Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Welcome SufferingSixty! Now we shall suffer together.

Congrats on your taper :thumbsup:

I’m glad you like the group. Hope I will, too!

Looking for some advice.  Here is a short of my story.

Was given Lorazepam from GP after coming off a Beta Blocker cold turkey (heart doc's advice) that was giving me panic attacks.  Over the period of 4 months was up to 4mgs of L due to interdose withdrawal.  Didn't realize it at the time.  Was never told how addictive this stuff was.

I found another doc that was familiar with crossing over to a longer acting benzo.  So over the period of a few months we switch to 40mgs of Diazepam.

Over the last 3 months I have dropped 12.5 mgs of Diazepam and am currently at 27.5 mgs.  After the third cut I started to feel worse and everyone since I have felt worse.

My question is did I cut too fast?  I am almost 5 weeks holding right now and feel horrible. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I want this stuff out of my body but I don't want to suffer and have to keep my job.  I am the sole supporter of my family.

Hi Chris! Happy you've found your way here! If I average your cuts over the past 3 months, I come up with a little over 4mg a month which would definitely be too much for me. I always recommend starting with 5% a month and increasing from there if possible.

I agree with Lynn that holding right now would be a good move. It can take quite a while to stabilize if you have significantly shocked your CNS (it took me 6 months). I did find that after holding for as long as I needed has enabled me to taper without many issues since the hold.

Be patient and understand that stabilization takes time and will be filled with ups and downs, windows and waves and will be very gradual. Many panic and give up too soon so try to relax and just take the sxs as they come.

We're glad you're here! I hope you get the help andsupport you need.  :)--V

Are you have any trouble with depression?  Mine seems to come in waves.  Never had depression problems in the past.  I'll be fine, as far as depression and all of the sudden I'll be ready to cry.

Was given Lorazepam from GP after coming off a Beta Blocker cold turkey (heart doc's advice) that was giving me panic attacks.  Over the period of 4 months was up to 4mgs of L due to interdose withdrawal.  Didn't realize it at the time.  Was never told how addictive this stuff was.

I found another doc that was familiar with crossing over to a longer acting benzo.  So over the period of a few months we switch to 40mgs of Diazepam.

Over the last 3 months I have dropped 12.5 mgs of Diazepam and am currently at 27.5 mgs.  After the third cut I started to feel worse and everyone since I have felt worse.

My question is did I cut too fast?  I am almost 5 weeks holding right now and feel horrible. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I want this stuff out of my body but I don't want to suffer and have to keep my job.  I am the sole supporter of my family.

Hi Chris! Happy you've found your way here! If I average your cuts over the past 3 months, I come up with a little over 4mg a month which would definitely be too much for me. I always recommend starting with 5% a month and increasing from there if possible.

I agree with Lynn that holding right now would be a good move. It can take quite a while to stabilize if you have significantly shocked your CNS (it took me 6 months). I did find that after holding for as long as I needed has enabled me to taper without many issues since the hold.

Be patient and understand that stabilization takes time and will be filled with ups and downs, windows and waves and will be very gradual. Many panic and give up too soon so try to relax and just take the sxs as they come.

Are you have any trouble with depression?  Mine seems to come in waves.  Never had depression problems in the past.  I'll be fine, as far as depression and all of the sudden I'll be ready to cry.

I have found Valium to have quite a depressive effect.... :( And yes it comes in waves for me too..... then I remind myself it's the medication which can help sometimes.

SS

I definitely have the bouts of depression.  :)--V

Welcome SufferingSixty! Now we shall suffer together.

Congrats on your taper :thumbsup:

I’m glad you like the group. Hope I will, too!

Well here's to not suffering together  :laugh: and getting off this shit. :thumbsup:

:smitten:

SS

I havnt posted in a while because my ear clicking has taken over my life...all day and night I have a constant clicking in my ear..sometimes its once every 30 mins other times its very rapid like 200 clicks per minute.. I am going out of my mind...the clicking is deep in my ear and never allows me to think..I have been to and ENT and he says its stress related...I have been prescribed Belsomra to help me get some sleep at night...I have no other choice I may even consider going on anti depressant if this keeps up...Just try to imagine a constant clicking noise all day and night,...never knowing when or if it will ever end..I am exhausted ...I was so happy 2 weeks ago with my world expanding...now  this clicking stole my  life away from me again...please if there is anyone out there who has recovered from this very rare tensor tympani syndrome please reply with words of hope...

