Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Valley: That's so great! Very good to hear. I was doing well and then my feet started up again just before I was about to cut. And it's bad. Mostly at night, which is when I take my valium. I'm wearing compression socks  :-\ at night and taking lots of mag and B (which was working for a while) but OUCH--it's back and kind of bumming me out. I always worry it's something else going on. Easy to lose perspective at night. Anyway, good news that you are well! Where are you now in taper? Maybe I should go ahead and cut. I'm at 5.25.

Thanks BP!  I seem to be getting more energy as I cut as long as I go slow and make sure I'm ready each time. I'm pretty sure you're burning is from withdrawal. I always get some tingling in my legs and feet when I cut but nothing like last year. You may want to see if the burning subsides a little before cutting again.

I dont post often..and most days cant read here cause it ramps me up reading about all the pain and suffering but I go to my doc on Monday and need some input..some may know my story but if not i have been stuck at 2.75mg of klonopin for a yr this month..down from a micro taper of 4mgs 34yrs use..I am 58 now. After losing my son and mom within 9 days of each other 2 yrs this july..i only held a month before against my docs advice started my taper again..that jan. i started to get to where food felt like it was getting stuck then more and more things started to happen..then i lost down to 97lbs, my anxiety is off the charts still..i have to use a wheelchair when in big stores i have no strength..to many things going on to write here..but i am thinking about reinstating back to 4mgs to try and be able to grieve the loss of my son and mom, stabalize at some point and get back the wonderful life i had on 4mgs..i need some input on this as my doc will let me do me..before i started this taper i ran around 60 hrs a week..now i cant carry in a bag of groceries..have just started to drive again but cant go anywhere alone , and i am never left alone. I read on one of the groups yesterday i believe that they went back up to get some relief and it worked and they are not going to go down again..and i totally get that..i had a life on k..now i have no life..i can only swallow limited things..am tired of not being able to eat healthy cause i cant swallow fruits or anything that has a peel like a grape..so would love some input from all of you it would be much appreciated..and if any of you got relief from going back up please let me know..i cant do this anymore i need to get the life back for my family and myself that i had..i now have been diagnosed with SVT last june..and i get episodes from stress.

Please help me here..thanks <3

Hi Deep,

I often think of you. My heart goes out to you.  I am so sorry for what you are going through.  In my opinion, a dose correction might be in order.  You have been suffering for far too long, and your symptoms came on suddenly after cutting.  I know there are conflicting opinions on up doses.  Some are definitely against an up dose while others agree that a correction in dose (up dose) is sometimes warranted.  Up doses work for some people and don't work for others.  We are all different and we cannot solely base our decisions on the experiences of others. Although it does help to read about the experiences of others, it is up to an individual to decide on the best plan.

In your case, you have held for a very long time and you have tried cutting.  Neither has worked for you.  In my opinion, as long as your doctor is supportive of an up dose, I would try it.  If it were me, at this point, I would try anything including an up dose that many do not support. You are not undergoing simple withdrawal symptoms--these have affected your quality of life so that you are now in a wheelchair and cannot eat solid foods.

I up dosed and it worked for me.  Work is my first priority, and if it takes me a bit longer to get off the drug, then so be it.  I am not able to sit at home and recover from a taper with horrendous symptoms--I have to work.  I guess my point is this:  you have tried everything else and your health has deteriorated with no other.  Again, as long as your doctor and family are supportive, I think it would be worth trying.

You are in my thoughts.  I hope that you see some improvement soon.

Anne xoxox

Hi Annie, good to see you Post, been thinking of you a lot, I guess you are on spring break. Hope you are doing well. I just started my 10 day taper Wed the 23rd and so far doing well, still as slow as Moses, but so be it, I have decided just to hold for one month unless things should change. I am being more careful with my Brew and measurements. Have a wonderful Day My Friend. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks for your post V. I think I'll stick with the nutbutter and OJ for now. I don't like to take supplements unless absolutely have to.

Heath.

Heathcliff, below is a post I copied from Moodle a long time ago. It is a recipe for an Adrenal Cocktail which helps with the am cortisol surges. I add powdered Vitamin C to mine as it helps support the adrenal glands. I don't use as much potassium, just a pinch, but that is just me.

I used adrenal cocktail for the surges at night, one cup of fresh orange juice ( not from concentrate ). Then add 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt and 1/4 teaspoon cream or tartar.

HERE IS WHY:

Stress causes the adrenal glands to fire off adrenaline. This gives you a burst of energy to deal with stressful situations. Adrenaline also raises the heart rate, increases respiration, dilates the pupils, slows down digestion and causes muscles to contract. It’s like caffeine on steroids!

