Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

I was put on valium for muscle spasms caused by a cyst in the central canal of my spinal cord.  I should have known immediately that valium was not for me.  I had a true paradoxical reaction to it in that it made me hyper rather than sedated.  I was hyper for a couple of years and then things went down hill and I started having all kinds of health issues which were benzo (and opiate) related.  After my life started to crater, I connected the dots by doing the research and knew I had to get off the drugs in spite of the pain.  I've found the pain to be much less since getting off opiates and tapering the valium.  I wish I could go back in time to the day when a college intern sat in on one of my appointments and said she had just studied my condition and I would need valium and oxycodone.  My doctor listened as it is rare (syringomyelia) and he had never heard of it before let alone treated it lol. That's it in a nutshell.  :)--V

Oh dear, V! Didn't know we had spinal cysts in common. (Or did I and space it out?) Very glad to hear you're doing better. Me, too. :thumbsup: Mine are lower and caused by leakage of spinal fluid into the nerve roots. Wish we just had chickens in common. Oh, that's right, I don't have chickens. Landlord says no! :'(

But I do have virtual [glow=red,2,300]Cookie[/glow] ;D!

http://i.imgur.com/hiO2vTK.gif

I'm sorry you have to deal with the spinal stuff too gard.

You know... chickens can be disguised to fool your landlord....

chicken_disguise_250x250.png?itok=NIzia8Nx

Hi guys,

It's amazing to me how much goes on in such a short amount of time. This group is so active. I love it.

Thanks for explaining the cortisol issue since I had gone to bed for the night. I didn't have my honey and MCT oil and the cortisol surges weren't as bad this morning. When I CT'd off the AD I couldn't exercise at all, not even walk, or it would send my symptoms soaring. I've gotten to the point of being able to walk now at least. I also started to gain weight once I started to stabilize and have gained about 20 lbs. Of course I'm still taking quite a bit of "downers" so I suppose that could be contributing to the weight gain.  :'(

Someone asked if the meds helped when we first started taking them. I took them for panic attacks and they definitely helped at first but it only took about a month and I was having interdose withdrawal and had to increase my dose from every three days to taking it daily. The doctor said it was because I needed it for my panic but I know now what was really happening. The recommendations are for doctors to prescribe benzo's for only two to four weeks and no longer. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7525193  They talk about how benzo's are only effective in the short term in the book Anatomy of an Epedemic by Robert Whitaker. Knowing what I know now I don't know why a doctor would prescribe them long term for anything.

That peanut butter sandwhich looks a lot better than the carrots!! :o  I use cashew butter since I have allergy issues with both almonds and peanuts. Sigh, I remember when I would eat peanut butter and have no problems with it. So yummy.  :smitten:

I also love the thread on SA about slow tapers and have re-read it often and shared it with my husband as well. The slowness of slow tapers is what it's called, I think. Gives me hope since I'm looking at probably taking just as many years as Rhi mentions in the thread. Especially since I'm dealing with the CT from the AD and that has thrown everything into a tizzy. Just when I think I'm getting better from that I run into an unfriendly wave. I try to surf but it can be hard. Acceptance, as someone else mentions, seems to have to be relearned every time the w/d sxs hit again. We've done it before and we can do it again until we slide right off these meds, just like Lynn did.

Hugs,

T

Hi all

I have a question...

I had to start tapering because of tolerance....

So my question is..... if the gaba receptors are downregulated or damaged or whatever. And the glutamate is overtaking your system.  How do long holds help???

Just came from my doctor and he's not knowing how to help me.... I've been told my cuts are too big for the length of time I've been on this drug .... I've been told to hold.... I've been told to get the heck off.... cause if the dizziness... I've been told not to cut 2 benzos at once..

I must say I'm so confused. The confusion is only fueling my utter panic and probably making the dizziness worse.

You've been helpful to me. Could someone chime in? 

Many thanks

Oh dear, V! Didn't know we had spinal cysts in common. (Or did I and space it out?) Very glad to hear you're doing better. Me, too. :thumbsup: Mine are lower and caused by leakage of spinal fluid into the nerve roots. Wish we just had chickens in common. Oh, that's right, I don't have chickens. Landlord says no! :'(

Oh boy! I am going to start building my coop! :D

Hi guys,

It's amazing to me how much goes on in such a short amount of time. This group is so active. I love it.

