Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

This rib and flank pain has me wanting to quit

[65...]

I've been doing this since October 2022. My symptoms didn't kick in until around March/April. I have 3 more cuts to make and will have my last pill the weekend before Thanksgiving. What is making me want to quit this nightmare is this rib and flank pain on my left side. It's been dull up to today and now there are shooting pains down to my pelvis, around to my back and under my left rib cage. My doc did an ultrasound and exam and when she pressed on my ribs I yelped. She said she's never seen this in someone without an injury (car accident, sports etc). Rest, heating pads and a bottle of muscle relaxers I refuse to take. Can the body cause this much pain from withdrawal. I know Klonopin is used to relax muscles so are mine now going haywire. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain! I tell you, benzodiazepines do the weirdest things. The hard thing about it is that it's frightening. I've seen many people scared witless because their body as they tapered started doing strange things. I'm not going to list them because I don't want to set you off in any way, but the list runs the gamut! 

Your CNS has been thrown out of whack from the Clonazepam. There's no fundamental reason for the pain; that's one clue. I've seen people here run to the doctors over and over and never get an answer. But the good news is that it passes. In the meantime, the heating pad may comfort and help.  And rest is always good when you're healing, as we are!

Other things that might help are warm baths, light stretching (unless it is painful for you), walking if possible and the big one; distraction. Find some way to occupy your mind as much as possible while you wait for your body to get through this nasty bout of healing. 

There are some calming teas out there too! Chamomile (make sure it's imported from Germany or there isn't the therapeutic relaxing going on) and kava kava are two that I've tried and found calming/relaxing.

I hope others with more experience chime in here! Wishing you comfort and relief!!

HCHC

• Like 1

Yes, the body can cause that much pain from discontinuing benzos.  Muscle pain, stiffness, and tension are easily my worst symptoms right now and it’s all over - legs, torso, neck, head.   I get it and it sucks.  

Typically withdrawal symptoms are the opposite of how the benzos work. They are powerful muscle relaxers and part of the benzo injury is that muscles simply aren’t capable of relaxing.  

In my experience it helps just accepting that these are benzo withdrawal symptoms.  It doesn’t necessarily help the pain but it helps cope with the pain of that makes sense.  I’ve had a lot of bizarre symptoms that would be very frightening if I didn’t know what was wrong.  They’ll heal in time 

• Like 1

I am so greatful for your kind words. It is so relieving knowing I'm not alone. It's the daily grind that sometimes wears me down. I just miss feeling good.

I did some reading about Somatic Therapy and am implementing some of it into my daily life. Fingers crossed this is a helpful tool in my toolbox.