Hi Steve. I've had the clicking on and off but never constant like you describe. I'm confident it will resolve for you over time. Sxs of withdrawal seem to come and go and change over time. I hope it clears up soon.  :)--V

Thank you valley....yes evil benzo symptoms can appear long after a jump...may I ask how long did your total clicking experiance last?  was its span of days...weeks?  Did you just can a random click or could it last for a few hours?... as you can see I am a bit worried... :sick:

It seems the clicking is a symptom that continues to come and go for me. When I get it, it usually lasts a couple of days at most and seems to fade after that. It keeps coming back but only for short periods of time and doesn't seem to be anything that interferes with daily life although if it were constant it most likely would.  :)--V

Thank you so much for your replies....for me the clicking started and has never left for longer than maybe 2 hours...Nothing triggers it or relieves it... I am currently trying Magnesium and Flexeril {a muscle relaxant} but nither seem to be helping  :sick:

I am glad you don't have it as bad as I do and hopefully it will end for me soon...It has taken my anxiety to all time highs now since this is just like a Chinese water torture...It just never stops for me...

6 weeks benzo free... another day of healing for everyone :thumbsup:  I was able to recollect my thoughts after a bad panic attack over this endless clicking in my ear all day and night... Nobody will ever understand what it does to your mind...just like nobody will ever understand what benzo w/d is like except someone who has gone thru it..  But I was able to gather my thoughts and try and find some hope...I have to keep telling myself that it will end just like some of my other symptoms did... Benzo recovery is so cruel ...it plays with your mind in ways you never imagined...it takes incredible courage and strength to thru this...in my last post I mention I would consider taking an antidepressant until my ear clicking ended but that was me during a very bad moment and I understand that I have to just let this symptom run it course...taking an anti depressant will come with it's own new bag of new symptoms and I have come to far now...:thumbsup:  I hope everyone is feeling some relief today...

6 weeks benzo free... another day of healing for everyone :thumbsup:  I was able to recollect my thoughts after a bad panic attack over this endless clicking in my ear all day and night... Nobody will ever understand what it does to your mind...just like nobody will ever understand what benzo w/d is like except someone who has gone thru it..  But I was able to gather my thoughts and try and find some hope...I have to keep telling myself that it will end just like some of my other symptoms did... Benzo recovery is so cruel ...it plays with your mind in ways you never imagined...it takes incredible courage and strength to thru this...in my last post I mention I would consider taking an antidepressant until my ear clicking ended but that was me during a very bad moment and I understand that I have to just let this symptom run it course...taking an anti depressant will come with it's own new bag of new symptoms and I have come to far now...:thumbsup:  I hope everyone is feeling some relief today...

Hi Steve. Just joined this group. Most of your symptoms will disappear with time and patience. I did a 3 mos’ clorazepate taper back in 2002. I was benzo free for 11 yrs (2003-2014).

Considering that you were taking benzos for a very short time, I think you may become completely symptom free. An AD comes with many sxs, including anxiety. If your pdoc/GP doesn’t insist, try not to take an AD for the time being. If he does, ask for his rationale behind this decision. Writing an Rx takes minutes. The consequences for the patient last for many yrs. You may heal completely. What you are suffering from are still BDZ WD sxs.

As far as ear clicking is concerned. There are special drops for the ears, available in pharmacies. They contain different nutritional oils. I used to soak cotton buds in those drops and then put them in my ears. At home of course. You may equally try wireless headphones with some music.

Be careful with Belsomra. Also may cause a limited psychological/physical dependence. It’s addictive potential is probably similar to that of zolpidem. Just acts on different receptors. Not on GABA. It’s a new psych med. A new psych med is always a risky psych med. Just note down how many pills you take a week. I guess Vistaril would be safer. Up to your doctor to decide. Avoid alcoholic drinks. Alcohol affects GABA receptors just like benzos. Best of luck and congrats on your taper  :thumbsup:

I'm struggling now with anxiety and stomach trouble.  It's been 5 weeks since my last cut.  I see that you held for 6 months.  How long did it take you to feel better?

I'm struggling now with anxiety and stomach trouble.  It's been 5 weeks since my last cut.  I see that you held for 6 months.  How long did it take you to feel better?

