Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Cold Showers for helping healing?

[wi...]

Does anyone do a cold shower a day for helping the body heal?  Does it work for you  IF so how.  I heard it reduces heart rate and that would be of significant help to reduce anxiety.  Brrrr!  I'm willing to try.

• Haha 1

It has always intuitively helped me with anxiety. Right now it does not because my skin makes cold feel hot but otherwise I'd go for it;

I end my showers with about 1 minute or so of cold water.  I started to do this to attempt to snap me out of a bad AKA episode.  I still do it regardless of whether I'm in a bad episode or not.  I read about it, so I did it.  I have no info to back up why it is good for you, but it is supposed to be.  And, it has helped me shift my state a little at times.

Sorry I don't have a lot more to contribute in terms of information.  Give it a try.  It is hard at first...even 10 seconds was difficult to handle for me.  I can say that I prefer the way I feel after a cold burst at the end of my shower versus ending it with hot water.  And, you warm up very quickly after...it doesn't linger as you would think it would.

Let us know what you think if you give it a try.  Maybe someone else who knows more will reply.  I know there is a lot on the internet about this, but I know we are interested in it for WD purposes, and our systems as we taper are not the same as someone who is just looking to start taking cold showers because Wim Hof states its great for your health.  It's different for us, and I don't feel that everyone may benefit from them moving through this.  Some may not be able to tolerate it.

I can't do it. It's horrible 🤣. But I do plunge in a cold therapy pool at the health centre I go to occasionally. It really gets the blood pumping. When I was early off I found it really helpful and had a great window after doing it. Unfortunately had a setback and it's not happened since. I know a couple of people who have the cold water tank/pool who say it's been a great help. But living in a flat I can't get 1

I used to do it all the time a few times a day and loved it , but alas can't do it any more as my CNS is way too sensitive, the last one I did almost knocked me out!  And a shower's now super hell no way can I have one or bath. :classic_sad: The pain from pressure on my skin is unbearable:cry:

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, [[m...] said:

I’m afraid of showers now. So weird. It must be something sensory. 

I’m afraid of showering, too.  If I made it sound easy, it isn’t.  For me, it’s just feeling terror about everything.  Just a highly sensitized state.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been taking cold showers for almost 8 years.

6 years ago when hell started it helped me from extreme insomnia. I take cold showers at night before bed time and helps me to fall asleep tremendously.

Just started cold plunges too. Different animal. You feel energetic way after you do it. 

Studies show that cold showers increase dopamine and noreprinephrine -feel good hormones by 200/500 %. Of course that at very low temps but you still get benefits at 60 F plus.

I know that not all the people can do it during withdrawal but it's worth it to give it a try. Even without being in withdrawal can be a challenge but the benefits you get are immediate and last long.

https://www.themanual.com/grooming/benefits-of-cold-showers/#:~:text=Dr.,vigilance%2C focus%2C and attention.

Wow, I will definitely get that a try been battling insomnia for years. Thanks for sharing that. Thank I will try it tomorrow night. I’ll post back and let you know how it worked. Here’s hoping.

I have had burning nerve pain in my body and head since a CT detox and the shower feeks like needles hitting my legs. It’s very bizarre and uncomfortable. 

I end each shower with cold water to trick my nerves. I ease the temperature slowly then get it to the cold side. I do it on my face first then get up under it all and try to stay under the cold water for 3 minutes. It’s a shocker at first but then it feels great.

If you’ve never tried it, You can try it at not quite all the way cold and work up to it each time. 

The more you practice it the easier it gets. I also swim in a cold indoor pool each evening.  Anything cold helps trick the awful pain from the burning, 

On 01/08/2023 at 19:26, [[w...] said:

Does anyone do a cold shower a day for helping the body heal?  Does it work for you  IF so how.  I heard it reduces heart rate and that would be of significant help to reduce anxiety.  Brrrr!  I'm willing to try.

I had to laugh when I saw this one because I had to take a cold-shower do to our power outage, 3 days without is my limit before it's hopping into ice cold mountain streams, or in this case, just in my apartment.  Let's just say what I remember is it was invigorating:2funny: I don't remember the worst parts about it, like some say they don't remember the pain of child-birth.

Since that, I'm guessing it could dang near snap me out of anything I might go through, sort of get my mind off whatever is ailing me :heybabe:

I do it everyday and I find its helpful sometimes with the fibromyalgia type pain. Its definitely easier in the summer than the winter though. Took me a good few years to be able to handle it though.

14 hours ago, [[G...] said:

Wow, I will definitely get that a try been battling insomnia for years. Thanks for sharing that. Thank I will try it tomorrow night. I’ll post back and let you know how it worked. Here’s hoping.

Please let us know how it goes.  I am very interested.

Wishing you a positive outcome!

Warmly,

F