Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

I want a pet chicken, too! Landlord says nothing but a hamster.  :'(

Hamsters are great! You should get one.

308a8eed88f530fbcb366436c937c1a8.jpg

I have a hamster. Looks just like that (minus the swing). I still want chickens!  :'(

On the other hand, BG has never had an urge to eat a hamster.

I've had several hamsters. We let them run around the house because they always came back to the cage. Unfortunately the cat got one of them because I thought she was out... but she wasn't.

BG might want to try hamster soup. If she likes it, Cookie will be safe.  :laugh:

This was taken from a book I own called the Mood Cure by Julia Ross. It has been a good resource for detoxing.  :)--V

Cortisol is the primary stress-response hormone produced by the adrenal glands. It is highly energizing. In some vulnerable detoxers SSRI withdrawal triggers an abnormal cortisol surge that exacerbates anxiety and insomnia. (This can happen during withdrawal from other drugs as well)

The primary stress-response hormone produced by your adrenal glands is called cortisol. It is even more potent in some ways than adrenaline, but at normal levels it is not agitating, rather it is strengthening. It's your wake-up-and-tackle-life's-challenges hormone. Cortisol levels are supposed to be highest in the morning and lowest between about midnight and 4:00AM. If levels are too high, you'll feel wired, tense and hyper-vigilant. Our cortisol levels always rise above the normal level to help us cope with severe stress. This can happen, for example, during a divorce or as a reaction to withdrawal from medications, like benzodiazepines or antidepressants, often causing severe agitation and insomnia. Cortisol levels should return to normal after the stress is relieved, but sometimes chronic stress goes on for so long that the adrenals make a permanent adaptation to a new, hyper level of cortisol production. Eventually, our adrenals can become so exhausted by this constant demand for extreme cortisol production that they are no longer able to produce even moderate levels. Their cortisol output can drop too low throughout the day, especially in the late afternoon. This can be experienced as a sudden crash or a gradually increasing fatigue. But, surprisingly often, 1 - 5 AM cortisol surges persist for years, causing chronic insomnia.

Testing:

Whether you are in sudden or chronic over-stress. A simple one-day (4-sample) home saliva test will reveal your bedtime and early morning cortisol levels as well as your mid-morning and late afternoon levels. See the Adrenal Tool Kit, for details on testing the levels of this vital indicator. If you wake up between 1:00 a.m. and 5:00a.m., ask for an extra (fifth) test vial. The reference range should be the same or lower than the bedtime range.

Sleep disturbance:

If cortisol levels are too high at night, instead of very low, as they're supposed to be, you'll be kept up too late with a "second wind." Or your cortisol levels could rise too high early in the morning and wake you up prematurely. Or you could wake up between 2:00 and 4:00AM and not be able to get back to sleep easily. Are you a night owl? Testing may show that your cortisol is above normal levels between 10:00PM and midnight when it should be dropping to allow you to get to sleep.

Remedies for mood or sleep problems caused by elevated cortisol:

If you are a night owl, a supplement containing a cortisol-regulating nutrient called phosphorylated serine (brand name Seriphos, this is not the more readily available phosphotidyl serine), taken before dinner (approximately four-six hours before bedtime), should get you to sleep.

If you wake up between 2:00 and 4:00AM take Seriphos at bedtime (by 10:00PM), 4-6 hours before you would typically wake up in the early morning. If you have trouble getting to sleep and you wake up between 2:00 and 4:00AM, take one capsule before dinner and two by 10:00PM. Seriphos encourages your pituitary gland to stop sending the order to your adrenals for more cortisol production. After a month or so, this normalized message should be permanently re-programmed, and you should not need any more Seriphos. Caution: Do not take Seriphos for more than three months total. Take a break for at least 24 hours after each month's use (as per bottle directions).

A second solution: A quicker-acting supplement called hydrolyzed casein or lactium (e.g., De-Stress by Biotics or "Womens Anti Stress Formula" by Swansons) has calming effects on the brain that were originally researched in France. Take 75-150 mg. whenever your cortisol is elevated, day or night. It seems to work best if you are also taking Seriphos.

