Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Hey SI, Hows the reinstatement going..?? *** Oh , I see your new post... Interesting, -you kinda have to guess if you will get SX..!! -The "what if's" must be hard...  -Prob good that you are playing it a bit safe... -pieces to the puzzle...!!

(My "cheeky" math was for Lynn btw)

Hi Tntd, Glad you got a chance for some quality time... Back to the grind isnt so great though, but overall the right direction I hope...

Hope everyone is surviving... -Strength to those who arent doing so well...

My sleep has totally gone at night, but I feel quite well, no SX asides insomnia...

But... the instant it starts to get light, It all hits like a hammer, -Everything, from T to Cramps, shaking, sensitivity and overwhelming fatigue.. So -12 to 14 hours broken but deep sleep, Yet I can still feel the SX in the background, worse when I wake...

By 4pm im starting to feel a bit better, and after dark it starts to lift again... Best from midnight on to first light...

So... Does this sound like cortisol? -I know its related to both opiates and benzos, but the benzos are by far the worst... At least I know its WD..!!

The Question is to medicate for it or just roll with it and let the brain sort itself out in time...

This is the most prominent, or clear, that the cycle has ever been... perhaps its the lower dose..

I guess its kinda nice knowing it is WD, and will ease in time, but kinda makes the last 1V look like a huge mountain to climb...

-and some say I shouldnt even be noticing it..!!

Would love to live in that world..!!

All in all, -holding up ok.. :)

Next, Next, Next..!!

Open for comments, thoughts, -whateva...

-I guess im wondering if anyone has been quite so nocturnal and SX free at night...? And so opposite in the day..?

Incidently, I never needed the opiates at night either... Infact I have done well at night my whole life, that I can remember... (and loved sleeping in, hating early mornings to the point of morning sickness at times)

...And yes, am having a blurt...!! Lol :)

Be well...

LOL you are welcome to blurt Cant.

It's odd but apart from the fact that I have never slept well since almost as long as I can remember I can relate to what you say.

The fact of my lifelong insomnia maybe means that i am used to it and a good night's sleep is always a bonus.

The time I feel worst though, like you, is early morning.

Most days I gradually feel better as the day goes on and feel good by about 4pm, like you...very best time also between 4pm and midnight/bedtime.

I suppose it must be  the cortisol thing [?]  but as I had never heard of it until I read it on here I'm still puzzled by it.

Have you improved, apart from insomnia, since your dose became lower?

I think I have but some mornings the extreme depression is overwhelming, and also some panic feelings.

I am just sort of going with it because of it being withdrawal but then I'm sleeping well [for me]

I suppose you could medicate with something to help you sleep?

I feel less able to cope when I can't sleep.

And, yes, I have had people tell me that I should "have no noticeable symptoms"  reducing from 5mgs to none.

It would be nice to live n that world.

It is what medical people tell me - or they did - they abandoned me for not following their advice to cut very quickly  ::)

My brother took valium for years, two decades, but is very dismissive of withdrawal effects after you get below 5mgs.

I think our brains will adjust but I would be tempted to take something to sleep even if only for a few days to try to change your sleep pattern but as to what you could take which wouldn't be addictive I don't know.

There are a few in this group who take the thing whose name I can't remember - oh yes, doxylamine succinate which I have tried a few odd nights - does help but daren't get dependent on it.

Yes I feel I've got a mountain to climb too.

Cant = that bit of cheekiness went right over my head. ???

It's nice to see so many here doing well! :smitten:

I've had some ramping after the intense stress of Irma but nothing unmanageable or debilitating.  I just need a week or so of no stress!...crosses fingers...

p.s.  SI - I take some zzquil occasionally but sleep is 1000% better off the psych meds.

Cant = that bit of cheekiness went right over my head. ???

It's nice to see so many here doing well! :smitten:

I've had some ramping after the intense stress of Irma but nothing unmanageable or debilitating.  I just need a week or so of no stress!...crosses fingers...

p.s.  SI - I take some zzquil occasionally but sleep is 1000% better off the psych meds.

