Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

TMB,

Wasn’t clear about what I just wrote. I mean that docs are super aware of opiate issue and pain now today.

You are going through the post benzo withdrawl period, and you’re not having surgery at the moment.

Try to stay focused on that. It’s all individual for sure, but follow your therapists lead on controlling your anxiety over this. It is anxiety based. And because you took benzos, the anxiety is benzo based.

Thanks, Intend.

TMB,

Just went to good old Wikipedia. Looked up cross tolerance. This is what I read:

“Cross tolerance has been observed with pharmaceutical drugs such as anti anxiety agents and illicit substances, and sometimes the two of them together. Often, a person who uses one drug can be tolerant to a drug that has a completely different function. This phenomenon allows one to become tolerant to a drug they have never used before.”

So there’s more explanation on Wikipedia, but basically I think we’re reading that if you’d used opiates often, you’d could have already been tolerant to the benzo used. And if you’d used a benzo (which you did as I did and am doing) you could be tolerant to an opiate.

But we both had some surgeries, and we both took opiates for pain. Those pain pills (opiates) hit me like a ton of bricks so I wasn’t tolerant to them. And I don’t know if you felt like they did or did not help your pain with carpal tunnel as you did not say. But you stopped them out of fear, knowledge, and basic common sense.

So as to the original concern, I do not think taking an opiate will throw you back into benzo withdrawal again. It might however make you and I need more opiates for surgical pain relief. We’ve all got to be totally honest with any doctor and/or surgeon about our medical and medication history to prevent problems ahead of time.

TMB,

Just went to good old Wikipedia. Looked up cross tolerance. This is what I read:

“Cross tolerance has been observed with pharmaceutical drugs such as anti anxiety agents and illicit substances, and sometimes the two of them together. Often, a person who uses one drug can be tolerant to a drug that has a completely different function. This phenomenon allows one to become tolerant to a drug they have never used before.”

So there’s more explanation on Wikipedia, but basically I think we’re reading that if you’d used opiates often, you’d could have already been tolerant to the benzo used. And if you’d used a benzo (which you did as I did and am doing) you could be tolerant to an opiate.

But we both had some surgeries, and we both took opiates for pain. Those pain pills (opiates) hit me like a ton of bricks so I wasn’t tolerant to them. And I don’t know if you felt like they did or did not help your pain with carpal tunnel as you did not say. But you stopped them out of fear, knowledge, and basic common sense.

So as to the original concern, I do not think taking an opiate will throw you back into benzo withdrawal again. It might however make you and I need more opiates for surgical pain relief. We’ve all got to be totally honest with any doctor and/or surgeon about our medical and medication history to prevent problems ahead of time.

Thanks, Intend.

I do let my doctors know (esp the anesthesiologists) and it has worked out so far. The one dose of hydrocodone did "work" so that is probably a good sign.

TMB,

It’s a definite good sign. You are very, very common sense oriented in my opinion.

That’s another thing to focus on while going through this post withdrawl phase.

-you rarely if ever take opiates.

-you keep all doctors/anestisiologists informed of medical history.

-you are in post benzo withdrawl phase and have anxiety.

-you took a benzo and have tapered off.

-benzos can help anxiety, but after awhile cause anxiety.

-your anxiety now is benzo based.

I hope this helps. It’s helping me as I write this because not only have I learned more, but I know my worries, fears, and anxiety are reality based (all this discontinuation stuff), but it’s also because I do have benzo withdrawl anxiety myself.

TMB, you’re going to get better. I’m so glad you’re off Ativan. I want to be off clonazepam also. I’m trying as we all are.

TMB,

It’s a definite good sign. You are very, very common sense oriented in my opinion.

That’s another thing to focus on while going through this post withdrawl phase.

-you rarely if ever take opiates.

-you keep all doctors/anestisiologists informed of medical history.

-you are in post benzo withdrawl phase and have anxiety.

-you took a benzo and have tapered off.

-benzos can help anxiety, but after awhile cause anxiety.

-your anxiety now is benzo based.

I hope this helps. It’s helping me as I write this because not only have I learned more, but I know my worries, fears, and anxiety are reality based (all this discontinuation stuff), but it’s also because I do have benzo withdrawl anxiety myself.

TMB, you’re going to get better. I’m so glad you’re off Ativan. I want to be off clonazepam also. I’m trying as we all are.

Thanks, Intend. It does help. If you believe in what you are telling me, then that should reassure you that you are going to get off of the clon and will get better too.

TMB good advice from intend when are you moving?

