Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

SufferingSixtie,

I just wanted to say that I have travelled all over the world while tapering. I never had a problem. I of course held a good bit of time before taking off anywhere.

This tapering and living can be done mutually but only at a rate conducive to allowing that.

Peace & Healing to all!

ATU 🙏🏻

I need help....perhaps more help than you all can give me.  I updosed slightly after holding fir a month.  I'm a mess.  I didn't sleep last night and the dizziness is getting to be dangerous.  I don't know what my options are.  I have no life.  You all are holding but are all at much lower levels than I am.i think the Ativan is hurting me to stay on it....yet I'm having trouble getting off it.  I'm wondering if it's becoming paradoxical.  I don't have enough will power to do this.  I'm lost

A very common thought process, not to be dismissive, There is a logic to it that your brain is connecting the suffering to you taking the meds... (short version)

I have followed a few difficult cases through in my short time here, where they try "everything" (except stability, and a long hold) In the end nothing works and they are far too sick to taper, and I mean sick..!!

For those that dont CT,...

Time passes, 4,5,6 months, still not able to cut... but starting to feel better... some cut straight away again (with predictable results), some continue to hold, and slow/micro taper from there...

Remember the goal is to match medicine intake to where ones healing is at...

Hi Can't,

What you say is so true.  I especially like this "Remember the goal is to match medicine intake to where ones healing is at..."  This quote should be added to the propaganda list.

I hope you are doing better today Can't.

Take good care.  Thank you for your wonderful insights.

Anne  :smitten: :smitten:

Added.  :)--V

SufferingSixtie,

I just wanted to say that I have travelled all over the world while tapering. I never had a problem. I of course held a good bit of time before taking off anywhere.

This tapering and living can be done mutually but only at a rate conducive to allowing that.

Peace & Healing to all!

ATU 🙏🏻

Thanks ATU!  I'm just learning that life has to be lived while tapering.  I was still in that early mindset of "when I get off......"

:smitten:

Here is a quote from one of the original LHSG members:

"Yes, I decided that I would NOT fear long holds, or up doses. These things only helped me. I did not allow myself to sink too far into w/d sxs that I know had potential to frustrate me so that I would give up. If I felt Benzo Flu coming on, I would give it a day, and then I would make a decision to updose for one time, which surprisingly worked for me, numerous times to get me out of sxs. And sometimes, I just went back to previous dose and held longer. Once I cut again AFTER holding longer, I was able to continue w/o the dreaded sxs."

Hikingchik successfully tapered off with minimal symptoms and had an uneventful jump.  Hopefully it will help those who are struggling right now. :)--V

SufferingSixtie,

Peace & Healing to all!

ATU 🙏🏻

Thanks ATU!  I'm just learning that life has to be lived while tapering.  I was still in that early mindset of "when I get off......"

:smitten:

SufferingSixty,

I made that mistake early on as well. In fact the Ashton recommended 10/month was way too much for me. I cut at a rate my body says it can handle and still function for the most part.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ATU 🙏🏻

I just wanted to leave this quote for all this morning, I placed it last night on My Word Thread, think it applies to all of us. Have a good, better day All. :smitten:

"When we are sure that we are on the right road there is no need to plan our journey too far ahead. No need to burden ourselves with doubts and fears as to the obstacles that may bar our progress. We cannot take more than one step at a time."~AU.

Hi Begood,

I love that quote!!  Thank you for sharing it with us.  It certainly does apply to most of us here.

I hope that you are doing well with little to no "blips".  You are so caring and wise.  Thank you for being here for everyone.

Enjoy the day.

Thanks Anne doing well, just blippy at times but I can handle and stay functional, getting there slowly but that is the way of the Turtle. Thanks also to Lynn, Slowly, Anne, SS and others for understanding quote I placed. :)

I just wanted to leave this quote for all this morning, I placed it last night on My Word Thread, think it applies to all of us. Have a good, better day All. :smitten:

"When we are sure that we are on the right road there is no need to plan our journey too far ahead. No need to burden ourselves with doubts and fears as to the obstacles that may bar our progress. We cannot take more than one step at a time."~AU.

Hi Begood,

I love that quote!!  Thank you for sharing it with us.  It certainly does apply to most of us here.

I hope that you are doing well with little to no "blips".  You are so caring and wise.  Thank you for being here for everyone.

Enjoy the day.

Thanks Anne doing well, just blippy at times but I can handle and stay functional, getting there slowly but that is the way of the Turtle. Thanks also to Lynn, Slowly, Anne, SS and others for understanding quote I placed. :)

BTW, the author of the quote?  ~AU??