LOL I thought Cant's cheekiness was for me and my erratic cutting.

Is zzquil like doxy?

I've never seen it over here but yes my sleep is getting better and better as I get my dose lower - plus it actually feels like a more  natural sleep. :thumbsup:

A week or two of no stress I'm wishing you right now. :smitten:

SI - zzquil is by the makers of Nyquil.  It just has a few less chemicals...supposedly.  I'm not sure what's in it. :idiot:  I was on ambien for years and it stopped working, gave me headaches and made me feel hungover.  I tried zzquil back then and found it worked for me and I awoke refreshed.  Now, I would say I use it 2 or 3 times a month...with good result.

SI - zzquil is by the makers of Nyquil.  It just has a few less chemicals...supposedly.  I'm not sure what's in it. :idiot:  I was on ambien for years and it stopped working, gave me headaches and made me feel hungover.  I tried zzquil back then and found it worked for me and I awoke refreshed.  Now, I would say I use it 2 or 3 times a month...with good result.

Thanks Lynn

Just checked and can get it over here  :thumbsup:

Thanks..

Im hoping im at about the worst from this cut, give or take...

I have been improving inbetween cuts, and sleep at night improved too...

I guess my healing will happen as it can, and I worry that assisting it with meds might complicate it..

Either over riding the need to heal properly, or allowing me to cut too soon, etc..

Play it by ear I guess...

Good news is that I actually feel a little tired tonight..!!

-its 11pm...

Probably best to assume that every cut will be different from here...

-so lucky I can day sleep...

Thanks Guys.. :)

Zzzzzzz??

Thanks..

I guess my healing will happen as it can, and I worry that assisting it with meds might complicate it..

Either over riding the need to heal properly, or allowing me to cut too soon, etc..

-its 11pm...

Zzzzzzz??

Yes let's hope you are right.

Play it by ear is my strategy too - never know what to expect  ::)

Do hope you have a good night tonight.

I know what you mean about adding meds, it makes it so difficult to know exactly what is happening and why.

I've just taken the doxy succinate  on a couple of occasions when I felt a bit stressed after travel  and on the night my meds went AWOL.

They seem ok and do make me sleep quickly, but a very slight grogginess early am which I've never been keen on and all sleep meds tend to cause it for me.

Best  for you to know what is causing which symptom imo without extra complications - good luck and good sleep  :thumbsup:

Hi all,

So good to hear that things are going well after those big cuts, inadvertent and purposeful , Cant and SI.... This stuff is such a mystery!  but hoping that the w/d from that continues to go well... It's a psych thing somehow.  A big cut and the consequences just feel like it's all heading in the right direction -- if we can handle it at that time...

I usually feel great at night Cant!  And never need to dose for 12 hours after I take my Xanax. (feel lots of sxs between 4 hour Valium doses during the day -- Weird).  So I know I can relate to the night time thing.

I do take a smidgen of Remeron for sleep and it's been a godsend...  when I don't sleep everything feels a bit black around the edges.

So glad that everyone's families got through that hurricane, with damage, but bodies intact...  it's kind of a test of fire for w/d issues I figure...

I'm in day 14 of my hold and feeling pretty good -- finally got it into my noggin that these holds help the body heal -- a few circumstances have helped prove that to me, no hurricanes -- but Life in all it's intensity...

thanks for being here buddies.....

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

Glad you are doing well SS...Hoping Cant and SI feel better and all who are struggling.

I have a question for experienced holders.....as you know my doctor told me to hold and try to get back to life.....I think it's been 3 weeks and I'm a novice at this.....so please tell me this is normal....

Was doing basically better ( as I started out as a basket case so it's relative). But I was going one or two places.  Very basic stuff

Last night didn't sleep well.....today tried to go out and went 2 places....very basic .....came home extremely dizzy and completely exhausted.....like I couldn't even talk on the phone....my balance is off and I just feel lousy....I know this feeling is a withdrawal feeling.....with a hold do you eventually stabilize??  This feeling is a bit scary?

