Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

I may have the longest hold ever. Last August I had an awful wave. Crushing spine pain, 10 days straight of insomnia, and I lost 30lbs. in 7 days. I was in an awful mental state, total terror and I thought I wasn't going to make it through that. So I held on. At the time my wife and I were in Australia for her work. We decided I'd come home in October and so I held to October. I was at 2mg of Valium.

When I got back to the US I was still fairly fragile. On the advice of most here and because my wife was afraid of another wave while she was back in Australia I held until she finished her assignment. She returned home in December and it seemed we were on our way.

Two weeks later my mom passed away. My dad was dependent on my mom, because he's blind. So this became both instant grief beyond belief and an instant crisis. We had to get my dad near my brothers and I. I was with my dad for a month while we worked on moving him, figuring out my mom's estate, etc. So I held, still at 2mg.

Once my dad was settled I started a job and so I held. That job has gone fairly well and we saved enough money to buy a house, so I held.

In 2 months we move into the house. I assume once we're settled eventually the hold will end. This year has been hell. I can barely believe what has gone down.

There are times where I wonder if holding this long was a good idea. There are other days I can't imagine doing otherwise.

Hey Stephen...

-I remember your posts from around xmas time.. -glad things are going ok.. sorry about the trials and loss...

Im sure you are aware there are some fair contesters for the longest hold..!!

While it must feel like you have lost much tapering time holding, Im sure you could appreciate the disaster of being in the midst of bad WD at the most inoppertune times... Probably a grass is greener on the otherside type thing...

All going well you can now settle in to your tapering, knowing you avoided some possibly excessive stress...

Best wishes...

Hey Stephen,

I, too, remember your posts.  The fact that you made it through all of the incredible stress (a few of life's most stressful - loss of a loved one, moving and new job) and functioned...is quite remarkable and a testament to holding.  I held for 8 months the first year and don't feel that I lost anything.  I truly believe that I could have really messed myself up for a very long time had I not taken that course.

You made the right choice. :thumbsup:

Hi Stephen, sorry about the loss and I remember you also and followed your posts. IMO you did the right thing. I wish I could tell you how long I have held total, but it has been a lot. The end result for me is to have a functional life at present with minor blips, blips meaning not full blown, just a bit annoying and still can lead a fairly good day. I am a believer that when going too fast in taper and not listening to the body we set ourselves up for more trauma to our Brain, and it takes time loads of time to heal. It all comes down to listening to your body and not getting ahead of all this madness and reading and taking everyones advice, ultimately it comes down to just one person You. Stay Strong.

Tomorrow is my doc appointment to see if I'll be able to do a long hold, wish me luck!

All the best with your appt!  Be firm.  He doesn't want you to suffer needlessly, does he?

I may have the longest hold ever. Last August I had an awful wave. Crushing spine pain, 10 days straight of insomnia, and I lost 30lbs. in 7 days. I was in an awful mental state, total terror and I thought I wasn't going to make it through that. So I held on. At the time my wife and I were in Australia for her work. We decided I'd come home in October and so I held to October. I was at 2mg of Valium.

When I got back to the US I was still fairly fragile. On the advice of most here and because my wife was afraid of another wave while she was back in Australia I held until she finished her assignment. She returned home in December and it seemed we were on our way.

Two weeks later my mom passed away. My dad was dependent on my mom, because he's blind. So this became both instant grief beyond belief and an instant crisis. We had to get my dad near my brothers and I. I was with my dad for a month while we worked on moving him, figuring out my mom's estate, etc. So I held, still at 2mg.

Once my dad was settled I started a job and so I held. That job has gone fairly well and we saved enough money to buy a house, so I held.

In 2 months we move into the house. I assume once we're settled eventually the hold will end. This year has been hell. I can barely believe what has gone down.

There are times where I wonder if holding this long was a good idea. There are other days I can't imagine doing otherwise.

Hi Stephen. I was just thinking about you the other day as i remember all the stuff you had going on at the time with the move from Australia. I'm sorry for your loss and the continued stress. I absolutely believe you did the right thing.  All of that stress would have most likely set you up for failure if you had tried to taper through it.  I believe you'll do just fine when everything settles down.  :thumbsup:

Open question,

Do any of you get rediculous night sweats? I have been experiencing these every night now for the last week. I wake up drenched in sweat and I am freezing.

Any idea on what to do about this?

Thanks all

ATU 🙏🏻

Open question,

Do any of you get rediculous night sweats? I have been experiencing these every night now for the last week. I wake up drenched in sweat and I am freezing.

Thanks all

ATU 🙏🏻

Hi ATU. This was a huge problem for me early in my taper. It lasted for several months but eventually let up. I'm starting to get the "night sweats" again so I'm most likely going to slow down some. I put a fan on at night so that it blows on me continuously. Sorry you're going through this unpleasant symptom.  :)--V

Tomorrow is my doc appointment to see if I'll be able to do a long hold, wish me luck!

