Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Hi All,

It sure is great to see holds producing results and relief for many here.  I'm convinced that the holds were essential to me and my ability to successfully complete my taper - well, not quite completed!  Six days and counting! :D

Thank you for the "shout out" Heath and I'm so glad you are doing well.  It does take alot to hold for significant amounts of time.  We always have that doubt as to whether we are doing the right thing or, even, the fear that we are harming ourselves.  What a ridiculous situation we all find ourselves in.  I guess I am fortunate in that I held (with great results!) for 8 months before I found BB and read negative comments about holding.  I was only here a day or two before buddies told me that I would get "tolerance withdrawal" if I didn't start reducing immediately.  Well, this lead to a racing that precipitated a second hold of 4 months.  I'm just thankful that I found this group during that second hold and could shut out the voices that would have sunk me.  But it sure can take a leap of faith.

I do believe that this group is preventing failed tapers, giving up and/or even "protracted".  Plus it seems to be the most supportive support group around! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hope all have a peaceful and restorative day.

Hi All,

It sure is great to see holds producing results and relief for many here.  I'm convinced that the holds were essential to me and my ability to successfully complete my taper - well, not quite completed!  Six days and counting! :D

Thank you for the "shout out" Heath and I'm so glad you are doing well.  It does take alot to hold for significant amounts of time.  We always have that doubt as to whether we are doing the right thing or, even, the fear that we are harming ourselves.  What a ridiculous situation we all find ourselves in.  I guess I am fortunate in that I held (with great results!) for 8 months before I found BB and read negative comments about holding.  I was only here a day or two before buddies told me that I would get "tolerance withdrawal" if I didn't start reducing immediately.  Well, this lead to a racing that precipitated a second hold of 4 months.  I'm just thankful that I found this group during that second hold and could shut out the voices that would have sunk me.  But it sure can take a leap of faith.

I do believe that this group is preventing failed tapers, giving up and/or even "protracted".  Plus it seems to be the most supportive support group around! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks Lynn for such an inspiring post and I am so glad I found BB, and such a Dear Friend. It has been a real pleasure to walk silently beside you. I am so glad I already had the long hold mindset before I came here. I know that made it easier for me, I had made up my mind that it had to be different this last time, and I just take my own advice. Valley I think this post from Lynn needs to be placed with the other Propaganda. :thumbsup:

That is so amazing, Lynn. Can you give us benzo brains a countdown every day and then we can PARTY when you're off!

Got one mascot who is already trying on party hats. :D

80219432f3afa926d2ce205a3e46be8e--turtle-birthday-turtle-party.jpg

Sorry you're in a wave again, tntd. I think I would be tempted to hold until it passes. Hope that's soon.

Gard :)

Hi everyone,

Wow, it's been a crazy week on here and out here :) I love all the work that Cookie has been doing. I was laughing so hard and I needed the laughs  :laugh:

Nova, I'm so sorry for all you're going through. These crazy doctors drive me nuts. I think they are the ones who have mental problems sometimes! Fortunately some of them are good but it's hard to find them. I hope that you are able to get through what you are going through and that the noise machine will show how bad things are for you, ignoring your farts etc  :laugh:

Heath, I'm really glad to hear that your wave was just a blip any you are feeling better. Thanks for your wonderful post. We will all get there eventually.

I find it so interesting all of the ups and downs we all go through. I was in a wonderful window, up and down in the window but a window none the less, for about a month. Then the begining of this week I started into a wave. It has been getting worse as the week has been going on. I have been holding for about four and a half months and was planning to start my turtle/sloth taper on Monday. I'm not sure if I should now. It's so hard to know what to do. The wave isn't that bad but it's not great either. I'm barely functional. My taper is going to be super micro, .0019mg for two days and then hold for two weeks. It already feels like I'm never going to get off this medication because of how slowly I'm going but that's what my brain has been telling me it can do at the moment. Has anyone been able to increase their taper over time?

Hugs and healing everyone.

T

Hi Tntd. Sorry things have gone south and hope for a quick turnaround for you. I'm not sure about buddies increasing the taper rate although I would imagine there are some out there.  :)--V

Hi All,

So glad you're here lynn! You've shown us the way it's done.  :thumbsup:

Hi All,

Thanks Lynn for such an inspiring post and I am so glad I found BB, and such a Dear Friend. It has been a real pleasure to walk silently beside you. I am so glad I already had the long hold mindset before I came here. I know that made it easier for me, I had made up my mind that it had to be different this last time, and I just take my own advice. Valley I think this post from Lynn needs to be placed with the other Propaganda. :thumbsup:

I will definitely have to add it.  :thumbsup:

Hi everyone,

Wow, it's been a crazy week on here and out here :) I love all the work that Cookie has been doing. I was laughing so hard and I needed the laughs  :laugh:

Nova, I'm so sorry for all you're going through. These crazy doctors drive me nuts. I think they are the ones who have mental problems sometimes! Fortunately some of them are good but it's hard to find them. I hope that you are able to get through what you are going through and that the noise machine will show how bad things are for you, ignoring your farts etc  :laugh:

Heath, I'm really glad to hear that your wave was just a blip any you are feeling better. Thanks for your wonderful post. We will all get there eventually.

