Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Slowly, I have never had depression before in life, but I find it a frontrunner SX with the Valium...

Recognising it for what it is helps me..

I never realised that valium caused it until it was way too late, Cant.

Recognising it should help me - I never thought of it in that way.

I shall speak sternly to myself when I feel depressed in future  ;)

Get thee behind me Valium induced depression. :tickedoff:

I do feel better now, especially since I looked on here and saw all the nice, friendly, helpful posts from people.

It does help alot doesn't it just to have someone know what it's like.

It isn't nearly as bad as when I was on the 15mgs.

I used to wake up feeling as if there was no point in living and that was when I looked up side effects etc and realised that lots of people become depressed on it.

Thank you everyone  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I am wondering whether it is possible to have waves even after a 17-month hold.

Right now, after prolonged work stress from a heavy workload, I feel unsteady on my feet and even scared to step outdoors because my legs feel so weak and wobbly. The physical fatigue mirrors the nervous and mental tiredness.

I am wondering whether this could still be s/x even after such a long hold? I kind of hope so, because if not it means something else is wrong.

Not so long ago I was breaking records on my step counter, regulalrly posting 10,000 + per day and up to 15,000.

Well this isnt the easiest question of the day..!!

Looking at the protracted, CT, etc Boards, I would guess that its possible in many cases...

But then RLS was your original SX -so perhaps these type of issues are related..??

Then there is the exercise its self, which in unusual excess could also ramp up any normally un-noticable SX... It plays hell with me...

Sorry, -just my ponderings... -not an opinion...

How are your normal baseline SX, things that stop you from further tapering day to day... ??

My best guess, would be yet more loving gifts from benzo WD.. Though I would be keeping an eye on things at this point...

My Best...

Thanks, Cantfly. useful insights. I guess if people are still having s/x years after stopping benzos then the answer to my question does indeed have to be yes....just to clarify, RLS is a sleep disorder where muscles are not fully at rest in sleep, rather than something that causes wobbly legs when you move around...I honestly doubt whether overdoing my walking a bit has triggered this - physical energy and "wobbliiness" seems directly related to mental stress and fatigue levels.

On top of that, I have intermittent backache atm - nothing to do with benzos - but even when it is absent the feeling of physical weakness is there. I can guarantee that a break from work and some better sleep would improve my physical strength.

Right now, after prolonged work stress from a heavy workload, I feel unsteady on my feet and even scared to step outdoors because my legs feel so weak and wobbly. The physical fatigue mirrors the nervous and mental tiredness.

I am wondering whether this could still be s/x even after such a long hold? I kind of hope so, because if not it means something else is wrong.

Not so long ago I was breaking records on my step counter, regulalrly posting 10,000 + per day and up to 15,000.

Looking at the protracted, CT, etc Boards, I would guess that its possible in many cases...

But then RLS was your original SX -so perhaps these type of issues are related..??

Then there is the exercise its self, which in unusual excess could also ramp up any normally un-noticable SX... It plays hell with me...

How are your normal baseline SX, things that stop you from further tapering day to day... ??

My best guess, would be yet more loving gifts from benzo WD.. Though I would be keeping an eye on things at this point...

My Best...

Thanks, Cantfly. useful insights. I guess if people are still having s/x years after stopping benzos then the answer to my question does indeed have to be yes....just to clarify, RLS is a sleep disorder where muscles are not fully at rest in sleep, rather than something that causes wobbly legs when you move around...I honestly doubt whether overdoing my walking a bit has triggered this - physical energy and "wobbliiness" seems directly related to mental stress and fatigue levels.

On top of that, I have intermittent backache atm - nothing to do with benzos - but even when it is absent the feeling of physical weakness is there. I can guarantee that a break from work and some better sleep would improve my physical strength.

Chalkey,  I also have restless leg syndrome , I know how awful it is to be kept up all night by it . I've taken gabapentin for years for it.

I too now have the wobbly weak legs that are definitely to do with the benzos and as you said nothing like the restless legs .

I have actually cut back a lot on my gabapentin , slowly , and don't get RLS that much now. Could be the Valium is masking it now. I do rub magnesium oil on my legs if I get an attack ...for me it's also hereditary.... My whole family has suffered it on and off, but not chronically like I have.

Hope you get a break and some good rest,

MiYu

Ps out of interest , do you get it In both legs? I usually get it in one leg at a time , and not always the same leg ... So weird .

Valley , hope you too get some rest

Cookie seems to be managing things in your absence..... :)

Thanks MiYu! It's pretty sad when you struggle to do 2nd grade math lol.  :)--V

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Hold on. You're driving how far to learn 2nd grade math? ::)

My Best...

Chalkey,  I also have restless leg syndrome , I know how awful it is to be kept up all night by it . I've taken gabapentin for years for it.