Good luck Lostdaydreaming !

I hope your doc cooperates!

Heath :)

Open question,

Thanks all

ATU 🙏🏻

Hi ATU. This was a huge problem for me early in my taper. It lasted for several months but eventually let up. I'm starting to get the "night sweats" again so I'm most likely going to slow down some. I put a fan on at night so that it blows on me continuously. Sorry you're going through this unpleasant symptom.  :)--V

To me it means im in the worst of it, I tend to get it with RLS...

2 or 3 weeks, all going well... -and plenty of towels for bed etc.. -and washers... u may find it has a very uric smell...

Hydrate well...

The body is doing its job well...

My best..

Open question,

Thanks all

ATU 🙏🏻

Yep!! mine have recently started again  during this hold after going away for quite  some time, nothing to worry about its just the  body  returning to where it had to leave off  healing while it was doing repairs else where, that why we cycle back and fore, we're a big reconstruction job right now  :) Here you go I just posted this on another thread but post it often so people understand why old symptoms return again and again before going completely.

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: 

http://theemergencesite.com/Images/HealingSpirals.jpg

Why Symptoms Return - How Healing Progresses

http://theemergencesite.com/Tech/TechIssues-Healing-Spirals.htm

Open question,

Thanks all

ATU 🙏🏻

Have had them off and on since day one.  No advice...except AC, open windows in winter, use of wet washcloths went it's really bad.  The good news is that the hot flashes and day sweats are long gone.

I have only had the night sweats when I was ill from something and my temperature broke, after reading here some who are suffering with it or have suffered with night sweats, I have to be thankful and I am, I am trying to think if I had the sweats when I did my first two tapers, but it is not clear or I just have not had that set of goodness from the evil one...So if they should come I know who to ask for advice and hoping that it will pass for you good souls, such things we must go through, but "Victory will be Ours One Day"... and no sweats :thumbsup:

Hi Stephen,

I too remember your posts.  I am so sorry for your loss and the considerable stress you have undergone this last year.  I do think you made the right decision to hold.  I am also at the same dose I was at this time last year.  I was down to 0.168 mg/day and then up dosed to 0.204 mg last June.  I have tapered down a bit and due to some stressful situations, I have up dosed.  But, I am now back down to 0.204 mg.  There are times when I feel that I have made no progress, and I should have pushed through. But with all that was going on here, it would have been impossible. 

I wish you nothing but the best.  You will know when you are ready to taper.  I have started cutting again--about 0.19% (0.00004 mg) daily.  It will take me over a year to finish, but as long as I remain functional at work and can live my life, I am fine with that.

Good luck to you.  You will get plenty of support from the wonderful people in this group.

Anne  :smitten:

Hi Anne so happy to see you here again. Hope things are better now for you and Hubby. Stay Strong My Friend. :smitten:

Hi Anne so happy to see you here again. Hope things are better now for you and Hubby. Stay Strong My Friend. :smitten:

Hi Begood!!

Thank you so much.  So nice to see you too.  Yes, things are settling down here.  I am finally feeling better--recovery was much slower than I thought it would be.  Now, I just need to stabilize a bit more on the ativan.

I hope you are enjoying the day!!  Take good care

Anne  :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Lynn,

Great to see you here.  Yes, I am off for another month, and I do plan on enjoying the  time off. I hope you are doing well.  You are almost finished!! I am so happy for you.

Have a wonderful day!!

Anne  :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks Anne!  I'm doing very well. :thumbsup:  The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and brighter. ;D  Have a great month!

Thank you all who responded to my question on night sweats.

I did get them earlier in my taper but then they went away. Now there back and it seems to me even worse than before. It also seems that my BP is up a bit since they started. Not acceptionally high but higher than usual.

I will just have to carry on. Maybe it's the added stress of my sisters Brain tumour. She has the operation or actually is having it as I type this. I am just laying here waiting for word on how it went.

Peace & Healing to all.

ATU 🙏🏻

I did get them earlier in my taper but then they went away. Now there back and it seems to me even worse than before. It also seems that my BP is up a bit since they started. Not acceptionally high but higher than usual.

I will just have to carry on. Maybe it's the added stress of my sisters Brain tumour. She has the operation or actually is having it as I type this. I am just laying here waiting for word on how it went.

Peace & Healing to all.

ATU 🙏🏻

My Prayers are with your Sister and You and your Family.

Peace & Healing to all.

ATU 🙏🏻

Hope all goes well for your sister.  :)--V

Thank you, everyone. I was hoping mostly for something as simple as, "You didn't make a mistake". Your words, though, were quite kind. I didn't realize anyone remembered me, which is why I recounted everything. Anyway, thanks again. Made my day.

[f7...]