Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Has anyone tried splitting quick dissolve pills?

[Je...]

I have some of those quick dissolve pills that are in foil and am wondering how they fare when they are cut? Has anyone done this? I'm doing a dry cut and I am thinking that my next cut from 0.25 mg per day would be easier with a 0.25 mg pill than a 0.5 mg pill, but I haven't taken one out of the foil, yet. Do they hold up?

Thanks in advance!

Jess

6 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Our amazing @[Li...] has provided an excellent post on this topic. You won't be able to reply to this thread since its located in the archives but you can use search function by going to this link. Direct Simple Tapers - BenzoBuddies Community Forum

Thank you so much! It's funny, but it says "dissolve on tongue" on the bottle, only NOW I know it's really DISINTEGRATE! Ha!  ::) I actually set up my pill box this morning and the disintegrating tablets DO cut much nicer! 

Thank you again, so much! I really appreciate your response. Thank you for the link, too!

Jess

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Thank you so much! It's funny, but it says "dissolve on tongue" on the bottle, only NOW I know it's really DISINTEGRATE! Ha!  ::) I actually set up my pill box this morning and the disintegrating tablets DO cut much nicer! 

Thank you again, so much! I really appreciate your response. Thank you for the link, too!

Jess

Hello, @[Je...]. Might I ask if the label on the bottle was created by the pharmacist?  My experience is that pharmacists sometimes use incorrect terminology and administration instructions for these ODTs.  Here are the administration instructions from the official FDA label for one of the generic manufacturers of ODTs (Sun Pharmaceutical).

Clonazepam is available as an orally disintegrating tablet. The orally disintegrating tablet should be administered as follows: Immediately upon opening the bottle, using dry hands, remove the tablet and place it in the mouth. Tablet disintegration occurs rapidly in saliva so it can be easily swallowed with or without water.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Hello, @[Je...]. Might I ask if the label on the bottle was created by the pharmacist?  My experience is that pharmacists sometimes use incorrect terminology and administration instructions for these ODTs.  Here are the administration instructions from the official FDA label for one of the generic manufacturers of ODTs (Sun Pharmaceutical).

Clonazepam is available as an orally disintegrating tablet. The orally disintegrating tablet should be administered as follows: Immediately upon opening the bottle, using dry hands, remove the tablet and place it in the mouth. Tablet disintegration occurs rapidly in saliva so it can be easily swallowed with or without water.

Hello @[Li...]! The label was the one the pharmacy puts on the bottle, so I'm guessing yes, although I don't know if it's a "pre-designed" label by corporate, or something like that. The manufacturer is PAR and the tablets are in sealed foil pouches. (Not a blister pack, but an individual pouch off of which you peel the backing. One tablet per pouch.)

I guess they think it's all the same (dissolve versus disintegrate), just so long as we get it on our tongue and not up our nose! I like accuracy, though, and I appreciate the clarification!

Jess

• Like 1

Thank you for the additional information, @[Je...].  It sounds like the label was generated at your pharmacy.  As I mentioned previously, pharmacists don’t always get the instructions quite right.  Back when I was using the ODTs, the label from one pharmacy indicated they were to be placed under the tongue (i.e. sublingual admin).  I asked the pharmacist to please check the instructions from the official FDA label —  he did so, thanked me, and created a new label with the correct instructions. 

Like you, I like accuracy.  Here are the administration instructions from the FDA label for the Par ODTs:

Clonazepam is available as an orally disintegrating tablet. The orally disintegrating tablet should be administered as follows: After opening the carton, peel back the foil on the blister. Do not push tablet through foil. Immediately upon opening the blister, using dry hands, remove the tablet and place it in the mouth. Tablet disintegration occurs rapidly in saliva so it can be easily swallowed with or without water.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, [[L...] said:

Thank you for the additional information, @[Je...].  It sounds like the label was generated at your pharmacy.  As I mentioned previously, pharmacists don’t always get the instructions quite right.  Back when I was using the ODTs, the label from one pharmacy indicated they were to be placed under the tongue (i.e. sublingual admin).  I asked the pharmacist to please check the instructions from the official FDA label —  he did so, thanked me, and created a new label with the correct instructions. 

Like you, I like accuracy.  Here are the administration instructions from the FDA label for the Par ODTs:

Clonazepam is available as an orally disintegrating tablet. The orally disintegrating tablet should be administered as follows: After opening the carton, peel back the foil on the blister. Do not push tablet through foil. Immediately upon opening the blister, using dry hands, remove the tablet and place it in the mouth. Tablet disintegration occurs rapidly in saliva so it can be easily swallowed with or without water.

Thank you for the instructions, @[Li...]! I know I got an information sheet when I picked up my script, but it's a mystery where that got off to!