I too now have the wobbly weak legs that are definitely to do with the benzos and as you said nothing like the restless legs .

I have actually cut back a lot on my gabapentin , slowly , and don't get RLS that much now. Could be the Valium is masking it now. I do rub magnesium oil on my legs if I get an attack ...for me it's also hereditary.... My whole family has suffered it on and off, but not chronically like I have.

MiYu

Ps out of interest , do you get it In both legs? I usually get it in one leg at a time , and not always the same leg ... So weird .

RLS is what they put me on valium for, It had me in hospital a few times... a different cause again... -for me it was opiate WD and would last for days on end..  -Embarrassing to kick a female ambulance officer accidently...

Oh those were the days...  if only I knew...

Chalky, maybe the sore back is a nerve related thing??

Much like my footdrop.. -that sure gives me a weak leg... lol

MiYu

Miyu that's interesting - magnesium oil.

i was going to ask if there was anything which can help.

Can I buy this freely - ie not on prescription?

I only get this occasionally, usually during a really bad night sleepwise.

Only in one leg but I never know what to do to stop it.

Didn't realise it could be hereditary either but my mum used to have it I've just remembered.

You can do second grade math!!! Respect! ;);D

Two weeks off and doing well.  No acute, no ramping.  No need to reply folks.

This should give everyone here some hope that a slow taper and getting sxs under control will result in not only a very tolerable taper but an uneventful jump.

quote from bird-man whose been on here on BB long time  from an old post, I know its about reinstating but the interesting bit does mention long holds taking a long time as well

I talked to a few people that did 2 year holds after rather extra nasty C/T's and they got very stable after 700 or 800 days of holding. 

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Oh poor sweet dear V! Can't do your 2nd grade math work?

I'll tell ya what....since you've been so kind and helping me with my taper and the high school level math that goes along with it,....I'll tutor you in second grade math FOR FREE! :D

How's that for a real friend!

Or maybe the chickens can help? :crazy:

:D :D :D :D

Somebody mentioned magnesium oil. Can't find that post.

I use magnesium oil too. It works to keep my calf muscle cramps to a minimum.  I get it on Amazon. No prescription necessary. The brand I use is Life-flo.

I can't take magnesium in any form by mouth. Upsets my stomach. And this stuff goes right into my body where I rub it on so it works real well. I rub it into my calf muscles.

And it's not oily! It's a water like liquid. I don't know why they call it oil!

It comes from the sea, so only side effect is it leaves a salt residue on your skin. It doesn't bother me.  I don't even know it's there.  But after about a half hour, if you want, you can rinse it off. The magnesium will have gotten under your skin by then.

I think the post where someone was talking about this was for restless leg. I don't have restless leg but I know it works for muscle cramps for me.

Good luck  :smitten: :smitten:

Somebody mentioned magnesium oil. Can't find that post.

I use magnesium oil too. It works to keep my calf muscle cramps to a minimum.  I get it on Amazon. No prescription necessary. The brand I use is Life-flo.

I can't take magnesium in any form by mouth. Upsets my stomach. And this stuff goes right into my body where I rub it on so it works real well. I rub it into my calf muscles.

And it's not oily! It's a water like liquid. I don't know why they call it oil!

It comes from the sea, so only side effect is it leaves a salt residue on your skin. It doesn't bother me.  I don't even know it's there.  But after about a half hour, if you want, you can rinse it off. The magnesium will have gotten under your skin by then.

I think the post where someone was talking about this was for restless leg. I don't have restless leg but I know it works for muscle cramps for me.

Good luck  :smitten: :smitten:

Thank you so much Heath :smitten:

I was asking after MiYu mentioned it.

I have restless leg very occasionally [touching wood :)]  but it is so irritating and always occurs during a particularly bad restless night.

I will try that, I'll have a look on Amazon.

My neighbour was given it for night leg cramps, along with some mineral supplement, I can't remember which one.

I will try the oil - it sounds quite nice especially if it isn't in fact oily. :thumbsup:

My Best...

MiYu

Ps out of interest, do you get it In both legs? I usually get it in one leg at a time , and not always the same leg ... So weird.

MiYu, I was given Clonazepam for the RLS but it has backfired horribly - I was given Pregabalin prior to that but it did not help either. I wonder if that is another name for the meds you are taking. I am glad your RLS is better - benzos must help some people's RLS or I guess they would not be prescribed for them.

Cantfly - I am not sure whether one or both legs are  affected.  Both, I suspect. The backache is definitely caused by poor posture at the PC - I am also partially sighted so often get slack with my accessibility software and lean forward too much, and it catahes up with me. Other big medcial crosses I have to bear.   