Remedies for day-time mood disturbances caused by elevated cortisol: The same two supplements may be usede to lower daytime cortisol levels. Take Seriphos (1-3) hours before your test shows abnormally high cortisol elevation. Take a lactium when your test shows that a cortisol elevation is occurring (you actually feel more agitated then).

Hi V,

I couldn't find the Seriphos anywhere. It appears they have quit making it. I really struggle with high anxiety all day and hypersensitivity that has caused severe agoraphobia and was hoping that this might help. I do have the Lactium but I already take it three times a day. One at bed time, one when I wake up around 4:00am and one when I get up in the morning. It seemed to help a little when I first started taking it but now I'm back to where I was.

Have you tried this method and did it help you?

Thanks,

Hugs and healing

This was taken from a book I own called the Mood Cure by Julia Ross. It has been a good resource for detoxing.  :)--V

Cortisol is the primary stress-response hormone produced by the adrenal glands. It is highly energizing. In some vulnerable detoxers SSRI withdrawal triggers an abnormal cortisol surge that exacerbates anxiety and insomnia. (This can happen during withdrawal from other drugs as well)

The primary stress-response hormone produced by your adrenal glands is called cortisol. It is even more potent in some ways than adrenaline, but at normal levels it is not agitating, rather it is strengthening. It's your wake-up-and-tackle-life's-challenges hormone. Cortisol levels are supposed to be highest in the morning and lowest between about midnight and 4:00AM. If levels are too high, you'll feel wired, tense and hyper-vigilant. Our cortisol levels always rise above the normal level to help us cope with severe stress. This can happen, for example, during a divorce or as a reaction to withdrawal from medications, like benzodiazepines or antidepressants, often causing severe agitation and insomnia. Cortisol levels should return to normal after the stress is relieved, but sometimes chronic stress goes on for so long that the adrenals make a permanent adaptation to a new, hyper level of cortisol production. Eventually, our adrenals can become so exhausted by this constant demand for extreme cortisol production that they are no longer able to produce even moderate levels. Their cortisol output can drop too low throughout the day, especially in the late afternoon. This can be experienced as a sudden crash or a gradually increasing fatigue. But, surprisingly often, 1 - 5 AM cortisol surges persist for years, causing chronic insomnia.

Testing:

Whether you are in sudden or chronic over-stress. A simple one-day (4-sample) home saliva test will reveal your bedtime and early morning cortisol levels as well as your mid-morning and late afternoon levels. See the Adrenal Tool Kit, for details on testing the levels of this vital indicator. If you wake up between 1:00 a.m. and 5:00a.m., ask for an extra (fifth) test vial. The reference range should be the same or lower than the bedtime range.

Sleep disturbance:

If cortisol levels are too high at night, instead of very low, as they're supposed to be, you'll be kept up too late with a "second wind." Or your cortisol levels could rise too high early in the morning and wake you up prematurely. Or you could wake up between 2:00 and 4:00AM and not be able to get back to sleep easily. Are you a night owl? Testing may show that your cortisol is above normal levels between 10:00PM and midnight when it should be dropping to allow you to get to sleep.

If you are a night owl, a supplement containing a cortisol-regulating nutrient called phosphorylated serine (brand name Seriphos, this is not the more readily available phosphotidyl serine), taken before dinner (approximately four-six hours before bedtime), should get you to sleep.

If you wake up between 2:00 and 4:00AM take Seriphos at bedtime (by 10:00PM), 4-6 hours before you would typically wake up in the early morning. If you have trouble getting to sleep and you wake up between 2:00 and 4:00AM, take one capsule before dinner and two by 10:00PM. Seriphos encourages your pituitary gland to stop sending the order to your adrenals for more cortisol production. After a month or so, this normalized message should be permanently re-programmed, and you should not need any more Seriphos. Caution: Do not take Seriphos for more than three months total. Take a break for at least 24 hours after each month's use (as per bottle directions).