Thanks for explaining the cortisol issue since I had gone to bed for the night. I didn't have my honey and MCT oil and the cortisol surges weren't as bad this morning. When I CT'd off the AD I couldn't exercise at all, not even walk, or it would send my symptoms soaring. I've gotten to the point of being able to walk now at least. I also started to gain weight once I started to stabilize and have gained about 20 lbs. Of course I'm still taking quite a bit of "downers" so I suppose that could be contributing to the weight gain.  :'(

Someone asked if the meds helped when we first started taking them. I took them for panic attacks and they definitely helped at first but it only took about a month and I was having interdose withdrawal and had to increase my dose from every three days to taking it daily. The doctor said it was because I needed it for my panic but I know now what was really happening. The recommendations are for doctors to prescribe benzo's for only two to four weeks and no longer. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7525193  They talk about how benzo's are only effective in the short term in the book Anatomy of an Epedemic by Robert Whitaker. Knowing what I know now I don't know why a doctor would prescribe them long term for anything.

That peanut butter sandwhich looks a lot better than the carrots!! :o  I use cashew butter since I have allergy issues with both almonds and peanuts. Sigh, I remember when I would eat peanut butter and have no problems with it. So yummy.  :smitten:

I also love the thread on SA about slow tapers and have re-read it often and shared it with my husband as well. The slowness of slow tapers is what it's called, I think. Gives me hope since I'm looking at probably taking just as many years as Rhi mentions in the thread. Especially since I'm dealing with the CT from the AD and that has thrown everything into a tizzy. Just when I think I'm getting better from that I run into an unfriendly wave. I try to surf but it can be hard. Acceptance, as someone else mentions, seems to have to be relearned every time the w/d sxs hit again. We've done it before and we can do it again until we slide right off these meds, just like Lynn did.

Hugs,

T

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi all

I have a question...

So my question is..... if the gaba receptors are downregulated or damaged or whatever. And the glutamate is overtaking your system.  How do long holds help???

Just came from my doctor and he's not knowing how to help me.... I've been told my cuts are too big for the length of time I've been on this drug .... I've been told to hold.... I've been told to get the heck off.... cause if the dizziness... I've been told not to cut 2 benzos at once..

I must say I'm so confused. The confusion is only fueling my utter panic and probably making the dizziness worse.

Many thanks

Healing, I confess, I don't understand the tolerance debate. It is a forever-debate. I don't have experience with it, so will wait for someone else on that.

Your worrying is a normal part of withdrawal. It may help to tell yourself that worrying is normal benzo stuff, just accept that you are going to worry, and then occupy your brain with something else.

"I'm worrying. It's normal." Then distract. (Again and again until it becomes automatic.)

I do have experience with being on 2 benzos at the same time. The vast majority of people say pick one drug to taper at a time. That's what I did. If you are on a fast benzo and a slow benzo, it would make sense to hold the slow benzo and taper the fast benzo. Ashton switched all her patients over to slow benzos to taper them. My doctor switched me part way to Librium (very similar to Valium) as I tapered away the Xanax and was very pleased when I was able to get completely off of my Xanax. He moved out of the area, but he got me off the Xanax before he moved and told me to be encouraged that I was able to do that. I was not happy at the time because I was still on L, but now I realize he was right. I'm very glad to be off of the Xanax.

My next doctor told me to hold to get stable, which I did. Now I am tapering the Librium. It's a journey. A long one. But each day I am one day closer to freedom. You are, too!

Gard :)

I've been holding for almost a year now. I hope that's okay. As I said in my buddy blog, I'm struggling with the move to our new house and the passing of our last cat (3rd cat that passed this year on top of my mom). I've held because there was never a good time to start up again. Once I feel like my home is a home I guess I start again.

I've been holding for almost a year now. I hope that's okay. As I said in my buddy blog, I'm struggling with the move to our new house and the passing of our last cat (3rd cat that passed this year on top of my mom). I've held because there was never a good time to start up again. Once I feel like my home is a home I guess I start again.

