Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Stut,

You provided so much support for me earlier this week when I was in a bad place. Life stress I think definitely impacts this whole process, and you sound like you have been through a lot.

I see you had the flu in January. I had the flu in December 2016 and really struggled to taper after that. I ended up updosing and holding to get some stability. That is what worked for me. You have made good progress and I would say if you can maybe just not focus on the taper too much. Just hold and not think about getting off. I know how hard it is to do this and still be a parent (although I do have a husband).

I ended up updosing to .5 mg for two nights then dropped back to .37 mg. I got through the week okay after the disaster of being so desperately nauseous on Monday. I woke up hungry today and had dinner with a friend. She is going through an awful lot, sometimes it makes me feel better to realize how much others have on their plate, to know I am not the only one struggling.

Stut, hang in there if you can. Maybe you will get some relief this weekend.

Stut-  Wow.  I am sorry for the loss of your child's father.  Being a single parent is very hard, and you have the taper on TOP of that, AND your child was sick, well wow. I can't imagine how hard this would be as a single parent.  Sending you hugs.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

My aunt was pregnant with her second child, when her husband died, and it was so sad.  But she turned things around for herself, and found a way to make it work.  Her kids, my cousins, are all grown up now.  She did a good job, and I'm sure you will too.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I can relate to how you feel, Stut.  The feeling awful and dependent and such.  I'm sure it is hard being a single parent.  ;(

Greencup,NJ and Barbara thank you all for your kind words and support.l never thought l would find such an amazing support group on one forum.lt means everything to know there are people who understand what you are going through and are there to help if you stumble or fall.

I send you all my love and hope we all find our way through this nightmare.

Stut X

Started tapering Clonazipam from 2mg a year ago. Stayed at 1.5mg for few months due sevre stress, anxiety and depression with sleepless ness issues then gradually started tapering and stayed at 1mg

for two months with miserable w/d effects like churning stomach, sevre headatch like pinching pins in left middle head. Flu like feelings, dizzy but sleepless, extremly fear and racing mind with nagative thoughts.Whole body paining and burning, particularly back shoulders. Don’t know what to do?

Sleeplessness was killing. Anyway, Stopped seeing psychitrist and seen Nurologist who took Brain And Cervical neck MRI. Brain ok. Problem with cervical neck so prescribed Gabapentine 300mg twice daily

Also added 10mg Melatonin to help sleep. Again started slow tapering Clonazipam and now reached to 0.75 mg two days ago. Feeling overwhelmed. Restless, full body like crushing, fatigue and mind jumping here and there with pinching sevre headatch. Muscle and bones are paining like hell. Both ears paining too. Felling some brain fog reduction but extremly I’m relaxed. Right now crying in bed and don’t know what to do. Not able to get out of bed. Nagative thoughts garaged my mind. Feeling souring throat. Help and advice me if you can

Momo7,

I think you are tapering way too fast.  You are getting withdrawal from your current cuts plus effects from the cuts from weeks or even months ago.

You must go slower to slow down the withdrawal.  You must hold until your symptoms reduce.  Do not cut again until your symptoms are almost gone. My last hold was 8 weeks.

I only cut about 0.03mg per month. 

Momo,

If you could create a signature that would be great, but it does sound like you are tapering very fast. If I were you I would do an updose, stabilize, and then make smaller cuts. Feel better.

Hi all,

Today is 21 day of first cut from 1 mg of Clonazepam . I feel cranky! Anyone else?

I’m holding til May 6 (traveling). Rethinking my next cut will be smaller. Now taking one .50 mg Plus 1/2 of another .50 mg. Next cut will be one .50 mg and half of my half. Hold all of June and maybe part of July (traveling). When I get back I should be on just .50 mg. I’m just going slowly by slowly.

Actually ODAT...

HUGS TO ALL,

AC2C

OH BEGOOD...YOU ARE DOWN  TO  .45 mg!  Way to go! Congrats!

THATS A NEW NUMBER ISNT IT? Weren’t you at .5 the Last time I Looked? Oy! I’m so confused!