A second solution: A quicker-acting supplement called hydrolyzed casein or lactium (e.g., De-Stress by Biotics or "Womens Anti Stress Formula" by Swansons) has calming effects on the brain that were originally researched in France. Take 75-150 mg. whenever your cortisol is elevated, day or night. It seems to work best if you are also taking Seriphos.

Remedies for day-time mood disturbances caused by elevated cortisol: The same two supplements may be usede to lower daytime cortisol levels. Take Seriphos (1-3) hours before your test shows abnormally high cortisol elevation. Take a lactium when your test shows that a cortisol elevation is occurring (you actually feel more agitated then).

Hi V,

I couldn't find the Seriphos anywhere. It appears they have quit making it. I really struggle with high anxiety all day and hypersensitivity that has caused severe agoraphobia and was hoping that this might help. I do have the Lactium but I already take it three times a day. One at bed time, one when I wake up around 4:00am and one when I get up in the morning. It seemed to help a little when I first started taking it but now I'm back to where I was.

Have you tried this method and did it help you?

Thanks,

Hugs and healing

Hi tntd. I used seriphos when my adrenals shut down but haven't used it during withdrawal as I have t had much anxiety or trouble sleeping. You can find seriphos here:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Seriphos

Testing:

Sleep disturbance:

Thanks Valley for placing this for us, great job of keeping Our Great Thread going. I do not eat mice or anything that slithers thank you, ::) and [glow=red,2,300]"SWEET COOKIE", "MY BESTIE" IS SAFE FOR NOW..... >:D:angel:>:D.[/glow]  

Thanks for your post V. I think I'll stick with the nutbutter and OJ for now. I don't like to take supplements unless absolutely have to.

Heath.

Thanks for your post V. I think I'll stick with the nutbutter and OJ for now. I don't like to take supplements unless absolutely have to.

Heath.

I think that is a good choice, V was just giving alternatives and I wanted to know more about adrenal surges, you are going to be fine, remember thinking it will boost you even further. You got this Heath, take your time, accept and have no fear. :smitten::thumbsup::smitten:

gardener99

Hi there

I saw you post not long ago about using PeaPure and was just wondering what your experience is with this. I intend on using the capsules of palimitoylethanolamide to help reduce inflammation. Do you tolerate it ok? And are you still tapering?

Any info would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

I've been taking it for years due to autoimmune neuropathy, so my system is used to it. I do sometimes stop it to save money (not good for me, but need to cut corners somewhere) and then start up again when the pain flares get bad. I take a capsule with breakfast and with supper and have no trouble at all. The stuff I get says PEAOpt certified.

I am doing a taper with incorporated holds at about 3%/month. But I have used it when tapering faster. I have taken double and triple doses at times in the past year. It doesn't seem to give any adverse effects at all. My understanding is it is similar to a fatty acid that the body produces itself but can be depleted of.

It does take awhile to build up and have an effect. I would give it 6-8 weeks to see if it helps. When I started it, I was in terrible pain and took high doses. I was reducing gabapentin at the time (all I was taking back then). I was in contact with a doctor in the Netherlands who said a patient of his took 8-10 capsules/day with no ill effects. I think I was taking 8 capsules/day back then. And then slowly reduced as my symptoms improved. That's years ago. It might have been only 6 capsules/day. At any rate, I had zero adverse effects, except to my pocketbook!

Good luck!

Gard

Thanks for your response, I am glad that us has worked for you. I am very sensitive to supplements and medications in withdrawal so I'm trying to be extra cautious but in this case it may be worth commuting to full time giving its benefits. Did you notice any ill effects when coming off it at all?

I had a concussion in July and am looking to reduce inflammation.

I know what you mean it is very expensive. I might try it for a couple months and see how I go.

Kind regards

I really didn't notice any change in w/d going on or going off the PEA. You might start with just one capsule and see how you feel and then increase if you feel OK.

Ok that sounds like a good idea. Thanks again

Heath.

Thanks V, and BG...

I have been wondering about this... I suspect the opiates did a real number on an already (life long) suspect system, and now the V reduction has topped it off... lots to consider, and the info is most welcome... -TY...

