Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

TNTD, here is the low down on the adrenal cocktail. I copied this post from Moodle when I first joined BB.  :)

(Moodle) I second this. It does get better.

I used adrenal cocktail for the surges at night, one cup of fresh orange juice ( not from concentrate ). Then add 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt and 1/4 teaspoon cream or tartar.

HERE IS WHY:

Stress causes the adrenal glands to fire off adrenaline. This gives you a burst of energy to deal with stressful situations. Adrenaline also raises the heart rate, increases respiration, dilates the pupils, slows down digestion and causes muscles to contract. It’s like caffeine on steroids!

So if you are stressed or upset it can be impossible to fall asleep, but why does it always wake you up at 3am?

3am is when your liver regenerates. To do so, it needs glycogen. The problem is that adrenaline causes your cells to use up glycogen. So if you are often stressed, your body may not have enough glycogen for the liver to regenerate at 3am. If your liver cannot get the glycogen it needs, your adrenal glands will compensate by releasing adrenalin, which is why you are wide awake and ready for action, not exactly a state you want to be in at 3am.

WHY IT WORKS

The Adrenal Cocktail is made up of ingredients that replenish vital organs and stabilize glucose levels.

-Fresh squeezed orange juice gives the liver glucose it needs to regenerate.

-Cream of tartar is high in potassium, an element that is essential for the sodium/potassium balance in cells, vital organs (liver), muscles, nerves, and the digestive system.

-Himalayan salt, contains 84 essential minerals and elements found in the human body, helping feed the adrenals and refresh body’s the sodium/potassium pump

I double the salt to 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt to compensate for the low sodium.

Thanks so much Left Behind this is wonderful information.  :smitten::hug:

I wonder how many mg are in a 1/4 tsp? Maybe I'll look at buying the pills as I've tried to use it in various recipes and I have a hard time getting much in the food before the flavor takes over.

Thanks for the info :smitten::hug:

I looked it up. I'm getting about 50mg in 1/4 tsp and it says you need between 500 and 1000mg to get the anti-inflammatory effects! I guess I'm going to have to look at how much the supplements cost!

Carrots are really good for you and contain more good natural sugar than most vegetables - don't think I could manage 2kg though. :)

Just as an afterthought are you turning orange like my friend did? ;):laugh: and I hope you are feeling better from your flu bug.

It's better than eating crap anyway  :thumbsup:

Nope, not orange yet... still green...

Can only stand organic raw foods atm...

The flu is about gone... ty...

Incidently I have been eating oranges too (vit C) which may well have helped...

I got some contriversial B 12 today for a trial...??

Survived a Dr day today no prob... so out for 9 hours...

-a good sign for sure... minimal support meds also...

Be Well

Great :clap:  well done Cant.

Green is good  :thumbsup:  orange was not so great and I've heard that other people have turned orangey after overloading on carrots.

Must say I've never seen anybody  orange so I'm not sure whether I believe it or not  :-\:)

Oranges are yummy :) : and I'm glad your flu is gone  :thumbsup::smitten:

Slowly, I don't think I've ever felt good on any benzo , and Valium seems worse for me than the others ....but I'm on it and don't really want to mess around with another switch now .....I took benzos for trauma and post steroid cold turkey .....Xanax did take the edge off , but I was still really really sick... It was hard fro me to know what was what.....

Ditto MiYu, Nitrazepam made me sleep but made me feel bad during the day and Valium has always just made me feel extremely depressed and have the morning 5am waking surge.

Both have lessened hugely the lower my does has gone, which is why i was in such a rush to dump them but I've realised that rushing doesn't work... :) Turtle training.

The only time I felt sick - and I sympathise with you because I can't bear nausea and sickness - was when I crossed from Nitrazepam to diazepam to start tapering.

That caused my 6 month hold and that was when I had the carb cravings.

It wasn't so much sweet things I craved it was just carbs - bread, potatoes, plain pasta [i know, weird : :crazy:]  but I think I craved blandness to keep the nausea away and also I got  really hungry when the nausea subsided later in the day/evening.

My sugar came from very plain bland biscuits [cookies to you in the US]  again I think to keep nausea at bay but, boy did I binge on them. :-[

Not felt anything like it since, so I blame w/d from Nitrazepam crossing to diazepam.