Holding for as long as you need should help you when you start to taper again. :thumbsup:

Hi all

I have a question...

Many thanks

Healing, I'm not a big believer in tolerance once a taper has begun.  Tolerance occurs when you are on the full amount of the drug prior to tapering.  Once you start to taper, your CNS can get hit pretty hard and take a long time to recover.  I personally wouldn't worry so much about tolerance as we know that anxiety to get off is also a part of withdrawal and brings with it many worries which are mostly unfounded.  Just take it easy and do what you can to distract and I would guess most of your sxs should resolve and become less of a worry.  :)--V

Holding for as long as you need should help you when you start to taper again. :thumbsup:

I know. The only reason I've been holding is until my situation was stable. Now I'm finally there. It only took a year.  :tickedoff:

Healing seeker,

I think Gards advise is spot on.

If it were me I would first get off the fast benzo then slowly work on the Vaium.

Being on two benzos is not a great way to move forward.

You are where you are so make a plan to hold the Valium and get off the other. You should do this with help from your Doctor. You may have to hold both for a bit to get stable or as close to it as you can. Then get off the fast acting benzo. The V may have to be adjusted as this happens.

Then slowly reduce the Valium.

The process in my experience involves commitment, patience and acceptance.

There will be times of fear when the sxs show up but these sxs are disturbing but not dangerous, keep telling yourself that. With a slow taper there should be no danger.

Acceptance of the process is important it won't be pleasant but as time goes by we learn to live with it and as we accept the troubling sxs we get better at minimizing their effect on us.

Acceptance takes the edge off of fear and makes it easier.

Talk to your Doctor about what you want to do and then make a plan, not schedule a plan then do it.

I find as long as the Doctor sees you have a plan and a commitment they will work with you and let you slowly come off at a symptom based rate. My Doctor always says slow is fine, holding is fine just don't go up.

I have found long holds when I need them work great.

I wish you all the best.

Peace & Healing

ATU 🙏🏻

I do have experience with being on 2 benzos at the same time. The vast majority of people say pick one drug to taper at a time. That's what I did. If you are on a fast benzo and a slow benzo, it would make sense to hold the slow benzo and taper the fast benzo. Ashton switched all her patients over to slow benzos to taper them. My doctor switched me part way to Librium (very similar to Valium) as I tapered away the Xanax and was very pleased when I was able to get completely off of my Xanax. He moved out of the area, but he got me off the Xanax before he moved and told me to be encouraged that I was able to do that. I was not happy at the time because I was still on L, but now I realize he was right. I'm very glad to be off of the Xanax.

My next doctor told me to hold to get stable, which I did. Now I am tapering the Librium. It's a journey. A long one. But each day I am one day closer to freedom. You are, too!

So good to read this Gard!  I'm flailing a bit today and yesterday trying to decide what to do.  But it may be a simple return of sxs or an uptick in symptoms.... This somehow gives me hope and some sense that if I continue on the course -- low mood and all -- that things could get better.  I'm so close to being off X!

SS

So good to read this Gard!  I'm flailing a bit today and yesterday trying to decide what to do.  But it may be a simple return of sxs or an uptick in symptoms.... This somehow gives me hope and some sense that if I continue on the course -- low mood and all -- that things could get better.  I'm so close to being off X!

SS

I hear you! I think I cried when I finished the X. For a few weeks my brain wanted it back but I said, "NO WAY!" After that, pushed to get lower on the L. Got to even capsules and then did my long hold. (No cutting or dissolving during may hold. Totally spoiled. ;))  My new doctor and I agree that I never, no never, want to go back to the way I was tapering the Xanax. It was a nasty drug for me.  :tickedoff:

A snack for Cant.

Carrot1.jpg

A snack for everybody else.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WBN8ZmA1y2s/VayqLXf-htI/AAAAAAAABPk/6zRC7PccBbw/s1600/Peanut-Butter.jpg

Hey, I lost 20 pounds, too! ;D And then when I stabilized, I gained 25. >:(  I blame peanut butter!

LOL yes I would think it was the peanut butter.