Where did you find that?

Just curious.

Tongue Twister of the Day. Say three times fast.    :D

"My silly squirrely squirrel uses Swiss wristwatches"

Hi Begood,

Enjoy the day.

Where did you find that?

Just curious.

AU-author unknown. Search web, quotes I want ie hope, love etc put it in and many sites pop up, that is how I get quotes for my Daily Word Thread. I couldnt say your twister fast :D 

I need help....perhaps more help than you all can give me.  I updosed slightly after holding fir a month.  I'm a mess.  I didn't sleep last night and the dizziness is getting to be dangerous.  I don't know what my options are.  I have no life.  You all are holding but are all at much lower levels than I am.i think the Ativan is hurting me to stay on it....yet I'm having trouble getting off it.  I'm wondering if it's becoming paradoxical.  I don't have enough will power to do this.  I'm lost

A very common thought process, not to be dismissive, There is a logic to it that your brain is connecting the suffering to you taking the meds... (short version)

I have followed a few difficult cases through in my short time here, where they try "everything" (except stability, and a long hold) In the end nothing works and they are far too sick to taper, and I mean sick..!!

Time passes, 4,5,6 months, still not able to cut... but starting to feel better... some cut straight away again (with predictable results), some continue to hold, and slow/micro taper from there...

Hi Can't,

What you say is so true.  I especially like this "Remember the goal is to match medicine intake to where ones healing is at..."  This quote should be added to the propaganda list.

V - I just realized that your screen name "Valley UM" is a play on Valium. 

DUH!!    :idiot:

Hi Can't,

V - I just realized that your screen name "Valley UM" is a play on Valium. 

DUH!!    :idiot:

LOL. :laugh:

Hi everyone, first time posting on The Long Hold. Im on a DLMT off k. I couldn't help but notice no one tapering off k here. Mostly V. Are long holds even recommended while tapering k? Maybe another support group for me? Ive been tapering slowly (around 8 to 15% of current dose per month) with a few short holds of a few days mostly. See sig. Just did a 10 day hold. I usually just slow down. Any advice for k?

By the way, this seems to be one of the best groups Ive seen. Thanks GC 

Wise words BG!

Yes wise words.

I have learned that they are true with most things.

I used to worry ahead lots...no point.

I'm kind of learning to not worry about obstacles until they crop up.

Think I'm on the right road with withdrawal and holding - until someone mentions tolerance, which drives me mad  :crazy: because I can't get my head around it.

Have a comfortable healing day everyone :smitten: :smitten:

Sorry Slowly , didn't mean to freak you out with the T word.... You aren't planning a 1-1/2 yr hold are you? With your taper I don't think you hav anything to worry about .  :smitten:

Very wise Cant, thank you ..... A friend of mine write to me yesterday and said she knows a man who had liver cancer and was told he wouldn't make it . He said he had to "make friends " with his meds ......he did make it and making friends with his meds he said made a huge difference .....gonna try it myself .

Hope you will feel better very soon

MiYu

Hi everyone, first time posting on The Long Hold. Im on a DLMT off k. I couldn't help but notice no one tapering off k here. Mostly V. Are long holds even recommended while tapering k? Maybe another support group for me? Ive been tapering slowly (around 8 to 15% of current dose per month) with a few short holds of a few days mostly. See sig. Just did a 10 day hold. I usually just slow down. Any advice for k?

Hi Goodchance and welcome! We do have a few members on K in the group.  I think holding helps if you get in a bad spot IMO regardless of the benzo.  Slowing down is the smart way to go. If you go slow and do a symptom based taper, it allows your body to keep up with your taper.  I believe many here are doing 5% or less a month so 8 to 15% may be too rapid if you're developing intolerable symptoms.  I'm sure others will chime in soon. :)--V

Thank you for your story Anne , I don't think I knew before ......

When you accidentally held fro 1-1/2 yrs , and then started getting symptoms , do you think you were becoming tolerant? It sounds that way.

Wow , these meds are SO unpredictable ! Talk about finding our way through a maze !

MiYu  :smitten:

Hi MiYu,

My husband and I always enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine or a few cocktails after work and on weekends.  I think that the alcohol could have been the culprit.  I do enjoy a cocktail or two now, but I make sure that I do not drink more than once or twice in a week.  Nowadays I will go for weeks without having a drink.  Other times, I might have a cocktail or two a couple of times in a week.  It just depends on what is going on.  I find the alcohol does not cause any problems as long as I do not get into the habit of having 2 or 3 glasses of wine on a daily basis.  The benzos and alcohol work on the same receptors.  I did not know that at the time. The benzos cause more sensitivity when it comes to small amounts of alcohol.

