Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

I'm starting to think the same thing about tapering both Ativan and Valium... it's when the trouble started.. should I increase the Valium again. It's only been 2.5 tapered very very slowly and it's been over a month.

I feel terrible

Hi Healing. Are you saying you dropped 2.5 in a month? If so, I know that would be way too fast for me and it may take a bit of time to feel better.  Perhaps adding it back would help? I don't know but others I'm sure others here with experience in dose correcting will chime in.  :)--V

Sorry, no experience with dose correcting. :( I only know the longer you wait, the more chance it won't help. Will your doctor at least let you stop tapering?

Also, I think your signature says you are at 2.5mg, down from 3.5mg, right? Still sounds like a big drop.

Hi all,

I've been holding for a little over 2 weeks due to horrible GI symptoms.  However, they seem to be getting worse as I hold.  I don't know what to do.  Should I keep holding or updose and hold?  I'm so miserable, and this needs to stop.  :'(

Hi all,

I've been holding for a little over 2 weeks due to horrible GI symptoms.  However, they seem to be getting worse as I hold.  I don't know what to do.  Should I keep holding or updose and hold?  I'm so miserable, and this needs to stop.  :'(

Hi Starshine! My own opinion would be that sometimes things continue to ramp up even in a hold before they start to decline back to baseline. Holding can't hurt IMO. As far as updosing, or "dose correcting" as we call it here, you may consider it if sxs are intolerable. I know others will be along to provide direction as well.  :)--V

Just stopping in to say hi......  :smitten:

I've skimmed some of the pages I've missed , but I don't think I've read all, I got behind the last week or so. Valleys math test, well normally I would have taken that on as a challenge to solve , but when I started reading it I almost had a panic attack so decided to forgo that one! Maybe another time :D

I did have a few laughs tho , at some of the posts I read..... Thanks for that !

I'm doing ..... Ok I guess. Some rough days , and very tired , not sleeping so well which is unusual for me.

However ..... Given that I took those 8 months to cut 1/4 mg , and cut 1\16 th in June , I consider I'm doing ok overall , for me.

The good news is I've been able to walk most evenings , I suffered the lead legs so much during those eight months , and this time , fingers crossed , they haven't been so much of an issue . I discovered I have a step counter and distance measurer on my iPhone , and I've walked a mile 4 evenings in a row! This feels like great progress for my general health .  :)

I actually remembered that about 15 years ago when I was vegetarian , I got In a place where I couldn't walk, I literally couldn't get out of bed. I saw a doctor back then and he reckoned I was b12/folate deficient , he was right..... I started supplementing and the symptom went away .

Anyway ... Even tho I do eat meat these days , I started supplementing with B12 , and I'm thinking maybe I needed it ,for my legs issue . I hope that's it because it's so great to be able to walk .....

Anyway ... Wanted to say hi .....always great to come here and read the humor and successes and support from  this great group.

Love to all,

MiYu  :smitten:

I would rather hit myself in the head with a hammer...

#1 -all open?? :(

Well done Valley...

( or another jar of nuts if there's one handy?)

This is especially funny Cant.... :laugh: You have a great sense of humor , even when sick..... I hope you feel better from the flu?  :-[

MiYu

I've skimmed some of the pages I've missed , but I don't think I've read all, I got behind the last week or so. Valleys math test, well normally I would have taken that on as a challenge to solve , but when I started reading it I almost had a panic attack so decided to forgo that one! Maybe another time :D

I did have a few laughs tho , at some of the posts I read..... Thanks for that !

I'm doing ..... Ok I guess. Some rough days , and very tired , not sleeping so well which is unusual for me.

However ..... Given that I took those 8 months to cut 1/4 mg , and cut 1\16 th in June , I consider I'm doing ok overall , for me.