Love Stut X

We are expecting 2 offers today on our current house. If we accept then I guess 30-45 days. Will have to be a transitional move (rental) until we can figure out what we net out and what we can afford in the next house, which will be quite a bit less than what we are moving from. Has been and will be a very stressful time going forward and lots of adjustments and uncertainty ahead....

Sadly TMB even if you weren't going through withdrawal your anxiety would be sky high.l think you really must be a bit kinder to yourself.l think when everything settles down you will get a better handle on this anxiety.

Love Stut X

Sadly TMB even if you weren't going through withdrawal your anxiety would be sky high.l think you really must be a bit kinder to yourself.l think when everything settles down you will get a better handle on this anxiety.

Love Stut X

You're right, Stut. Added to BWS is the combination of not being able to work since end of 2016 and maybe never again (now at age 62) and building a big house right before the housing crash which impacts the forward plan significantly and the stress load is immense. The prospect of 2 moves to an ultimate unknown destination is currently keeping me from calming down.

Interestingly, the normal people around me have some of the expected stress but (of course) nowhere near the levels that I am displaying. With no brake pedal, my CNS is just ripe for being in overdrive all the time.

TMB it really couldn't have happened at a worse time.I know you definitely have a long way to go but you will get through this.There is nothing worse than financial stress but

things will settle down the longer you are off those horrible drugs.

Love Stut X

TMB it really couldn't have happened at a worse time.I know you definitely have a long way to go but you will get through this.There is nothing worse than financial stress but

things will settle down the longer you are off those horrible drugs.

Love Stut X

Bad timing for sure. Things were going along so great for many years in terms of my functionality and zest for life. Then, boom, benzo crash in what seems like an instant.

So it is what it is.... I will end up where I end up and I'll have to figure out how to accept that -- which will not be easy.

Thanks for listening.

TMB -- I think that what you are going through is most likely w/d brain on steroids.  I have read about lots of folks who have had successful surgeries etc after tapering. Just saying that as that's what the sneaky undercurrent of thinking can convince us of...

I know that the thinking gets things out of proportion but I wanted to say that.  CBT is tough!  great tool but tough when there is a sneaky anxiety driven undercurrent of thinking -- but please keep that in mind.  It's a sneaky undercurrent of thinking.... sure gets me! Especially when I haven't been sleeping well.

SS, sneaky is right. Amazing how those intrusive thoughts slip through and take over.

G'Morning all,

Thanks for the early greeting Stut, have a great day with you sis.

Welcome dtrain, This is a solid and fun group to be part of....

BG -- the wise and kind.... thank you

NJ -- no nausea for two hours -- so glad to hear that...

TMB -- I think that what you are going through is most likely w/d brain on steroids.  I have read about lots of folks who have had successful surgeries etc after tapering. Just saying that as that's what the sneaky undercurrent of thinking can convince us of...

I know that the thinking gets things out of proportion but I wanted to say that.  CBT is tough!  great tool but tough when there is a sneaky anxiety driven undercurrent of thinking -- but please keep that in mind.  It's a sneaky undercurrent of thinking.... sure gets me! Especially when I haven't been sleeping well.

Cant -- 9 years of jobs!  sounds like out backyard.  And extra kids, did I read that somewhere?  Hope all settles down with eating....

I know I've missed people in this greeting but please know that I think of all of you, and that all of us are part of this team.  It really feels like a team effort is the way to get off this stuff..

Day 21 of my hold and I can really sense my CNS is settling in a way that it hasn't been able to for about a year and a half.... whew..

I really have this sense now that the CNS was "on fire" from the interdose w/d that led me to tapering and it really has been "simmering" for the last 1.5 years as I tapered.  This hold is putting out the fire!  I can see and hope that tapering after this will be different... (fingers crossed emoji)  And I'm still planning on holding for three months......

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

I am so happy your hold is working.  I am only down 2.24 of my 15 mg Valium and am already having to slow way down.  I am so disappointed.  I was really hoping to get to 10 before I had to crawl.....Valium and my muscles just don't get along.  But, I am still thrilled for you SS.  I am going to cautiously sneak off sometime behind you....look over your shoulder and I'll be there and knowing you're waiting on me will inspire me ❤️  :smitten:

Good morning Begood Cant Heath Mary Trish Miyu Bluepill Gard Free nolongeranxious SS TMB Olive Dtrain Greencup lntend esperanza etc I hope today is a better day for everyone.For everyone struggling remember this will pass.

Love Stut X

Hi everyone!!

What a lovely warm group to be part of, thanks all for your support and kindness!!