I was told that it is diazepam with something added [or one doctor said it was something subtracted?]  to make you sleep but whatever the added/subtracted component was it was powerful and, sorry Ashton manual,  but 5mgs Nitraz was in no way "equivalent" to 5mg diazepam/Valium.

OR maybe I did wrong by doing the crossover too quickly as per the Manual, I maybe should have tapered the crossover more - hindsight is great  :)

I get w/ds ramping up every time I make a cut but when they go I'm feeling better the lower my diazepam dose goes so it definitely doesn't agree with me.

Thank you for answering, I'm puzzled and trying to get my head around all the different reactions.

I guess nobody likes them or we wouldn't be trying to get off them but I spoke to someone last week who said he only feels well when he is on valium and wouldn't dream of getting off them so that was why I asked the question on here.

Thanks again  :smitten: you are doing great and I wish you speedy healing.

Thanks Slowly , you also are doing great!

I am absolutely sure I will feel better on a lower dose .... Getting there so slowly is a real drag , but it will happen and I believe things will be easier .

How I miss chocolate digestives ! Mcvities  :) I'm from  England but now Californian .

In my twenties I used to buy a  chocolate roll cake and eat the whole thing in one sitting !

I think I'd go comotose if I did that now !

Good healing for you too ,

MiYu  :smitten:

McVities - yay!!

It was McVities plain 'lite' [low fat]  digestives I was bingeing on during that bad nausea spell.

I was eating a whole packet a day for a while and almost nothing else ..not a very balanced diet lol

I know people who daren't keep their choc digestives in the house for fear of eating the whole pack in a day  :laugh:

Yes I remember the yummy chocolate rolls - I think they still make them.

Stay well  :smitten: :smitten:

I had to get a refill of my xanax and they had me make a appointment with my Physician to discuss how things were going. He has not had any problem with me taking my time with my taper for which I told him I was extremely grateful. I was curious if he had any other patients which were tapering off xanax. I was surprised when he said no one in their clinic prescribed them anymore. Not sure what they do with people now. I am the only patient there that is still on xanax. I should of asked about other benzos.

I got really nervous and anxious about the appointment.  Feeling a little better now that it is over.

Anyways, I found that interesting. There seems to be a recognition now that benzos should have a very limited use.

Hope everyone is feeling OK.    :smitten:

Best Wishes to everyone.

My doctor told me that not one of his patients has ever come off nor wanted to come off of benzos... just me, so maybe that's the case with your doctor too? I'm pretty sure he still prescribes them though.  :)--V

Yes that's my experience Valley.

I know a few people on Valium and many on various sleeping tablets and nobody [except me] wants to come off them so they must make most people feel better, they just weren't right for me, or for you.

Over here the doctors are now not wanting to prescribe them, I think because of all the negative publicity, and alot of people are being made to stop them, often CT.

VERY Well Done  :thumbsup: and Congrats on cutting 75% :clap: :clap: :yippee:

Brilliant.

Hope you are feeling well.

Did you have any troublesome symptoms during your last cut?

Was it a micro taper?

Sorry I'm soo incurable nosy :laugh::-[

I had to get a refill of my xanax and they had me make a appointment with my Physician to discuss how things were going. He has not had any problem with me taking my time with my taper for which I told him I was extremely grateful. I was curious if he had any other patients which were tapering off xanax. I was surprised when he said no one in their clinic prescribed them anymore. Not sure what they do with people now. I am the only patient there that is still on xanax. I should of asked about other benzos.

I got really nervous and anxious about the appointment.  Feeling a little better now that it is over.

Anyways, I found that interesting. There seems to be a recognition now that benzos should have a very limited use.

Best Wishes to everyone.

My doctor told me that not one of his patients has ever come off nor wanted to come off of benzos... just me, so maybe that's the case with your doctor too? I'm pretty sure he still prescribes them though.  :)--V

I don't know. He said that they as a group decided they will no longer prescribe xanax at all. He didn't say when it changed, but what I suspect is that they have patients that are on benzos, but they get them from somewhere else, like a psychiatrist  or something.

Good god,That statement from your doctor is pretty scary actually. I just hope I can persevere and eventually get off these. From the discussion I had with my doctor, he was well aware of the difficulty of getting off benzos. He offered me support drugs if I needed them. Of course I told him I wouldn't need any at least for now. I hope I can get off this without having to resort to taking another drug to support me getting off the xanax.  he agreed that would be best if I can do it.