I find it so interesting all of the ups and downs we all go through. I was in a wonderful window, up and down in the window but a window none the less, for about a month. Then the begining of this week I started into a wave. It has been getting worse as the week has been going on. I have been holding for about four and a half months and was planning to start my turtle/sloth taper on Monday. I'm not sure if I should now. It's so hard to know what to do. The wave isn't that bad but it's not great either. I'm barely functional. My taper is going to be super micro, .0019mg for two days and then hold for two weeks. It already feels like I'm never going to get off this medication because of how slowly I'm going but that's what my brain has been telling me it can do at the moment. Has anyone been able to increase their taper over time?

Hugs and healing everyone.

T

Thank you for verifying what I kind of suspected. There has been, and continues to be that window/wave pattern to this hold. I actually wasn't sure if this was something unique to me, but even then, I figured I just had to continue holding whether it is unique or not.

And now that the 6 month time has past, I'm going through another wave. So I'll definitely be continuing the hold. I didn't realize that this was typical of benzos at all, but its more knowledge that not only helps me "cope," but it's knowledge I think I need to be able to relay to others if the need arises. It almost feels like "Part 2" is happening now with this continuation as sx are changing, and yet they still are definitely sx of an unstable CNS.

I have to admit that the hold itself with these windows and waves is a stressor all by itself. When the windows occur, I'm consistently myself all day and evening, and this lasts for about a month to 6 weeks, but with that last two weeks I start slipping into a wave kind of gradually, and I don't always see it coming. And then, I'm fully in that wave, and I'm not me consistently throughout the day, and it's even hard to fully remember how good I felt during the window. And it feels kind of awful with some emotional, physical and cognitive sx.

I'm glad I'm here too! Thank you for saying that. I've learned a lot the hard way about benzos, and I'm glad to share what I do know.

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks for all the wonderful replies.

Nova I love the quote about continuing to hold.

I suppose my issue is that my windows and waves are coming from a CT from an AD and it could take multiple years to stabilize. I'm hoping that I can taper with tiny micro tapers even within the windows and waves of the CT. If I find that the sxs increase and I am not functional I will stop and hold again. I've just got this fear that I won't stabilize from the CT for years and I really don't want to wait who knows how many years before I start to taper from the benzo. On top of that my psychiatrist is planning on retiring in two to three years and I'm hoping to be a lot lower in my dose by then just in case my new psychiatrist won't work with me. I'm also stockpiling my clonazepam just in case. If I knew I was going to have this pdoc for years to come I think I wouldn't mind holding as much. He's all for it himself. He told me to hold as long as I needed to, or at least through the summer so I could enjoy the summer as much as possible :) He's really awesome.

Wow Lynn, I'm so excited for you. I wish you a smooth landing. I suppose you are actually sliding off and that's even better :D

I love this group and the wonderful support here. I also love the fun loving attitude. It is so wonderful to be able to laugh while going through all of this.

Hugs and continued healing everyone,

T

Hi All: it's been a while. Sounds like some of you are doing great! Um, not to be a downer but I need advice. Been holding at 4 Valium for almost 3 months and vision issues just not improving. I've been to opthamologists and going back to optometrist this week to see if it's glasses. I seem to need them for everything now, reading, driving, working on computer, but 6 months ago I didn't other than driving? What the heck? Is this normal? Should I make a cut? I'm scared as I have big deadline with work and I can't afford for things to worsen just now but this eye stuffis bad and also giving me headaches. Any thoughts? Sorry to be a party pooper. Does anyone do liquid titration here? Seeing dr this week. Ugh!

Hi all. I'm STILL holding :-( I've recently been put on chlorpromazine to help with tension, vivid dreams etc etc :( Has anyone any experience of these?

Hi Group. Benzo Buddies has agreed to support the movement by the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition (BIC) to get a black box warning on benzodiazepines.

Public Citizen has been advising BIC about how to get the black box warning. PC has successfully petitioned the FDA for black box warnings when there have been many, many complaints about a drug. The more people that fill out a complaint, the better. If anyone is up to doing this, I encourage you to click on the link to our thread on the subject and join in!

Here's the link to the thread on Benzo Buddies.

FDA Medwatch

I read the directions and made a report myself last night. Some of the boxes on the form could be skipped, so I did. When it asked for dates, I guessed. After I filled it all out, it showed me my form so I could edit any mistakes before submitting. It also allowed me to download my report for my own records, which I did. I checked the box that said I did not want my name shared with the drug companies, so everything I wrote is confidential. It took a little while but wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Would you have a look and see if this is something you could do? Thanks!

