Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Need help

[Sc...]

The restlessness you're experiencing may be a symptom known as akathisia.  Like all withdrawal symptoms it is temporary -  it can take some time to resolve but it will ease off eventually. If you do a search of akathisia you will find many posts about it.

Withdrawal symptoms like this can push us to the edge.  At 1 year out you have a lot of healing behind you. But recovery can take way longer than we want it to.  Many of us have questioned whether we'll ever feel like ourselves again. It can help to remind yourself that your symptoms are temporary, that they will fade away over time and that although you have a year of healing under your belt, you have more healing ahead of you.

I feel the same and it’s NOT permanent. Do you keep a journal of your symptoms so you can actually see change?

Are you able to work, socialize or shop?

• Like 2

Mary is right!  Not permanent!  Crappy and typical, but you will get yourself back.  Your body just needs more time still…and, no one wants to hear that…no one.  You aren’t alone in this struggle, SC.  Keep doing what you’re doing…one day at a time.  ❤️

• Like 1

I feel exactly like you're describing.

And I see people are calling it akathisia. Akathisia shouldn't last that long should it?

I haven’t socialized for a year. It’s dreadful. Just know your not alone. We can socialize here until we’re ready for the outside world!!

@[Sc...] I agree with everyone here that it is not permanent, the thing that is really hard...is to believe it, but try the best you can, because I can assure you that there have been many on BB, that have suffered beyond belief, and they are now healed. They also did not think they would ever get better, but they did, I wish I could remember names, so you could read their blogs. They all felt the way you have, I know it is so hard, but try each day to pick something out that you are grateful for....anything, it does not have to be walking for miles...a cold glass of milk, really anything. You are just stuck right now, and to go forward, you have to find little things each day that are good to get through. Stay Strong. 💖Peace and Healing.

You will heal, Scared, and you will feel better. Like the others have said, it just takes time. It took me well over a year after my taper to start to feel like a human, and about three more years to get back to socializing, feeling well enough to drive long distances etc. I eventually (year 5) even started a new business! So things do improve, just not as fast as we'd like. When we're in the thick of feeling like crap, it's hard to believe healing is possible. But many of us are here to tell you, it is.

Best,

Katz

The brain will heal itself in time.  I could tell you horror stories, but take it a day at a time, an hour or a minute at a time if needed.  I thought I would never recover, but I have.  If you need to go to a psych hospital, remember it's okay.  

Everyone is here to support you and means well. Just because it took someone 3-5 years to heal does NOT mean that will be you. I know you’re vulnerable right now so don’t internalize that you have years more to heal.

Things can change in a dime, in a week! Believe in the power of YOUR body and brain to heal!!