Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

SC please take a deep breath and stop overthinking this.All the worrying you are doing is making you so much worse.Do your crossover and wait.Go to your appointment and do not start any taper until you are mentally in a better place.

I know this is frightening and overwhelming but l promise you if you just take it a day at a time you will get through this.

Love Stut X

Thank you Stut...what is overthinking something anyway? People are constantly telling me I do that?

How long does it usually take to stabilize from a crossover? Sorry,Can’t remember if asked already.

I’ve exausted myself. Going to go call pharmacy & make sure they’ll at least have what I’m crossing over to in stock.

My depression is medication resistant. You think I can get out of it with therapy & getting off the benzos. Just your opinion.

Thanks for putting up with me SC :smitten:

Hi all.  I’m here and doing great.  Sorry for stepping away for a bit but it seems personal isssues coincided with my jump  and I got incredibly slammed at work.  I had to use all of my energy working and taking care of my family.  I’ve gotten a reprieve from work for a few months and it will take me that long to catch up lol.  My jump hasn’t been a big deal outside of some stress intolerance for a few days.  It’s like relearning how to deal with it.  I can say I have been running and biking everyday since jumping except for a week where my Achilles’ tendons prevented it.  Still going strong and apologize for being away for so long.  It seems like it’s always family issues that cause it. :)—V

Valley, so glad everything is OK. You were really missed around here!

Thanks TMB!  :)—V

Hi, I’m new here. Your signature sure is a great story! Be well SC

:thumbsup:

Hey Valley, so happy to see you here with us again....now you have to know what I thought, always the very worst and thankfully I have been wrong with everyone I sent to...you know where. So sorry that Life had to be so hard, but the thing is, it still goes on and we get back up and go on, until we may have to have problems again. Glad to hear things are going pretty well post walk off. Just so pumped that you are back, just wonderful and makes this day extra special My Dear Friend. 💖 Peace and Healing Hugs Always. :smitten:

PS, have you found a replacement for ''Cookie"? I miss her a lot, but know that she is happy in chicken heaven. :)

Hi BG.  I understand that we tend to think the worst when going through this.  I wish it would have been different but our kids have crises sometimes and we have to take care of them.  I actually did buy 5 chickens a few months ago to replace the 3 we lost over the winter.  Unfortunately 2 of them are roosters!  One of the roosters keeps going off so I have to go out and try to make him stop at least until we can find him a new home lol. It’s too bad the roosters are the funniest and friendliest of the bunch.  I do hope all is well with you.  I need to get caught up. :)—V

Valley! We were all worried about you! So happy to hear that your walk off has been successful!  :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks Olive!  Everything with my jump has been great.  Just other things got in the way for a while.  :)—V

Am I noticing a pattern here that most people on this board are doing LT?

Thanks SC

Hi Scardie. I do believe the vast majority do LT as it just seems easier to make the minute cuts that don’t shock the CNS as much as a larger cut. :)—V

Am I noticing a pattern here that most people on this board are doing LT?

Thanks SC

Hi Scardie. I do believe the vast majority do LT as it just seems easier to make the minute cuts that don’t shock the CNS as much as a larger cut. :)—V

Thanks V

Sounds good to me!

SC. X

SC overthinking is when we become obsessive about something then it becomes very hard to make a decision or we procrastinate which makes us feel more anxious and hopeless.

I believe that long term use of benzos definitely increases depression and anxiety. So getting off them is really the way forward.Therapy is also very helpful for changing the way you think and helps you to look at things in a more positive way.It is hard work so you really have to practice what the therapist advices you to do.

Love Stut X

Sorry don't know about co times l will say this it will take as long as it takes.l don't know how stable you were before the crossover l would say hold as long as it takes.

Love Stut X

SC overthinking is when we become obsessive about something then it becomes very hard to make a decision or we procrastinate which makes us feel more anxious and hopeless.

I believe that long term use of benzos definitely increases depression and anxiety. So getting off them is really the way forward.Therapy is also very helpful for changing the way you think and helps you to look at things in a more positive way.It is hard work so you really have to practice what the therapist advices you to do.

Love Stut X

Wow, the overthinking is totally, me. Thanks for explaining. Do benzos cause that? I’ve never been so indecisive in my life. Glad you think there’s help for the depression & anxity by getting off the benzos & working hard in therapy. Gotcha on the crossover hold response, too.

