Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Chest pain common?

[TH...]

Is chest pain a common side effect? 

I've posted about it before but it's not easing up at all. 

I'm currently on 13mg Valium dropping 2mg every 2 weeks then 1mg every 2 weeks when I get to 11mg. 

The only withdrawals I'm having is mainly chest pain. I've had ecgs and x-rays, all fine. But I just can't seem to think it's normal in withdrawal. 

It's mainly on the left side of my chest, get sudden dull aches every now and then. Heart rate seems fine. It's starting to really get to me and my mind is thinking the worst. 

Hi there! I’m a little over four months off of Klonopin c/t 3mg for 3 and a half years. I still have chest pain and palpitations. My heart rate is fine as well. My chest is often tight and feels like it jumps a lot. Since benzos relax your muscles, and your heart is a muscle, it’s adjusting to the lack of benzos in your system. All of our organs are affected by this stupid withdrawal. The withdrawal makes me question everything about my body. It’s crazy how long it takes for our organs to bounce back. I want my brain to heal and it’s taking it’s sweet time. Anyhoo, it’ll improve! Best of luck!

• Like 1

Hi Annamal

Thank you for replying. 

What sort of chest pain are you still experiencing? Mines hard to explain, it takes me by surprise most of the time and it's quite constant all day. Only time I get a break is when I'm asleep. Breathing is ok aswell. 

It's scary right? Your brain just thinks the worst and it's hard to think it's just basically healing without the lack of Benzos like you said. 

How your brain starts healing soon. You having brain zaps and pressure? Also had that myself but at the moment it's my chest. 

Yes! I am almost 5 years out and for me that came around 3.5 years in a setback. I actually had them really bad all last night as I am extremely revved. The more revved I am the worse it is!

It is always left sided for me too. I’ve had 2 echo, many ekgs, a few Er trips, cardiac Ct with no blockages, holster monitor and stress test and my heart is perfect. It’s definitely either muscle related or just a manifestation from our brain when we are super revved causing the chest pain.

I began Accupuncture again yesterday since I stopped when covid hit and he said too the body gets so tense when revved up and affects muscles and meridians and it made sense the way he explained it, bud it’s nothing scary bad even tho it feels that way because I’m not manny revved up when it happens as it’s intense and scares me! I have to remember all the test that I’ve had done a proof that my heart is healthy. What does severe anxiety and symptoms that come along with the intense revving don’t help my train of thought.

Hi hopeful0518

Thank you for replying. 

Nice to hear someone who is 5 years out but not nice to hear you're still having these pains. 

Always left sided yes, as I'm writing this now I can feel it. I'm fed up with it already so I have no idea how I'm going to manage if it continues. But I do have good and bad days. Yesterday wasn't so bad but today it's awful. Tomorrow might be ok again, who knows. 

I've also had scans and all that too, everything fine. Think I need to book another docs appointment for peace of mind. When you do accupunture, do you have those bed of nail mat type things? I've got one and use it every night. Do you lay on your front? 

Again it's so difficult to think everything is ok, it's just your body recovering when we've all been told, if you have chest pain always get it looked at, so it's hard to ignore. 

Hope you manage to get some relief soon from your pain even after 5 years out which is a great achievement. Roll on the day I hopefully make it there. 

Hello again! I have felt the chest pain as a tightness in the center of my chest. I’ve had an EKG and everything was good there. Like you, it’s constant all day. 

Yes, it’s so scary. I am always convinced of the worst. This stuff just messes with every aspect of yourself, mentally and physically. 

I haven’t had brain zaps with benzo withdrawal. I have had them getting off of SSRIs and SNRIs. I’ve experienced head pressure though. I really dislike when my head feels like a balloon, haha. 

52 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

Hi hopeful0518

Thank you for replying. 

Nice to hear someone who is 5 years out but not nice to hear you're still having these pains. 

Always left sided yes, as I'm writing this now I can feel it. I'm fed up with it already so I have no idea how I'm going to manage if it continues. But I do have good and bad days. Yesterday wasn't so bad but today it's awful. Tomorrow might be ok again, who knows. 

I've also had scans and all that too, everything fine. Think I need to book another docs appointment for peace of mind. When you do accupunture, do you have those bed of nail mat type things? I've got one and use it every night. Do you lay on your front? 

Again it's so difficult to think everything is ok, it's just your body recovering when we've all been told, if you have chest pain always get it looked at, so it's hard to ignore. 

Hope you manage to get some relief soon from your pain even after 5 years out which is a great achievement. Roll on the day I hopefully make it there. 

Unfortunately once you have reassurance you need to find a way to not give the symptom attention as best as you can to show your brain it’s not scary. Look up Pain Free You in Facebook by a guy Dan Buglio. He talked of perceived danger causing symptoms also and some of what he says really makes sense. I listen to his videos daily. 
No I lay on a heated table like a massage table on my back for Accupuncture. I had ordered one of those nails beds and holy wow! I couldn’t do it. Our 11 year old did better on it then I did but it was too much for us all so I returned it. 
Once you feel you have your reassurance try to distract from the symptoms. Change the worry thought with a thought of joy or affirmation or say “I am good!” even if you don’t feel it and keep at it. We need all of the positivity (real or fake) that we can get! 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 26/07/2023 at 08:11, [[A...] said:

Hello again! I have felt the chest pain as a tightness in the center of my chest. I’ve had an EKG and everything was good there. Like you, it’s constant all day. 

Yes, it’s so scary. I am always convinced of the worst. This stuff just messes with every aspect of yourself, mentally and physically. 

I haven’t had brain zaps with benzo withdrawal. I have had them getting off of SSRIs and SNRIs. I’ve experienced head pressure though. I really dislike when my head feels like a balloon, haha. 

I'm 4 months off now and I'm just starting to feel that tight chest feeling in the middle of my chest.. almost feels like its hard to breathe along with a funny feeling all over really can't explain it.. how are you feeling niw?

@[er...]

I know what you mean...it's horrible. 

Mines just getting worse every time I drop a dose. Will be 2 weeks this Thursday when I last dropped and I'm still feeling it. Hoping to stabilise. 

I found something called Pranayama. Should check it out, it's about breathing exercises. Might help with your chest. Sorta helps me in a way. 

https://youtu.be/JoDKbXEUrvQ?si=EiboaHcREcB-QUAN