So if you are stressed or upset it can be impossible to fall asleep, but why does it always wake you up at 3am?

3am is when your liver regenerates. To do so, it needs glycogen. The problem is that adrenaline causes your cells to use up glycogen. So if you are often stressed, your body may not have enough glycogen for the liver to regenerate at 3am. If your liver cannot get the glycogen it needs, your adrenal glands will compensate by releasing adrenalin, which is why you are wide awake and ready for action, not exactly a state you want to be in at 3am.

WHY IT WORKS

The Adrenal Cocktail is made up of ingredients that replenish vital organs and stabilize glucose levels.

-Fresh squeezed orange juice gives the liver glucose it needs to regenerate.

-Cream of tartar is high in potassium, an element that is essential for the sodium/potassium balance in cells, vital organs (liver), muscles, nerves, and the digestive system.

-Himalayan salt, contains 84 essential minerals and elements found in the human body, helping feed the adrenals and refresh body’s the sodium/potassium pump.

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure if it's better than toast and raw honey and the almond butter .

I'd say the raw honey would do the trick for glucose . I'm not sure about the kind of salt used in your almond butter. The pink Himalayan so salt is recommended due to the minerals in it.

Wishing All peace and healing, Left

Thanks Left...

Is there a particular timing involved for this... I am wide awake and feel energised after dark, usually until it starts getting light in the AM...  -Then I sleep, say 6-7hrs, but am still fatigued until it starts to get dark.. I used to try to force the sleep, but it never worked, so I embraced it... on occasion i can sleep from say 3am, but more 4-5am... Its nuts...

I eat lots of bee pollen and pink salt, but do lack in vit C.... -perhaps i get a bit from my cranberry juice?? -but no particular timing to when i consume these...

Am just getting to the point where im not just eating anything to just survive, and can increase simple whole foods, organic and raw or steamed where possible... It is helping, even if its just mental atm...

Any thoughts would be great, if possible... Thanks..

:)

I had sleep patterns similar to yours. They are a little better now, but not by much. I still feel toxic in the mornings and afternoon...much much, better at night. For me, I believe it's caused by stress hormones as my body tries to adjust to lower amounts of Valium. Nutrition through food is always the best way to go if possible. Here's a link to the foods highest in Vitamin C:

https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vitamin-C.php

I'm taking about 4-6 grams of Vitamin C a day, which I can't get through diet alone, thus the reason for supplementing. Here's an old BB thread on Vitamin C and cortisol. Post 200 explains the reasons for the adrenal cocktail, and post 209 talks about Vitamin C, the immune system and detoxification of the body.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=84996.200

As always, do what is best for you.  :)

P.S.: most people take this at night...around 9:00 or 10:00 pm

Hi Begood!!

Thank you.  I am doing well.  Our spring break was last week.  It was nice to just to be at home and relax even though it was cold and snowy.  I have been slowly tapering.  Like you, I cut for several days and then hold for a while.  It will take a long time to get off this last 0.204 mg, but I am okay with that as long as the symptoms are manageable. 

It sounds like you are doing very well with your taper.  You are at such a low dosage now!!  Your patience has certainly paid off.  Slow is the key to tip toeing off of these drugs.  I hope you are enjoying the day!!  It is so good to hear from you.

Anne  :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks for your post V. I think I'll stick with the nutbutter and OJ for now. I don't like to take supplements unless absolutely have to.

Heath.

Heathcliff, below is a post I copied from Moodle a long time ago. It is a recipe for an Adrenal Cocktail which helps with the am cortisol surges. I add powdered Vitamin C to mine as it helps support the adrenal glands. I don't use as much potassium, just a pinch, but that is just me.

I used adrenal cocktail for the surges at night, one cup of fresh orange juice ( not from concentrate ). Then add 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt and 1/4 teaspoon cream or tartar.

HERE IS WHY:

Stress causes the adrenal glands to fire off adrenaline. This gives you a burst of energy to deal with stressful situations. Adrenaline also raises the heart rate, increases respiration, dilates the pupils, slows down digestion and causes muscles to contract. It’s like caffeine on steroids!

So if you are stressed or upset it can be impossible to fall asleep, but why does it always wake you up at 3am?

3am is when your liver regenerates. To do so, it needs glycogen. The problem is that adrenaline causes your cells to use up glycogen. So if you are often stressed, your body may not have enough glycogen for the liver to regenerate at 3am. If your liver cannot get the glycogen it needs, your adrenal glands will compensate by releasing adrenalin, which is why you are wide awake and ready for action, not exactly a state you want to be in at 3am.

