Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Does anyone get tight, vice like, squeezing feeling in muscles?

[jo...]

I’m 25 months out and one of my most persistent symptoms is the feeling of my head, neck, shoulders and back being squeezed tightly like in a vice. It’s so painful and noting works to help it. I have to go to sleep with my face on a heat pack for relief. It seems to come on sometimes if I’ve done a lot on my feet. I even feel the squeeze behind my eyes. 

yes, I have this, even with my head and brain feel like they're trapped in a vice  and the pain is excruciating

• Sad 1

Right side back, abdominal, leg & buttock muscle pain has been the single most awful symptom for me.  Coming up on 36 months off valium and this past few weeks have been a nightmare.  Can hardly walk some days - off the scale pain. 

I did have a pretty decent 1 week window about a month ago and I thought that I was finally seeing the end of this horror show.  However since that window I have been back in an acute like state.   Feels like I am back to the very start.

• Sad 1

Does it feel like a heavy pressure? I often wake up and feel like my body is being compressed/squeezed. It even comes with a blood rush type feeling through my body. 

• Like 1

Oh yeah.  It’s been particularly bad lately.  I get it all over, but is worst in my torso and head.  The squeezing in my head is easily the worst because so simply cannot think when it’s bad there.  And it just feels like my brain is getting crushed or something.  Have it bad right now.  

• Sad 1

Yes, I have this all over and yes, pressure, vise like pain in head. When I get up in the morning most of my muscles feel this way particularly my legs.  Feels like trying to move concrete shoes around! It also makes me feel like my I'm trying to move through jello! 
I don't have it 24/7 but most of the day. 

8 hours ago, [[M...] said:

24/7 and never a single moment of relief 

its Dystonia for me 

What’s dystonia? What are the symptoms? 

7 hours ago, [[n...] said:

yes, I have this, even with my head and brain feel like they're trapped in a vice  and the pain is excruciating

Very excruciating. Mine seems to come and go. Sometimes I won’t have it for a month then I’m hit with it. It seems to come on sometimes if I’ve been walking around all day doing too much. But it seems impossible to predict. 

4 hours ago, [[n...] said:

Does it feel like a heavy pressure? I often wake up and feel like my body is being compressed/squeezed. It even comes with a blood rush type feeling through my body. 

Not so much pressure but a tight squeezing vice like pain. Like someone is squeezing my brain and my neck and my back muscles as hard as they can 

Dystonie is the muscles constantly pulling tightening. My trapezius are so big I Look like Quasimodo . they exercise all day long

if your muscles and posture still look the same it don’t think it’s dystonia.

[55...]

Have this all day long. So bad I can barely take it. it’s also changed and feels like my skin is so tight along my head and that my head is like a bowling ball and too heavy for my neck. I feel like I’m being crushed. Don’t really know what to do? 

anyone have ideas? 

it appears to be affecting my spine. 

On 7/26/2023 at 8:37 AM, [[M...] said:

24/7 and never a single moment of relief 

its Dystonia for me 

I have cervical dystonia! I was originally prescribed baclofen and clonazepam to help with my symptoms. Well 26 years later I am now trying to get off the benzo! My brain was becoming so foggy and memory issues plus I just wasn't feeling great and didn't want to increase any of my meds! I am now struggling on diazepam taper. Hoping it will all pass. 

I am so afraid I have this head to toe. My spine is curved in an s shape because of all the chronic muscle spasms. For me it doesn’t come and go, it’s 24/7 

never a moment of relief . 
i have akathasia and dystonia. 
akathasia is a windows and wave pattern now. I am 8 months off and continue to worse on many levels. 
i wish I could reinstate but the drug turned paradoxal to me so it is unfortunately impossible.

i don’t know what I can do anymore. 
i don’t see many people healing from dystonia. 
has anyone tried Botox to get rid of the squeezing pulling tightness? 
i am thinking about that. 

my dystonia started while taking the drugs and it worsened after a CT in March 2022. I was reinstated cause of severe akathasia 9 weeks later .

i am lost. 
if anyone ever finds someone that had severe chronic dystonic muscles please let me know 

• Sad 1

On 7/27/2023 at 2:21 AM, [[n...] said:

For me too 

On 7/27/2023 at 8:19 PM, [[M...] said:

Same… no relief. So bad it makes me unable to sit up straight I have to lay down all day… can you sit up?

I’m sorry. Yes I can sit up and go for walks 

I have those  awful pains in my arms and hands sometimes also in my legs and feet. Cramps, spasms, rigidity also that vice like feeling.. moving my right arm hurts so much that I start crying. Severe nerves pain. Burning, stinging, tingling…dull deep pain. Very often unbearable. Still I do get hours where all the pain disappears. So therefore I do believe that we do heal in time. Very hard to believe but as so many before us have recovered we will too. I wish everyone good healing!!! 🍀

• 2 weeks later...

Does someone know if people recover from this? I am so desperately looking for hope I cannot leave the house even throwing away garbage IMPOSSIBLE .

8 months off and continue to worsen 

2 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Does someone know if people recover from this? I am so desperately looking for hope I cannot leave the house even throwing away garbage IMPOSSIBLE .

8 months off and continue to worsen 

I’m right there with you.  I’m 10 months out and this is getting a lot worse for me.  

I spoke with Dr Jennifer Leigh once and she had something similar and recovered from it.  If I remember correctly, I think she could get around ok for the first 3-4 months and then it hit her hard to the point she had to use a walker and then a cane just to get around the house.  She told me once she didn’t shower for like a week because of the pain. 

You can also read Dr Christy Huff’s story.  She was mostly bedbound for a while due to pain, weakness and dizziness and recovered from that.  It took a while though. 

• Like 1