Hey Bluepill- I am having eyesight issues as well.  I really do not know how much of this is actually my eyes deteriorating or withdrawal.  I have to use my glasses all the time too and I need new glasses if I want to see clearly in the distance where I could before.  My thinking on it is that as long as my glasses can allow me to see okay, I'm not going to worry about it too much.  I've heard that some drugs can permanently damage eyesight, I think it was antidepressants, but I am sure that benzos could do it too.  It also could just be me getting older but it seems like it happened really fast for that to be the reason.

Hi All: it's been a while. Sounds like some of you are doing great! Um, not to be a downer but I need advice. Been holding at 4 Valium for almost 3 months and vision issues just not improving. I've been to opthamologists and going back to optometrist this week to see if it's glasses. I seem to need them for everything now, reading, driving, working on computer, but 6 months ago I didn't other than driving? What the heck? Is this normal? Should I make a cut? I'm scared as I have big deadline with work and I can't afford for things to worsen just now but this eye stuffis bad and also giving me headaches. Any thoughts? Sorry to be a party pooper. Does anyone do liquid titration here? Seeing dr this week. Ugh!

Hi bluepill! My vision has been blurry for years even before I started to taper. It is very annoying but my optometrist assured me my eyes will go back to normal. Sorry about the eyes. It is very annoying.

I am current doing liquid titration so if you want to try it and need help just let us know and we can get it set up for you.  :)--V

Hi Group. Benzo Buddies has agreed to support the movement by the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition (BIC) to get a black box warning on benzodiazepines.

Public Citizen has been advising BIC about how to get the black box warning. PC has successfully petitioned the FDA for black box warnings when there have ben many, many complaints about a drug. The more people that fill out a complaint, the better. If anyone is up to doing this, I encourage you to click on the link to our thread on the subject and join in!

FDA Medwatch

I read the directions and made a report myself last night. Some of the boxes on the form could be skipped, so I did. When it asked for dates, I guessed. After I filled it all out, it showed me my form so I could edit any mistakes before submitting. It also allowed me to download my report for my own records, which I did. I checked the box that said I did not want my name shared with the drug companies, so everything I wrote is confidential. It took a little while but wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

I started one gard. I just need to finish lol.  :)--V

Hi all. I'm STILL holding :-( I've recently been put on chlorpromazine to help with tension, vivid dreams etc etc :( Has anyone any experience of these?

Hi irishlass. I don't have any experience with it except that I know it's common name is Thorazine and it is used to to treat schizophrenia. It is a powerful drug. It sounds like they are using it off label to treat your sxs. I would personally not use it but it is up to you.  :)--V

Public Citizen has been advising BIC about how to get the black box warning. PC has successfully petitioned the FDA for black box warnings when there have ben many, many complaints about a drug. The more people that fill out a complaint, the better. If anyone is up to doing this, I encourage you to click on the link to our thread on the subject and join in!

FDA Medwatch

Thanks for posting this gard! V (or anyone else) if you need any help with your report, I'll be glad to assist. I've helped several others and have lots of tips and tricks by now. Just shoot

Me a pm! Also V, how is it that you are ahead of me now in your taper?  :D

Hi everyone. Im new to BB. I will tell my story and hopefully get some feedback. I have been on klonopin for 20 years. Hit tolerance. Started a daily liquuid taper in january. Tapered from 2.5mg to 1.5mg. Now i've been holding for a month and still feel terrible. I actually feel like i'm getting worse. Does holding work? Anyone else hold and continue to feel worse but it eventually helps? I'm worried i'm wasting my time and need some input on holding since i've never done it before. I actually felt better after the overdose for about a week. Thanks for any help.

For the sake of our vulnerable members, all references to self harm have been removed from this post. We have created a page especially for those who are having such thoughts. Please click on the following link to that page if you are considering self harm.

Suicide and SelfHarm

Hi everyone. Im new to BB. I will tell my story and hopefully get some feedback. I have been on klonopin for 20 years. Hit tolerance. Started a daily liquuid taper in january. Tapered from 2.5mg to 1.5mg.  Now i've been holding for a month and still feel terrible. I actually feel like i'm getting worse. Does holding work? Anyone else hold and continue to feel worse but it eventually helps? I'm worried i'm wasting my time and need some input on holding since i've never done it before. I actually felt better after the overdose for about a week. Thanks for any help.

