Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

IGF-1 raised in withdrawal?

[sh...]

Hello,

My IGF-1 went high after I came off Clonazepam, and is still raised (though not as much) 16 months later. Is this normal?

Thanks.

I've never seen this topic discussed so I'm unsure if its connected to your Clonazepam cessation.  Have you tried searching the forum, its an excellent tool, not like our old one. 

13 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I've never seen this topic discussed so I'm unsure if its connected to your Clonazepam cessation.  Have you tried searching the forum, its an excellent tool, not like our old one. 

Thanks so much for response. there are a few threads in the archive on the IGF-1 topic, such as: 

1 hour ago, [[H...] said:

I've never had mine checked, but it could be in response to WD.  

"IGF 1 plays an important role in brain growth and development, and it is related to repair responses to damage for both the central and peripheral nervous system"

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2015/736104/

IS your doctor concerned about it?

Thanks so much for your reply. For people with a prior history of pituitary tumor, I guess the only way to find is an MRI. My doctor thinks moderate IGF-1 elevation is not concerning.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, [[s...] said:

Thanks so much for your reply. For people with a prior history of pituitary tumor, I guess the only way to find is an MRI. My doctor thinks moderate IGF-1 elevation is not concerning.

I'm sure it will be ok and work itself out as you heal. Try not to stress about it, I'm sure your doctor would have made more of it, if it was a problem. I'm obviously not a doctor, but elevated levels of something connected to healing, whilst you are healing could make sense 

• Like 1

Thank so much for the reassurance. For me, the elevated IGF-1 did bring on somatic changes. I have not found anyone relate these changes here. So it becomes a concern whether the hormonal change is purely physiological, or some of it is from adenoma cells.

39 minutes ago, [[s...] said:

Thank so much for the reassurance. For me, the elevated IGF-1 did bring on somatic changes. I have not found anyone relate these changes here. So it becomes a concern whether the hormonal change is purely physiological, or some of it is from adenoma cells.

I don't think I've ever had that particular blood test. So I'm sure how common it is? Which might be why it's not mentioned much here. It's easy to let your anxiety run away with you, health anxiety is a killer. But if your doctor isn't worried, I wouldn't be either. You could always get a 2nd opinion if it would put your mind at rest

Just wanted to offer some reassurance. My IGF-1 was very high and one of my doctors suspected a pituitary tumor but had the MRI and all was clean so only thing I can figure is more benzo healing maybe? I have been in a bad wave lately although most of it is contributed to a medication I was taking for high blood pressure. I was told that my pituitary area on X-ray was larger than normal so it does make one wonder what the benzos did or the healing process that maybe causes that. 

• Like 1

The other way besides a blood test, to tell if IGF-1 and growth hormone is elevated, is changes in shoes size, ring size; soft tissue swelling causing enlargement of tongue, lips, nose; bone/cartilage growth of nose; weight gain; increased sweating, etc. I have experienced all of these changes during peak of withdrawal. At present, some fluctuate, others remain permanent. I have history of growth hormone secreting tumor which was resected 5 years ago. These tumors recur, especially under stress, so my heightened concern.

• Like 1