Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Has anyone ever had protracted withdrawal symptoms while still being on benzos?

[pe...]

I've already made a post about something similar, but this is also kind of a new idea. I am just so confused as to what is happening to me. My symptoms don't really fit the criteria for "paradoxical reaction" very well, but they fit the symptoms of a common withdrawal symptoms which is head pressure. It's in my forehead and temples and makes me dizzy. My doctor tried tapering me off klonopin quite fast and I was actually doing well, but when I got down to 1.25, suddenly I started feeling this immense pressure. And even as I've since upped my dose, I can't get rid of the pressure. I know this may sound strange but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into this kind of thing because I am so confused and need help. Thanks 💟

Hi, @[pe...],

I have no medical qualifications, only speaking from experience.  I would consider it an “injury” instead of withdrawal, as “withdrawal” implies that reinstating should alleviate symptoms.  

I also tapered far too quickly (quicker than you) and developed insomnia.  I reinstated however the insomnia did not leave me.  I am now tapering through the injury unfortunately.  I believe it to just make tapering more difficult once injured so have to take it very slow and steady.  We will get there and we will heal! 

Read below link.  ‘BIND’ and ‘injury’ settles with me better.

• Like 1

Thank you for responding! I am sorry to hear about this. Truly. I am struggling with insomnia too right now though I don't know if it is because of the distracting pressure or pure wakefulness.  Once you are "injured" is it necessary to taper off the med to make it better? Or will it heal on its own regardless? 

@[pe...] I do not know the answer to the question, but I choose to believe we heal as we go down slowly and then discontinue.  I would assume it would be more difficult for the brain to repair and restore GABA receptors with higher doses of benzodiazepines occupying receptors within the brain.

Yes, @[pe...], I had symptoms of benzo injury start before I began tapering after only a couple months of taking clonazepam (as needed and then daily). They are the reason why I knew a problem existed and began tapering. We wouldn't call them protracted, but they definitely would be considered BIND (Benzodiazpeine-Induced Neurological Dysfunction) symptoms.

Benzodiazepine-Induced Neurological Dysfunction (BIND) is a constellation of functionally limiting neurologic symptoms (both physical and psychological) that are the consequence of neuroadaptation and/or neurotoxicity to benzodiazepine exposure. These symptoms may begin while taking or tapering benzodiazepines, and can persist for weeks, months, or even years after discontinuation.

- Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices

Thank you both for responding. I'm not going to lie I am very scared because I have a rare underlying condition that klonopin is treating and has been treating well for over four years. However I'm afraid I have no choice but to taper. I feel awful all the time now. I'm glad I know about BIND. So thank you for enlightening me. Stay well.