WISHING YOU LOVE & PEACE SC

Hey LHSG buddies - I know I can post this on the Other Medicines board, but wanted to see if anybody here has had experience with clonidine.

I had an appointment with my psychiatrist today and he gave me a script for clonidine, saying this would help me sleep. He says it is up to me (of course it is) but he is saying that this is one of the options he is recommending. Some may remember my story about him giving me ritalin because he has diagnosed me with adhd and views that as the underlying cause of my high levels of anxiety. Clonidine I think is often prescribed for adhd.

Anyway, I searched BB and found mixed reviews whether it made any difference. Haven't (yet) seen any horror stories.

My family and my docs are getting pissed at me for rejecting options without even trying. So, I may have to "try" a few doses to either prove/disprove.

Appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Hey LHSG buddies - I know I can post this on the Other Medicines board, but wanted to see if anybody here has had experience with clonidine.

I had an appointment with my psychiatrist today and he gave me a script for clonidine, saying this would help me sleep. He says it is up to me (of course it is) but he is saying that this is one of the options he is recommending. Some may remember my story about him giving me ritalin because he has diagnosed me with adhd and views that as the underlying cause of my high levels of anxiety. Clonidine I think is often prescribed for adhd.

Anyway, I searched BB and found mixed reviews whether it made any difference. Haven't (yet) seen any horror stories.

My family and my docs are getting pissed at me for rejecting options without even trying. So, I may have to "try" a few doses to either prove/disprove.

Hi TMB.  My daughter actually tried this and it worked well for her her coming of of ADs.  She said it helped her anxiety and sleeplessness.  I haven’t had any experience with it myself though.  :)—V

Hi TMB,

Clonidine is my rescue drug for very high BP spikes.  It does work for anxiety and can make me a bit sleepy.  I take it as needed and have for nearly three years.  It was prescribed after my concussion.

My pills are 0.l mg and I usually take half a pill.  I don't like the side effects which, for me, are dry mouth and frequent urination.  If the side effects weren't so annoying I would take it for anxiety as it helps some but then I would be taking it often instead of 3 or so times a month.

You can have withdrawal from it which is another reason I do not care to take it regularly.  I seem to be particularly sensitive to meds.  You may be just fine with it.

Valley,

Welcome back.  I too feared the worst.  You live in the same region as I do.  I was wishing I could check on you to see if you were okay.  Thank goodness you are.  Enjoy your break from work.

Hi all.  I’m here and doing great.  Sorry for stepping away for a bit but it seems personal isssues coincided with my jump  and I got incredibly slammed at work.  I had to use all of my energy working and taking care of my family.  I’ve gotten a reprieve from work for a few months and it will take me that long to catch up lol.  My jump hasn’t been a big deal outside of some stress intolerance for a few days.  It’s like relearning how to deal with it.  I can say I have been running and biking everyday since jumping except for a week where my Achilles’ tendons prevented it.  Still going strong and apologize for being away for so long.  It seems like it’s always family issues that cause it. :)—V

Valley, so glad everything is OK. You were really missed around here!

Thanks TMB!  :)—V

Hi, I’m new here. Your signature sure is a great story! Be well SC

:thumbsup:

Hey Valley, so happy to see you here with us again....now you have to know what I thought, always the very worst and thankfully I have been wrong with everyone I sent to...you know where. So sorry that Life had to be so hard, but the thing is, it still goes on and we get back up and go on, until we may have to have problems again. Glad to hear things are going pretty well post walk off. Just so pumped that you are back, just wonderful and makes this day extra special My Dear Friend. 💖 Peace and Healing Hugs Always. :smitten:

PS, have you found a replacement for ''Cookie"? I miss her a lot, but know that she is happy in chicken heaven. :)

Hi BG.  I understand that we tend to think the worst when going through this.  I wish it would have been different but our kids have crises sometimes and we have to take care of them.  I actually did buy 5 chickens a few months ago to replace the 3 we lost over the winter.  Unfortunately 2 of them are roosters!  One of the roosters keeps going off so I have to go out and try to make him stop at least until we can find him a new home lol. It’s too bad the roosters are the funniest and friendliest of the bunch.  I do hope all is well with you.  I need to get caught up. :)—V

I am doing well, as long as I do not listen to the seductive whispers in my ears from the benzo beast..."go faster you can do it, trust me I will catch you" bla bla. But feel I am in control most of the time. This has been the best day with you here again. I sure hope one of the girls will step up and take her place on your lap and listen to you, like Sweet Cookie did. :smitten:

WELCOME BACK V!      OH THANK GOODNESS YOU ARE ALRIGHT!  :thumbsup:  AND YOU ARE BACK!  :thumbsup:  THANK GOODNESS. THANK GOODNESS!  :thumbsup: OH MY WERE YOU MISSED AND WORRIED ABOUT SO VERY MUCH!  SO GLAD YOU ARE WELL AND THAT YOUR JUMP IS GOING WELL!  :thumbsup:

Heath :smitten::thumbsup:

Oh my goodness, things are really hopping hear on the Long Hold group! Maybe some sense is spreading about this process and holds being a great thing???