I'll tell ya what....since you've been so kind and helping me with my taper and the high school level math that goes along with it,....I'll tutor you in second grade math FOR FREE! :D

:thumbsup: I need all the help I can get lol. :)--V

:thumbsup: I need all the help I can get lol. :)--V

Cookie says no problem. She's working on some practice drills for you. :thumbsup:

http://i.imgur.com/hiO2vTK.gif

linear-equations.jpg

And Puff would be happy to come along to help on test day!

You have nothing to worry about, V. Nothing at all! >:D

Chalkey...... I'm sorry you were give K for RLS ..... Ugh.......

I think pregabalin is a stronger version of gabapentin. Gabapentin always worked for me , for quite some years I just took 100 mgs as needed .

Now I take 350 , which is not so bad . Would like to be off that too though .... Benzos first....

Slowly ..... I use the same mag oil as Heath  :smitten: lifeflo from Amazon . I think 6 sprays has about 100 mgs magnesium chloride. It does dry your skin out and can sting a bit , but as Heath said , you can rinse it off after 20 mins or so , or use it before you shower. ( if you shower that is! Me , I can't take the stimulation and have to have baths )

Nova dear, how are you?  :smitten:

Thanks for the post from Birdman .... I have followed her quite a bit and I know she sees some of the top experts in the US , so her word is good.

I started feeling really sick and so tired mid morning and thought , oh no , Valium making me sick. Then I looked and I had missed 1/2 mg from my am dose .....one of the joys of rapid metabolizing..... :idiot:.

Love to everyone ,

MiYu  :smitten:

linear-equations.jpg

And Puff would be happy to come along to help on test day!

You have nothing to worry about, V. Nothing at all! >:D

:laugh:

So cute......

Gard . I posted in the over 50's group about Librium with some questions for you.... Tried to pm you but your PMs are off. Not sure why I posted there ! Maybe I was feeling my age  :(:o

:smitten:

Found it, Miyu, and brought it here cuz I don't hang out there. (Denying my age to the very end!)

Hi Gard :smitten: how are you feeling? I hope things are improving for you.....

I wanted to ask you about Librium.... I am thinking of asking my doc about crossing over to it. I. Having such a rough time with the Valium , I don't know why . It makes me feel so awful when I take it now. Especially if I don't have enough food in my stomach , like this morning , and it literally shocks my system it goes in so fast I get short of breath , anxious, rapid heart beat ... Not nice. Things settle down after a while , but then it's time for another dose! Evening dose seems easier , but it still makes my head feel like it's full of concrete.

I was wondering what you experience of Librium is like , when you take it , how long it takes to come on , how many times a day you dose? Given that I am having to take Valium 3 X day , I could just as well be on a short acting benzo !

I don't mind the multiple dosing , I don't work so , my life kinda revolves around it!

I would like some releif from the reaction to the benzo tho . Dealing with the WDs is bad enough.

Anyway , if you have time , maybe you could write me a little about your experience with Librium . I wonder if it would be a hard crossover .......

I think the equivalent of v to L would be about 5 mgs L to 2 mgs V . So I'd be starting on about 20 mgs Librium .

I read that L is soluble in water ..... Do you do equal dosing and reduction from your total daily dose?

Trying to avoid WDs from rapid metabolizing ...like I got when I did V in vodka/ water . I now use nut milk .... I can do a bit of research myself on that.

One more question , does the effect of L hit you hard when you take a dose , or dose it come on slowly with your vodka/ water solution?

Thanks Gard so much .....

Thanks, Miyu. I'm holding to try to overcome a rocky patch. Regarding Librium, from what I understand, Librium is much like Valium but more annoying. It was the first benzo. Valium was created as an improvement. Librium is probably not stable as a liquid (from one study I read), so I must mix up my doses every night for the following day. It only comes as capsules in the USA, so I must open the tiny capsules and pour the powder out into the jars. Sometimes I spill all over the place and have to start over. Librium and Valium both break down into almost the exact same active metabolites. I do believe Librium is metabolized a bit more slowly than Valium, but I have read different things about whether the difference is really that great, so no conclusion there. Personally, I don't notice it hit me but then I didn't notice Xanax hit me either. There are different reports on how much water it takes to dissolve Librium. Some suggest gallons to dissolve a capsule. I go with alcohol. I dissolve 5mg of L in 3ml of 80 proof vodka. Then I add 97ml of water and shake. I always shake before I pull and pitch just to be safe. I dose 3 times/day, but most people dose 2x/day. I happen to take other meds that dose 3x so it was just easier to take the L at the same time. The main reasons I chose L was because I am a fast metabolizer of V and because I had been given a dose of Librium once in the past and nothing terrible had happened. But since V and L quickly break down into nearly the same active metabolites, it probably doesn't make a difference. I don't know about the equivalencies since I've never been on V. I crossed from X to L. I think  it's .5mg X = 25mg L, but don't quote me! It was a long time ago. Just a possible help, fat slows the emptying of the stomach, so taking drugs with fatty food might help slow down the hit. Sorry I don't have better news about L. :(

Gard

Found it, Miyu, and brought it here cuz I don't hang out there. (Denying my age to the very end!)

hi Gard  :smitten:

I had a read on the over 50s but I found it so depressing, which is the last thing I need at the moment  :)..and I'm way over 50.