Hey Valley; How are you doing? Feet any better? Just checking in?

Blue

Hi bluepill!  I'm doing great at the moment. I've been jogging and doing light weights all week and hit the gym for heavy weights today. So far so good. It seems the lower I get, the more the sxs get less intrusive.

How are you? :)--V

Heath.

Thanks V, and BG...

I have been wondering about this... I suspect the opiates did a real number on an already (life long) suspect system, and now the V reduction has topped it off... lots to consider, and the info is most welcome... -TY...

Opiates really did a number on me also. LDN has worked great to counter the opiate damage.  :)--V

Heath.

Heathcliff, below is a post I copied from Moodle a long time ago. It is a recipe for an Adrenal Cocktail which helps with the am cortisol surges. I add powdered Vitamin C to mine as it helps support the adrenal glands. I don't use as much potassium, just a pinch, but that is just me.

I used adrenal cocktail for the surges at night, one cup of fresh orange juice ( not from concentrate ). Then add 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt and 1/4 teaspoon cream or tartar.

HERE IS WHY:

Stress causes the adrenal glands to fire off adrenaline. This gives you a burst of energy to deal with stressful situations. Adrenaline also raises the heart rate, increases respiration, dilates the pupils, slows down digestion and causes muscles to contract. It’s like caffeine on steroids!

So if you are stressed or upset it can be impossible to fall asleep, but why does it always wake you up at 3am?

3am is when your liver regenerates. To do so, it needs glycogen. The problem is that adrenaline causes your cells to use up glycogen. So if you are often stressed, your body may not have enough glycogen for the liver to regenerate at 3am. If your liver cannot get the glycogen it needs, your adrenal glands will compensate by releasing adrenalin, which is why you are wide awake and ready for action, not exactly a state you want to be in at 3am.

WHY IT WORKS

The Adrenal Cocktail is made up of ingredients that replenish vital organs and stabilize glucose levels.

-Fresh squeezed orange juice gives the liver glucose it needs to regenerate.

-Cream of tartar is high in potassium, an element that is essential for the sodium/potassium balance in cells, vital organs (liver), muscles, nerves, and the digestive system.

-Himalayan salt, contains 84 essential minerals and elements found in the human body, helping feed the adrenals and refresh body’s the sodium/potassium pump.

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure if it's better than toast and raw honey and the almond butter .

I'd say the raw honey would do the trick for glucose . I'm not sure about the kind of salt used in your almond butter. The pink Himalayan so salt is recommended due to the minerals in it.

Wishing All peace and healing, Left

Heath.

Thanks V, and BG...

Opiates really did a number on me also. LDN has worked great to counter the opiate damage.  :)--V

Yes, LDN is high on the list. I looked into it a bit after you mentioned it, and spoke to my poor Dr... She is happy to script if I get it compounded properly..  was thinking at 4%, so i can cut it easily for smaller fractions... ?? -guess i would be aiming for between 2&3mg...?

But first I have to sort this accident related nerve damage out, so im not taking GPN or lyrica for no good reason... Just that one change has got rather complicated with polarised results..

For anyone following... My abdo cramps are gone and my GI working mich better,  but some dosing and fatigue issues to work out... Just a process to work through while im holding V, and I best not make other changes atm... But forward planning is good...

My rough plan is; nerves, then GI, sleep pattern, taper...

(Well thats this weeks plan anyway...)

-and carrots... :)

Thanks Guys, its great knowing you are here, and will throw caution or suggestions as need be...

Wishing everyone the very best, be it just surviving the day... or reclaiming life, and activities once taken for granted..

Onwards and upwards... :)

And.... Apparently Hamsters go well with spaghetti...

hxR_vzAkzSSC7sIyk0XG8Gse8aaQnXt6SxXhMhhlMTEHQmT4bpa0f2LaODfYzmYw0YmSHi-YM0rL3wZ4RVLwcOyNac6XxNvvopWRmejbCC4XkWeD9owgR0ZXwHk=w443-h332-nc

Heath.