Heath :smitten::thumbsup:

Yep it is correct, on May 4th, I will start my 10 day taper and then back to 30 day hold, slow and steady for this  and do not foresee messing with it anymore. Time goes faster than one thinks if they have a plan and can tweak it and stay distracted. You are doing well too, never doubt yourself and try not to be guided by others faster tapers, the key is have as few sx as possible at our walk off. The Golden Ring is so near now for both of us. Stay Strong.  Peace and Hugs :smitten:

BEGOOD, YOU ARE THE BEST!

Are you a therapist in real life?

You’d make a good one!

Heath

THATS A NEW NUMBER ISNT IT? Weren’t you at .5 the Last time I Looked? Oy! I’m so confused!

Yep it is correct, on May 4th, I will start my 10 day taper and then back to 30 day hold, slow and steady for this  and do not foresee messing with it anymore. Time goes faster than one thinks if they have a plan and can tweak it and stay distracted. You are doing well too, never doubt yourself and try not to be guided by others faster tapers, the key is have as few sx as possible at our walk off. The Golden Ring is so near now for both of us. Stay Strong.  Peace and Hugs :smitten:

You’d make a good one!

Heath

No a Nurse, but going through benzo wd for the third time has made me stronger and more aware of Life and not to let any grass grow beneath my feet. You are doing well, when the beast whispers sweet nothings in your ear, turn up the Radio. ;D 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

PS. Sure worried about Valley hope we hear from him soon. :(

Hi folks any and all advise would be appreciated.l am really struggling at the moment.l feel completely lost.The withdrawal symptoms just keep coming and l cannot see a way forward.l am completely obsessed with getting off these drugs and it's ruining everything.l hate being needy and insecure.l don't feel as if l fit in anywhere if that makes any sense.l am embarrassed that I am asking for help.What am l doing wrong.l don't have days of windows l perhaps get an hour here and there.Generally l spend my days in despair.

I am trying so hard to keep going but months and months of this is really wearing me down.l am constantly trying to distract myself but it isn't working a lot of the time.

I have no support at home and l have to stay on my feet.Sorry for being such a downer.

OH STUT!  Please try not to be so hard on yourself! Despair is normal when going through such hard times!and you have so much on your plate to deal with, even much more than most people on this forum. Maybe you dont realize it but you ARE A VERY STRONG PERSON!

But please listen to someone who’s been in your shoes somewhat. I see you have gone from 3.5 mgv to 2 mg v pretty fast. I went fast at the beginning of my taper, messed myself up real bad. When I finally realized I was creating havoc in my CNS and started a long hold I was already in the throes of crazy wdsx!

They came, they left, they came back, they were bad! And even while I was holding for a while I didNOT get any windows for a long time! From the time I started my taper in end of January through June I was in such a state, nobody wanted to deal with me. My sister took me to the dr to get anti depressants. She convinced the doctor I was only depressed because of my recent back surgery. I tried them and stopped them .i knew it was wdsx but even my doctor did not Agree. I really think they all thought I was nuts!

Fast forward to this long hold support group and the great advice I got to do a long hold.

WeLL from January thru about October? Not sure, I was having crazy bad wDSX trying all kinds of drugs prescribed by my doc for depression and sleepless ness They were all wrong! I stooped EVERY DRUG. THANK GOODNESS I DIDNT TAKE ANY LONG ENOUGH TO GET DEPENDENT ON ANY OF THEM.

Then started my long hold in about June?

Still had no windows, but wdsx started to get better.

Then it happened! I remember..it was July 4.

All of a sudden my worst consistent wdsx stopped! It was those inner shakes and trembles in your whole body that no one can see but wow do you feel them every minute of your waking days.

When they stopped It was like a miracle. After all that time, from January to July, that those trembles were with me. I cried and prayed so hard that they would go away. My husband didn’t want to hear me crying or complaining any more. He had had it!

Well it didn’t last. The tembkes came back....but when the trembles first stopped, it was my VERY FIrst WINDOW! I never knew what a real window felt like, however short! I cried for happiness!