WHY IT WORKS

The Adrenal Cocktail is made up of ingredients that replenish vital organs and stabilize glucose levels.

-Cream of tartar is high in potassium, an element that is essential for the sodium/potassium balance in cells, vital organs (liver), muscles, nerves, and the digestive system.

-Himalayan salt, contains 84 essential minerals and elements found in the human body, helping feed the adrenals and refresh body’s the sodium/potassium pump.

Hope that helps.

I'd say the raw honey would do the trick for glucose . I'm not sure about the kind of salt used in your almond butter. The pink Himalayan so salt is recommended due to the minerals in it.

Thanks Left...

Is there a particular timing involved for this... I am wide awake and feel energised after dark, usually until it starts getting light in the AM...  -Then I sleep, say 6-7hrs, but am still fatigued until it starts to get dark.. I used to try to force the sleep, but it never worked, so I embraced it... on occasion i can sleep from say 3am, but more 4-5am... Its nuts...

I eat lots of bee pollen and pink salt, but do lack in vit C.... -perhaps i get a bit from my cranberry juice?? -but no particular timing to when i consume these...

Am just getting to the point where im not just eating anything to just survive, and can increase simple whole foods, organic and raw or steamed where possible... It is helping, even if its just mental atm...

I had sleep patterns similar to yours. They are a little better now, but not by much. I still feel toxic in the mornings and afternoon...much much, better at night. For me, I believe it's caused by stress hormones as my body tries to adjust to lower amounts of Valium. Nutrition through food is always the best way to go if possible. Here's a link to the foods highest in Vitamin C:

I'm taking about 4-6 grams of Vitamin C a day, which I can't get through diet alone, thus the reason for supplementing. Here's an old BB thread on Vitamin C and cortisol. Post 200 explains the reasons for the adrenal cocktail, and post 209 talks about Vitamin C, the immune system and detoxification of the body.

Thank you so much for taking the time Left Behind, much appreciated.... Toxic is a fitting word...

Hi Begood!!

Thank you.  I am doing well.  Our spring break was last week.  It was nice to just to be at home and relax even though it was cold and snowy.  I have been slowly tapering.  Like you, I cut for several days and then hold for a while.  It will take a long time to get off this last 0.204 mg, but I am okay with that as long as the symptoms are manageable. 

It sounds like you are doing very well with your taper.  You are at such a low dosage now!!  Your patience has certainly paid off.  Slow is the key to tip toeing off of these drugs.  I hope you are enjoying the day!!  It is so good to hear from you.

Hi Anne! Good to see you here. I hope you had a really wonderful Spring Break.  :hug:

Gard :smitten:

Hi Begood!!

Hi Anne! Good to see you here. I hope you had a really wonderful Spring Break.  :hug:

Gard :smitten:

Hi Gard,

Yes, the break was great.  It was cold and snowy which made for a good excuse to just cuddle up on the couch.

I hope all is well with you!!  Enjoy the rest of the day.

Anne x  :smitten: :smitten:

Six days into muy updose and I'm finally feeling good.  Yay!  Hope it lasts. :)

That is wonderful news George.  Sometimes and up dose is necessary if one needs to remain functional. 

Anne

That is wonderful news George.  Sometimes and up dose is necessary if one needs to remain functional. 

Anne

Thanks, I'm encouraged.  Updosing is kind of an nerve wracking decision.

Anne

Thanks, I'm encouraged.  Updosing is kind of an nerve wracking decision.

So happy to hear this, George. :)

I just found this from a post made by Pereverance buddy, relative to cortisol and insomnia-

he results of a study using a time released pharmaceutical Melatonin (Circadin) to help people get off benzos and Z drugs published in 2013 showed favorable results:

Contribution of prolonged-release melatonin and anti-benzodiazepine campaigns to the reduction of benzodiazepine and Z-drugs consumption in nine European countries.

Clay E, Falissard B, Moore N, Toumi M.

Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2013 Apr;69(4):1-10. doi: 10.1007/s00228-012-1424-1. Epub 2012 Nov 1. PMID:23114457

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3610030/pdf/228_2012_Article_1424.pdf

The product, PR Melatonin, was later given the brand name ‘Circadin.’  It was later studied for insomnia in patients 55 and older where it also showed good results:

Prolonged-release melatonin improves sleep quality and morning alertness in insomnia patients aged 55 years and older and has no withdrawal effects.

