Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Beta blockers

[Ja...]

Has anyone taken a beta blocker (like propanolol) during or after fully tapering? Does this aggravate the withdrawal process? Did the beta blocker cause uncomfortable symptoms? I’m 5 months benzo free and drinking wine sends me into withdrawal again so I was wondering if the same could be said for beta blockers. Thank you! 

I took propranolol when they gave me it inpatient when i was switched to Klonopin. It started giving me a lot of side effects, so after 4 months i started weaning off it (which took 6 months, you can't just stop it) and I felt better and better after i weaned. But in retrospect it did help with a lot of the physical symptoms of withdrawal like heart rate, etc. It didn't touch mental symptoms, but body felt calmer. But one thing it did is made me get more depressed and also caused insane muscle jerks that resolved when I got off it. It made me feel like my emotions were trapped in my body and couldn't come out physically. But I am hyper sensitive to all meds so that isn't something I think most or all feel. I gained a good 30 lbs on it too, which slowly came off when i stopped. Read some reviews online but some swear by it and some don't like it. But I never felt it "set me back", just that it didn't make me feel good. In theory it's a great drug, but in theory so were benzos. Each case is different here.

Jasa hi.  Propranolol was one of the pharmacy drugs that I used at the bottom end of my taper and afterwards.   My doc invited me to try being on it daily but it messed me up bad.   I felt like a dead zombie.... very tired and very dissociated... like I wasn't myself at all.

What it was good for, the few others times I took it, was when I was having an all-nighter... sweating and vibrating.   Agitated legs.... half a pill and my whole body would quiet down.  For a few hours only, but it gave me a sense of control when I was freaking out.   The penalty the next day, was feeling 'out of it'......actually it was the next two or 3 days.  It has a 70 hour half life.   

For me it was a grungy drug.  But it might be different for you.   

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It will calm the body down for sure.  Lower heart rate.  But doesn’t really help the mental stuff.  It also made me feel really flat and sluggish so I only took as needed. 

I just tried it again the other day after a year off it. Lowered my heart rate a bit but didn’t do much else. Felt very flat since.