After that, the windows started to come every day for an hour or so. Then they got longer.at the end of four months of holding and a previous five months of complete chaos, my wdsx were gone all day long! Of course a blip creeped in here and there but I was myself again!

And I learned my lesson. If anyone looks at my signature, you may think im nuts  to go SO SO VERY VERY SLOW. But I don’t care! I DONT HAVE ANY wdsx ANYMORE! I am not exaggerating!

IT IS POSSIBLE, IF YOU GO SLOW, TO GET OFF THESE BENZOS WITH NO WDSX OR VERY TINY BLIPS,

BUT YOU HAVE TO BE COMMITTED TO NOT LOOK AT THE CALENDAR AND NOT RUSH AHEAD.

IMO, MY PHILOSOPHY STANDS WITH THE. “Turtles” on this support group.

Ok,  ENOUGH ABOUT ME!

Once you get through your hold...and don’t cheat...I mean don’t even cut a smidge, and do hold until those wdsx are completely gone....and only then begin your taper, and go much much more slowly than you were before that got you into your mess in the first place....... you will see that it IS possible to continue your downward taper with NO WDSX....IF YOU REALLY STAY TRUE TO GOING REALLY SLOW and making only tiny cuts.

AND. BECAUSE YOU HAVE WAITED UNTIL YOUR WDSX HAVE STOPPED, YOU WILL SEE, IT NOW WILL BE EASY TO TAPER, EVEN FOR A LONG TIME UNTIL YOU ARE DONE, AND YOU WONT HAVE TO RUSH, BECAUSE YOU WILL FEEL OK! YOU WILL SEE IF YOU HAVE PATIENCE, ITIS ALMOST EASY TO TAPER SLOWLY. WELL MAYPE EASY IS AN OVERSTATEMENT....BUT I JUST HOPE I AM MAKING IT CLEAR THAT THE SECRET IS TO    GO VERY VERY SLOW AND MAKE ONLY TINY CUTS.

OK, ILL SHUT UP NOW!

Please don’t give up!

Hang in there!

Hold on to your hold!

IMO, It will get better. I want to promise but I guess I better bpnot to that...but I really do believe in holding on and waiting until you are stable. It really saved my life.

Bless you, Stut! This is not easy! You may not feel good now, but trust me, that is normal in a taper. You are doing a good job....just hold, and the SLOW IT DOWN,

Best to you! Be strong, be a warrior! You  CAN do this! You CAN!

They used to say that to me and I thought they were all nuts, and that I’d never emerge from my awful wdsx...but look at me now!

I’m a wooss in real life! So if I can do it, anyone can,

Heath :smitten::thumbsup:  :mybuddy::hug::therethere:

And I hope things get easier with your child. Being a single mom is very hard. You’ve got a full handful, both hands! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

You’d make a good one!

Heath

No a Nurse, but going through benzo wd for the third time has made me stronger and more aware of Life and not to let any grass grow beneath my feet. You are doing well, when the beast whispers sweet nothings in your ear, turn up the Radio. ;D  Peace and Healing. :smitten:

PS. Sure worried about Valley hope we hear from him soon. :(

[/quote/]

Begood,

I figured you were in a profession of some sort that helped and healed others through your big heart and compassion. Glad you are here,but hope you walk off with ease!

Heath :smitten:

I too am concerned about ValleyUm! I hope he is just very busy with work.

Thank you Heath you are a God send.l am trying to hold on to the faith in long holds sometimes it just feels impossible but l know it has worked for you and so many others so why not me.

I am also worried about Valley and l am hoping no news is good news in this instance.l hope you are doing well.

Stut X

Thanks for that post Heath!  it really strikes at the core of holds, that I've not ever been able to hold myself to.

FWIW Stut, I have held before but I think I always tried that smidgeon of a change at some time during the hold, kind of defeating the purpose.

I've been holding for either 23 or 33 days now -- yes from a smidgeon of a change on day 10 -- and am starting to feel good!

amazingly good.  My sense of humour is coming back -- something i thought was gone forever.  I managed an emergency with our cat easily and without sxs ramping up for hours.  My energy is coming back.