Lemoine P, Nir T, Laudon M, Zisapel N.

J Sleep Res. 2007 Dec;16(4):372-80. PMID:18036082

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2869.2007.00613.x/full

This study referred to the fact that elevated cortisol levels can result in insomnia and suggested that Circadin may help improve cortisol rhythm irregularity:

”Another explanation relates to the effects of PR-melatonin on the cortisol rhythm. Elevation of plasma cortisol impairs sleep in middle-aged but not younger adults (Vgontzas et al., 2001). Elevated nocturnal plasma and urinary cortisol levels correlated with impaired sleep in patients with severe primary insomnia (Rodenbeck et al., 1998). Exploratory studies in patients with insomnia aged 55 years and older, suggested that administration of PR-melatonin in the evening was able to rectify the early onset cortisol production (Zisapel et al., 2005). This delay in nocturnal cortisol onset may explain in part the improvement in sleep quality and morning alertness in elderly patients with insomnia.”

Here is link to more information regarding Circadin you can look over if you wish to discuss this with your doctor:

http://www.circadin.com/

Thanks for the link V,

I had been looking for the Seriphos for months but gave up as everywhere I looked it said they were out of stock and they didn't know if they were going to be getting any more in.

Do you think this would help with daytime anxiety and agoraphobia. I've been holding for a couple of months and I am still not getting much relief. Long story short I CT from Wellbutrin almost ten months ago at which time I increased my benzo to help control the anxiety. That didn't really work and then about four months after the CT I stopped getting any windows. Since then I have had daily anxiety and agoraphobia. The intensity has waves but it never goes away. At this point I'm desperate for anything to help.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

I'm so happy that you are starting to feel better.

Hugs and healing to all.

Thanks MiYu and Gardner!  :smitten:

MiYu, Also thanks for the info about time released melatonin.  I never heard of that.  It's very interesting!

Thanks for the link V,

I had been looking for the Seriphos for months but gave up as everywhere I looked it said they were out of stock and they didn't know if they were going to be getting any more in.

Do you think this would help with daytime anxiety and agoraphobia. I've been holding for a couple of months and I am still not getting much relief. Long story short I CT from Wellbutrin almost ten months ago at which time I increased my benzo to help control the anxiety. That didn't really work and then about four months after the CT I stopped getting any windows. Since then I have had daily anxiety and agoraphobia. The intensity has waves but it never goes away. At this point I'm desperate for anything to help.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

I'm so happy that you are starting to feel better.

Hugs and healing to all.

I'm not sure what it would do for anxiety and agoraphobia. I would imagine they are anxiety related though so it might help.  :)--V

Great News George and good to hear that things are looking up for you, baby steps that become bigger steps, Accept this wonderful time and be worry free and just be. :smitten::thumbsup::smitten:

ATU, how are you doing now that you have settled back in from your trip?. Hope all is going well for you and know we are thinking of you. Stay Strong. :smitten::thumbsup::smitten:

Heath.

HERE IS WHY:

WHY IT WORKS

Hope that helps.

Thanks Left...

Thank you so much for taking the time Left Behind, much appreciated.... Toxic is a fitting word...

Thanks so much leftbehind. I'll add the vitamin C to the OJ, but I'm a bit apprehensive about the cream of tarter and the potassium. I am on restricted salt so the hymalayan salt also is a bit scary  for me too. I'll ask my doc before I try those. But thanks for  taking the time to explain it to me. I understand now what is does and how it helps the surges in the mornings.

Heath

Heath.

HERE IS WHY:

WHY IT WORKS

Hope that helps.

Thanks Left...

Thanks so much leftbehind. I'll add the vitamin C to the OJ, but I'm a bit apprehensive about the cream of tarter and the potassium. I am on restricted salt so the hymalayan salt also is a bit scary  for me too. I'll ask my doc before I try those. But thanks for  taking the time to explain it to me. I understand now what is does and how it helps the surges in the mornings.

Heath

I understand the apprehension. Yes, please check with you doctor first. :thumbsup: I only use a pinch of the cream of tartar myself, and I double up on the Himalayan Pink Salt because my sodium runs low. 

well, there goes another day of distraction, lost on google in a productive kinda way...

one thing I found was this Kakadu Plumb, when looking up the Davidson Plumb, which we have up the back in the forest, and is interesting also...

http://austsuperfoods.com.au/superfoods/kakadu-plum/

Anyone looking for a vitamin supplement from a natural source may be interested.... It is said to be the highest plant source in the world....

Thanks Left and everyone, you all make a rotten situation much better than it could be...

[8f...]