It's like reading the other parts of the forum, so much conflicting information made me dizzy and I have enough vertigo as it is.

I know things are different for different people but I was so confused, which was how I came to find this group.

I just wanted to ask a question [so what's new, I do it all the time :laugh:]

Answers from anyone would be helpful

I think that I won't have too much trouble cutting from 5 to 3.125, even easier to cut from 5 to 3.75,  but I'm thinking instead of doing the liquid daily microtaper which Valley worked out for me using vodka/water.

I could then reduce from 5 to 4 over a month [or longer if necessary]  and then down to 3.75 using tablets again.

My question is ...do people notice any difference in the way they feel or  a difference in w/ds  when they take it as liquid as opposed to tablets?

I don't want to be wondering if it's w/ds or changing to liquid...I'm confused enough as it is :crazy::laugh:

The only problem I forsee with liquid is that I could only do that at home so if I were to go to London which i do about once a month or so, sometimes at short notice if my daughters suddenly say "would you like to see whatever at the theatre" for example,  I would then be in a mess carrying vodka and mixing my doses away from home and taking my dose in a theatre or restaurant if it was vodka/water.

Whereas it's easy to pack tablets ready cut into doses.

On the other hand I really like the idea of a micro cut each day which is easy with liquid.

Do most of you do liquid titration or do some of you cut tablets?

If I did the cut to 4mgs over a month or 6 weeks with liquid and then switch back to tablets from 3.75 does that sound ok?

You can tell I'm over 50 can't you  :laugh: :laugh:  indecisive, incoherent and very confused.

I know you can only give your own personal experience and I will have to make the decision myself but your experience would help.

I will hold for as long as I think it's necessary whichever method I use.

At least there is consistent opinion in this group, even from Cookie ;)

Oh Lord just reading this in preview and it sounds totally mad.

hi Gard  :smitten:

I had a read on the over 50s but I found it so depressing, which is the last thing I need at the moment  :)..and I'm way over 50.

It's like reading the other parts of the forum, so much conflicting information made me dizzy and I have enough vertigo as it is.

I know things are different for different people but I was so confused, which was how I came to find this group.

I just wanted to ask a question [so what's new, I do it all the time :laugh:]

Answers from anyone would be helpful

I think that I won't have too much trouble cutting from 5 to 3.125, even easier to cut from 5 to 3.75,  but I'm thinking instead of doing the liquid daily microtaper which Valley worked out for me using vodka/water.

I could then reduce from 5 to 4 over a month [or longer if necessary]  and then down to 3.75 using tablets again.

My question is ...do people notice any difference in the way they feel or  a difference in w/ds  when they take it as liquid as opposed to tablets?

I don't want to be wondering if it's w/ds or changing to liquid...I'm confused enough as it is :crazy::laugh:

The only problem I forsee with liquid is that I could only do that at home so if I were to go to London which i do about once a month or so, sometimes at short notice if my daughters suddenly say "would you like to see whatever at the theatre" for example,  I would then be in a mess carrying vodka and mixing my doses away from home and taking my dose in a theatre or restaurant if it was vodka/water.

Whereas it's easy to pack tablets ready cut into doses.

On the other hand I really like the idea of a micro cut each day which is easy with liquid.

Do most of you do liquid titration or do some of you cut tablets?

If I did the cut to 4mgs over a month or 6 weeks with liquid and then switch back to tablets from 3.75 does that sound ok?

You can tell I'm over 50 can't you  :laugh: :laugh:  indecisive, incoherent and very confused.

I know you can only give your own personal experience and I will have to make the decision myself but your experience would help.

I will hold for as long as I think it's necessary whichever method I use.

At least there is consistent opinion in this group, even from Cookie ;)

Oh Lord just reading this in preview and it sounds totally mad.

Hi Slowly.  I found liquid to be an easy switch.  I did do a really small updose when i switched just to be safe.  You should be able to adjust switching to liquid. I would personally just hold for a couple of weeks after switching. I think anxiety of expectations regarding the switch cause some of the problems if that makes sense. 

As far as having to hall all the materials to make the solution, you don't necessarily have to take your full dose as liquid.  You can take part liquid and part dry which is how I do it. That way you can mix up enough solution for 2-3 weeks and just take the jar of liquid with you.

Switching back from liquid to dry shouldn't be an issue either. I have switched back and forth a couple of times. 

I hope this makes sense.  My brain truly is mush lol.  :)--V

[39...]