And I can continue to keep thinking "My CNS is healing and I'm getting better."    Big change from where my thoughts took me before. And I think our thoughts definitely can have an impact on our bodies...  The thing with being able to change my thinking is that I can see the changes so can truly believe my chant of healing!

So as someone who is in the middle of the seeming miracle that a hold can allow -- I want to chime in about holds being a good option when it seems that nothing can work....  and I'm only on day 23/33....

Hoping that your day is better and that a hold will do for you what it is starting to do for me....

Another hope that no news is good news about Valley....

All the best to you

SS

Great news SS.I hope you continue to feel the benefits of your long hold.l have decided to hold as long as it takes then move very slowly.l want to only do this once.Never ever again.

Stut X

Yes!  I'm never doing this again either..... Here's hoping that the hold will do wonders -- it has for so many..

wishing you a good day

SS

Heath, Stut, begood, SS --

It's really good to read such posts, a sliver of hope when it feels like there is none, and I still hold on to the knowledge of others having made this trek.  I don't actually know lynn33 or ValleyUm, but I trust their words, as I trust yours.  So I almost feel like I'm betraying all that in not wanting to keep holding with my mother's taper.  It's been 3 months, or just 1 month if we have to count smidgens of change during those 3 months.  Her worst symptoms still bad, tortured every single day.  Then I had a thought, told SS about it elsewhere, that it may be that holds do work, but only at a certain level of benzos

So, for example, a hold works if the amount of benzos in the body is low enough to make room for the CNS to do repair work, but at a relatively high dose of benzos, the CNS could be too encumbered by the larger amount of drugs so that it doesn't have the space to do much healing. 

In your Sigs, I noted that you were all at the level of 10mg Valium or lower at the start of tapering, and then even lower in dose during holds; ValleyUm was at 11.5mg Valium and lynn33 at 1mg Xanax (=20mg Valium) while holding.  And all these holds ultimately proved helpful in relieving symptoms.  My mother, though, is at the equivalent of 28mg Valium (higher than ValleyUm's or lynn33's equivalent dosage when they held), and not seeing any relief.  So, I think, we should implement a hold after we've tapered down to a lower dose, something lower than 28mg V equivalent, not before, not now.  That's my theory as of now.  If you have any information or thoughts that could bear on this, please let me know.  Thank you. 

Hi Delta it's a gamble as you know however I think perhaps if you do it very slowly and hold perhaps you may see an improvement.l wish I could give you a firm yes or no.It is something you can do and hopefully with enough time you will see an  improvement.l am thinking about you and your mum and l hope to hear something positive soon.

I hope things work out for you.Let us know how it is going.

Stut X

It's really good to read such posts, a sliver of hope when it feels like there is none, and I still hold on to the knowledge of others having made this trek.  I don't actually know lynn33 or ValleyUm, but I trust their words, as I trust yours.  So I almost feel like I'm betraying all that in not wanting to keep holding with my mother's taper.  It's been 3 months, or just 1 month if we have to count smidgens of change during those 3 months.  Her worst symptoms still bad, tortured every single day.  And I've had a thought, told SS about it elsewhere, that it may be that holds do work, but only at a certain level of benzos.  A hold works if the amount of benzos in the body is low enough to make room for the CNS to do repair work.  At a relatively high dose of benzos, the CNS could be too busy trying to fight the larger amount of drugs that it can't afford the space to do much healing. 

In your Sigs, I noted that you were all at the level of 10mg Valium or lower at the start of tapering, and then even lower in dose during holds; ValleyUm was at 11.5mg Valium and lynn33 at 1mg Xanax (=20mg Valium) while holding.  And all these holds ultimately proved helpful in relieving symptoms.  My mother, though, is at the equivalent of 28mg Valium, not taking any other meds that might ease the withdrawal some (e.g., ADs, hydroxyzine, other psychotropic drugs), and not seeing any relief.  So, I think, we should implement a hold after we've tapered down to a lower dose, something lower than 28mg V equivalent, not before, not now.  That's my theory as of now.  If you have any information or thoughts that could bear on this, please let me know.  Thank you.