I would switch to Cant's carrots if I were you :laugh:

Something to consider while eating my pb sandwich!

BTW, does anybody know how Cant got on the carrot kick?

No but I have a friend who got seriously addicted to  raw carrots.

There are worse things to e addicted to but her hair and skin were turning orange so she cut them down to a normal level, but had a lot of trouble and still carried a large carrot in her bag for months.

A long hold of carrots you might say  :laugh:

I was put on valium for muscle spasms caused by a cyst in the central canal of my spinal cord.  I should have known immediately that valium was not for me.  I had a true paradoxical reaction to it in that it made me hyper rather than sedated.  I was hyper for a couple of years and then things went down hill and I started having all kinds of health issues which were benzo (and opiate) related.  After my life started to crater, I connected the dots by doing the research and knew I had to get off the drugs in spite of the pain.  I've found the pain to be much less since getting off opiates and tapering the valium.  I wish I could go back in time to the day when a college intern sat in on one of my appointments and said she had just studied my condition and I would need valium and oxycodone.  My doctor listened as it is rare (syringomyelia) and he had never heard of it before let alone treated it lol. That's it in a nutshell.  :)--V

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't have a landlord but I can tell you that disguise,attractive though it is, would not fool my cat  :)

Hi guys,

Hugs,

T

You aren't kidding this thread moves quickly  :laugh:

I will never catch up after I go away next week for a month  :tickedoff:

It was I who asked about the benzos helping and my case is similar to yours.

I was having panic attacks but I was told to take valium every day - started at 5mgs plus 5mg nitrazepam for sleep then they increased it to 10mgs V.!!, like you I was told I was tolerant and needed more.

I think the prescribing for only 2 to 4 should be stuck to but as you say, it's only with hindsight.

Thank you for replying.

I was just being nosy wasn't I :-[  or curious as I call it  :)

Curiosity is my besetting sin  :-[

I am really interested though, especially having seen the problems people on this forum are having.

Hi all

I have a question...

Many thanks

Healing, I'm not a big believer in tolerance once a taper has begun.  Tolerance occurs when you are on the full amount of the drug prior to tapering.  Once you start to taper, your CNS can get hit pretty hard and take a long time to recover.  I personally wouldn't worry so much about tolerance as we know that anxiety to get off is also a part of withdrawal and brings with it many worries which are mostly unfounded.  Just take it easy and do what you can to distract and I would guess most of your sxs should resolve and become less of a worry.  :)--V

Good advice Valley :thumbsup:

I have felt so much better since I stopped being so anxious and also I think because of the distraction I've had during the last month which seems to  almost stop me from even noticing the symptoms.

Of course the symptoms will probably ramp up when I cut again, but maybe not as bad because I will microtaper but at least I've stopped obsessing thanks to this group ...I hope  :laugh::thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your spinal problems Gard  :hug:

I feel humble because you and Valley are so cheerful and I got myself into a state obsessing about cutting just valium. :-[

Hi guys,

When I CT'd off the AD I couldn't exercise at all. I also started to gain weight once I started to stabilize and have gained about 20 lbs. Of course I'm still taking quite a bit of "downers" so I suppose that could be contributing to the weight gain.  :'

Hugs,

T

I'm puzzled about whether to blame my particular benzo for my weight gain.

My weight and size have remained constant for 30 plus years, since I had my children.

I never even put weight on after my frequent holidays when I eat and drink like a pig :-[

No gain or loss for the 2 and a half years I was on valium but  after the crossover from 5mg Nitrazepam to 5 of valium I felt so ill, which is why I held for over 6 months, and the worst symptoms were violent nausea,  general malaise and  lack of motivation [plus all the other vertigo and stuff which i still get but am dealing better with them now].

It was during that hold I put on over 20 lbs because the nausea used to subside in the evening and from around 7pm until bedtime I stuffed myself with carbs  which I don't usually eat many of.

For some reason that was all I fancied eating.

Also I felt too ill to socialise, no tennis, no swimming, no walking - I couldn't be bothered to get from off my sunlounger and it was a good summer, unusually for this country. :)

I have a general check up at the surgery every 6 months,  late May and late November, and it was literally between the check ups I found I had gained all that weight.

i never weighed myself at home because I had been the same weight for so long.