The good news is I've been able to walk most evenings , I suffered the lead legs so much during those eight months , and this time , fingers crossed , they haven't been so much of an issue . I discovered I have a step counter and distance measurer on my iPhone , and I've walked a mile 4 evenings in a row! This feels like great progress for my general health .  :)

I actually remembered that about 15 years ago when I was vegetarian , I got In a place where I couldn't walk, I literally couldn't get out of bed. I saw a doctor back then and he reckoned I was b12/folate deficient , he was right..... I started supplementing and the symptom went away .

Anyway ... Even tho I do eat meat these days , I started supplementing with B12 , and I'm thinking maybe I needed it ,for my legs issue . I hope that's it because it's so great to be able to walk .....

Anyway ... Wanted to say hi .....always great to come here and read the humor and successes and support from  this great group.

Love to all,

It's great to hear you are able to walk MiYu! It seems to help mentally to be able to do something physical. At least you don't have to do any math to know how far you walked. :)--V

They are very much so intolerable.  I can't function.

I would likely updose.

It sounds like you are in the window where an updose would be likely to work, so I would agree with Lynn. I did a very small updose once quite a long time ago. I often wonder if I had updosed more and held at that time, if I would have needed to cross to Librium at all.

Love to all,

Good to see you, Miyu. I take B12 also. I take it on an empty stomach, which is supposed to help wth absorption if you lack some stomach enzyme or something. (Long time again, so can't remember exactly what it was I was lacking.) I'm glad you have been able to get out for walks. It helps so much to get outside and get moving, even if just a little.  Thats for keeping us updated!

Gard :smitten:

Re: the propaganda  .....

BIG Ditto on the last two sentences ...

Sure does prevent failed tapers and IS THE MOST SUPPORTIVE GROUP AROUND!

HEATH  :smitten: and doing well in my slow microtaper.

:thumbsup:  :clap:

Ditto to what Heath and Gard said.

Also this is definitely the best support group. :thumbsup::clap:

It has totally changed my mindset about not rushing my cuts and making them smaller.

That's good news. I think you'll  find that you are making a good decision. IMO, you are on the best course of action!  Good luck and keep us all posted!

I agree everyone. What's even worse is these "detox" or "rehabs" that taper people off in days or weeks. And charge a fortune. Very sad. They don't understand the difference between dependence and addiction. Or they do and don't care.

That is so true, I honestly believe these places are all about the money!

When I first  started my taper and was having a terrible time, I was on the phone with so many"helpful" places for detox. Nbody wanted to read the literature about the safest way to get off of Benzos. All they wanted was your money, detox you coldTurkey, then send you home in 2-3 weeks so you could have protracted side effects for who knows how long! And then you probably wind up giving up and going back on benzos to save your own life. NO THANK YOU, BENZO BUDDIES IS THE WAY TO GET IT DONE,

I GUESS IM ONE OF TGE LUCKY ONES BECAUSE I FOUND A PSYCH DOC WHO SUPPORTS MY " listening to my body" TAPER. He lets me go at a rate that is comfortable for me. I just love that doc!

HEATH

I'm starting to think the same thing about tapering both Ativan and Valium... it's when the trouble started.. should I increase the Valium again. It's only been 2.5 tapered very very slowly and it's been over a month.

I feel terrible

Hi Healing. Are you saying you dropped 2.5 in a month? If so, I know that would be way too fast for me and it may take a bit of time to feel better.  Perhaps adding it back would help? I don't know but others I'm sure others here with experience in dose correcting will chime in.  :)--V

Sorry, no experience with dose correcting. :( I only know the longer you wait, the more chance it won't help. Will your doctor at least let you stop tapering?

Also, I think your signature says you are at 2.5mg, down from 3.5mg, right? Still sounds like a big drop.

I only had to "dose correct"  by less than a mg when I switched to liquid. I wasn't reading the syringe lines properly. But I realized it in about ten days and went right back to where I was supposed to be. I did get side effects for about ten days because I mixed up brain real good alright! But after that I was fine again.

