Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Query, I am on xanax, have been on strong antibiotics for 4 months for a medical mess. A few weeks ago, I couldn't breathe (intense) and pdoc put me on prednisone. Yesterday was my last  day, and I gather I am in for about 2 weeks of continued hell from it.

I read through the prednisone forum, but it didn't answer my question. Since prednisone and benzo's are cross tolerant, does that mean they cancel each other out? What exactly is cross tolerance.

Finally, I was on prednisone 9 days at a gradual reduction through the period. I still feel like I can't breathe. Today is my first day off of the prednisone. Could the xanax have cancelled out the prednisone, as I felt the prednisone cancelled out the xanax?

Can I anticipate feeling better in a few weeks? Various boards estimate about 2 weeks for normal adrenal function to return after prednisone use.

This has been agony. And, it's not over.

If anyone can help with this questions, it's appreciated.

Query, I am on xanax, have been on strong antibiotics for 4 months for a medical mess. A few weeks ago, I couldn't breathe (intense) and pdoc put me on prednisone. Yesterday was my last  day, and I gather I am in for about 2 weeks of continued hell from it.

I read through the prednisone forum, but it didn't answer my question. Since prednisone and benzo's are cross tolerant, does that mean they cancel each other out? What exactly is cross tolerance.

Finally, I was on prednisone 9 days at a gradual reduction through the period. I still feel like I can't breathe. Today is my first day off of the prednisone. Could the xanax have cancelled out the prednisone, as I felt the prednisone cancelled out the xanax?

Can I anticipate feeling better in a few weeks? Various boards estimate about 2 weeks for normal adrenal function to return after prednisone use.

This has been agony. And, it's not over.

If anyone can help with this questions, it's appreciated.

Hi BD. It looks like alprazolam oral will decrease the level or effect of prednisone oral by affecting hepatic/intestinal enzyme CYP3A4 metabolism and prednisone oral will decrease the level or effect of alprazolam oral by affecting hepatic/intestinal enzyme CYP3A4 metabolism. They basically make each other less effective.  :)--V

Hope everyone is doing well.  I just wanted to report that at 6.5mg I have been experiencing huge windows and close to 100% functioning mentally.  I do have some rough days but the good days are actually getting better and better.  Slow and steady wins the race.... Hang in there everyone! :)--V

A testament to the long hold! Way to go Valley! Yay!  :clap::thumbsup:

Heath :smitten:

Does anybody have news on how Cant is doing?

A bit better, he will post I am sure.

Thank you, BG.

Hope, I take low levels of vitamins (multi, cal-mag, D, and stuff for my autoimmune disorder) that I was taking before I started the benzo taper. I haven't added anything. Here is the sub-forum that talks about supplements. The stickies at the top are worth reading.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=110.0

Thank you everything is so conflicting it's so hard to figure out especially when I'm so sick right now. I'm very constipated, but don't know what to even take for that. There are so many different view points.

Hope, I take low levels of vitamins (multi, cal-mag, D, and stuff for my autoimmune disorder) that I was taking before I started the benzo taper. I haven't added anything. Here is the sub-forum that talks about supplements. The stickies at the top are worth reading.

Thank you everything is so conflicting it's so hard to figure out especially when I'm so sick right now. I'm very constipated, but don't know what to even take for that. There are so many different view points.

Magnesium works well and it helps anxiety.  It's worth a try..

Hope everyone is doing well.  I just wanted to report that at 6.5mg I have been experiencing huge windows and close to 100% functioning mentally.  I do have some rough days but the good days are actually getting better and better.  Slow and steady wins the race.... Hang in there everyone! :)--V

I am really happy for you Valley.  I have had so many window days in a row now I have lost track...I am functioning around 90% .. I'm just holding here for a while... I know on some level my CNS is still very fragile so I am just enjoying these much better moments.. working on repairing damage at work, exercising and doing CBT <3  :) 

I have to say that this support group did a lot to change my way of thinking about getting off benzos .. I'm convinced now, slow wins the race.. love you all!

Hello all,

Just dropping by. I didn't know this support group existed so I wanted to make sure I would see future notifications. Thanks to everyone keeping it going 🙏🏼💙

Keep on, keeping on  :smitten:

Peace. Love & Hapiness

ATGNT (All The Good Names Taken)

I am really happy for you Valley.  I have had so many window days in a row now I have lost track...I am functioning around 90% .. I'm just holding here for a while... I know on some level my CNS is still very fragile so I am just enjoying these much better moments.. working on repairing damage at work, exercising and doing CBT <3  :) 

I have to say that this support group did a lot to change my way of thinking about getting off benzos .. I'm convinced now, slow wins the race.. love you all!

Thanks George. So glad you're doing well! It really does pay to go slow. I had to learn it the hard way lol.  :)--V

Hello all,

Just dropping by. I didn't know this support group existed so I wanted to make sure I would see future notifications. Thanks to everyone keeping it going 🙏🏼💙

Keep on, keeping on  :smitten:

Peace. Love & Hapiness

ATGNT (All The Good Names Taken)

Hi ATGNT!  It's great to have you here! The buddies on this thread are wonderful so post when you need and you'll get great advice.  :)--V

Magnesium works well and it helps anxiety.  It's worth a try..

