Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Lynn,

Thank You for that answer. Solid, reasonable guideline. This helps me tremendously because of my new realization that dlmt does not mean EVERY day.

[71...]

Hi Lynn33,

Thanks for your take on this matter. 

I've seen some members post "holds don't help" and they may not help everyone.  I've also known members to report they didn't help after holding only a week or two,, then they cut and got worse.  So yes, I agree many don't hold long enough.  There's a long time member on here who, in regards to holding,  likes to quote the late Reg Peart  who famously said holds don't work for longer than 3 weeks.  With all due respect to Peart's legacy, I completely disagree with his opinion, as I know many here do on this thread and forum.  I know those who counsel thousands of people on benzo w/d over in the U.K. strongly disprove of it, as well.

IMO, the damage that can be done cutting too fast far outweighs what can be done if a "hold doesn't work." New members of this deserve to be educated about the value of slowly tapering according to the body, and holding when necessary.  Ideally, if one tapers slowly enough, holds wouldn't be necessary, but, alas, many of us aren't so lucky.

I'm having a lot of cog fog right now so I hope my comment made sense.  Thanks for keeping this important discussion going. 👍🏼

Hi Lynn33,

I've seen some members post "holds don't help" and they may not help everyone.  I've also known members to report they didn't help after holding only a week or two,, then they cut and got worse.  So yes, I agree many don't hold long enough.  There's a long time member on here who, in regards to holding,  likes to quote the late Reg Peart  who famously said holds don't work for longer than 3 weeks.  With all due respect to Peart's legacy, I completely disagree with his opinion, as I know many here do on this thread and forum.  I know those who counsel thousands of people on benzo w/d over in the U.K. strongly disprove of it, as well.

IMO, the damage that can be done cutting too fast far outweighs what can be done if a "hold doesn't work." New members of this deserve to be educated about the value of slowly tapering according to the body, and holding when necessary.  Ideally, if one tapers slowly enough, holds wouldn't be necessary, but, alas, many of us aren't so lucky.

I'm having a lot of cog fog right now so I hope my comment made sense.  Thanks for keeping this important discussion going. 👍🏼

Yes we must keep saying our thoughts it is important, even if it is only a handful of buddies that stop and listen.  :thumbsup:

[71...]

Hi Lynn33,

Yes we must keep saying our thoughts it is important, even if it is only a handful of buddies that stop and listen.  :thumbsup:

No kidding begood!  Change won't happen unless we speak up and out! 

Hello all

About ten days ago on this thread there was a discussion going on about melatonin and controlled release melatonin. I also read somewhere, it might have been here but I'm not sure, that less is more when it comes to the effects of melatonin on sleep.

I was taking 3mg of melatonin about one hour before bedtime, but I decided to take only 1 1/2 mg from now on.

Well I am sleeping 9 hours on some nights now! And my other nights are around 6 hours. My sleep is still erratic but it is definitely better.

Sometimes I even get so sleepy during the day that I have a good nap!

I still have an occasional 3 1/2 hour night, but it's rare.

This is strange but I look at it as either the portion of my brain that controls sleep patterns as going through some kind of extra healing. Or I wonder if it's the decreased dose of melatonin?

I think mostly it's the decreased melatonin, even if  "less is more" doesnt make sense to me, but I'm not a scientist!

So whoever started the discussion on melatonin, THANK YOU!

Heath

PS

I am still trying to find the sustained control ( time released) melatonin but I can't find any with the USP secure supplement label. I won't take any supplements unless they have that label. That label means that it has been checked by the FDA and it really does contain what the label says it contains and it is safe.

I saw a tv show on supplements and how in the USA  most of the supplements are NOT regulated and a major portion of supplements do not really do what they say and do not contain what they say they do and are at best a waste of money. Some can actually harm you.  So if you take supplements, and I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there, just be sure that you know what you are taking and it's from a reputable company.

I checked the supplements I get from Costco. "Kirkland " brand. They all have the USP label and so do most "NatureMade" brand.  Just saying I trust those brands.

Hello all

About ten days ago on this thread there was a discussion going on about melatonin and controlled release melatonin. I also read somewhere, it might have been here but I'm not sure, that less is more when it comes to the effects of melatonin on sleep.

