Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

1 year Klonopin taper

[jf...]

I'm new here, looking for some support, encouragement, and suggestions. 

I have been on 3mg Klonopin for almost 2 years. I have been wanting to get off of it for awhile, and end up tapering too quickly, and getting very uncomfortable, and return to my full dose. I will have currently been on 2.75mg a day for a month on the 8/1/23. I am planning to go down to 2.5mg for a month again, and going down 10% or less every month after. I didn't even notice the first cut, and I am hoping making small cuts, and holding them for 30 days (or possibly more depending on if I stay comfortable). I'm hoping that I will barely notice, as long as I stay patient and determined. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated. 🙂

Hello jfn79, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm sorry you've had to learn the hard way that tapering is all about going slow but it sounds like you have a good plan for now.  Those who are on higher doses seem to be able to make larger reductions but this typically won't last, you'll need to adjust when symptoms become too intense.

What dose size are your tablets and have you been cutting them?

We're glad you found us, patience and determination are key. 

Pamster

• Like 1

My doses are 1mg. I have a splitter that I quarter them with. Once I get down to 2mg a day, I plan to start getting . 5mg tablets, and quartering them as well. 

Edited by [jf...]

23 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Excellent, this is exactly what we suggest, cutting tablets is the easiest way to taper.  There may come a time when you'll need to make smaller reductions but that's way down the road so in the meantime, reach out to our members via the Withdrawal & Recovery Support - BenzoBuddies Community Forum, you'll find many who share your situation. 

Is . 5 the smallest tablet? My doc told me that the .25 tabs were only available in dissolvable form. Can you cut those as well? 

Are you in the US?  If so, then clonazepam is available in 0.125mg (as well as 0.25mg) orally disintegrating tablets or ODTs.  Members have used a variety of dose manipulation techniques with ODTs including pill-splitting, pill-shaving and weighing, and homebrew liquids made with milk or water.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Are you in the US?  If so, then clonazepam is available in 0.125mg (as well as 0.25mg) orally disintegrating tablets or ODTs.  Members have used a variety of dose manipulation techniques with ODTs including pill-splitting, pill-shaving and weighing, and homebrew liquids made with milk or water.

I am in the US. And was hoping when I get my dose down, that I could use my splitter on the ODTs.

On 7/25/2023 at 9:49 PM, [[P...] said:

Excellent, this is exactly what we suggest, cutting tablets is the easiest way to taper.  There may come a time when you'll need to make smaller reductions but that's way down the road so in the meantime, reach out to our members via the Withdrawal & Recovery Support - BenzoBuddies Community Forum, you'll find many who share your situation. 

Is . 5 the smallest tablet? My doc told me that the .25 tabs were only available in dissolvable form. Can you cut those as well? 

0.5mg is the lowest dose available in conventional tablet form.  The ODTs (note: the D stands for Disintegrating not Dissolvable) are available in 0.125mg, 0.25mg, 0.5mg, 1mg, and 2mg.  I’ve included a link to the official FDA drug label for the ODTs from one of the manufacturers you can share with your doctor.  Click the + sign next to the ‘How Supplied’ section to view the options and NDC codes.

Link:
DailyMed - CLONAZEPAM tablet, orally disintegrating

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=62d0ed23-3452-4a12-ae9e-bbb8d8a0f8e7

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 7:22 PM, [[j...] said:

@[jf...] I am currently splitting the 0.25 mg orally disintegrating tablets. I will be starting my first experience with taking these on Monday, as I just filled my pill box. I must say they cut very nicely with my splitter. I have the PAR brand. @[Li...] got me all clued in!

Jess

• Like 1

Awesome. I'm a long way away from that size, but it's hopeful for me to know I will be able to cut them when I get to that point 🙂

• Like 1

2 months ago, I was at 1mg K, 3x daily. A month ago I cut my morning dose to .75mg. Today, after a month, I'm cutting my morning dose to . 5mg. I'm hopeful it will be uneventful like my first cut, and still following the 10% or less/month reduction or until stable schedule. 

• Like 1