I've embarked today on my reinstatement and abolishing additional meds to focus on one task...

And one set of symptoms. Going to add in lots of good supplements to help me on this journey.

My Lymes diagnosis has really stressed me out so dealing with that and benzos is not ideal, but will get there!

Sorry to hear of your flu Stut - my folks are bedridden with it so I'm caring for them atm. It's a real bitch this flu...

Hope you all have a positive happy day!

As Yazz said 'the only way is up' 😂

(Bad 80s song reference- apologies)

Hi Dtrain you have a plan which is the main thing.Make it small and manageable.l think you are doing the right thing as long as you don't rush.

It's can't that has the flu lol.l had the Aussie flu last year and it was a hard one.

I hope your parents feel better soon and keep your hands washed lol.Enjoy the group.

As for Yazz 🤔

Love Stut X

Oh sorry I read your sig but see that's a while ago!

Feel better can't!!

I don't even like the song and have no idea where that came from...

Weird repressed memory lol - bit of a running theme with this WD thing.

Strange memories surface!! 😂

Good morning Begood Cant Heath Mary Trish Miyu Bluepill Gard Free nolongeranxious SS TMB Olive Dtrain Greencup lntend esperanza etc I hope today is a better day for everyone.For everyone struggling remember this will pass.

Love Stut X

Morning Stut, hope your day is going well, and things are settling down for you. I agree with your statement that this too shall pass. Hoping that Our Cant is OK, he may be a bit busier now with both sons at home. He is a wealth of knowledge and his Aussie humor has lifted me many times. Keep up the good job here and on the boards, you give great support and advice. 💖 Peace and Healing Hugs My Friend. :smitten:

Thank you begood l miss Can't he always has a bit of banter for everyone.l hope your hold is going well.l will be reading your prog on?Thank you my friend kindness costs nothing and it helps me when l can help others.l know you know what l mean.😘

Love Stut X

Thank you begood l miss Can't he always has a bit of banter for everyone.l hope your hold is going well.l will be reading your prog on?Thank you my friend kindness costs nothing and it helps me when l can help others.l know you know what l mean.😘

Love Stut X

Yes I know exactly what you mean, and I am glad that we can focus on others and help also.  :smitten:

Good morning stut and everyone,

I'm off to see my therapist! Hope everyone of you has a peaceful, uplifting day!

Trish :smitten:

VERY FUNNY......OR PATHETIC?

I just went back and read some of my old posts and had a big sarcastic laugh!

In May of 2016 I was at 1.25 mg. And......I posted that I thought I would be off Valium and done with my taper in another 6 weeks. 

Ha ha ha LOL!

Amazing how much I have had to slow down.

Here I am over 2 years later and I am still tapering. I am still at only .425

Well the way I look at it now is ....so what the heck. I am making progress and it will take as long as it takes. Se la vie!  But I am not suffering. Doin ok. So let the good times roll?

But really....can’t wait to be off this garbage!

Heath

I hope everyone will have a good day or night, or both!

Fo me it’s early in the morning. So..I’m gonna try to go back to sleep!

Heath :smitten::hug::therethere::mybuddy:

It is true what they say.....you really do have to go much much slower the lower in dose you get to.

Your getting there and still working kudos.

Heath l am sure you aren't on still but if you are did you say you got a disc removed from your back?If you did how long was your recovery?

Love Stut X

Good morning Stut, Trish, Dtrain, and begood.

I’m up for another day. Yesterday, it was a state holiday in Utah. People celebrate what is called the “days of 47.” That was the time when the Mormons left Nauvoo, Illinois and trekked across the country and entered the Salt Lake Valley. So that happened in July of 1847, and they celebrate this on the 24th of July which was yesterday.

There’s a huge parade downtown, all kinds of activities afterwards, and then fireworks all across the valley when it gets dark. We are not Mormons ourselves and many people in Salt Lake aren’t either, but it’s still a day off for everybody, so many people participate anyway. Out here in the suburbs though, it’s just kind of a regular day. We do end up dealing with all the fireworks in the evening.

The fireworks end up scaring lots of people’s pets, and even my little cat gets rattled. It’s just like the 4th of July. July here in Utah used to be an entire month of people setting off fireworks and firecrackers. But with the dry conditions and actual fires, the legislature has had to set very strict limits about all that. We like it better that way since we’ve gotten older.

But anyway, another day begins, and I have a lot to do. Hope others have a good day.

Hi intend l hope you got a better sleep.Any more thoughts on your generic brand? Interesting history great for bringing people together.

Love Stut X

[2e...]