Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Demodex / Rosacia worsening (or perception of) since valium wd

[da...]

Hello Everyone,

Quick question has anyone experienced a worsening of rosacia symptoms since withdrawing from benzodiazepines?

A little backstory, I'm fair skinned and have always suffered from rosacia (redness in cheeks). I think I've always felt something crawling but either the benzo's (which I was on for 20 years) numbed it to the point to where I didn't know they were there, or I chalked it up to dry skin. The doctors I've seen have offered no solution other than moisturize more.

Since stopping benzo's last month, I noticed a week ago, very intense, not able to ignore crawling sensations, I then began research. I discovered demodex tea tree and sulpher soap combinations seem to help and have been applying them 2 times a day, but wow do they stink, and my face is red now either due to dryness, or a "demodex die off". All this is super confusing, like a new world of hell opened up after quitting benzos, and realizing I think I have this demodex parasite, which is very common, I'm just one of the lucky ones who have yummy skin apparently.

Anyone experience anything similar - I notice one of the common side effects is rash and crawling sensaions on skin, I'm wondering if there is a connection between demodex mites and benzodiazepines, and possibly the lack of one causing an overgrowth in another?

As a side-bar there is a new medication being designed "A topical gel formulation of lotilaner, a well-characterized antiparasitic agent that paralyzes and kills Demodex mites by selectively inhibiting parasite-specific gamma-aminobutyric acid–chloride channels" I find this facinating and a "possible correlation" with benzodiazepines....what are your thoughts / experiences with this?

I didn’t even have rosacea until I got on benzos or should I say when I started tapering and was forced cold turkey I couldn’t eat certain things almost everything broke my face out horribly as well as I could not get in the sun but I’m 11 months benzo free I’m able to lay in the sun and I eat whatever I want mine went away. I would sure like to tell the dermatologist who diagnosed me with that or rather, I should say I’d like to show her and tell her it was due to Benzos wishing you the best. Hope this helps. 

Thank you for your welcome Grateful :balloon: I'm glad to have found such a supportive forum. Glad to know I'm not alone in this, I'm stuck deciding if I should continue drying my face out with sulpher soap 3x's a day (eyes puffy), or just let the buggers have their way until my rosacea clears up on it's own. I may have to see my dermatologist today cause enough is enough - I hope they help.

Thanks again, best regards!

Dan