But imo, your cuts are way too big. Cutting 1mg at one time would just slay me! Seems like an up dose of some sort is in order if you are suffering so much. But I really am not the one to advise you since I am not experienced at all with up dosing.

Hope you find the way out of your struggle and feel better soon.

Heath

Hey there Cant,

Hope your bump on the head is feeling loads better by now.

I did a number on myself four days ago, coming out of the shower. Banged my noggen on the glass door. How the heck I did that is beyond me! I knew the shower door was there!

Well it's still sore to the touch.

Just commiserating......

Heath :D;D:idiot::crazy:

Oh and I must say....this group is getting more and more active! I love it! But I am having difficulty keeping up!

I need a speed reading class! :smitten:;D

Hi all,

Hi Star, did you do cuts between the dates listed? -im guessing so..

I think your still in a good window to dose correct back 4-6 weeks... how far is up to you, -perhaps a couple of weeks beyond your last stable dose (ish)...??

If the GI issues have just come out of nowhere, suddenly, then holding or a lesser increase may work..?? I find with V there is a fair lag time between cut and all SXs...

The GI sure is a nasty one, and sadly I cant find my own "sweet spot", but have pre-existing issues...

So I wish you every success...

-let us know how u go, or further questions...

Hi Heath, MiYu, Everyone...

Hope things pick up, and heads heal... Mine feels full of glue, so im a safe humpty dumpty...

But this teenager on his motorbike is going to get shot soon... -Its like an angry chainsaw in my head..!!

That stupid morning anxiety, dread, whatever, eased up this morning, lets hope that lasts, and it continues to fade through the day...

So all in all, improving from the flu and whatever else... -mixed pot here...

Keep up the good work people...!!

I agree everyone. What's even worse is these "detox" or "rehabs" that taper people off in days or weeks. And charge a fortune. Very sad. They don't understand the difference between dependence and addiction. Or they do and don't care.

When I first  started my taper and was having a terrible time, I was on the phone with so many"helpful" places for detox. Nbody wanted to read the literature about the safest way to get off of Benzos. All they wanted was your money, detox you coldTurkey, then send you home in 2-3 weeks so you could have protracted side effects for who knows how long! And then you probably wind up giving up and going back on benzos to save your own life. NO THANK YOU, BENZO BUDDIES IS THE WAY TO GET IT DONE,

I GUESS IM ONE OF TGE LUCKY ONES BECAUSE I FOUND A PSYCH DOC WHO SUPPORTS MY " listening to my body" TAPER. He lets me go at a rate that is comfortable for me. I just love that doc!

HEATH

Yes same thing happened to me.

I phoned "helplines"  a few times and every person I spoke to advised a rehab facility where, I was told, they would get me off in a month.

When I expressed amazement that it could be done so quickly and mentioned gradually tapering they all said that it was better to get off them in 4 weeks but the staff in the rehab unit would be there to make sure it wasn't dangerous.

As my symptoms after a cut don't really start until 2- 3 weeks in I'm guessing I would be left at home to cope with them.

The money they charged was huge.

I might as well just have done what my doctor said - 50% cuts and off in 2 months max.

As Tommy says, either they don't know about tolerance, addiction and withdrawal or they don't care.

I'm guessing that it's about money but I think it is bad that people staffing helplines should be into pressuring people into rehab.

Hey there Cant,

Hope your bump on the head is feeling loads better by now.

I did a number on myself four days ago, coming out of the shower. Banged my noggen on the glass door. How the heck I did that is beyond me! I knew the shower door was there!

Well it's still sore to the touch.

Just commiserating......

Heath :D;D:idiot::crazy:

Yes hope both of you are over the head bumps :laugh:

Did mine over a week  ago when a big curtain pole fell from its bracket and the heavy end of it got me in middle of forehead....big ouch.

A bit sore to touch but a very nice pale violet now, down from black  :laugh::idiot:

It has totally changed my mindset about not rushing my cuts and making them smaller.