I was horrified and because I had got rid of the nausea by then I forced myself to go back to my usual eating and exercise pattern, started work again and lost most of the weight in about the same timescale, from December last year.

I'm thinking I'm wrong to blame the benzos, it was my binge eating of carbs and lazing around :laugh:

It's interesting though to read other peoples' experiences.

I have continued losing weight during this 2 month hold so it's probably just my own fault I binge ate.

Do some benzos cause craving for carbs does anyone know?

I'm carefully not mentioning Gard;s peanut butter  :laugh: :laugh:

Slowly,

I had an intense craving for sweets while tapering.  It's very strange because I never was a sweet eater.  Then ice cream, donuts, chocolate, etc.  Many times this was my entire daily diet.  It was ok as my weight loss was huge and this may have put a limit on that.  I still find myself eating a lot of sweets.  Maybe this will taper off (no pun!).  I'm wondering when the weight will come back on(?).  I think about 10 pounds was the wine and that won't be returning - after all these years I can no longer stand even the smell of it. :crazy:

My theory about the intake of Carbs, Our Brain is comprised of Glucose to keep it going, and when we are going through wd things get wonky up there and it needs more Carbs to sustain itself...that is just what I think. and those who may suffer more are deleting too much from their diet. :)

Slowly,

I had an intense craving for sweets while tapering.  It's very strange because I never was a sweet eater.  Then ice cream, donuts, chocolate, etc.  Many times this was my entire daily diet.  It was ok as my weight loss was huge and this may have put a limit on that.  I still find myself eating a lot of sweets.  Maybe this will taper off (no pun!).  I'm wondering when the weight will come back on(?).  I think about 10 pounds was the wine and that won't be returning - after all these years I can no longer stand even the smell of it. :crazy:

Interesting.

My cravings were definitely during the 6 month hold but it was the nausea stopping in the evening which set me off on a binge.

I don't have them now at all and haven't since I started tapering again in January.

The cravings were definitely, as you say, for sweet things and also bread and potatoes lol

I do eat moderate amounts of bread but like you I've never been much into sweet stuff and I loathe chocolate.

I am  back to "normal" eating now, which is quite balanced but of course my dose is pretty low compared with last year.

Got conflicting views from googling 'valium and weight gain"  so am inclined to blame the nausea, which was definitely when I crossed from Nitraz so maybe it was w\d from Nitrazepam?

My theory about the intake of Carbs, Our Brain is comprised of Glucose to keep it going, and when we are going through wd things get wonky up there and it needs more Carbs to sustain itself...that is just what I think. and those who may suffer more are deleting too much from their diet. :)

Aha you might have got it there.

My post crossed and I didn't see you there.

I was eating nothing all day and loads of carbs at night during that 6 months hold...definitely a bit wonky  and definitely w/d  :crazy:

I've always balanced my carb intake because of playing tennis.

I need some for the energy but not too many.

Exercise works for me, if I play tennis 2 or 3 times a week I can more or less eat whatever I like.

Oddly, just to add something non benzo related to the mix, I was constantly very nauseous and sick [vomiting] while I was pregnant with my twins.

So much so that I was hospitalised for 3 months.

I had a constant craving for sweet fizzy drinks [which I normally hate]  and fresh warm bread loaded with butter.

No wonder my twins were 8lbs each  :o  I made Humpty Dumpty look slim.

By the time they were 3 months old I had lost all the weight because I literally ran around all day - had to, I already had a 3 yr old, hectic to the point of almost nervous breakdown  :laugh:

Slowly,

Maybe it won't come back on, Lynn, now that you are off benzo.

Your chemistry will perhaps just return to normal.

If you avoid Gard's peanut butter  ;):laugh:

Slowly,

Maybe it won't come back on, Lynn, now that you are off benzo.

Your chemistry will perhaps just return to normal.

If you avoid Gard's peanut butter  ;):laugh:

I've always had a good metabolism and never been heavy (except pregnancy where I gained 40lbs!  lost in 6wks as I was too nervous to eat!).

[2e...]