Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

My theory about the intake of Carbs, Our Brain is comprised of Glucose to keep it going, and when we are going through wd things get wonky up there and it needs more Carbs to sustain itself...that is just what I think. and those who may suffer more are deleting too much from their diet. :)

Agree on the brain needing glucose during wd.  I read an article where benzo wd was compared to traumatic brain injury (due to both having a huge release of glutamate).  It was stated that brain injury patients are transfused huge amounts of glucose/fructose as it inhibits release of glutamate or processesit(?).  This is one of the reasons that I think those who advise limiting sugar/carbs during wd are dead wrong.

I think my craving was my brain requiring it.

Hmm , so interesting... I've lost about 8 lbs , maybe that's my problem , I'm not eating enough ! I've been the same weight since I was 16, then when I was on the steroids I put on 20lbs , as soon as I stopped the weight just dropped off again . Since this taper I never know what to eat , and rarely feel hungry , I actually crave salty foods more . I feel like I just eat because I have to .

I tried the keto diet , ugh , no way could I handle all that fat.

So now I like corn chips to snack on and nut butter sandwiches are good  :) but I'm loosing weight and I'm barely excercising .... Think I'll try more carbs ....

:)

MiYu, sometimes the smallest changes can bring good results, all I know that is that Our Brain will ask for what it needs, I would rather feed it before it turns on me... ;D

You guys are so great. Thank you so much BeGood, V, and Gard. Gard, you already made me laugh :) I'm sure you're right and my daughter will be fine, and my husband on his return trip on Friday. The stress of my family traveling has always caused anxiety for me. I think being extra sensitive to it now just makes everything worse.

I've been having 1 tsp of raw honey and MCT oil at bedtime to help me sleep. I have been sleeping more deeply but I was wondering if it might be the cause of the early morning symptoms coming back. I eat paleo so sandwhiches aren't on my menu &

OJ is way to many carbs for me. That would send my anxiety through the roof. Should I stick with the honey and MCT oil or try something else or maybe go back to doing nothing before bed which is what I was doing. No food for three hours before bed. I think I may try that tonight and see if it makes any difference. Thank you for the wonderful suggestion though.

This group is so amazing.

Hugs and healing everyone,

T

HI T ,

I too am getting the horrible morning cortisol surges, starting sometimes around 4 am , and then several after that .... They really are awful! I do eat a nut butter sandwich before I go to bed , I don't know if it helps , I also can't drink OJ , or tolerate any citrus ... I wonder if some vit C would help along with the sandwich.......

One thing that does help me , but only after the fact , is I have some phosphatydylserine...Jarrow formulas , called PS100. It helps regulate cortisol . It calms me down right away if I open the gelcap and squeeze out the contents straight into my mouth . I only do this if it's an early cortisol surge , otherwise it makes me too tired , ( more tired than I already feel!) .

They say you can take it at bedtime too , I haven't tried that and not sure how it works fro early morning surges .

I know mine will pass with holding as I've had them before and they did stop . Hope yours do soon !

:smitten: I hope all goes well with the wedding too.

MiYu  :smitten:

Vitamin C helped me with my am cortisol surges, along with the Adrenal Cocktail. I take 4-8 mgs a day in divided doses (pure ascorbic acid in pill form, no fillers).

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200304/vitamin-c-stress-buster

Peace and healing to All.  :)

Just a question for anyone who feels like answering but don't any of you answer if you don't want to.

Did the benzos you were taking - Xanax, Valium, Klonopin  etc - do you good and make you feel better while you were on them?

I'm just curious.

I know some of you have had real physical issues like Cant but I mean if you went on benzos for anxiety/insomnia and things like that did they help?

I'm just musing but I think the experience of diazepam has been all negative for me even before withdrawal started.

Depression, weight gain and emotional numbness seems an odd way of helping to deal with losing my parents.

Interested to know other peoples' thoughts.

Slowly, I don't think I've ever felt good on any benzo , and Valium seems worse for me than the others ....but I'm on it and don't really want to mess around with another switch now .....I took benzos for trauma and post steroid cold turkey .....Xanax did take the edge off , but I was still really really sick... It was hard fro me to know what was what.....

Ditto MiYu, Nitrazepam made me sleep but made me feel bad during the day and Valium has always just made me feel extremely depressed and have the morning 5am waking surge.

Both have lessened hugely the lower my does has gone, which is why i was in such a rush to dump them but I've realised that rushing doesn't work... :) Turtle training.