I was taking 3mg of melatonin about one hour before bedtime, but I decided to take only 1 1/2 mg from now on.

Well I am sleeping 9 hours on some nights now! And my other nights are around 6 hours. My sleep is still erratic but it is definitely better.

Sometimes I even get so sleepy during the day that I have a good nap!

I still have an occasional 3 1/2 hour night, but it's rare.

This is strange but I look at it as either the portion of my brain that controls sleep patterns as going through some kind of extra healing. Or I wonder if it's the decreased dose of melatonin?

I think mostly it's the decreased melatonin, even if  "less is more" doesnt make sense to me, but I'm not a scientist!

So whoever started the discussion on melatonin, THANK YOU!

Heath

PS

I am still trying to find the sustained control ( time released) melatonin but I can't find any with the USP secure supplement label. I won't take any supplements unless they have that label. That label means that it has been checked by the FDA and it really does contain what the label says it contains and it is safe.

I saw a tv show on supplements and how in the USA  most of the supplements are NOT regulated and a major portion of supplements do not really do what they say and do not contain what they say they do and are at best a waste of money. Some can actually harm you.  So if you take supplements, and I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there, just be sure that you know what you are taking and it's from a reputable company.

I checked the supplements I get from Costco. "Kirkland " brand. They all have the USP label and so do most "NatureMade" brand.  Just saying I trust those brands.

Hi Heath. That's awesome your getting good sleep!  :thumbsup:

In my research of melatonin, the sustained release melatonin is not recommended. I'm not sure why but the health gurus warn against it. I use the Sundown sublingual brand from Amazon. It has worked the best for me and I've tried several different brands.  :)--V

Have people held for months and their fatigue and insomnia improved? Plus how do you make a signature?

Have people held for months and their fatigue and insomnia improved? Plus how do you make a signature?

Hi Hope. Yes. My fatigue and insomnia resolved during a 6 month hold.

To create a signature go to the top of the page where it says Home, Help, Search, etc and click on the profile button. Then click on forum profile. You then scroll to the bottom of the page where it says signature and that's where you create it.  :)--V

[71...]

Hope, you can go select profile at the top of your screen, select it then you should be able to scroll down to a signature box where you can fill in your signature.

My insomnia improved greatly with a hold.  I no longer have it, although if I taper too fast I know it will reappear.  My stamina has increased, although I still have fatigue and except I will to some degree until I recover.  You have every reason to believe these two symptoms will lessen. 

Hi Hope. Yes. My fatigue and insomnia resolved during a 6 month hold.

To create a signature go to the top of the page where it says Home, Help, Search, etc and click on the profile button. Then click on forum profile. You then scroll to the bottom of the page where it says signature and that's where you create it.  :)--V

Thank you so much for all your help!

I have not been on site, since early am, but I will tell all, the oldies and the newbies, it is so comforting to have so many here sharing and helping each other, it does a Heart good to read the support and care each one of you give each other, we have no fighting or pushing a way here, we just all try to help one another. All Stay Strong and know that we are all here for each other. Just do the best you can each day, and for those who may question if they are healing as they go down, yes you are, as Valley and others here at BB has said, if we did not heal while going down there would be no need to taper....of course it does not diminish the hard times. I am so proud of each one of you that have chosen your path that will help you. As a Friend would say Onward an Upward!!! :thumbsup:

Thank you Begood .... I totally agree....so grateful for this great group.... :smitten:

Hope .... I'm really sorry this happened to you ..... Valium is very sedating in general , but it does wear off over time.

I hope you are able to stabilize quickly and have a benign taper .

MiYu  :smitten:

Hope .... I'm really sorry this happened to you ..... Valium is very sedating in general , but it does wear off over time.

I hope you are able to stabilize quickly and have a benign taper .

MiYu  :smitten:

Thank you so much for your support it means everything!