I hope you are feeling better MiYu.  I know you have had a rough time of it for a long time.

Take good care.

Thanks Anne , things continue to be very rough and honestly I don't know what to do at this point. I'm so tired of being sick and housebound for so long . I know I'm not stable on the Valium .... I think I was getting there when I was at 10 mgs , but probably should have held there until I felt strong healthwise l which I didn't . But I was doing better . As soon as I started to taper things got rough , and I never have stabilized really since .

I don't know where to go from  here , I feel quite defeated . I so want to have a break and feel well for even a day. I'm just tired at this point , of trying to be strong and get through it .

I knwo to hold , that at least , but I am so in need of a break that I am thinking of "dose correcting  ". I'm scared to do that too , as all I know of tapering is suffering , And I'm afraid that if I updose I'll just have to go through it all over again .

I can hold , that I can do ..... My patience is wearing very thin though. I wouldn't even mind if I could only taper 1 mg a year if I had a life as I did it . So the question is , how do I achieve that from where I am now ? Somethings gotta give ......

Perhaps I need to try a small dose adjustment , and see what happens ..... I am scared though I can't pretend I'm not ....

With anything else in life when I've gotten to this point I've known what to do , how to make a change, but this isn't like anything else . I'm in the same place Seeking health is , I need to do something that will make a difference . I need to find some clarity and be proactive about something . I know holding is "proactive " , but I haven't yet had a break so even that feels uncertain.

Didn't plan on writing all that , but I could  use some reassurance right now  :'( some help to consider and walk me through it a bit ......if anyone has any input?

MiYu

Hi MiYu,

I am so sorry for all you are going through.  It is a hard decision to make when it comes to a dose correction. I only have experience with Ativan which has a very short half-life compared to valium.  There is a member here called builder.  I believe he was having a very hard time with a taper.  I think (I am not sure now) he up dosed, held and then easily tapered off the rest of his valium after a long hold.  You might want to contact him to find our more details.  I might have the story wrong.

Are you experiencing any windows?  How long have you been holding?

My heart goes out to you.  You will figure this out, but it might take a while.

Anne  :smitten:

Thanks Anne .... No windows 😟 It's been rough for a year now .... I have had "better days" but my nervous system seems so fragile and can't tolerate cuts at the moment . I think I just need to give it time to settle .

My story is a bit long , so won't go into it now . But I brief , I got In a real mess with steroids during perimenopause, had to cold turkey a high dose of them and it really messed up my HPA axis and nervous system , I was a wreck . I believe this is contributing to the difficulty I'm having ... HPA axis issues and now highly sensitive nervous system.

Valley , I'll answer you here too -

I'm on 360 mgs gabapentin, nothing else . I have been on GPN  since around 2008, mostly 300 mgs , fro RLS . While on steroids I had to increase to 900 , but have since come back down . I think I do have adrenal issues , as above with the steroids thing, and they were prescribed for adrenal issues  .

They are also cross tolerant to benzos , so I suspect the CT off them was also something like a CT off benzos .... It was certainly utter hell, I was very very sick , and also in Perimenopause, so perhaps this is also  a bit like trying to come off a benzo for the second time too.

I don't think the GPN is really an issue as long as I don't try and taper it right now .

Sooo , I think my system is just tired and needs a lot of time for healing . I plan now to hold and give my body some time to recouperate, it may need a good long time , I haven't been anything like healthy in quite a few years , and a lot of stress .

Going to have to be patient . I just don't think I'm really ready to taper at all yet , I need to get stronger altogether .

So .... Gotta make friends with mothers little helper and try and accept and be patient with my body .

Love,

MiYu

Wow , is that the actual time that Builder held? 3 years! He's  kind of infamous here and I have read all different lengths of time that he held for! 3 years is the longest I've heard  ;D if that's true then I'm in good shape with a year or two ....

Now to the task of making friends with my little pills .  ::)

MiYu

And welcome Goodchance ... You're in the right place ...... Best group on BB  :)

[glow=red,2,300]"WELCOME GOODCHANCE"[/glow] Hunker down and do a lot of reading. Best to You. :)

And thanks everyone for aLl the great posts these last few pages ! Did I say that already?  :o

About adrenals ..... If anyone can tolerate supplements Pantethine and vit. C are the usual ones recommend ... Also d ribose . There are homeopathics too that can help , you'd have to look them up.

