Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Wait what! Gabapentin interfere with benzo withdrawl healing?

No not necessarily Hope.... I've just been on it for many years . Are you on it? If not I wouldn't recommend starting , doctors often prescribe it for cold turkeys , or to ' help' with benzo WD . But it's another drug and does require tapering . Better especially in your situation to not add any other meds and do a slow taper to avoid bad symptoms , rather than adding in other meds to try and make symptoms easier for a taper that is basically going too fast.... That's my opinion anyway . In the past I never had an issue stopping and starting gabapentin m but that was before benzos , so for me anyway it seems to have become a bit more complicated now... I don't anticipate that this will be my whole story though.

Love, MiYu

Agreeing with Miyu. I'm on gabapentin for Restless Leg Syndrome and neuropathy spikes. I would say approach any drug with caution.

[4a...]

Cantfly,

Great news about your window!  I'm so pleased you shared the good news.  It's so nice to get those breaks from symptoms and a peak into what lies ahead for you.  😊

Thanks Wdi (did i get that right?)  such a supportive environment around here... -how can one not get better...!!!

Thanks Hope, -it sure was a surprise...!!

Zmzgrs86h4AHBBH3KiEyUDSgIXUyiw8s8jrVitmF8OoX9MiR-CQfEhpD1QEGBNlcIUEUy0CfxVYmngzoyrlClCYHvLbtFlU8CMmQNKLCja10n9Mao4mFFAzuBzsWafUHkf1AyuD6i2zZxw=w320-h460-nc

Today a happy turtle...

Yes, it's Wdi.  I don't post much on here, but my observation is it's a very supportive and safe place to hang out! 

Cantflydid liquid valium make your symptoms increase or did it make your G.I. symptoms increase?

Hope, -If I remember right I stacked the odds in my favour.. I went back up to my previous dose and held...

It was My GI that wasnt happy... I feel it was the Alcohol component and nothing to do with the medication component or how fast its absorbed.. -I often disolve my V in my mouth, for what i suspect is a tiny placebo effect...

I drank a lot in my teenage years and havnt been able to drink without getting very ill for over 20 yrs...

This felt exactly the same (a reaction at these 2ml quantities), no matter how much water I added to my dose...

But it sure would have made a good scope prep or laxative...!!

But I will give it another try soon with a very slow/small introduction period...

Thats all one can do..

The subject has been well debated at times around this site... -It seems some have trouble, and some dont...

Most agree to treat the C/O as a cut, IMO

Hope that helps...

:)

No not necessarily Hope.... I've just been on it for many years . Are you on it? If not I wouldn't recommend starting , doctors often prescribe it for cold turkeys , or to ' help' with benzo WD . But it's another drug and does require tapering . Better especially in your situation to not add any other meds and do a slow taper to avoid bad symptoms , rather than adding in other meds to try and make symptoms easier for a taper that is basically going too fast.... That's my opinion anyway . In the past I never had an issue stopping and starting gabapentin m but that was before benzos , so for me anyway it seems to have become a bit more complicated now... I don't anticipate that this will be my whole story though.

Like Begood, who is now having a very successful taper on her third try.... There's always a way. You have landed in an excellent group, stay here and you are ensured of great advice and guidance , and try not to add too much concern to your situation . Your taper could be easy!

Love, MiYu

This is my experience too... -and also with the similar lyrica... For simplicity, I just treat both as a benzo... I dont take them very often at all now days...

Wow this board is active! Thanks for the replies. Since I'm 5 wks into this cut, I'm going to hold for now. Just trying to settle on long hold vs updose for when/if this happens again. Good to hear from several experienced buddies that it's never too late to Updose.

I will work some planned holds into my taper too. Very interesting in the propaganda that feeling the urgency to hurry and go faster is actually a w/d sx. That is very insightful and that is exactly what I felt the 2 times I then ran into trouble in my Librium taper (now being one of them). I will now see that feeling as a signal to just wait a bit and cut slower. Thank you for that!

Healing thoughts to all!!

Wow this board is active! Thanks for the replies. Since I'm 5 wks into this cut, I'm going to hold for now. Just trying to settle on long hold vs updose for when/if this happens again. Good to hear from several experienced buddies that it's never too late to Updose.

