Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

A quick message of hope

Hi all.  I am 19 months post jump from a horrific steroid setback and feeling a LOT better.  The setback was bad, really bad.  There were times when I couldn’t stand to be in my skin for even one second.  I know there have been a lot of bad cases out there and I was one of them.  Severe anxiety, severe depression, severe fear, burning nerves and the list goes on.  I could not eat a single thing without by body going into severe, severe, severe shock.  I paced around my house until my feet were bloody.  I could not sleep more than 2-3 hours if that.  It was the most horrific experience I have ever had in my life.

Today it is so much better.  It took a while.  A really long while but here I am a solid 70-80% recovered and feeling good enough.  I know that I still have a ways to go but I am able to sleep 8 hours, relax on the couch and watch tv, work, get out of my house, go to the gym, enjoy time with my family.  It is good.  Really good.

I tried everything to help speed this up but nothing worked.  I stayed away from trigger foods and ALL medicine and supplements.  Time has been my only healer and distraction and hope my only tools.  It eventually got better.  I am better.

I still suffer with debilitating back and leg pain but that has nothing to do with withdrawals.  It is just old age.  The withdrawal part is beginning to be a memory.  It will for you too!!  Time is key.  Staying away from ‘fixes’ may also play an important role - it did for me at least.

Anyway keep on going.  You are going to get through this.  If I did it anyone can!  

• Like 8
  • Love 2

I'm glad to hear things are a lot better for you.  Such an inspiring story.  Also, ty for your service here on BB.

• Like 1

Thank you for this post.  Can you tell me what your medication was, and the dosage?  Also, how old are you?  I am 59 years old, and I’m in the thick of it.  Today is 130 days off Klonopin, and it’s really hard.  I was on kit for 8 months.  I am sleeping OK, but my waking hours during the fay are so hard: Anxiety, Fears, no joy in the things that used to be passionate about.  

• Like 1

So glad you are feeling better jben, you are so right, Time, and Distraction help so much, also Acceptance that it is what it is...until it gets better. And thankfully most do feel better. This is my motto always. "Most Powerful Warriors Are Patience And Time"

Thanks for sharing and being here at BB for all of us. Stay Strong. 💖Peace and Healing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thank you! As someone who also occasionally can’t stand to be in their own skin for another second, always a big ray of hope to hear it does pass eventually. Appreciate hearing it.

• Like 1

Wahoo for you, JBen🎉🎉🎉😍😍😍👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻.  Your post makes me feel like dancing, but I am not quite up to snuff to do a happy dance today, but I am brimming with joy that you are finally seeing some measurable improvements!!!!   I can sense the relief you are feeling as your benzo recovery has been held back after a steroid you took with no idea the damage it would inflict on you.  We buddies seem to encounter many minefields as we move into our final healing, but it appears that you are through the worst of it!

Hugs,

GG

• Like 1

That’s great to hear. I’m at 19 months off and still dealing with motor like nerve sensations. They increase and decrease but haven’t gone away yet. Your lost is reassuring.

• Like 1

So happy to what that! I remember you were really struggling. It’s been 12 months since my hormonal drug setback and 8 months since an antibiotic setback within the first setback and I felt better for 2,5 months and now I am in a horrible wave again. 

• Like 1

[68...]

JBen!!!! I am beyond thrilled to read this. I've followed your story as you were setback a few months after me. I am also doing well, mostly with some minor lingering stuff left (and the odd minor wave).  

People need to hear stuff like this, that although a setback can be long an horrendous that we do pull out of them and feel okay again. I am so happy for you!!!! 

Yezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I’m so happy for you JBen! I know how much you’ve struggled. I’m the same as you recovered about 80-85% on most days at 37 months now. I’m cheering you on my friend to complete healing! I can’t wait for us to write our success stories. 
step back….I’m doing a dance for you 💃🏻 👏👍🏼❤️

• Like 1

Oh jben, I am so glad to hear you're doing better now.  Thanks for sharing the news and spreading the hope around!

Has the restless feeling improved too? I struggle with this, it’s mostly physical, like RLS but can last all day long some days. 

• 2 months later...

Hello @[...], I have read your history for a while and we have the EXACT same symptoms. I have extreme food sensitivities and everyday I just eat rice, chicken and sometimes eggs/bok choy and still that gives me extreme symptoms. I have rarely met someone who have extreme food sensitivities and recovered. I was just wondering, what did u eat for most of the days and I remember you saying chicken and cheese but how can u survive on that for like 1 year? Was time the only real healer or both restricting food and waiting longer? I was on short term antidepressants and food is the ONLY thing causing my symptoms. When I don't eat, I have basically no symptoms but as soon as I eat anything I would have the most painful reaction that would last the entire day. I do not see an end to this. It has been 22 months from my last dose of drugs. 

• Like 1

On 06/10/2023 at 03:21, [[B...] said:

Hello @[...], I have read your history for a while and we have the EXACT same symptoms. I have extreme food sensitivities and everyday I just eat rice, chicken and sometimes eggs/bok choy and still that gives me extreme symptoms. I have rarely met someone who have extreme food sensitivities and recovered. I was just wondering, what did u eat for most of the days and I remember you saying chicken and cheese but how can u survive on that for like 1 year? Was time the only real healer or both restricting food and waiting longer? I was on short term antidepressants and food is the ONLY thing causing my symptoms. When I don't eat, I have basically no symptoms but as soon as I eat anything I would have the most painful reaction that would last the entire day. I do not see an end to this. It has been 22 months from my last dose of drugs. 

I think out bodies are in overdrive, they treat everything as threat. It’s like extreme sensitisation. Hope it decreases one day.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2023 at 18:21, [[B...] said:

Hey @[Bl...]  I am so sorry that you are having these symptoms.  They are far worse than even the withdrawal.  I can say that it did get better for me.  I have minor symptoms now when eating but not even close to the horror that I suffered before.  It has been about 20 months for me.  There were a few guys a while back on here that had the same thing.  It also took them 2 years to get better. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 7 months later...
[Bu...]

Hello @[Th...],

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Please feel free to start your own thread if you'd like and let us know how we can support you.

We're glad you're here!

[Th...]

Can someone please tell me if they healed from steroids 

[Th...]

I need to speak to someone who has setback from steroids please 

[je...]

@[Th...] the best would probably be to start a new topic about steroids setbacks and then ask for input. 

[Th...]

I don’t know how to do that I am sorry can you please help me