Any thoughts....am I pushing it too much? 

Thanks HS❤️

As far as pushing it too much... it's almost laughable. Not really doing very much that's physical.  Was on the phone a lot yesterday trying to make decisions... then my 87 year old Mom called and said her heart beating funny... she has AFIB.....

Stress???

Sorry to be a pain. Thought holding would be magic. Guess it's not

Just need reassurance

Thanks again

❤️HS

Thanks..

-its 11pm...

Zzzzzzz??

I know what you mean about adding meds, it makes it so difficult to know exactly what is happening and why.

I've just taken the doxy succinate  on a couple of occasions when I felt a bit stressed after travel  and on the night my meds went AWOL.

They seem ok and do make me sleep quickly, but a very slight grogginess early am which I've never been keen on and all sleep meds tend to cause it for me.

Best  for you to know what is causing which symptom imo without extra complications - good luck and good sleep  :thumbsup:

Grrr... 15 minutes sleep, then wide awake...  But I can feel the added tension/anxiety...

If it doesnt ease up with the other SX it might be worth taking something to try a "reset"... Dr said She would give me melotonin.. But I havnt looked into it yet.. -Thought my body was sposed to make it, -not be bottle fed it..?

I have all the fish tanks for the best running water type white noise... But Even Pink Floyd Instrumental isnt working tonight..!!

Might as well get a night shift job..!!

Ok, Ill shut up now.. :)

(Next stop... -VENT Thread)... :(

As far as pushing it too much... it's almost laughable. Not really doing very much that's physical.  Was on the phone a lot yesterday trying to make decisions... then my 87 year old Mom called and said her heart beating funny... she has AFIB.....

Stress???

Just need reassurance

Thanks again

❤️HS

Hi HS,

fwiw, the first few days of my hold were pretty tough!  All the sxs that I thought were simply daily tapering would cycle through  -- less intensity but there they were none the less.  It's just in the last 2-3 days that I can say I'm feeling some better..... that being said I rarely do more than one thing a day and keep my socializing to a minimum... 

So from my experience this hold is doing a good thing -- but my body was so stressed when I began this that it's taking time for the body to catch up...

I do notice small things are better generally -- and I get blindsided too!  So somehow I know it's working and that my body feels different -- like it's healing ...not sure how to describe that -- maybe it's simply a hope...

other holds I have done  -- short oh so short! --  I was always chomping at the bit to start tapering again but not this time.  Somehow I know it's a good thing....  not an old timer at this but a newby who is having some success....

SS

Thanks..

-its 11pm...

Zzzzzzz??

Grrr... 15 minutes sleep, then wide awake...  But I can feel the added tension/anxiety...

If it doesnt ease up with the other SX it might be worth taking something to try a "reset"... Dr said She would give me melotonin.. But I havnt looked into it yet.. -Thought my body was sposed to make it, -not be bottle fed it..?

I have all the fish tanks for the best running water type white noise... But Even Pink Floyd Instrumental isnt working tonight..!!

sorry 'bout the sleep Cant..... Melatonin has been great for me at times -- just in waaaaay smaller doses than the store bought varieties.  say 1-2 mg or less.. and the dreams!  Yowza!  Such wild dreams from that stuff!

:smitten:

Glad you are doing well SS...Hoping Cant and SI feel better and all who are struggling.

I have a question for experienced holders.....as you know my doctor told me to hold and try to get back to life.....I think it's been 3 weeks and I'm a novice at this.....so please tell me this is normal....

Was doing basically better ( as I started out as a basket case so it's relative). But I was going one or two places.  Very basic stuff

Last night didn't sleep well.....today tried to go out and went 2 places....very basic .....came home extremely dizzy and completely exhausted.....like I couldn't even talk on the phone....my balance is off and I just feel lousy....I know this feeling is a withdrawal feeling.....with a hold do you eventually stabilize??  This feeling is a bit scary?