I take half the dose on the Miralax bottle for constipation. I also use psyllium husk powder mixed in juice. (Shake and shake and drink very quickly.) I've heard that large doses of magnesium work as a laxative, but I've never tried it. I think you would end up absorbing a lot of magnesium which some people find problematic. The Miralax and the psyllium are mostly not absorbed. One thing I do know, NEVER take anything laxative-like near a benzo dose. You don't want the benzo to go right through you with the laxative!

Fantastic news Valley , you must be really happy!  :clap: :clap:

I'm so looking forward to tapering ' sloooowly' when my body is ready.

I'm starting to feel a bit better .... It's slow and subtle , and I get tired really easily so I know my body is still going through healing. I'm practicing with being afraid of the V and the taper..... That's taking some time to subside after many months of hell. I am starting to believe I will get there eventually, stabilize .

Hope everyone else is doing well too ,

Love, MiYu

Valley,

This is good news in deed. Glad to hear you sounding so much more positive as well. These bad periods during taper can be extremely challenging but if can can hang on to the idea that it is temporary allbeit unpredictable also, we can get through it. :thumbsup:

Miyu, hope you too will be feeling better soon.

Peace & Healing to everyone

ATU 🙏🏻

Thank you ATU , I hope you are hanging in there too , and feeling better .....?

Love MiYu

Great news George!  :yippee::clap:

I'm starting to feel a bit better .... It's slow and subtle , and I get tired really easily so I know my body is still going through healing. I'm practicing with being afraid of the V and the taper..... That's taking some time to subside after many months of hell. I am starting to believe I will get there eventually, stabilize .

Love, MiYu

It is very subtle MiYu but in my experience it levels out eventually. I had to have so much patience when holding. I committed to6 months just to remove any temptation to cut. It has worked out well as I've always believed you should feel better as you lower the dose and it starts to release its grip on you. I'm finding that to be true as I taper very slowly based on sxs. The mental sxs have lifted almost completely. Depression and anxiety are gone. I can only imagine things will continue improving on the way down. I'm sure you'll get there. Don't be afraid to taper when you are ready. You'll do fine when you get to that point.  :)--V

Hey Heath,

I remember Yucca valley, it's a ways up the road from 29 Palms but close compared to almost anywhere else out there :D.

V - I'm so glad you are getting big windows. That is so wonderful to hear. I hope we all end up where you are now!!

MiYu - I'm also glad to hear that you feel like things are starting to improve for you. Holding is hard work but I think it's worth it for those of us that use it.

ATGNT - welcome to the group ;D I've found this group of people to be full of fun and information.  :thumbsup:

Hope - my daughter uses magnesium citrate for her constipation. It's supposed to be one that is very effective for that. I learned over on Surviving Antidepressants that no matter what you choose to try start small and go slow just in case it impacts you negatively. I've also heard from a friend that eating a lot of salads helped him for awhile. You just never know what is going to work. I hope you find some relief.

I think I'm in a bit of a window today. Unfortunately it's raining and cold and I don't want to go anywhere in the yuckyness. I was out for six hours with my daughter last night though. We went clothes shopping and had a lot of fun. It was like old times. I did have moments of anxiety surges and the need to go into a dressing room to hide from the overstimulation but then I could come out and play some more. It was glorious :D

I hope everyone is finding some good in their day  :smitten: :smitten: :hug: :hug:

I think I'm in a bit of a window today. Unfortunately it's raining and cold and I don't want to go anywhere in the yuckyness. I was out for six hours with my daughter last night though. We went clothes shopping and had a lot of fun. It was like old times. I did have moments of anxiety surges and the need to go into a dressing room to hide from the overstimulation but then I could come out and play some more. It was glorious :D

I hope everyone is finding some good in their day  :smitten: :smitten: :hug: :hug:

This is great news tntd!  :thumbsup:

Love, MiYu

It is very subtle MiYu but in my experience it levels out eventually. I had to have so much patience when holding. I committed to6 months just to remove any temptation to cut. It has worked out well as I've always believed you should feel better as you lower the dose and it starts to release its grip on you. I'm finding that to be true as I taper very slowly based on sxs. The mental sxs have lifted almost completely. Depression and anxiety are gone. I can only imagine things will continue improving on the way down. I'm sure you'll get there. Don't be afraid to taper when you are ready. You'll do fine when you get to that point.  :)--V

Thank you dear Valley,

It is very hard to commit to holding ,especially when symptoms take so long so subside, and

Also change and  come and go.

But I am starting to feel small changes . So , trying not to overthink it  :)

I do believe things should improve as we get lower also, as long as we give our bodies the time they need to heal as we go. I know this day will come for me for me too, with all the excellent support and encouragement I get here .

Love, MiYu

Ps , does anyone know how Nova is doing?

[bb...]