Delta,

In my opinion, if your mom is suffering every day, I would not cut further. I don't see how that would improve things. I cut through bad symptoms and ended up needing to updose and hold for a long time. I am not sure how what equivalency of valium has to do with holds.

It's really good to read such posts, a sliver of hope when it feels like there is none, and I still hold on to the knowledge of others having made this trek.  I don't actually know lynn33 or ValleyUm, but I trust their words, as I trust yours.  So I almost feel like I'm betraying all that in not wanting to keep holding with my mother's taper.  It's been 3 months, or just 1 month if we have to count smidgens of change during those 3 months.  Her worst symptoms still bad, tortured every single day.  And I've had a thought, told SS about it elsewhere, that it may be that holds do work, but only at a certain level of benzos.  A hold works if the amount of benzos in the body is low enough to make room for the CNS to do repair work.  At a relatively high dose of benzos, the CNS could be too busy trying to fight the larger amount of drugs that it can't afford the space to do much healing. 

In your Sigs, I noted that you were all at the level of 10mg Valium or lower at the start of tapering, and then even lower in dose during holds; ValleyUm was at 11.5mg Valium and lynn33 at 1mg Xanax (=20mg Valium) while holding.  And all these holds ultimately proved helpful in relieving symptoms.  My mother, though, is at the equivalent of 28mg Valium, not taking any other meds that might ease the withdrawal some (e.g., ADs, hydroxyzine, other psychotropic drugs), and not seeing any relief.  So, I think, we should implement a hold after we've tapered down to a lower dose, something lower than 28mg V equivalent, not before, not now.  That's my theory as of now.  If you have any information or thoughts that could bear on this, please let me know.  Thank you.

[/quote

Delta1, you know I don't havre a lot of experience at this, but what u say concerns me  maybe I am completely wrong, but have you thought of a long slow liquid titration?  It's not holding and it's not cutting, it's just creeping down real slow and you can still do that longer hold when you're mom is lower hold when your mom is down some more.  If my back didn't hurt, which I hurt before w/d's, Since I started liquid titration, my anxiety has been low, sleep have wat decent, I am not in too bad a shape.  See if you can get Collin, or any of the really experienced people to give you a suggestion.  But remember, I have little experience, I am just concerned for all of you :smitten:

Stut, thanks so much for your thoughts, and it would give me pleasure to no end to be able to tell you that Mum's doing better, so I hope one day very soon.  Right, as you say, a gamble, a crap shoot it feels like, but I would indeed do any lowering of dose very slowly and carefully, with the idea of getting to a lower dose (maybe somewhere closer to lynn33's 1mg Xanax or the Ve) to create an environment where holding could do some good.  I know you've also been having a rough time, so I really appreciate your thinking of us. 

NJ, I appreciate your input as well and will keep that in mind. 

Mary, always value your insights, and yes, agree on the long slow liquid titration.  That would be the only way I'd try moving from here onward, minuscule "cuts" slowly.  So I have been studying up on LMT, and thank you for encouraging me.  (You and Stut, always showing up together like my guardian angels to cheer me on :))

Stut, thanks so much for your thoughts, and it would give me pleasure to no end to be able to tell you that Mum's doing better, so I hope one day very soon.  Right, as you say, a gamble, a crap shoot it feels like, but I would indeed do any lowering of dose very slowly and carefully, with the idea of getting to a lower dose (maybe somewhere closer to lynn33's 1mg Xanax or the Ve) to create an environment where holding could do some good.  I know you've also been having a rough time, so I really appreciate your thinking of us. 

NJ, I appreciate your input as well and will keep that in mind. 