Thanks HS❤️

I'm feeling unnervingly fine thanks HS.

I just know it will be up and down though so I think that this is what is happening to you.

Everyone seems to say that symptoms come and go - bewildering, as SS says.

I go for yonks without a hint of vertigo then one day - wham, it hits me.

I felt bad vertigo and extreme tiredness yesterday.

The vertigo did ease off towards the end of the afternoon but I felt extremely tired.

Slept well, feel fine today :idiot:

I would guess, although I'm fairly inexperienced at holding, that you are ok to keep on holding and as for the doctor's "get back to life" - just do what you feel you can accomplish and if you feel bad just ease up for a day or two.

I'm a great one for distraction but we are all only human and struggling so I do try not to go out of my comfort zone if my vertigo is bad.

Talking on phone and making decisions isn't easy, and the anxiety about your Mum's call would be enough imo to bring on vertigo.

Mine ramps up with anxiety or a bad night without much sleep.

I am experienced in vertigo unfortunately  :) it's always been my worst and most persistent symptom, I used to get it even pre benzo.

Holding isn't magic but it seems to work much better than anything else.

I think you are doing well - think of how you were just a couple of weeks ago!!

Hang in, hold and wait until you feel good and stable.

You are doing well - try to not worry, vertigo gets worse when you worry about it in my experience. :thumbsup::smitten:

Hi all,

So good to hear that things are going well after those big cuts, inadvertent and purposeful , Cant and SI.... This stuff is such a mystery!  but hoping that the w/d from that continues to go well... It's a psych thing somehow.  A big cut and the consequences just feel like it's all heading in the right direction -- if we can handle it at that time...

I usually feel great at night Cant!  And never need to dose for 12 hours after I take my Xanax. (feel lots of sxs between 4 hour Valium doses during the day -- Weird).  So I know I can relate to the night time thing.

I do take a smidgen of Remeron for sleep and it's been a godsend...  when I don't sleep everything feels a bit black around the edges.

So glad that everyone's families got through that hurricane, with damage, but bodies intact...  it's kind of a test of fire for w/d issues I figure...

I'm in day 14 of my hold and feeling pretty good -- finally got it into my noggin that these holds help the body heal -- a few circumstances have helped prove that to me, no hurricanes -- but Life in all it's intensity...

thanks for being here buddies.....

SS

:) You are welcome ,SS.

We all seem to relate to Cant's feeling better late in the day/evening.

Yes this stuff is weird as you say and it took a while for me to realise that holding does work well.

My last intentional cut was 2 weeks ago and my ..erm..unintentional one 6 days ago but I feel good at the moment on 2.5.mgs

Expecting some up and downs - anything good is a bonus.

Glad you are feeling so good :thumbsup:

It's good that you have something to help sleep - I hate really bad nights too.

I just don't have alot of success with sleep meds because they make me groggy next morning but I take them when I feel it's really necessary.

I've always had insomnia but I had lots of CBT and sleep/relaxation therapy whch does help me to cope.

Keep on carrying on - we are all doing well  :thumbsup::smitten:

Stress???

Just need reassurance

Thanks again

❤️HS

You are not a pain and I'll reassure you again  :laugh:

You are doing well. :smitten::thumbsup:

Really well.

Thanks..

-its 11pm...

Zzzzzzz??

sorry 'bout the sleep Cant..... Melatonin has been great for me at times -- just in waaaaay smaller doses than the store bought varieties.  say 1-2 mg or less.. and the dreams!  Yowza!  Such wild dreams from that stuff!

:smitten:

Thanks SuperSixty..!!

I shouldnt be surprised, I was like this when I came to BB, -but with the holding i gained ground..

Dreams I can do..!! I had the notorious "Oxy dreams" on opiates... -no need for a TV... -just shut eyes and "nod" off... :)

Thanks for the thoughts...

Thanks..

-its 11pm...

Zzzzzzz??

