Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Does Adderall Rebound Insomnia exist?

[Me...]

Curious if anyone’s heard of intense insomnia related to cessation of Adderall?

My former partner was prescribed Adderall and was using it for six months. He liked the results at first but then found it was beginning to stoke mania in him. He stopped it cold turkey recently and has had a terrible time sleeping. What’s interesting (and concerning to me) is that his symptoms seem eerily similar to my insomnia symptoms: falling asleep for a couple hours and waking up with a huge surge of energy and alertness. Then MAYBE getting another hour or two eventually but only after laying awake for several hours and waiting for the energy surge to die down.

Im a bit freaked out that he’s about to embark on the excruciating journey that I’ve been on. Has anyone heard of this regarding Adderall?

Thanks!

Hi there - good evening. I was on adderall for a couple years. When coming off - I did not experience sleep disturbances or issues - in fact when coming off, I slept better than I had in a long time. When I was ON the adderall I did NOT sleep well. But... I'm very sensitive to stimulants. 

I'm sorry to hear your former partner is struggling with sleep. I don't *think* he will have a long term issue with sleep, but of course every body is different. Generally adderall WDs arn't too terrible... while there are some variations to this, most people have cravings for the drug, need to sleep alot, have some anxiety, lack of energy is a big one - chronic fatigue. IF he/you think it's the adderall causing sleep issues, maybe try reinstating a SMALL amount (while avoiding the mania). But if mania comes back no matter the dose, I would steer clear. Here's a question - since he's been off the adderall, any chance he has increased his caffiene intake? Just a thought.

Interesting. I’ll ask.

Yeah it seemed counterintuitive that it’s messing with his sleep but it’s just so eerily similar that I had to wonder.

However, he did just find out that he’s prediabetic. Which I also apparently am according to an at home test I took about 15 months ago. I haven’t tested again since then because it’s been very obvious that my blood sugar is very affected - obviously from the benzos (I don’t eat refined sugar, barely eat carbs, have a avg-low BMI, etc) I wonder if that’s the common thread between him and I. I’ve been trying to get it under control. I had been wanting to better understand blood sugar/insomnia link. Time for more research.

• 3 weeks later...

@[Me...]

CNS stimulants certainly cause rebound effects and dextroamphetamine (Adderall) is a particularly vicious one. Found an article online regarding ADHD treatments and sleep problems

They are generally to be avoided or taken in minimal doses. I only know methylphenidate. It's quite common for people dependent on benzos or alcohol to seek out stimulants in order to improve their clarity of mind. Rebound effects are disastrous, however.

The body strives for homeostasis, as dr. Anna Lembke rightly puts it in the "Dopamine Nation"

“Abstinence is necessary to restore homeostasis, and with it our ability to get pleasure from less potent rewards, as well as see, the true cause and effect between our substance use and the way we’re feeling.” 
 Anna Lembke, M.D.