I remember when I first found this group, and having already been indoctrinated into the "Ashton way" what a hard process it has been , and still is sometimes to make this mental transition into the long hold way, the tapering from stability way etc. As best as we can anyway in trying to hit the benzo moving target!

Anyway , hi everyone , sending love and hugs to all .....

I especially wanted to say -TNTD- thank you s omuch for responding to my questions about your hold , that's very encouraging for me , I've done the " sneak a little hear and there" type hold! And I don;t think it's really served me, though I do feel better about being on a slightly lower dose at least , however slight.

So now , along with my friend who is going to consult with me so I'm not always making my own decisions, I am goign to commit to 2 weeks at a time of holding , and after each 2 weeks , reassess and go from there,. 2 weeks was all I felt I could commit to in one go with out cheating!! The biggest thing for me that has held me back from holding  :o , is fearing that I will get worse , get more toxic . and that I won;t get better .  I have not really given it a fair trial, as these fears creep up on me and i find myself rationalizing another sneaky micro cut.

So , time for me to take a gamble, as we all do , and scardie , I understand how you feel , accepting the nature of this beast is some thing else.... probably nothing like any othe r possible experience in life. So gamble we must.

love and hugs , I read all your posts and am so grateful for you all, great wisdom and maturity here I find. thank you for being here

MiYu :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi MiYu,

My pleasure on giving you those details. Congratulations on your commiting to two weeks of a hold after you taper. I think that's a great idea. Do you have a specific amount you are planning on tapering?

I personally usually taper about .002mg and then hold a week until I get tired and then I hold for two weeks, or I taper about .004mg and hold for a week or two depending on how I'm feeling. I agree it's really hard to not sneak in those micro-tapers for soooo many reasons. I'm glad you have an accountability partner, that should help  :thumbsup:

I have heard of others being afraid of holding causing them to get worse but I've never heard of anyone actually saying that it did cause them to get worse, only better. Of course I have only been on the long hold thread off and on for a little over a year now so I'm sure I don't know everyone's experience. It would be interesting to know how others have done with their holds and how long they have held. Personally it had been and continues to be a wonderful tool for me in my taper.

Good luck on your new adventure. Stay stong in your resolve to go two weeks, you can do it!! I have great faith in you. :thumbsup:

Hugs, :smitten: :smitten: :hug::mybuddy:

T

THanks T  :smitten:

well, I don;t have a plan yet as far as  tapering goes... it's been such a struggle I'm still really trying to find a way to do this, so this committing to 2 weeks ata time holding is not really part of a taper plan , so much as it is an experiment to see if not cutting anything for a while will help me get more stable so that I can taper at a reasonable rate. It's taken me 6 months to cut a little less than 6% , doing it in microcuts whenever I felt able .

But i've been housebound most of that time and suffered horrible wds a lot of the time too . I think my "WDnormal"has improved soemwhat , but I am only able to cut 1/3 % or less over a couple of weeks before I get hit and have to stop.

So you see , I am wondering if perhaps if I do a longer hold , that maybe I could do more of a taper.....that's my current experiment anyway!!

in terms of mgs that's something like .003 K month!! hardly anything...I'm using liquid  that I make and so I can reduce by the tiniest amounts at a time. my 1 ml syringe =3% approx.

I'm currently 10 days into a hold from my cuts in may that were almost .75%

Argghhh, sooo slow.

hope this all makes sense!

love, MiYu :smitten: :smitten:

I understand completely. It took me a year and a half to cut 10% out of my dose. I generally cut about .4% a month. I've been trying to double it but there were some other events that made me unsure if I had an increase in sxs or not. So if I double it but have to hold twice as long with worse sxs then I'm still moving at the same speed but not as functionally. Sigh. Of course as I continue on and my dose decreases my percentage cut increases. I'm now up to .17% a week with the same cut as .1% used to be. Hoepfully my brain doesn't notice as the increase is happening so slowly.