Oh dear what a pain this sleep thing is.

Yes I would give the melatonin a try.

You can only try it and see what happens - worst scenario is it doesn't work.

Hope it does work for you but ...well...a shift job is a new idea  :crazy::)

Vent as much as you want to  :):thumbsup:

I feel for you Cant..... have had insomnia my whole adult life except when I was pregnant.  Guessing that's not an option......seriously everything I've tried aside from benzos made me feel lousy the next day..... so I'm no help for you..... but if you are getting only 15 minutes of sleep.... I'd try something......

Melatonin works for some people.... not for me.

Hope this is short lived

❤️HS

Well I was talking about a job as a mattress tester, a while ago...

Yes, probably best I atleast find out what will and wont work...

I suspect this last 1v isnt going to be as easy as I first thought...

At least I AM feeling better in other small ways..

:)

Well I think I ticked nearly every box for morning sickness pre Benzo...

Infact, just thinking of this makes me realise how far I have come in 2 years...!!

Its just starting to get light now, so sleep will be manditory!!! -I can feel it...

Too bad I have to get bloods done before lunch...

-Best set an alarm... crazy days...

HealingSeeker, dont be put off... -This is much more than just benzos...

And if holding can help me, -it will help just about anyone, given a chance...

Zzzzzz #ll

:)

Have a great day everyone... -my thoughts are also with those that are being quiet... Stay Strong...

Thanks HS❤️

I think pushing it sometimes can help mentally but be sure to rest when you can.  Holding is a process that at times may seem like you aren't gaining any ground.  It is up and down and completely non linear which causes us to question it.  My personal opinion is that most don't hold long enough to actually gain the benefits and when a wave hits believe it is "tolerance" when it's just ongoing stabilization.  Typically the stabilization comes very gradually. Be patient and hang in there!  :)--V

Thank you guys. All of you.....this benzo stuff is for the birds......had to just walk around my yard in the heat talking to the guy who is going to plant some bushes and a tree ( where the tree fell in my yard) ........now have full fledged sxs.....not quite vertigo....but really really dizzy and nauseous. My car has to go in the shop tomorrow and my husband leaves for overseas on a business trip Saturday fir a week.....worried about my Mom.....but I'm suppose to get back to my life somehow....

I guess this is life.....my nervous system just is having trouble handling my life......I guess I just wait.....

Thank you again

My niece just texted me from Florida.....she just got power back. ( guess I've been worrying about them too).  Calgon take me away.....anyone old enough to remember that commercial ( it's for bubble bath). Tootles

❤️HS

Me again

I was just watching a Hand in Hand for hurricane relief show that I taped a couple of nights ago.....sobbing.

My car has to go into the shop to get the heater fan replaced tomorrow...a minor inconvenience.....but I have a car.....

My husband leaves on a business trip....I'll be lonely and I'll miss him.....but he has a job

They are coming to plant bushes and trees in my yard next week cause a tree fell.....but I have a home and a dry yard to plant them in....

My granddaughter comes early tomorrow morning and we take her to school......she has a school to go to........

I may not feel good right now.....but I am blessed beyond belief

So many are suffering.....just thought I would share.......

There are so many good people out there helping others.....I was inspired ......THANK YOU all for helping me.

❤️HS

Me again

I was just watching a Hand in Hand for hurricane relief show that I taped a couple of nights ago.....sobbing.

My car has to go into the shop to get the heater fan replaced tomorrow...a minor inconvenience.....but I have a car.....

My husband leaves on a business trip....I'll be lonely and I'll miss him.....but he has a job

They are coming to plant bushes and trees in my yard next week cause a tree fell.....but I have a home and a dry yard to plant them in....

My granddaughter comes early tomorrow morning and we take her to school......she has a school to go to........

I may not feel good right now.....but I am blessed beyond belief

So many are suffering.....just thought I would share.......

There are so many good people out there helping others.....I was inspired ......THANK YOU all for helping me.

❤️HS

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

[29...]