Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

I joined this community in May 2017 at 10mgs Xanax & 75mgs Zopiclone a day.

I dropped to 8mgs Xanax 2 weeks ago and am still on 75mgs Zopiclone.

These are still pretty high doses. I am hoping to taper off Xanax first, then Zopiclone.

Have been on both drugs for 20 years.

Although I've only cut 2mgs, my withdrawal side effects are making life pretty hellish.

Advice please? Stay at this dose for a little while longer or continue to taper.

* My intention was to cut every 2 weeks, which would mean I am due to cut again tomorrow.

I'm terrified. I'm having mild panic attacks (on top of withdrawals) every couple of hours. I'm in such a bad space atm, all I can do is lay in bed and get to the bathroom to throw up.

Help ...  :'(

Did I get my conversions right??  200V plus 50V equiv down to 160V plus 50V??

If so, I would be thinking, -dont push it by date, settle in for a SX guided taper, one where you can function ok...

This probably depends on a few things, like a continued supply of meds, and your SX from taper starting point, to when they ramped up...

In other words, can you find and maintain a comfortable taper speed.. ?

Or will you be fighting tolerance for a while, like I did on high doses of a different DOD med...

Either way, right now, some relief and stability sounds much needed... -Im sure you know the choices... -Hold for stability, or updose -usually to the last stable dose... (-yes, I left out the continue to taper option, for now..)

You Can do this... -its the method thats Key... This is a great support group for the long haul....

My Best...

Cantfly, today you are my hero. Thank you for getting back to and for your words of wisdom.

In for the long haul...  :smitten: I like it.

Thank you again 😊

These are still pretty high doses. I am hoping to taper off Xanax first, then Zopiclone.

Although I've only cut 2mgs, my withdrawal side effects are making life pretty hellish.

Advice please? Stay at this dose for a little while longer or continue to taper.

* My intention was to cut every 2 weeks, which would mean I am due to cut again tomorrow.

I'm terrified. I'm having mild panic attacks (on top of withdrawals) every couple of hours. I'm in such a bad space atm, all I can do is lay in bed and get to the bathroom to throw up.

A 2mg drop is a big one.  I think dropping .5mg at a time would be much gentler.  Yes, it's a marathon not a race.  You want to do this in a manner that is "doable" and won't result in a failed taper, misery and reinstatement or protracted wd syndrome.  It's important to find a pace that your brain/body can handle and adjust to without debilitating you.  It took 20yrs to get where you are and taking a couple of years, if need be, to get off is not unreasonable.

I have a similar history and started tapering at 8mg xanax.  It's taken far longer than I ever imagined but this is what is required - for me.  I made some large cuts at the beginning and had to hold for 8 months - so doing this really didn't save me any time and also caused some very bad wd.

I would adjust my taper amount to a level that doesn't cause debilitating symptoms.  I've had wd throughout but not to the level where it's impacted my functioning (well, not since I reduced the cuts).  I've also held periodically when sxs started to spiral.

My theripst wrote my family doc and they are working together  :smitten: since my cuts have been so bad I am updising to 4mgs a day. 1mg 4xs a day and holding till stable. The past 6 months have been a utter nightmare. Happy to finf hope and relief  :smitten:

That is wonderful to hear your doctor is working with you. :smitten:

I agree with your decision to only cut one drug at a time. :thumbsup:

Xanax can have very difficult withdrawal symptoms, and you just made a big cut. I agree with lynn and Cant, listen to your body and don't rush it. I made the mistake of not waiting to stabilize between cuts when I was tapering Xanax. I tried crossing to Librium. Still no relief. I ended up holding for nearly a year to get stable. I think I experienced a lot of unnecessary suffering because I didn't listen to my body. If you take it slow and do a symptoms-based taper, you will likely have a much easier journey to zero. You can do this!

Gard

Welcome to the group! I can't really give any better advice than what has been given. Listen to your body and you'll do great! We're glad to have you here.  :)--V

Hi All :) I'm in the 3,2,1 group but I've been 'holding' on 2.5 Diaz for 6 weeks. Do I qualify to join ;)

I just want to ask is this normal? I know I cut too early but this is just too much. Pure misery :'(

Hi All :) I'm in the 3,2,1 group but I've been 'holding' on 2.5 Diaz for 6 weeks. Do I qualify to join ;)

I just want to ask is this normal? I know I cut too early but this is just too much. Pure misery :'(

Irish, yes it`s normal and when you cut to fast you will know it as your feeling it right now ! I am not the Boss here but sure you can join so welcome and pull up a chair and i hope things settle for you soon  :) ~CD

Hey and Hello Irish,

I think most of us have been where you are.  It takes awhile for things to settle down after going too fast.

Welcome!

Cantfly, today you are my hero. Thank you for getting back to and for your words of wisdom.

In for the long haul...  :smitten: I like it.

Thank you again 😊

my pleasure, and great to see your other replies from the cleaver buddies...!!

Hang in there, you will be ok...

:)

You're in the right place Irish! Waiting for your body to catch up to the cuts will make things smoother when you resume IMO.  :)--V

Thank you all. I'm not part of the gang  8)

ahhh... Here you are... well done... (I just left u a msg on 3,2,1,)

These guys are great.. (many of us are tapering too -just slower)

I just wanted to check... when you say the misery is too much, are you ok??

(I have to sleep, but others will help)

Hi all, been holding my 1.5mgs since my cut in April and I am a walking nightmare still

so dizzy/off balanced...have feet that feel as if they are asleep (been checked for B12 & Diabetes)  so tingling and numb and some in hands too???

