Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Does Exercise Aggravate Withdrawal Symptoms?

[in...]

I’m doing water titration from 8 mgs Valium. I have never been stable at 8.0mgs after about 45days.   I try to briskly walk 2-3 miles each day but my symptoms seem to escalate after my walks.  It could just be that they seem to escalate every afternoon and sometimes subside by bedtime.  Is walking a good form of therapy for withdrawal or could it aggravate symptoms?

Also,  I’m trying to decide on a reasonable taper rate thinking of about 10% for the first month.  I just started this week and am at 7.9mgs.

Investartist

Edited by [in...]
Spelling

I've read many members mention vigorous exercise can ramp up symptoms, some swear its helped them so as with everything about this process, its all individual.  I was able to walk but I didn't go at my usual speed, it was more for distraction than exercise.

I'm glad you started your taper, it may actually help you feel better, I've read some members who were tolerant to their dose say it did.  As for the 10%, why not start at around 5%, let that sit for a couple of weeks then assess how you're doing.  This is one big experiment with you as the subject so be prepared to be flexible. 

• Like 1

I have noticed similar daily cycle.....worsening through evening as I am in klonopin withdrawal. Exercise AND emotional stress seem to make things worse. I'm still trying to sort things as well.

• Like 1

Depends on the person and how badly they’re injured.  For me, walks greatly aggravate symptoms.  I can’t walk around the block without my muscles starting to scream.  

In all my years here I've seen no clear pattern. Exercise seems to help some, but exacerbate others. Unfortunately the only way any particular person can know is to try it.

Those that do decide to exercise should start slowly. Some people like to jump in with both feet and go all out from the get go. I wouldn't recommend this as you may not tolerate intense exercise but you might be able to tolerate and benefit from light exercise.

If you start slow and see some benefit, you can always up your intensity later on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, [[d...] said:

Depends on the person and how badly they’re injured.  For me, walks greatly aggravate symptoms.  I can’t walk around the block without my muscles starting to scream.  

I have this too - when on Diazepam walking is fine - now I get back pain within a mile...

I so agree with @[ma...] and others on "it depends on the individual" and what kind of shape their body is in. If there are folks that want to lose weight, you don't need any exercise to do that as some of you will know.  I lost several pound when going low-carb 2.5 years ago.  I started walking, then weight-training because I felt good and just was drawn to getting out there.  I don't have a lot of experience at this point on tapering, just 5 months right now.  Exercise does help me but I had a good foot-hold on it before I started weaning 5 months ago.  I believe nutrition is most vital, then I do believe we need to move our bods if we are able.  Mostly I say listen to our bodies.

I have a friend that has a lot of pain from past injuries but he is at the gym every time I'm there, or when I just drive by and see his car.  I also know he eats very high carb and I've talked to him about my believe in an anti-inflammatory diet but he's not ready to try that.  That's all just my belief/opinion on nutrition as well as exercise.  I forgot to mention I have been diagnosed with Arthritis, and have no arthritic pain for at least a couple of years.  I also had chronic headaches, aspirin every or every other day.  I now, for about a year, stopped having those.  Not sure, but I suspect it has to do with my ketosis, and the anti-inflammatory diet.

Edited by [or...]
spelling
  • Like 2

Anything that puts stress on the body/CNS can cause an uptick in symptoms. Exercise setbacks are not unheard of. But as mentioned it's a very individual thing. You'll just have to find your limit. It's tempting to push, especially with the talk of how beneficial exercise is. But it's not always the case in WD

• Like 2

For me it helps a lot! From powerwalks to heavy lifting on gym. It realese lots of feel good hormones.

A hour or so after I feel great!

• Like 2

I have always been into various forms of exercise. Helps me greatly, but I know folks that it doesn't help at all.  First thing in the morning I walk and do a simple yoga routine I learned online along with sitting still and breath work. But that's me.

• Like 1

@[in...] Hi there! SO glad you posted about this. Interestingly, I JUST talked to @pamster about this two weeks ago. 

I've been pretty athletic most of my life, played sports and worked out/lifted consistently with the exception of the time I started Benzodiazepines the last couple years. During the time I’ve been on Benzos the last couple years, I haven’t been in the gym – but have walked every day.

As I've gotten lower in my taper, I decided to start working out. Nothing crazy - about 45 min on the stair climber and working one muscle group three sets of something. I’ve been going to the gym 3-4 days weekly for the last month or so.

The week I started working out (about a month ago) my WD symptoms really started ramping up.  Sleep wasn't a problem before - now I'm struggling to get 3-5 hours. I've started backing off working out because I’m confident, working out exacerbates my symptoms. The theory I have (not sure if there’s validity to this) is that I’m sweating more… detoxing more, detoxing faster…? Or, maybe it increases the stress hormones in my body?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, [[g...] said:

I have always been into various forms of exercise. Helps me greatly, but I know folks that it doesn't help at all.  First thing in the morning I walk and do a simple yoga routine I learned online along with sitting still and breath work. But that's me.

I also do home exercises, breathing and easy-does-types, basically stretches.  Youtube has about anything a person could use, or try, that's how I find a lot of my way.  I do tend to focus on what I can do, not what I can't do.  That opens up more for me than I realized. There's a lot I can't do, but I don't tend to focus on that so much.  It's to do with the individual's health though, I understand that.

• Like 1

I suggest doing very gentle yoga that focuses on breathing exercises. Especially in the evening, your body is more supple, and if evenings are rough, it is a great distraction. You dont have to leave your home, and you can eliminate any other stressors, like people talking , or the sound of cars, etc, one gets when going for a walk.