Mary, always value your insights, and yes, agree on the long slow liquid titration.  That would be the only way I'd try moving from here onward, minuscule "cuts" slowly.  So I have been studying up on LMT, and thank you for encouraging me.  (You and Stut, always showing up together like my guardian angels to cheer me on :))

U r our hero, don't stay off here so long , we worry  :-\

It's really good to read such posts, a sliver of hope when it feels like there is none, and I still hold on to the knowledge of others having made this trek.  I don't actually know lynn33 or ValleyUm, but I trust their words, as I trust yours.  So I almost feel like I'm betraying all that in not wanting to keep holding with my mother's taper.  It's been 3 months, or just 1 month if we have to count smidgens of change during those 3 months.  Her worst symptoms still bad, tortured every single day.  Then I had a thought, told SS about it elsewhere, that it may be that holds do work, but only at a certain level of benzos

So, for example, a hold works if the amount of benzos in the body is low enough to make room for the CNS to do repair work, but at a relatively high dose of benzos, the CNS could be too encumbered by the larger amount of drugs so that it doesn't have the space to do much healing. 

In your Sigs, I noted that you were all at the level of 10mg Valium or lower at the start of tapering, and then even lower in dose during holds; ValleyUm was at 11.5mg Valium and lynn33 at 1mg Xanax (=20mg Valium) while holding.  And all these holds ultimately proved helpful in relieving symptoms.  My mother, though, is at the equivalent of 28mg Valium (higher than ValleyUm's or lynn33's equivalent dosage when they held), and not seeing any relief.  So, I think, we should implement a hold after we've tapered down to a lower dose, something lower than 28mg V equivalent, not before, not now.  That's my theory as of now.  If you have any information or thoughts that could bear on this, please let me know.  Thank you.

Hi Delta1,

I'm so glad that you've asked this question where a few people can chime in with what they have experienced.  Although I am having a very good response to this long hold -- I always also had a good response to short holds --  Even a few days would improve sxs in a way that were measurable for me.  I simply grew too impatient to continue and thought I'd keep going!

With that in mind, and the idea that you have said that the hold is not helping with you Mother's sxs at all, I too think I would consider trying a very very slow taper and see what relief that may bring for your Mom.

When I say slow I mean, as someone else suggested,  a part liquid taper watching very closely for sxs and sxs relief.    I first started a part liquid taper from a place of being quite unstable I now realize, but I could see the results pretty quickly.  I could taper without destabilizing myself any further.

So there is probably some very good sense to not hold for your Mom as she has been suffering ever since she started on this medicine if I remember correctly.  There was never a dose where she felt stable on these class of medication?  If I'm remembering that correctly...

And yes this long hold that i have embarked on is after tapering quite a bit of medicine to begin with.

Good luck with it all and please keep us posted as to how it's all going.

Think of you and your Mom every day.....

:):smitten:

SS

Hi Delta1,

I'm so glad that you've asked this question where a few people can chime in with what they have experienced.  Although I am having a very good response to this long hold -- I always also had a good response to short holds --  Even a few days would improve sxs in a way that were measurable for me.  I simply grew too impatient to continue and thought I'd keep going!

With that in mind, and the idea that you have said that the hold is not helping with you Mother's sxs at all, I too think I would consider trying a very very slow taper and see what relief that may bring for your Mom.

When I say slow I mean, as someone else suggested,  a part liquid taper watching very closely for sxs and sxs relief.    I first started a part liquid taper from a place of being quite unstable I now realize, but I could see the results pretty quickly.  I could taper without destabilizing myself any further.

So there is probably some very good sense to not hold for your Mom as she has been suffering ever since she started on this medicine if I remember correctly.  There was never a dose where she felt stable on these class of medication?  If I'm remembering that correctly...

And yes this long hold that i have embarked on is after tapering quite a bit of medicine to begin with.

Good luck with it all and please keep us posted as to how it's all going.

Think of you and your Mom every day.....

:):smitten:

SS

I agree with SS, I am sorry I do not know your Mothers history, but what she said makes sense. I hope she starts to feel better. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Delta, Fair thoughts, and good replies..!!

Am thinking on it too...

Whem people are tolerant, small reductions become the only safe way forward.. Or if in trouble from a failed cross over where "reaction" seems more the issue... Or polly drug issues...

So if a hold hasnt worked, and dose correction isnt a fit, its a good place to start with minimal serious risks..

But.. 3mths isnt realy a long hold yet... so there is that..

All we can do at times is make the best choices we can, and adjust as we go..

Must run...

All the best for now...!!

[b4...]