I should mention my "doctor" is a PA. My original Doctor who first prescribed xanax for me is retired from family practice. He works strictly in the ER now.

Best Wishes.

Still Holding      :thumbsup:

I think because of new rules by States about prescribed drugs, like opiates and yes Benzo's Patients are going to to have a bit more to go through to get their medications. Not long ago I had to sign a Contact that I would not sell or take more than prescribed and that if I committed a crime that they would not prescribe the Valium anymore. Things are changing and States are bearing down on the Doctors and it is easier for them to just cut off patients. Free would know more about this. Free pls answer when you see this.

This is happening over here now as well with benzos, which is why I am in such a rush to get off them.

At my practice which has just had lots of new younger doctors after the others retired, they are making people go every week and get 7 tablets at a time.

They won't prescribe any more, which is good but awkward for those still on them because the doctors aren't concerned about patients withdrawing too quickly, they just want you off.

My prescription stops this month because I was told to halve them for 2 weeks  and then halve them again for a month and then stop so end of August I'm officially off or they won't see me for any reason at the practice any more.

Which is why I'm dependent on my 10mg tablets which I have quite a good stash of, luckily, or I would be CT next month instead of doing an extra month hold.

I'm very nervous of not going quickly enough because I won't have any when these run out.

All the practices within my reach are doing the same thing but they will refer you to a psychiatrist who may prescribe them  :-\

Best Wishes to everyone.

I don't know. He said that they as a group decided they will no longer prescribe xanax at all. He didn't say when it changed, but what I suspect is that they have patients that are on benzos, but they get them from somewhere else, like a psychiatrist  or something.

Good god,That statement from your doctor is pretty scary actually. I just hope I can persevere and eventually get off these. From the discussion I had with my doctor, he was well aware of the difficulty of getting off benzos. He offered me support drugs if I needed them. Of course I told him I wouldn't need any at least for now. I hope I can get off this without having to resort to taking another drug to support me getting off the xanax.  he agreed that would be best if I can do it.

I should mention my "doctor" is a PA. My original Doctor who first prescribed xanax for me is retired from family practice. He works strictly in the ER now.

Best Wishes.

I think because of new rules by States about prescribed drugs, like opiates and yes Benzo's Patients are going to to have a bit more to go through to get their medications. Not long ago I had to sign a Contact that I would not sell or take more than prescribed and that if I committed a crime that they would not prescribe the Valium anymore. Things are changing and States are bearing down on the Doctors and it is easier for them to just cut off patients. Free would know more about this. Free pls answer when you see this.

This is happening over here now as well with benzos, which is why I am in such a rush to get off them.

At my practice which has just had lots of new younger doctors after the others retired, they are making people go every week and get 7 tablets at a time.

They won't prescribe any more, which is good but awkward for those still on them because the doctors aren't concerned about patients withdrawing too quickly, they just want you off.

My prescription stops this month because I was told to halve them for 2 weeks  and then halve them again for a month and then stop so end of August I'm officially off or they won't see me for any reason at the practice any more.

Which is why I'm dependent on my 10mg tablets which I have quite a good stash of, luckily, or I would be CT next month instead of doing an extra month hold.

I'm very nervous of not going quickly enough because I won't have any when these run out.

All the practices within my reach are doing the same thing but they will refer you to a psychiatrist who may prescribe them  :-\

Rationing out pills at 7 per patient is obscene and demeaning!!. The reason I wanted to get off of Valium, I had a fear that the FDA would say that Valium was not going to be on Market anymore and that put the fear of God in me to get off, but I was not too far off, now we have the Government here insisting that the Doctors have us sign Contracts. Honestly it makes my blood boil, but I have a closet full of Valium, I do not trust that things will stay the same, we must be vigilant to keep ourselves safe whilst getting off of these crummy mind distorting Pills... :tickedoff:

Last year I asked my family doctor if any of her patients were having trouble getting off benzos.  She said she does not prescribe them but knew of people having a hard time.  She was surprised at my difficulty and told me it was probably the c/t from prozac causing all the issues.  My pdoc thinks I should be on for life and said prozac causes no wd.  I haven't talked to pdoc in months but plan to tell him I'm off next time he drags me in there.  I've only seen him 5 times in the 2.5yrs I was tapering.  He said that all my wd was my anxiety returning(!).

Now...for an Entenmann's sweet roll... :crazy: :crazy:

p.s. I stashed too and ended up with a 2-3yr supply sitting around.