I will work some planned holds into my taper too. Very interesting in the propaganda that feeling the urgency to hurry and go faster is actually a w/d sx. That is very insightful and that is exactly what I felt the 2 times I then ran into trouble in my Librium taper (now being one of them). I will now see that feeling as a signal to just wait a bit and cut slower. Thank you for that!

libr, isn't great when you have a light bulb moment, enjoy all you can and your Brain will be a happy camper and be so good to you. I only up dosed a couple of times, but minute doses for a a week or so of course not counting the first two that was huge up doses to be well but those had to be done, mostly the holds and a good taper plan is what worked for me now, allowing my Brain to catch up the cutting. Stay Strong :thumbsup:

That urge to cut faster is very hard to shake off sometimes. Every time I give into it I pay with worse sxs lol.  :)--V

Love, MiYu

Agreeing with Miyu. I'm on gabapentin for Restless Leg Syndrome and neuropathy spikes. I would say approach any drug with caution.

I've been on it for ten years and wanted to wait till I got of benzos to tackle that withdrawl. What do you all guys think? Thx for being so supportive.

Magnesium needs the be tapered?

I think you asked abt magnesium. Yes, for me, it was basically the same as a benzo and I tapered it the same way and it was rough at times w/ all kinds of sxs. There is thread on this under alternative therapies - titles anxiety rebound from magnesium or something like that. Many users have had a similar experience but then again others have had no issues w/ it.... Kinda like w/ benzos I guess.

Love, MiYu

I've been on it for ten years and wanted to wait till I got of benzos to tackle that withdrawl. What do you all guys think? Thx for being so supportive.

Oh ok Hope..... I too have been on it nightly for probably 8 or 9 years, at various doses . Before that it was sporadic , as needed. Mostly i took 300 , but during my steroid fiasco I had to take 900 mgs as my restless legs got really bad .

Now i take 390 mgs ( I cut 10 mgs out a month or so ago, hence the odd number ). I probably should have waited to reduce it , but I just felt like I didn't need 900 mgs anymore , but who knows . I cut 150 mgs with hardly any symptoms . And then I've just cut 10 or 20 mgs here and there . For now I'm leaving it where it is until I'm well finished with my Valium taper , unless I get some info somewhere that it would be best to come off it first .

What are you taking it for? Is it a medical condition you still have , if you feel like disclosing ....

My feeling ,seeing  as you've only been on benzos such a short time , I would go for coming off them first .... But that's just my non professional opinion and what I think i would do , knowing what I now  know about benzos and WD .

Get stable as the buddies say here , and then you can start a taper plan ...

Love, MiYu

Love, MiYu

I think most taper the benzo first but I don't have much knowledge regarding being on both. I've been on gabapentin and lyrical in the past but not,for long and not in combination with benzos. Im sure you'll do the right thing for you.  :)--V

Ok , so today is really rough .... One of the worst ...How is that possible ? I was doing better before ,and now worse . So hard to accept these changes and crazy unpredictability . I've been short of breath all morning, that's a new  one and scary. Terrible low back pain and weakness. Feel like I've gone back into intense WDs , and no cuts, no changes  . The nature of the beast?

Oh well, I know there's not much more to be said . Im tempted to updose, but would rather not . I'll try and hang on til the end of the month and hope things improve . For a while there I was doing better , and felt Like I was gradually improving , and now this setback  :(

I know this happens post taper , so I guess no reason why it shouldn't happen during a taper . If you don't mind my language , it's a MF , or I could disguise that comment as a MTHFR issue  :D

Though what I actually mean is to do with the mind  :tickedoff:

Love,  MiYu

Ok , so today is really rough .... One of the worst ...How is that possible ? I was doing better before ,and now worse . So hard to accept these changes and crazy unpredictability . I've been short of breath all morning, that's a new  one and scary. Terrible low back pain and weakness. Feel like I've gone back into intense WDs , and no cuts, no changes  . The nature of the beast?

Oh well, I know there's not much more to be said . Im tempted to updose, but would rather not . I'll try and hang on til the end of the month and hope things improve . For a while there I was doing better , and felt Like I was gradually improving , and now this setback  :(

I know this happens post taper , so I guess no reason why it shouldn't happen during a taper . If you don't mind my language , it's a MF , or I could disguise that comment as a MTHFR issue  :D

Love,  MiYu

I'm sorry about the setback MiYu. The nonlinear nature of this is enough to drive a person insane. Eventually sxs should start to fade IMO. Hang in there! :)--V

Does magnesium help when th anxiety during withdrawl?