I answered through PM.  :)—V

Sad news for the veteran members of the group. Cookie is sick and dying.  :'(

Oh no!! not [glow=red,2,300]"SWEET COOKIE" [/glow]Please give her my Love and a sweet kiss from her bestie. This is the worst news...but thanks for letting us know. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'([glow=red,2,300]"COOKIE" [/glow]Will always be Our Mascot.Please do not leave her alone. :'( 

Oh no!! not [glow=red,2,300]"SWEET COOKIE" [/glow]Please give her my Love and a sweet kiss from her bestie. This is the worst news...but thanks for letting us know. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'([glow=red,2,300]"COOKIE" [/glow]Will always be Our Mascot.Please do not leave her alone. :'(

I keep checking on her. She was fine a couple of days ago but got sick all of a sudden. I’ve seen it happen to many chickens and know there isn’t much I can do except keep food and water near them.  >:(

I keep checking on her. She was fine a couple of days ago but got sick all of a sudden. I’ve seen it happen to many chickens and know there isn’t much I can do except keep food and water near them.  >:(

.  :'( :'( :'( 

I answered through PM.  :)—V

I'd like to know too.... I guess my one month hold wasn't long enough.. I know that's not a long hold but my questions are how good should I be feeling before I cut again?  The longer I'm cutting this Xanax the longer I'm on the valium which was added and that's scaring me.

I wasn't feeling great during my hold, but not awful, and now a .002mg cut has made today pretty difficult.... or maybe it's just me and this is what it'll be like tapering.  I'd just like to get to where I'm just taking pills and not having to measure liquid every night... but that's .02mg away. 

Not sure if my expectations are right about what this whole process "should" be like....

Feeling discouraged.....

Hi SS. It took me about 4 months to feel somewhat better and the waves kept coming through month 5. I held another month just to be sure as I had committed to a 6 month hold as a guinea pig to see if it would work. The one thing I didn’t get rid of totally was some slight depression although that has improved greatly as I’ve tapered.  The improvement during a hold is sometimes so gradual you don’t even notice until you look back and see how much improvement you’ve really had so don’t give up hope.  :)—V

Hi SS. It took me about 4 months to feel somewhat better and the waves kept coming through month 5. I held another month just to be sure as I had committed to a 6 month hold as a guinea pig to see if it would work. The one thing I didn’t get rid of totally was some slight depression although that has improved greatly as I’ve tapered.  The improvement during a hold is sometimes so gradual you don’t even notice until you look back and see how much improvement you’ve really had so don’t give up hope.  :)—V

Thanks V,

Four months huh..... Well one month is nothing then!

SS

Hi, I've cut over 30% in approx 6 months. I know I was down to 7mg in around February and by August was at 1.5mg  I had cut around 5 times. Sorry i cant think straight. I last cut 6 weeks ago and felt myself dropping in mood. I have been in this horrendous wave for 2 weeks now, have I done permanent damage, will I ever feel normal again.i started off tapering in February 2015 at 30mg dry, I'm now down 1.5mg

.It's confusing because I was on tablets then went on to liquid..

I agree with Valley. Hold as long as necessary. Sometimes, if a s/x won't let up, I just cut and it resolves. Not always, but sometimes. It's not a race and the sooner I get off, the sooner I may be dealing with issues I may avoid if I go really slow  I try to remember this. When I have a lot at work I simply don't cut. When I can spare a some time to feeling like total crap, not being able to type because hands are so sill, u name it, I will cut. And then, of course, some cuts are fine and others are not. I guess there is no way to know. I've been taking tiny bites of benadryl to sleep. Hope it's okay.

Hi, I've cut over 30% in approx 6 months. I know I was down to 7mg in around February and by August was at 1.5mg  I had cut around 5 times. Sorry i cant think straight. I last cut 6 weeks ago and felt myself dropping in mood. I have been in this horrendous wave for 2 weeks now, have I done permanent damage, will I ever feel normal again.i started off tapering in February 2015 at 30mg dry, I'm now down 1.5mg

.It's confusing because I was on tablets then went on to liquid..

I believe you will feel normal again. Right now you’re CNS is destabilized and is trying to heal. The healing is very gradual and slow but it does happen so hang in there!  :)—V

I'd really like advice.