Some people do ok with animal adrenal cortex .....

For myself I find I can tolerate the Pantethine and d ribose , but not vit C .....

Hi Begood,

Enjoy the day.

Where did you find that?

Just curious.

AU-author unknown. Search web, quotes I want ie hope, love etc put it in and many sites pop up, that is how I get quotes for my Daily Word Thread. I couldnt say your twister fast :D

I couldn't either! :D

Hi Begood,

Enjoy the day.

Where did you find that?

Just curious.

I couldn't either! :D

:2funny:

Thanks Everyone, You are all too kind... by far...

I think my words earlier were based on Builders concepts, as many are...

This is not a thread where its easy to skip a few pages... but by the time I catch up my memory is fading...!! -All I know for sure is that Everyone here is very special, and valued...

Strength to all that are not well...

Welcome GoodChance...

I think Holding is sound advice (as needed) for any Drug of Dependance (DOD)..

It was strongly promoted to me by my Drs as we reduced my opiates also...

As Begood suggested, pick a chunk of pages and have a read... -any questions or comments, just ask or share... -all jokes are welcome...

:)

Welcome Goodchance,

This group is great and I'm a relative newby here too.

There was bit about Vitamins and supplements and I wanted to chime in.  I can't take Vitamin C!  Took a mega dose, one day and it was all right (4K ) then took a regular dose the next day (1K)and went into big sxs...  yowza!  made for a rough day but a perfect way to convince me to hold.... ;)

I think my body doesn't like anything at the moment, except osteopathy... now that it likes!

Welcome Goodchance,

This group is great and I'm a relative newby here too.

There was bit about Vitamins and supplements and I wanted to chime in.  I can't take Vitamin C!  Took a mega dose, one day and it was all right (4K ) then took a regular dose the next day (1K)and went into big sxs...  yowza!  made for a rough day but a perfect way to convince me to hold.... ;)

I think my body doesn't like anything at the moment, except osteopathy... now that it likes!

Crazy how sensitive our bodies become to so many things ! No wonder some of the experts say just don't take supplements! Im always  trying things here and there and some seem ok , others definitely not !

Good post cant..... Thanks ! I've been ruminating on this , and I think our brains get caught in "fight or flight" mode and maybe create symptoms all over the body from this ....from going too fast .

holding or dose correcting allows the brain to settle down , for our whole systems to get out of fear mode, and then we can reapproach a slow taper with hopefully less flight or flight triggers i.e. Symtoms that create fight or flight and fight or flight that creates symptoms ... And around and around we go .

I think I stole most of this theory  ::) but I like putting it into my own words  :)

Good post cant..... Thanks ! I've been ruminating on this , and I think our brains get caught in "fight or flight" mode and maybe create symptoms all over the body from this ....from going too fast .

holding or dose correcting allows the brain to settle down , for our whole systems to get out of fear mode, and then we can reapproach a slow taper with hopefully less flight or flight triggers i.e. Symtoms that create fight or flight and fight or flight that creates symptoms ... And around and around we go .

I think I stole most of this theory  ::) but I like putting it into my own words  :)

Yes, thats the psychological side of it, and its strong, the basal instinct that has us at the top of the food chain... Its just not so great when its twisted up and directed at our inner self...

-This is how my psychologist is approaching it... Not "fixing" me, -because its caused by the chemical imballance from tapering... But teaching me to recognise and "survive" the temporary trauma..

-Early days yet... a ways to go...

The physical side/response is trying everything in desperation (fight..??), no mater the logic or evidence to the contrary...  (and why wouldnt we)..

Cut too fast, Hold (a few weeks and feeling worse), small cautious updose (still feeling worse from original cuts), start cutting again (thinking its the meds)... Trips to the ER (rescue doses), Then a big updose (too late for fast results on top of the chaos) -Drs step in, or Detox/psych ward, CT...

Accute Hell, then reinstate at often much higher doses, perhaps without Drs support...

(This is just me putting together a mix n match of a few cases, -not a prediction)

And some find that in amoungst all the chaos, the chopping and changing, the sick and non functional... -That they have actually, unwittingly done a long hold... and are starting to feel a bit better... -They sure havnt saved any time in the process, And a realistic dose correction and hold for stability at the start of the problems may have been a little more pleasant...

But Pls read between the lines, This is only one aspect, there could be many other contributing factors as mentioned in a previous post... -other meds, original SX, etc...

Ummm... I think my main point here is that trying to save time can spiral out of control, -something I have come close to myself...

[88...]