Sorry, missed some posts...

But Hope sveryone is surviving ok...

Talking to my Dr yesterday... They now have to notify the Dept Transport of any meds that may affect driving... -a very nasty way to do it for someone with no public transport...

Last year I asked my family doctor if any of her patients were having trouble getting off benzos.  She said she does not prescribe them but knew of people having a hard time.  She was surprised at my difficulty and told me it was probably the c/t from prozac causing all the issues.  My pdoc thinks I should be on for life and said prozac causes no wd.  I haven't talked to pdoc in months but plan to tell him I'm off next time he drags me in there.  I've only seen him 5 times in the 2.5yrs I was tapering.  He said that all my wd was my anxiety returning(!).

Now...for an Entenmann's sweet roll... :crazy: :crazy:

p.s. I stashed too and ended up with a 2-3yr supply sitting around.

Yes my doctor thinks w/ds are imaginary  ::)

I have probably enough for 2 years too, it's just that most of them are 10mgs but I've got some 5mgs and 2mgs as well.

I'm afraid I got them at Christmas when visiting a friend in Singapore who is an expat there.

Her doctor sold them too me as they don't seem to have restrictions there - yet.

Wish I had thought to get more 2mgs.

Talking to my Dr yesterday... They now have to notify the Dept Transport of any meds that may affect driving... -a very nasty way to do it for someone with no public transport...

Yes they do that here.

An elderly friend of my sister in law in Scotland had her driving license taken from her because she takes diabetes medicine, injects it I think.

She felt dizzy but pulled into a layby off the road and waited till she felt ok before driving but the police said it was the diabetes so her license is gone.

Bit stuck in the Highlands without a driving license.

Hope you are well and still green, Cant  ;)

Best Wishes to everyone.

Best Wishes.

Rationing out pills at 7 per patient is obscene and demeaning!!. The reason I wanted to get off of Valium, I had a fear that the FDA would say that Valium was not going to be on Market anymore and that put the fear of God in me to get off, but I was not too far off, now we have the Government here insisting that the Doctors have us sign Contracts. Honestly it makes my blood boil, but I have a closet full of Valium, I do not trust that things will stay the same, we must be vigilant to keep ourselves safe whilst getting off of these crummy mind distorting Pills... :tickedoff:

Yes it was a driving factor in me getting off them as well, although I wanted to anyway because I wasn't feeling well on them.

I hate being pushed around by doctors.

I think my doctor thinks I'm a bolshie difficult patient  :laugh:

Mine has given me a month diazepam at a time, which was fine, but no more from this month's which I've just collected.

I didn't fancy having to go for 7 tablets every week anyway.

Yes they do that here.

An elderly friend of my sister in law in Scotland had her driving license taken from her because she takes diabetes medicine, injects it I think.

She felt dizzy but pulled into a layby off the road and waited till she felt ok before driving but the police said it was the diabetes so her license is gone.

Thanks, am doing ok again...

It was at Drs discretion, but not now...  -If it were done realisticly, I would be fine with it... But as it stands, It would force me to pull the race bike out of the shed...

-a dominoes effect...

Is silly cos I was tested a few years ago while on high oxy doses, because of the spinal injuries... not a problem... (highest score in risk assessment)

-I struggle with these types of rules... Black sheep type thing...

Yes they do that here.

Thanks, am doing ok again...

It was at Drs discretion, but not now...  -If it were done realisticly, I would be fine with it... But as it stands, It would force me to pull the race bike out of the shed...

-a dominoes effect...

Is silly cos I was tested a few years ago while on high oxy doses, because of the spinal injuries... not a problem... (highest score in risk assessment)

-I struggle with these types of rules... Black sheep type thing...

Yes I agree.

They do just seem to work to a one-size-fits-all instead of assessing people individually.

I have the same concerns about getting cut off by the government, but I think we who are already tapering are going to make it before any new rules come along. The media seems to still be focused on the opioid problem. In our state, the government is very focused on opioids and, happily, is passing bills to help people who are addicted. Unhappily, their system of funding detox and rehab would be a disaster for us.

I feel very sorry for the people who are still being put on benzos, who aren't tapering, if this turns into what happened with the opioids.

I guess I am lucky that all I get is my name checked against a database to make sure I'm not doctor shopping. No rationing. As long as I can keep my doctor, I should get enough scripts to get me off. But I will admit, concerns about being cut off for any reason is a motive to keep me sloth-tapering all the way to the end. All the way to the end! :thumbsup:

Gard :)

Best Wishes to everyone.