I suspect exercise intolerance could be a combination of sensory exposure to sounds, smells, people, etc, combined with the motion.  At the same time, our bodies need movement, and if this works for you, you could gradually increase the level of yoga to the point where it becomes exercise. If not, thats fine. 

if the physical motions are not comfortable, tone them down to something that is less active. The postures here are very mellow, and designed to compliment the various breathing exercises. There are other anxiety/ breathing exercises on you tube. You should get a slight reprieve while doing it, your anxiety levels also may return to where you were when they started. However, the breathwork and gentle postures tend to help calm one down.

• Like 2

I don't see many folks talking about their food intake on Withdrawal and support area, or anywhere.  I really don't think most of the population of the world is too focused on nutrition and what we eat can either improve our health or make it worse (that includes wd sxs imo).  I'd love to talk more about it but just not much interest.  Again, we are all different in our ways, and situations ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

I suggest doing very gentle yoga that focuses on breathing exercises. Especially in the evening, your body is more supple, and if evenings are rough, it is a great distraction. You dont have to leave your home, and you can eliminate any other stressors, like people talking , or the sound of cars, etc, one gets when going for a walk.

I suspect exercise intolerance could be a combination of sensory exposure to sounds, smells, people, etc, combined with the motion.  At the same time, our bodies need movement, and if this works for you, you could gradually increase the level of yoga to the point where it becomes exercise. If not, thats fine. 

if the physical motions are not comfortable, tone them down to something that is less active. The postures here are very mellow, and designed to compliment the various breathing exercises. There are other anxiety/ breathing exercises on you tube. You should get a slight reprieve while doing it, your anxiety levels also may return to where you were when they started. However, the breathwork and gentle postures tend to help calm one down.

I agree unless you literally can't get out of bed, to move in whatever way you can.  And a little at a time, mainly, don't give up or give in!! I've seen people come back from horrific accidents.  My friend Alice at the gym has one whole side of her body paralyzed, but she hobbles in and does what she can.  She was so excited seeing me the other day, that's since we got introduced, we are the same age, 70.  I'd never seen her smile like that and it made me smile and be excited just to be there.  But no one has to join a gym, if you can, it's good if it's a gym that's a smaller type I think, where you really get to know people.  I'm more motivated having others around exercising as well ;) 

17 hours ago, [[S...] said:

I have noticed similar daily cycle.....worsening through evening as I am in klonopin withdrawal. Exercise AND emotional stress seem to make things worse. I'm still trying to sort things as well.

Welcome, I just saw that you are new here so I am so glad you found BB!  My anxiety is helped a lot some of the days I workout or take walks, but sometimes not that emotional or mental stress.  I have a one track mind those days, and it takes what it takes to snap out of it.  Usually only a good cry, or just a good nap, or good night's sleep :)  But about 99% of the time, I feel great just knowing "I did it" when I walk out of my gym.  Or, I also get a real "accomplished" feeling when I do my floor exercises w/body-weight like planks thrown in there, before my morning shower.  It helps me to lay the mat down so I'll trip over it, :2funny: and instead, I do my 5 exercises :heybabe:  I do get some rotator cuff "area" aches, and when I do, I give any exercises that effect that area, a time out and just work lower body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[o...] said:

I don't see many folks talking about their food intake on Withdrawal and support area, or anywhere.  I really don't think most of the population of the world is too focused on nutrition and what we eat can either improve our health or make it worse (that includes wd sxs imo).  I'd love to talk more about it but just not much interest.  Again, we are all different in our ways, and situations ;)

This stuff is good in the grand scheme of things. MAYBE it will help in long run. It surely isn't going to hurt you. But to expect eating a salad over a burger to be the answer your prayers is wishful thinking. There's been success stories here of people eating as many burgers as they can, forcing it down them, and there's been success stories of people doing bone broth fasts. Some have done prolonged fasts with good results, and others have been set back through putting too much stress on their body. There's unfortunately no rhyme or reason to why. Everyone is different in their journey. And although eating healthy is commendable, it's not going to heal you overnight. I know someone who gave up, decided to just drink and do crack as a release. He was healed within 18 months. 

Edit: I know someone who had a major setback from going keto.

2 hours ago, [[n...] said:

For me it helps a lot! From powerwalks to heavy lifting on gym. It realese lots of feel good hormones.

A hour or so after I feel great!

That's good news. You're CNS isn't too destabilised by the sounds of. IMHO that's what takes time to heal

• Love 1

9 hours ago, [[n...] said:

I cannot handle it either; my symptoms start exploding during and after. 

Same for me right now.  Not only does it uptick symptoms, but I am super sore after the smallest exercise.  I can move around a walk a few miles on rare occasions, but no way can I lift weights or swim or anything like I used to at this time.  But I am going to listen to my body.  This healing is non-linear, so I do get some days where I can walk or hike a little, but they have become very rare.  I'm learning how to accept where I am right now, even if it is super hard and discouraging.  Pushing myself in the gym and other physical activity was a fun challenge, and I can't do that right now.  

I'm learning to love the new me. Super, super hard!

I know it’s hard to gather from reading posts on your phone or computer, but benzo injuries are not created equal.  You can have two people typing the same thing on their keyboard but one person’s symptoms may be 10x worse than the other person’s. 

The point in me saying that is the harder someone is hit with the benzo injury, the less likely they will be to tolerate exercise, particularly if they have a lot of physical symptoms.  The harder they are hit, the less likely they will be to tolerate medications and supplements.  So yes, exercise is a very individual thing.  

• Like 1

I have generally found exercise to be helpful.   I do some light weight workouts, light jogging, and cycling.     I think it helps burn off some excess nervous energy.    From studies it is pretty clear that exercise can reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety as well as promote neurogenesis in the brain.  Again, everyone is different and the only way to find out if exercise will be of benefit to you is to try, going very slowly at the start.