That's good news. I think you'll  find that you are making a good decision. IMO, you are on the best course of action!  Good luck and keep us all posted!

Don't worry I'll keep you posted to the point where you will be sick of me  :laugh:

The 2 month hold has worked wonders though, I've felt really good for over 3 weeks now  :thumbsup:

Next cut not due before mid September  even though I am feeling good ,because I've got travelling to do to a wedding and theatres and stuff.

Wedding means a short flight to Scotland and then from there to London so didn't want to risk anything.

You see what a sensible turtle, or sloth, I'm becoming :laugh:  :thumbsup:

HEATH

Yes same thing happened to me.

I phoned "helplines"  a few times and every person I spoke to advised a rehab facility where, I was told, they would get me off in a month.

When I expressed amazement that it could be done so quickly and mentioned gradually tapering they all said that it was better to get off them in 4 weeks but the staff in the rehab unit would be there to make sure it wasn't dangerous.

As my symptoms after a cut don't really start until 3-4 weeks in I'm guessing I would be left at home to cope with them.

The money they charged was huge.

I might as well just have done what my doctor said - 50% cuts and off in 2 months max.

As Tommy says, either they don't know about tolerance, addiction and withdrawal or they don't care.

I'm guessing that it's about money but I think it is bad that people staffing helplines should be into pressuring people into rehab.

Hi again Slowly improving,

You are so on target.

These rehab places know just as little as  many many doctors. Actually they don't know little, they really know nothing! Why don't they read or do research on benzos and learn that  benzos are not like other addictive drugs.

This is where the whole problem lays. Uninformed people who think they know it all, but really don't have a clue, and are not willing to listen or read articles that just might teach them something!

Oh it makes me furious! And they calltheir places helpful!  ....NOT! .....

They all need an attitude adjustment! And to have some sense knocked into their heads!

Don't worry I'll keep you posted to the point where you will be sick of me  :laugh:

The 2 month hold has worked wonders though, I've felt really good for over 3 weeks now  :thumbsup:

Next cut not due before mid September  even though I am feeling good ,because I've got travelling to do to a wedding and theatres and stuff.

Wedding means a short flight to Scotland and then from there to London so didn't want to risk anything.

Will never get sick if you!

Heath :smitten:

I'm in the USA. It's about 3 am. I think it is way past bedtime... nite all, till tomottow!

Heath  I so agree.

I have heard of people coming out of those places feeling really ill., and being treated badly while they were in the place.

It makes me angry that these people don't read up about the drugs.

I also found the helplines useless.

It may just depend on who speaks to you on a particular day.

First one of mine wouldn't discuss anything other than going into a rehab facility.

The second one, when I phoned because I was worried my cuts were too big [they were]  told me i was doing great and to go for it and keep cutting even though I was feeling bad symptoms after cutting from 10mg down to 7.5 in one jump.

After cutting, as she told me to, down to 6mgs I found this forum and quickly gravitated to the Long Hold group.

I feel much more relaxed about it now and I will take as long as I feel I need to.

the only real help I have had has been from here  :smitten::thumbsup:

Nite nite sleep well  :smitten:

So hi I'm back....I went to the ENT yesterday for the vertigo.  He spent 3 minutes with me after I had a hearing test.....said there was nothing wrong with my inner ear....and dismissed me .  Wants me to go to vestibular therapy ( physical therapy).  Hoping I can drive...have an appt today

People have commented on my cutting 2.5 mg of Valium in a month and perhaps that is the reason I'm having so many sxs.  I updosed 1/2 of the 2.5 last night.....didn't seem to help...I'm extremely panicky.  I guess I just need to continue to take this amount????....or did I completely screw up??

Can withdrawal cause this kind of hugging the walls vertigo and fatigue.

This group is so friendly.  Thanks for your input.. I'm grateful

[4b...]