Yes that's my experience Valley.

I know a few people on Valium and many on various sleeping tablets and nobody [except me] wants to come off them so they must make most people feel better, they just weren't right for me, or for you.

Over here the doctors are now not wanting to prescribe them, I think because of all the negative publicity, and alot of people are being made to stop them, often CT.

VERY Well Done  :thumbsup: and Congrats on cutting 75% :clap: :clap: :yippee:

Brilliant.

Hope you are feeling well.

Did you have any troublesome symptoms during your last cut?

Was it a micro taper?

Sorry I'm soo incurable nosy :laugh::-[

Hi Slowly.  I've been microtapering non stop from about 8mg.  I get some sxs but nothing real major.  I am currently experiencing some muscle pain from my original condition and hope it subsides when I'm able to get off.  Hope you're doing well! :)--V

Thank you Valley.

I will micro taper as well from Sept 11th - just over a month now to hold  :) and I feel ready to go.

I hope your muscle pain goes and glad you didn't get any really bad symptoms from the taper.

Good luck and congratulations on your progress  :thumbsup:

Am in the wilds of the Scottish Highlands next week so if i don't get vertigo from looking down I'm ok :laugh:

I have the same concerns about getting cut off by the government, but I think we who are already tapering are going to make it before any new rules come along. The media seems to still be focused on the opioid problem. In our state, the government is very focused on opioids and, happily, is passing bills to help people who are addicted. Unhappily, their system of funding detox and rehab would be a disaster for us.

I feel very sorry for the people who are still being put on benzos, who aren't tapering, if this turns into what happened with the opioids.

I guess I am lucky that all I get is my name checked against a database to make sure I'm not doctor shopping. No rationing. As long as I can keep my doctor, I should get enough scripts to get me off. But I will admit, concerns about being cut off for any reason is a motive to keep me sloth-tapering all the way to the end. All the way to the end! :thumbsup:

Gard :)

Yes it's a worry for alot of people,Gard.

We can't doctor shop in the UK - NHS, no pay, no say. :)

We can change doctors but our records go with us and anyway all the ones anywhere near me have the same policy.

I should manage to Sloth taper to the end I hope

Get on with that scrapbook  :laugh::smitten:

Changing the subject here...I am very distressed reading wd support and seeing so many doing what I consider (too) fast tapers and suffering greatly.  I then see talk of not going slow because it will only lengthen the misery.  That it's best to get off and let the healing start.  Holds of 6wks (or less!) not "working" and thoughts that the taper should resume (or accelerate) as nothing works.  I really don't feel like interjecting.  In one case I had already posted comments to at least 2 of the people about the speed of their taper.  They are bemoaning no one responding to their posts.  I don't want to seem like a long hold/slow taper zealot.  And, of course, holds don't help every single person.  Still...it's hard to ignore this stuff when I see it.  I guess it's time to step away for awhile.  Do you folks feel the same when you read some of these posts?  It seems that they attract only the like-minded.

Changing the subject here...I am very distressed reading wd support and seeing so many doing what I consider (too) fast tapers and suffering greatly.  I then see talk of not going slow because it will only lengthen the misery.  That it's best to get off and let the healing start.  Holds of 6wks (or less!) not "working" and thoughts that the taper should resume (or accelerate) as nothing works.  I really don't feel like interjecting.  In one case I had already posted comments to at least 2 of the people about the speed of their taper.  They are bemoaning no one responding to their posts.  I don't want to seem like a long hold/slow taper zealot.  And, of course, holds don't help every single person.  Still...it's hard to ignore this stuff when I see it.  I guess it's time to step away for awhile.  Do you folks feel the same when you read some of these posts?  It seems that they attract only the like-minded.

Yes Lynn I feel the same way, if I do post I am ignored or the thread goes dark, no more responses, I do not understand struggling when a good hold and allowing the Brain to catch up can make all the difference in the World. "So I guess I will stay down in the basement with all the cats for now" :D I hate to say this but it seems the more one suffers the bigger the badge..sad there are no rewards big enough for me to go back to hell on earth. :tickedoff:

I am interested in this last subject....a few days ago I asked how long to hold....if people thought I was going too fast.... I never got an answer from this group.  I know there us no recipe for any of this.....just asking

[12...]