The only time I felt sick - and I sympathise with you because I can't bear nausea and sickness - was when I crossed from Nitrazepam to diazepam to start tapering.

That caused my 6 month hold and that was when I had the carb cravings.

It wasn't so much sweet things I craved it was just carbs - bread, potatoes, plain pasta [i know, weird : :crazy:]  but I think I craved blandness to keep the nausea away and also I got  really hungry when the nausea subsided later in the day/evening.

My sugar came from very plain bland biscuits [cookies to you in the US]  again I think to keep nausea at bay but, boy did I binge on them. :-[

Not felt anything like it since, so I blame w/d from Nitrazepam crossing to diazepam.

I was told that it is diazepam with something added [or one doctor said it was something subtracted?]  to make you sleep but whatever the added/subtracted component was it was powerful and, sorry Ashton manual,  but 5mgs Nitraz was in no way "equivalent" to 5mg diazepam/Valium.

OR maybe I did wrong by doing the crossover too quickly as per the Manual, I maybe should have tapered the crossover more - hindsight is great  :)

I get w/ds ramping up every time I make a cut but when they go I'm feeling better the lower my diazepam dose goes so it definitely doesn't agree with me.

Thank you for answering, I'm puzzled and trying to get my head around all the different reactions.

I guess nobody likes them or we wouldn't be trying to get off them but I spoke to someone last week who said he only feels well when he is on valium and wouldn't dream of getting off them so that was why I asked the question on here.

Thanks again  :smitten: you are doing great and I wish you speedy healing.

Hi All ... I wanted to concur with those that talk about weight gain and sugar.. towards the end of my taper I put on weight . I literally craved sugary things .. chocolate etc.. it was awful and seemed to be more in the evening as others have said ..

Slowly these cravings are returning to normal ... I used to despaire when I read of people saying cut out sugar .. the more I did that the worse I felt !

I agree with you about so many cutting out sugar, simple carbs. I have a Friend that would drink a cup of Hot Chocolate each morning at work, he would be anxious and one morning really feeling badly went to Coffee machine and decided to have a cup of Hot Chocolate, he felt better right away he continued drinking it each morning. We may be starving our Brain of the Glucose it needs,  I know some get ramped up on sugar, but I feel that exclusion is not good. v

Me too  :thumbsup:

At the worst of my wd I always felt better after a big bowl of ice cream. :thumbsup:  I often had no appetite for anything else (and everything else tasted like cardboard).  I remember when I was losing so much weight and couldn't eat anything and had a craving for french toast w/butter and syrup.  I ate that every day for weeks!

Hi All ... I wanted to concur with those that talk about weight gain and sugar.. towards the end of my taper I put on weight . I literally craved sugary things .. chocolate etc.. it was awful and seemed to be more in the evening as others have said ..

Slowly these cravings are returning to normal ... I used to despaire when I read of people saying cut out sugar .. the more I did that the worse I felt !

I agree with you about so many cutting out sugar, simple carbs. I have a Friend that would drink a cup of Hot Chocolate each morning at work, he would be anxious and one morning really feeling badly went to Coffee machine and decided to have a cup of Hot Chocolate, he felt better right away he continued drinking it each morning. We may be starving our Brain of the Glucose it needs,  I know some get ramped up on sugar, but I feel that exclusion is not good. v

Tis tru 4 me too... and not just this taper... my brain screams for sugar through the night...

To go back... I think MiYu started the carrot discussion??

Was a way to stop eating crap through the night and good fibre stuff for my GI...

-down to about 2kg week now, but have lost that crazy NEED to eat till I exploded...

Hope i hit the cant eat phase for a while...

Carrots are really good for you and contain more good natural sugar than most vegetables - don't think I could manage 2kg though. :)

Just as an afterthought are you turning orange like my friend did? ;):laugh: and I hope you are feeling better from your flu bug.

It's better than eating crap anyway  :thumbsup:

At the worst of my wd I always felt better after a big bowl of ice cream. :thumbsup:  I often had no appetite for anything else (and everything else tasted like cardboard).  I remember when I was losing so much weight and couldn't eat anything and had a craving for french toast w/butter and syrup.  I ate that every day for weeks!

Toast with butter is my go-to comfort food.