This updose has been interesting though. I just did a 1% cut with no w/d sxs. In fact I still felt updosed. That was just changing out one of my pills and I make my two day mixture with five. That means I have five more updoses!! At least I know to start out with a cut right away.

I hope your hold does some good for you. I've been lucky so far in that they have always helped me feel better. I do worry that at some point they won't but I need to not think about that and just keep on plugging along.

Hugs,

T :hug:

Scardie,

Just a little example here for you to take note of to show you how everyone is different and everyone is able to taper at different speeds and amounts.

If you take a look at ValleyUm’s  taper signature  you will see he was able to taper 1 whole mg at a time from 5mg down to 0 in just a few months. ( that’s way bigger than I can.)

I can only taper about 5% a month.

It will take me at least another year or probably more  to get off .5 mg 

Where Valley cut 5 whole mg in less than 6 months!

Oh boy , do I wish I could do what ValleyUm did. But I can’t. My body is jus too sensitive.

So Scaredie, you just need to listen to what your body tells you and go as slow as YOU need to GO in order to remain functional and live your life well as you taper off your drug.

That’s the key.... slow and steady and functional.

Heath

Hi again, HEATH HERE.....NEW PROBLEM.....

I dont take mirtazapine regularly. I only take it when my sleep is really bad.

I usually only need it once every month or two.

But for the past 6 months my sleep has not been so bad and so I did not take it at all!

But last night I took my usual3.75 mg and today I can hardly move! I feel like every muscle and every joint is rusted. Every movement hurts.

What’s going on? I never had this before.

As you know, if you recall my posts,  I have been having muscle cramps and spasms ( mainly in my left arm and  my neck)as a wdsx of the Valium I am tapering off of. I am at .5 mg with the Valium right now and presently doing a hold.

Iam wondering if this is just a worsening of my wdsx from the Valium or if it could be from the mirtazapine.

Has anyone ever woken in the morning after taking mirtazapine and felt this way!?

Thanks for any calming words and/or advice.

( PS. I know not to over think this. It is what it is, and it will probably go away and I’ll never know what caused it.  But I just want some educated advice on wether I should or shouldn’t ever take the mirtazapine again.)

Thanks Heathcliff. 

By the way......I am just giddy with joy to know that Valley is back and he is just fine!

TMB I use clonodine on rare occasion to help with my sleep. It makes me feel drowsy the next day so I only use it if I'm desperate.

Valley, It's soooo good to hear from you. I was gone for quite awhile too so I didn't know you were gone too until I saw people posting that they were worried about you. I'm glad you were able to finish your taper and have been out living your life. That's so wonderful and what we're all striving for. Thanks for sharing your success and your wisdom with us  :smitten:

SC, So much good advise from Heath and Stut. I have to put my two cents in too as I am on my second generic change, not by choice either time. I actually agree with Heath and Stut, hold and let your brain and body stabilize. There is no set time for this to occur. It will happen when it happens, try to just let go and let it happen. I'm not saying it's easy, it's not, but you can do it. I also thought what Heath had to say about how quickly we can each taper is very appropriate. I can only taper about .68% a month and I often have to hold even tapering at that slow rate. It's not how fast we go but that we get to the end and the only way out is to go through.

I do think that benzo's make it harder to make decisions, or at least w/d does. When I'm in a wave or having bad w/d I can't make a decision about anything.

I hope everyone is finding something good in their day.

Hugs  :smitten: :smitten: :hug: :hug:

Thinking of you all,

T

Good to see you, Valley! :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

clonidine is used as a detox/CT support med... -amoung other things..

It was one of the "maybe helped a little??" Meds I used on and off, at the wors of my opiate taper...

But then, so was valium..

I never noticed any problems with clonidine, but it was in a mix of meds -in a chaotic time...

Sorry, I cant help more...

Heath, I wonder if it was just coincidence that you took the pill and then woke up with the feeling you are having. I have not taken that medication, but if you have taken it for a while, thinking it may be wd, since you have other things going on too. Of course one never knows anything for sure. How is the weather, is it more humid than usual, and causing the joint discomfort? I Pray that you start feeling better soon. I am so sorry you are not feeling well. Hoping with time things get better for you soon. Stay Strong, Stand Tall. 💖 Peace and Healing Hugs. :smitten:

[52...]