[glow=red,2,300]Welcome Hope,[/glow] While tapering I have had periods of fatigue, and it has since left, but it did not stay for a long time, and you know I may feel it again, but at least I know what is causing it. Stay Strong :thumbsup:

Hi hope,

Welcome to the group,

To answer your question,

I was in a bad way until I did a 3-4 month hold. My horrible wdsx went away, I stabilized , and my sleep got so much better. That was about 8 months ago. As time went on, I have stabilized very well, begun a very slow cut and hold taper, and my sleep gets better and better. The melatonin helps very much too.

Heath :thumbsup::)

V, thanks for the info on slow released melatonin. I was unsure of how it would work. I thought it might make me too sleepy when it was time to get up!

I yhink I'll stick to the 1 1/2 mg of regular melatonin,

Heath  :smitten:

V, thanks for the info on slow released melatonin. I was unsure of how it would work. I thought it might make me too sleepy when it was time to get up!

Heath glad you cut your dose in half and you are sleeping, I was the one that wanted to know about Melatonin, but after reading and realizing that I was sleeping fairly well, will put it on the back burner. You have come so far, be proud of what you have done, I know you never thought this would work, but you are doing well. Stay Strong :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I love this group!! Been with bb forum for 8 months. I feel a great connection here!!!

It's a great group and it's wonderful to have you here (and all the new buddies!).

I love this group!! Been with bb forum for 8 months. I feel a great connection here!!!

That is good to hear, this is indeed a great group, I think aligning with a group is a win win. This group has been special, it was floundering when OP left it, but Valley stepped in and so many other great buddies joined. Stay Strong. :thumbsup:

Heath glad you cut your dose in half and you are sleeping, I was the one that wanted to know about Melatonin, but after reading and realizing that I was sleeping fairly well, will put it on the back burner. You have come so far, be proud of what you have done, I know you never thought this would work, but you are doing well. Stay Strong :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

BEGOOD.  , you are so right. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be so low in my dose. Now I am almost down to one mg. That was my goal for a long time and I'm finally almost there. Soon I'll be able to set a new goal and go from there. You were so right when you said once you reach a "milestone", you will look back and realize that it really did not take as long as it seemed when you started towards your goal.

BEGOOD,    thanks so much for your great support in good times and difficult times. I think of  YOU.  as a great leader    along with.    VALLEYUM. I respect both of your knowledge, strength and experience, and the courage you display in the face of the difficulties that come along with benzo withdrawal.

As far as the melatonin goes, Ive done more research since yesterday. I may try to lower my dose even more if I can find a smaller dose that I can cut in half. Right now I am cutting a 3 mg pill in half. If I can find a 1mg pill, I'll try that, and then maybe cut that one in half too.

From what I read, it is not recommended to take melatonin continually. So soon I might try to take it maybe every other day, just to see what happens. I'll have to experiment and find my best option.

But yes I do believe I am doing well. I am grateful for that and for, you, Valley, and all the buddies here on the long hold support group.  I am so very lucky to have landed here. I never could have gotten where I am now without    ALL OF YOU!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap::hug:

Heath :smitten:

BEGOOD.  , you are so right. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be so low in my dose. Now I am almost down to one mg. That was my goal for a long time and I'm finally almost there. Soon I'll be able to set a new goal and go from there. You were so right when you said once you reach a "milestone", you will look back and realize that it really did not take as long as it seemed when you started towards your goal.

BEGOOD,    thanks so much for your great support in good times and difficult times. I think of  YOU.  as a great leader    along with.    VALLEYUM. I respect both of your knowledge, strength and experience, and the courage you display in the face of the difficulties that come along with benzo withdrawal.

As far as the melatonin goes, Ive done more research since yesterday. I may try to lower my dose even more if I can find a smaller dose that I can cut in half. Right now I am cutting a 3 mg pill in half. If I can find a 1mg pill, I'll try that, and then maybe cut that one in half too.

From what I read, it is not recommended to take melatonin continually. So soon I might try to take it maybe every other day, just to see what happens. I'll have to experiment and find my best option.

But yes I do believe I am doing well. I am grateful for that and for, you, Valley, and all the buddies here on the long hold support group.  I am so very lucky to have landed here. I never could have gotten where I am now without    ALL OF YOU!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap::hug:

Heath :smitten:

Happy for you Heath, and we are so lucky to have so many good hearted and smart buddies here willing to listen and help one another. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

[d1...]