When I had all the nausea I ate lots of toast in the evening. :thumbsup:

Toast is good for nausea.  I had years and years of nausea on the benzos and psych meds.  It was the worst.  I would often lose 10 or 15lbs at a time.  Nothing would touch it - not even compazine.  Unfortunately, I discovered a few glasses of wine and it would disappear.  This lead to many years of way too much wine. :(

Toast is good for nausea.  I had years and years of nausea on the benzos and psych meds.  It was the worst.  I would often lose 10 or 15lbs at a time.  Nothing would touch it - not even compazine.  Unfortunately, I discovered a few glasses of wine and it would disappear.  This lead to many years of way too much wine. :(

Aaw  :hug:  hey if it works  :thumbsup:

I'm half french so need no encouragement to drink wine but never tried it for nausea. 8)

The only two things which helped my nausea and sickness were toast and Lucozade and I was encouraged to have both during pregnancy so went back to it with my benzo nausea.

They still work but my neighbour who is a nurse and midwife tells me that Lucozade just glucose and fizzy water and is very disapproving, though that maybe because she says its a waste of money.

It works though and like you I find nausea the worst thing, even worse than vertigo which is nothing in comparison.

PS So glad you are doing well now that you are off, but what is lamic?

lamic is lamictal, a mood stabilizer.  I ran out of room for letters in my signature!  I've been taking this for a very long time and when my depression/anxiety/agoraphobia left on the taper I didn't dare stop the lamictal.  I can't face any more depression! :'(

lamic is lamictal, a mood stabilizer.  I ran out of room for letters in my signature!  I've been taking this for a very long time and when my depression/anxiety/agoraphobia left on the taper I didn't dare stop the lamictal.  I can't face any more depression! :'(

You still doing well post jump, lynn? Hope so! :smitten:

I'm just doing great gard!  Fantastic!

:yippee:

I don't blame you,  :hug:it's horrible being depressed and very debilitating.

I just didn't recognise the shortened name  :)

:yippee:

I concur  :laugh::clap::yippee::smitten:

hope you are well too Gard  :smitten:

How's the scrapbook?

I had to get a refill of my xanax and they had me make a appointment with my Physician to discuss how things were going. He has not had any problem with me taking my time with my taper for which I told him I was extremely grateful. I was curious if he had any other patients which were tapering off xanax. I was surprised when he said no one in their clinic prescribed them anymore. Not sure what they do with people now. I am the only patient there that is still on xanax. I should of asked about other benzos.

I got really nervous and anxious about the appointment.  Feeling a little better now that it is over.

Anyways, I found that interesting. There seems to be a recognition now that benzos should have a very limited use.

Hope everyone is feeling OK.    :smitten:

Best Wishes to everyone.

Tis tru 4 me too... and not just this taper... my brain screams for sugar through the night...

To go back... I think MiYu started the carrot discussion??

Was a way to stop eating crap through the night and good fibre stuff for my GI...

-down to about 2kg week now, but have lost that crazy NEED to eat till I exploded...

Hope i hit the cant eat phase for a while...

Carrots are really good for you and contain more good natural sugar than most vegetables - don't think I could manage 2kg though. :)

Just as an afterthought are you turning orange like my friend did? ;):laugh: and I hope you are feeling better from your flu bug.

It's better than eating crap anyway  :thumbsup:

Nope, not orange yet... still green...

Can only stand organic raw foods atm...

The flu is about gone... ty...

Incidently I have been eating oranges too (vit C) which may well have helped...

I got some contriversial B 12 today for a trial...??

Survived a Dr day today no prob... so out for 9 hours...

-a good sign for sure... minimal support meds also...

Be Well

I had to get a refill of my xanax and they had me make a appointment with my Physician to discuss how things were going. He has not had any problem with me taking my time with my taper for which I told him I was extremely grateful. I was curious if he had any other patients which were tapering off xanax. I was surprised when he said no one in their clinic prescribed them anymore. Not sure what they do with people now. I am the only patient there that is still on xanax. I should of asked about other benzos.

I got really nervous and anxious about the appointment.  Feeling a little better now that it is over.

Anyways, I found that interesting. There seems to be a recognition now that benzos should have a very limited use.

Best Wishes to everyone.

That sounds good  :):smitten:

Don't blame you for being nervous, I would be too but glad it went ok  :thumbsup:  :clap:

Best Wishes to everyone.

My doctor told me that not one of his patients has ever come off nor wanted to come off of benzos... just me, so maybe that's the case with your doctor too? I'm pretty sure he still prescribes them though.  :)--V

[16...]