I haven't noticed much relief from magnesium during my taper. I took it for a while but didn't see much difference in sxs so I just try to get it from food now. That doesn't mean it won't help others though.  :)--V

MiYu you have been holding my for 7 months right?

Hope .... I have cut 1/4 mg Valium during the 7 months , by testing here and ther to see my response to a cut. I might have been better off not doing that but who knows? It is so nonlinear this process, it's hard to predict anything , so , my strategy is to not do anything to see if I can stabilize , feel some kind of ' baseline' where even if I have some symptoms , I'm not up and down and having  really bad days.....

Once I feel stable , I will try again , but now , stable for me will mean no really bad days for a month or two or more ... I will see when I get there !

Love,  MiYu

I'm sorry about the setback MiYu. The nonlinear nature of this is enough to drive a person insane. Eventually sxs should start to fade IMO. Hang in there! :)--V

Thank you so much Valley, you are always so encouraging ,

Love, MiYu

Ps the Shortness of breath went away... That's a relief .... I had a rough night , I felt like I was detoxing

MiYu you have been holding my for 7 months right?

Hope .... I have cut 1/4 mg Valium during the 7 months , by testing here and ther to see my response to a cut. I might have been better off not doing that but who knows? It is so nonlinear this process, it's hard to predict anything , so , my strategy is to not do anything to see if I can stabilize , feel some kind of ' baseline' where even if I have some symptoms , I'm not up and down and having  really bad days.....

Once I feel stable , I will try again , but now , stable for me will mean no really bad days for a month or two or more ... I will see when I get there !

That's how I feel

Miyu,  :hug:  Cyber hugs!

Thank you Gard.. :smitten:. Feeling a bit better this evening , I think I do get side effects from the Valium , especially gastrointestinal stuff that really bothers me, and I never like how I feel after I take it. So tapering it I don't think will ever be simple for me. I don't get the fatigue anymore , but I definitely react to it .

How are you doing?

:hug:

Love, MiYu

Hi, Miyu. Had a really, really rough couple of weeks due to family issues and travels (not far, but anything outside of my town is far for me). Had to cope with some very negative, demeaning people every day. I knew it, but it had to be done. My sleep was a mess!

Feeling better now and have resumed my taper. It's painful but not impossible so far. Have been trying very hard to take care of myself. Going for walks when I can. Trying to eat better. Most importantly, trying to do some form of meditation every day.

I would really like to be able to taper at 10%, but that's probably not realistic. Being careful to start slowly, around 3%, and inch up. I haven't quite figured out this slow benzo. My first taper was from Xanax. So, now waiting a week or more to see how each cut feels. Annoyingly, I cannot figure out a pattern of cut-to-symptoms time lag. :tickedoff:

I'm hoping that the very long hold I did will allow me to taper and function. Was pretty much nonfunctional before my hold.

I made the mistake of doing some math the other day. Yikes! Will be retired before I'm off these drugs! So I decided to just think of one capsule at a time rather than all of them.

One day closer to freedom! :thumbsup:

Gard :smitten:

Hi, Miyu. Had a really, really rough couple of weeks due to family issues and travels (not far, but anything outside of my town is far for me). Had to cope with some very negative, demeaning people every day. I knew it, but it had to be done. My sleep was a mess!

Feeling better now and have resumed my taper. It's painful but not impossible so far. Have been trying very hard to take care of myself. Going for walks when I can. Trying to eat better. Most importantly, trying to do some form of meditation every day.

I would really like to be able to taper at 10%, but that's probably not realistic. Being careful to start slowly, around 3%, and inch up. I haven't quite figured out this slow benzo. My first taper was from Xanax. So, now waiting a week or more to see how each cut feels. Annoyingly, I cannot figure out a pattern of cut-to-symptoms time lag. :tickedoff:

I'm hoping that the very long hold I did will allow me to taper and function. Was pretty much nonfunctional before my hold.

I made the mistake of doing some math the other day. Yikes! Will be retired before I'm off these drugs! So I decided to just think of one capsule at a time rather than all of them.

The sloth is cutting!  :clap:

I hope the stress has died down and that your taper goes smoothly. Some day we'll look back at this and be so glad we're off.  :)--V

The sloth is cutting!  :clap:

I hope the stress has died down and that your taper goes smoothly. Some day we'll look back at this and be so glad we're off.  :)--V

[glow=red,2,300]"AMEN"[/glow] Can't wait for that day for sure. :)

[2d...]