Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Jaw Pain Anyone?

[kl...]

Anyone else experience extreme jaw pain? I smiled for some pictures yesterday and woke up today with intense pain. Crazy to think even smiling can cause so much pain. It feels like my mouth is permanently stuck shut. Does this get better with time? Did you find anything to work for the pain and discomfort?

Hi kl.  I had jaw and tooth pain that would come and go within the first 4-6 weeks after my last benzodiazepine. My gums hurt, too. Now at 90 days off the inside of my mouth feels sensitive to salt and spices, plus I've got some canker sores.  The jaw pain has settled into neck pain and some head pressure, and occasionally I still get a tight jaw. And clinching teeth from anxiety does often occur.

The pain aspect is better, though, even though my jaw area is not completely out of the dark.  Hope that helps!  Sending you healing thoughts.

• 6 months later...

My entire head, neck, face, jaw and shoulders were very tight the first few weeks. I clenched my teeth constantly to relieve the jaw tension. After the 6th week free of benzos, the muscle tightness was getting tolerable.