Neurologist thinks I have "MAV"  Migraine associated vertigo A.K.A.  Vestibular Migraines

had me start on Amitriptyline last week  took it for 7 days and gave up...did nothing for the dizziness at all

last time I did a long hold I was at 7 mgs I believe and held 5 months to no avail

I am 100xs worse now and scared a long hold will do nothing again, yet I am paralyzed from cutting anymore right now

someone asked if I were to jump off just to see if it would be worse (because honestly I can't imagine it being so)  but I am to scared to do that too

I wonder if Diazepam has been the big mistake all along (should never have c/o to it)  a little to late now don't you think?

well so I am again a member of your group not by choice but by fear and sickness :-[ :'(

Hi all, been holding my 1.5mgs since my cut in April and I am a walking nightmare still

so dizzy/off balanced...have feet that feel as if they are asleep (been checked for B12 & Diabetes)  so tingling and numb and some in hands too???

Neurologist thinks I have "MAV"  Migraine associated vertigo A.K.A.  Vestibular Migraines

had me start on Amitriptyline last week  took it for 7 days and gave up...did nothing for the dizziness at all

last time I did a long hold I was at 7 mgs I believe and held 5 months to no avail

I am 100xs worse now and scared a long hold will do nothing again, yet I am paralyzed from cutting anymore right now

someone asked if I were to jump off just to see if it would be worse (because honestly I can't imagine it being so)  but I am to scared to do that too

I wonder if Diazepam has been the big mistake all along (should never have c/o to it)  a little to late now don't you think?

well so I am again a member of your group not by choice but by fear and sickness :-[ :'(

Hi lainey. Sorry you are having difficulty. It seems it has been a real battle for you. All I can speak to is my personal experience. If I cut when I feel bad, I end up feeling worse. Hope you start feeling better soon!  :)--V

Hey  Lainey, Right here with you.  Seems we are the problem children.  I have been holding now 7 months and getting worse also.  Burning today is the worst it has ever been.  I don't know how long I can hold on.  I also have other meds in the mix so who knows but I know when I crossed to Valium and tapered down is when all the trouble started.  I wish I would have stuck with the Ativan also.  Praying we both feel soe relief soon.  :smitten:

Hey  Lainey, Right here with you.  Seems we are the problem children.  I have been holding now 7 months and getting worse also.  Burning today is the worst it has ever been.  I don't know how long I can hold on.  I also have other meds in the mix so who knows but I know when I crossed to Valium and tapered down is when all the trouble started.  I wish I would have stuck with the Ativan also.  Praying we both feel soe relief soon.  :smitten:

Hi free I wish I knew what to tell you. I do understand you're in kind of a rough area with the other meds. I hope you can get where you want to be and start feeling better.  :)--V

Dearest Lynn, Gardener and Valley

Thank you SO much for taking time to respond and for your wise words. It means so much.

Thank you for helping me, during a time when I felt I couldn't help myself. Just hearing from you has made me feel infinitely less jittery and that it's going to be ok.

💙🙏🏼

Dear Lainey , I'm sorry you are suffering so much . Honestly , I think if I was in your shoes I'd try a small updose..... I know you cut pretty fast in the midst of a lot of symptoms before ..... It seems like your best choices would be , to hold on as best you can til things settle , and in my humble experience , for me that's been many months after pretty small cuts , or to try an updose , which I truly know nothing about . But I know really we only have three choices - hold , updose , reduce ...... And reducing seems like it would be the worst possible thing right now . So as I said , I have very little experience , I. Just learning to listen to my body and take it slow as there's just only so much suffering I can take .

Hang in there whatever you choose ,

MiYu

It's so good to see you here, Miyu! I truly hope things keep getting better for you.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thank you dearest Gard , you are so sweet  :smitten: :smitten:

How are you? Are you managing to keep up with your new function? Hope so! Don't forget about us will you now .....  :-*

free , I hope you feel some relief very soon . Keep holding on , I know we all heal eventually , I'm really sorry you are suffering so much right now ,

MiYu  :smitten:

Thank you MiYu,  I pray so also.  This is unbearable for me.  Glad you seem to be doing better and having windows.  Wish I knew what that was like.  :smitten:

Hi Irish lass and welcome.

I read your recent taper schedule and see that you have cut 1 mg a month in the last few months. That's about, I believe,  25% .  Those are very big cuts! May I suggest that you make your cuts no more than 10% of your last dose from now on. IMO, if were me, I would hold until stable, which may take some considerable time because your CNS needs time  to recover, adjust, and heal from your past big cuts. And only then, begin your taper again, and only after you are quite stable. Those big cuts you took are probably causing you the considerable wdfx. Some people would updose a bit if the wdsx are too unmanageable at this point, but that is something you would have to seek advice for from some other buddie. I have never updosed.

I am a firm believer in this support group. I honestly believe they have saved me! I only wish more people would discover the value in holding to let their CNS catch up and recover before they pushed into too quick and too large cuts and therefore mess themselves up and suffer needlessly.

Stay strong, give it time to get over this bad bout of wdfx , get stable, and only then proceed slowly with holds when needed and cut small and cautiously.MOST OF ALL, LISTEN TO WHAT YOUR BODY IS TELLING YOU. DONT CUT IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING BAD WDFX.

But again, a big Welcome! I wish you patience, courage, strength and the confidence to remember that YOU CAN DO THIS! ....and lots of Windows.....very soon.

Heath ;) ;)  :therethere::mybuddy:

[d8...]