I have been holding a long time. Mostly feel well. Nausea which I have found CBD oil to help, I don't use it everyday.

Sent my son off to college in mid August. Major stressor but have felt settled. Keep saying I am going to start cutting but I have been looking for a new job for a very long time. I had two great interviews this week and I (hope) one might come through. Thinking about it has caused an uptick in symptoms, more nausea, mild anxiety, trouble sleeping. So I guess I keep holding to see how this goes? I just don't know. On one hand I am not in a hurry and don't need to get off, I really have no "impairment" or a doctor rushing me. But on the other hand, I would like to at some point try to put this horror show behind me. There are times I think I should just hold here forever, although "here" is admittedly not as stable as I would like to feel forever.

My current job is really not good .... I would love to stay because it is "easy"--short commute, absolutely no one is held accountable, I think I am generally liked-- but it is a horrible environment  to work in, like we could probably get a class action lawsuit if we worked together to do it. A new job would mean more stress but I feel ready for more in my life, except this benzo mess always leaves me second guessing myself, and is not exactly a confidence-builder.

So I guess can someone reassure me just keep holding is okay? I know this is the right place here for that type of support. I have been holding so long I am not sure a benzo tapering board is even the right place for me anymore ....

.  :'( :'( :'(

Oh my gosh. I've been out of touch for  a while. Not feeling too good, and now I came back again to such sad news! Oh my, dear Cookie! I'm not giving up hope. Maybe she is just sick and will get better? She's brought such laughter and distraction to us here on the long hold group! I hope she will be ok! Not  to mention how much you love that little chickie, V!  Sure hope things may turn around..

:-[ :-[  :therethere:

I'd really like advice.

I have been holding a long time. Mostly feel well. Nausea which I have found CBD oil to help, I don't use it everyday.

Sent my son off to college in mid August. Major stressor but have felt settled. Keep saying I am going to start cutting but I have been looking for a new job for a very long time. I had two great interviews this week and I (hope) one might come through. Thinking about it has caused an uptick in symptoms, more nausea, mild anxiety, trouble sleeping. So I guess I keep holding to see how this goes? I just don't know. On one hand I am not in a hurry and don't need to get off, I really have no "impairment" or a doctor rushing me. But on the other hand, I would like to at some point try to put this horror show behind me. There are times I think I should just hold here forever, although "here" is admittedly not as stable as I would like to feel forever.

My current job is really not good .... I would love to stay because it is "easy"--short commute, absolutely no one is held accountable, I think I am generally liked-- but it is a horrible environment  to work in, like we could probably get a class action lawsuit if we worked together to do it. A new job would mean more stress but I feel ready for more in my life, except this benzo mess always leaves me second guessing myself, and is not exactly a confidence-builder.

So I guess can someone reassure me just keep holding is okay? I know this is the right place here for that type of support. I have been holding so long I am not sure a benzo tapering board is even the right place for me anymore ....

I think most would say to hold if you are starting a new job.  It's understandable that sxs would ramp up with the stress of interviews/thinking of making a change.  That said, you say you "generally feel well" and that is about where most would feel ready to resume their taper.  So my thoughts would be that if you weren't switching jobs that it would probably be time to cut.  I think that I might wait this process out or, maybe, try a small cut while still looking and see how it goes.  There really is no right or wrong answer but I wouldn't pressure myself just because I had been holding a long time.  You should do what you are comfortable with.  The taper will be there when you are ready.

Ok so i need to hold for a while. Been down dosing .001 or .002 everyday with a daily micro taper. Got down to .85mg v.  Doing about 5% a month.

But now I feel like I have arthritis in almost my whole body.

Joints hurt in big toe really bad, ankles, knees, hips neck . Even my jaw and teeth are hurting.  Oh and swollen glands in my neck too!

Can't walk very far. Going up and down steps at school and to the office from the classroom is a chore! Never used to be like this. IM NOT STRESSING OVER IT. JUST REALLY PAINFUL AND INTERFERING WITH MY LIFE!

So hold it is! 

Since I've been doing tiny daily cuts, I'm hoping a hold of about 1 week to 10 days will be enough, but time will tell.

IVE HAD MUSCLE ACHES A LOT DURING MY WITHDRAWAL BUT NOT JOINT PAIN.This is new to me.

This is a normal side effect isn't it? Anyone have this before?

Heath

[eb...]