Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Having a tough time with tapering

[Ny...]

I’m currently prescribed 3mgs of Xanax was prescribed 6mgs about a year and half ago went down to 4 now I’m trying my best to just do 2mgs a day but had to go to ER yesterday not my first time unfortunately I was at the gym and out of no where thought I was having a heart attack I’m 36 not in best shape but all of sudden my neck and this happens all the time If any one knows what this is please help this guy out cause I hate my neck will start spasming it’s like my whole head is shaking uncontrollably heart rate is in 140 sitting and just feel like I’m gonna pass out and or die all my labs and heart test came back normal Thank God but just any advice would be great all the best to everyone and God Bless

Hello Nygiants8787 :hug:Welcome to the forum.

We are glad you are here, tapering slow, will help to avoid severe symptoms.  We generally recommend a taper rate of about 5-10% every two weeks. Most taper much slower than this.  The taper rates vary, depending on symptoms, whatever is comfortable. I would slow your taper down, going from 4mgs to 2mgs is too fast.  The symptoms can be scary, especially heart problems, its possibly its withdrawa,l I had heart symptoms, but always best to check symptoms out with your doctor.

When you have a chance, I recommend that you take a look at The Ashton Manual, It provides a great deal of information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process, including a list of common symptoms in chapter III  with helpful explanations. .

https://benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

The Ashton Manual

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/   

Withdrawal Support

https://benzobuddies.org/forum/121-withdrawal-recovery-support/

Magrita

• Like 1

Welcome Nygiants8787, my daughters favorite team!

As Magrita mentioned, reducing your dose too quickly can have devastating effects, my suggestion for now is to find a dose you can feel stable on and stick to that for a few weeks if you can, if your supply or doctor will support it.  Stable doesn't necessarily mean feeling good, it might mean your symptoms aren't changing as much or they aren't as severe.  Then when you feel a little bit better, we can help you figure out where to go from here.

The Ashton manual is a great resource, it will help you understand what's happening to you, it will help dispel the fear this process heaps onto us.  What you're feeling is normal, I know that's a ridiculous word for this terrible process but you're among people who understand. 

Pamster

• Like 1

Thank you guys for this information and care ya I think maybe I’m trying to go a little to fast I’ve been on these pills a long time and will read up on all the information and your daughter has great taste Go Giants and Pam is my favorite character on the office! I have a cardiologist appointment next week as well as my psychiatrist so I’ll talk to him try and set up a plan but thanks for the support 

Hey, just wanted to mention that not many in the medical profession acknowledge our difficulties tapering from these drugs, so it might be a good idea to print out this information to help you educate your doctor in case he's not up on best practices.  We need to be able to manage our own tapers, we're all so different, one size doesn't fit all.  Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance (corxconsortium.org)