing the 4mg startung now, just took 2mg will take 2 at night to make it 4mg. Read what i posted to Libertas now that you are clear and check what you think

1 hour ago, [[F...] said:

Hi TrenxT,

I have read this thread.

I think that you need to buy yourself some time in order to discuss this further in terms of your taper plan moving forward.  You can continue this on the site.

For now…I agree with @[Ho...]…stay with your 2mg twice a day.  Continue on as normal even after missing those two doses.  When you are home, you can complete your med history with Libertas, and create a taper plan that will work for you.  Let your body get back to your regular dosing for now and get some time between you and the missed doses.  

Is that plan do-able?  Simple is always best…and, when we don’t know what to do, just sit until the path forward becomes more clear.  

Problem here is they want me off valium and gabapentin theres no way out. With valium thing is they wont let me be long time there. And anyways all they would allow to cut is by 1mg. Thats why im desperate. I read i could cut the gaba to 450 biweekly so to be off in 2 months. No way i can get formulation for 450mg of gabapentin. Would have to be 400 biweekly and then the last 200 since im on 600mg lyrica. So those are really my options and sadly time not on my side. What can you help me with here? I cant stressed how petrified i am.the 1mg liquid will never happen. I come to the hospital constantly and no you cant take your own meds even if prescribed through a pharmacy this is Veterans Affair hospital.  And with constant hospitalization i wouldn't be able to get nothing less than 1mg here. My head about to explode. Crying uncontrollably from other pain plus thinking how to go about it. Like if it could be spread and take a certain amount every x days. Dont even know what im saying anymore hence the help

If they will allow you to maintain your current amount of Valium, do that. You could possibly say that you don't want to titrate down on multiple meds at one time. Ask them to let you go one at a time, and as slowly as possible, because you are already in a lot of pain and discomfort.

It's hard to imagine that they don't have a pill splitter in the hospital pharmacy. Most pills have a score line for that purpose. Your doctor could ask for an exception, possibly. But if they will not split pills in the hospital pharmacy, you'll have no choice since you're in the hospital so often.

You could possible go to 2 mg once a day plus 1 mg once a day to slow it down. Just go as slowly as the hospital will allow, in the smallest increments you can!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, [[H...] said:

If they will allow you to maintain your current amount of Valium, do that. You could possibly say that you don't want to titrate down on multiple meds at one time. Ask them to let you go one at a time, and as slowly as possible, because you are already in a lot of pain and discomfort.

It's hard to imagine that they don't have a pill splitter in the hospital pharmacy. Most pills have a score line for that purpose. Your doctor could ask for an exception, possibly. But if they will not split pills in the hospital pharmacy, you'll have no choice since you're in the hospital so often.

You could possible go to 2 mg once a day plus 1 mg once a day to slow it down. Just go as slowly as the hospital will allow, in the smallest increments you can!

I can split it in 2. So to get 1mg. But for how long stay in 4 and 3 and 2 nd 1 then to get off?  Will the wd be hard? I cant take more pain aside from the cnp. Its unbearable and messing me up.

As predicted doctor will take me off gabapentin in 2 months maybe less. Afraid of aggravating the I nsomnia and i have central and complex sleep apnea. Im getting bat ... crazy here just to crash and burn 😫😭😭

Here is the information on tapering for you. Yours would be a direct taper! Most of us buy jeweler's scales from Amazon, and end up weighing the pill when it gets smaller. I don't know your situation given that you are in and out of the hospital a lot! It's challenging! But you'll find recommendations on this page:

https://benzobuddies.org/benzodiazepine-withdrawal-methods/direct-taper/

Hope something in the information gives you a workable solution!