Hi Tommy and welcome! Sorry you're having a rough time. As far as holding goes, it is a lifesaver for many and some don't find it beneficial to them. The windows and waves pattern during a hold can be deceiving as you can certainly feel worse before you feel better. It did a when I held. Sxs continued to ramp up for a couple of months and then started to cycle until they gradually started to fade. It takes a lot of patience to hold. The best advice I can give is to listen to your body. If you are suffering intolerable sxs, it's unlikely IMO that continuing to reduce will make you feel better and will likely make you feel worse. Hope others will chime in.  :)--V

For the sake of our vulnerable members, all references to self harm have been removed from this post. We have created a page especially for those who are having such thoughts. Please click on the following link to that page if you are considering self harm.

Suicide and SelfHarm

FDA Medwatch

Thanks for posting this gard! V (or anyone else) if you need any help with your report, I'll be glad to assist. I've helped several others and have lots of tips and tricks by now. Just shoot

I only got ahead because I've kept reducing ever day since I hit 7.5. I'm experimenting over the summer to see what rate I can taper daily since I'm off work and have the time to deal with mild to moderate sxs while I try to find the right pace. I'm still a chicken/turtle though lol.  :)--V

FDA Medwatch

I only got ahead because I've kept reducing ever day since I hit 7.5. I'm experimenting over the summer to see what rate I can taper daily since I'm off work and have the time to deal with mild to moderate sxs while I try to find the right pace. I'm still a chicken/turtle though lol.  :)--V

Lol V. I went back to cut and hold for now as I couldn't tell much difference with microtaper with the scale. I'm getting there, slowly. I'm a turtle too!

FDA Medwatch

Thanks, V. Don't let it time you out! And be sure to check that Cookie hasn't already submitted a report on you. ;):laugh:

Hi everyone. Im new to BB. I will tell my story and hopefully get some feedback. I have been on klonopin for 20 years. Hit tolerance. Started a daily liquuid taper in january. Tapered from 2.5mg to 1.5mg. Was so sick I overdosed last month. Now i've been holding for a month and still feel terrible. I actually feel like i'm getting worse. Does holding work? Anyone else hold and continue to feel worse but it eventually helps? I'm worried i'm wasting my time and need some input on holding since i've never done it before. Sorry my overdose was 60mg klonopin. I actually felt better after the overdose for about a week. Thanks for any help.

Hi Tommy, Welcome to BB and the Long Hold Support Group. I'm sorry you are struggling so much. I have a question for you. When you say you hit tolerance what do you mean? Unfortunately this word means different things to different people. The founder of BB wrote a short article about it that might help you with your decision of whether to hold or continue to taper due to tolerance issues http://www.benzobuddies.org/benzodiazepine-information/tolerance-and-dependency/  I hope this information is helpful.

Hey Gard, thanks for the link. I'm going to go fill one of those forms out. My only worry is that doctors are going to start to force people off of these drugs because of the warnings. I have a friend who is being forced off at a faster pace than her body and brain want but there isn't much she can do about it. Hopefully the doctor will come to her senses at some point, or maybe do some actual research into w/d from benzo's.

Hope everyone is having a tolerable weekend.

Hugs and healing,

T

Hi everyone. Im new to BB. I will tell my story and hopefully get some feedback. I have been on klonopin for 20 years. Hit tolerance. Started a daily liquuid taper in january. Tapered from 2.5mg to 1.5mg. Was so sick I overdosed last month. Now i've been holding for a month and still feel terrible. I actually feel like i'm getting worse. Does holding work? Anyone else hold and continue to feel worse but it eventually helps? I'm worried i'm wasting my time and need some input on holding since i've never done it before. Sorry my overdose was 60mg klonopin. I actually felt better after the overdose for about a week. Thanks for any help.

Hi Tommy, Welcome to BB and the Long Hold Support Group. I'm sorry you are struggling so much. I have a question for you. When you say you hit tolerance what do you mean? Unfortunately this word means different things to different people. The founder of BB wrote a short article about it that might help you with your decision of whether to hold or continue to taper due to tolerance issues http://www.benzobuddies.org/benzodiazepine-information/tolerance-and-dependency/  I hope this information is helpful.

Hey Gard, thanks for the link. I'm going to go fill one of those forms out. My only worry is that doctors are going to start to force people off of these drugs because of the warnings. I have a friend who is being forced off at a faster pace than her body and brain want but there isn't much she can do about it. Hopefully the doctor will come to her senses at some point, or maybe do some actual research into w/d from benzo's.

Hope everyone is having a tolerable weekend.

Hugs and healing,

T

[/quhhote]Hi TNTD. When I said tolerance I meant that the drug was no longer working. I was getting gradually getting sicker for years but it took me a longtime to figure out it was the klonopin causing all my problems. My doctors were clueless and never told me about tolerance. I stumbled on the Ashton manual and that is when I knew what my problem was. Could you give me any advice on holding? I feel worse everyday. I don't know if it's normal to keep getting worse before feeling some improvement. Thanks to all who answered. I'm still figuring out this site.

[30...]