Heathcliff, below is a post I copied from Moodle a long time ago. It is a recipe for an Adrenal Cocktail which helps with the am cortisol surges. I add powdered Vitamin C to mine as it helps support the adrenal glands. I don't use as much potassium, just a pinch, but that is just me.

I used adrenal cocktail for the surges at night, one cup of fresh orange juice ( not from concentrate ). Then add 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt and 1/4 teaspoon cream or tartar.

HERE IS WHY:

Stress causes the adrenal glands to fire off adrenaline. This gives you a burst of energy to deal with stressful situations. Adrenaline also raises the heart rate, increases respiration, dilates the pupils, slows down digestion and causes muscles to contract. It’s like caffeine on steroids!

So if you are stressed or upset it can be impossible to fall asleep, but why does it always wake you up at 3am?

3am is when your liver regenerates. To do so, it needs glycogen. The problem is that adrenaline causes your cells to use up glycogen. So if you are often stressed, your body may not have enough glycogen for the liver to regenerate at 3am. If your liver cannot get the glycogen it needs, your adrenal glands will compensate by releasing adrenalin, which is why you are wide awake and ready for action, not exactly a state you want to be in at 3am.

WHY IT WORKS

The Adrenal Cocktail is made up of ingredients that replenish vital organs and stabilize glucose levels.

-Fresh squeezed orange juice gives the liver glucose it needs to regenerate.

-Cream of tartar is high in potassium, an element that is essential for the sodium/potassium balance in cells, vital organs (liver), muscles, nerves, and the digestive system.

-Himalayan salt, contains 84 essential minerals and elements found in the human body, helping feed the adrenals and refresh body’s the sodium/potassium pump.

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure if it's better than toast and raw honey and the almond butter .

I'd say the raw honey would do the trick for glucose . I'm not sure about the kind of salt used in your almond butter. The pink Himalayan so salt is recommended due to the minerals in it.

Wishing All peace and healing, Left

Thanks Left...

Is there a particular timing involved for this... I am wide awake and feel energised after dark, usually until it starts getting light in the AM...  -Then I sleep, say 6-7hrs, but am still fatigued until it starts to get dark.. I used to try to force the sleep, but it never worked, so I embraced it... on occasion i can sleep from say 3am, but more 4-5am... Its nuts...

I eat lots of bee pollen and pink salt, but do lack in vit C.... -perhaps i get a bit from my cranberry juice?? -but no particular timing to when i consume these...

Am just getting to the point where im not just eating anything to just survive, and can increase simple whole foods, organic and raw or steamed where possible... It is helping, even if its just mental atm...

Any thoughts would be great, if possible... Thanks..

:)

Valley: That's so great! Very good to hear. I was doing well and then my feet started up again just before I was about to cut. And it's bad. Mostly at night, which is when I take my valium. I'm wearing compression socks  :-\ at night and taking lots of mag and B (which was working for a while) but OUCH--it's back and kind of bumming me out. I always worry it's something else going on. Easy to lose perspective at night. Anyway, good news that you are well! Where are you now in taper? Maybe I should go ahead and cut. I'm at 5.25.

[glow=red,2,300]"GREAT NEWS V" you go, Jogging and lifting wts, it is wonderful how things can and do change when it is "Time". Kudos to you and do we get a Looksee at the Body...... :angel::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:[/glow]

http://www.activeliving.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Body-Builder1.jpg

Valley asked me to take this pik of the NEW Him...

OMG, yucky no way Valley..... :D

Sorry, Wrong Pic.... :)

huge-101-506509.jpeg

huge-101-506509.jpeg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

huge-101-506509.jpeg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for the laugh guys  :hug: just when I needed it  :thumbsup:

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Heath.

Thanks V, and BG...

Yes, LDN is high on the list. I looked into it a bit after you mentioned it, and spoke to my poor Dr... She is happy to script if I get it compounded properly..  was thinking at 4%, so i can cut it easily for smaller fractions... ?? -guess i would be aiming for between 2&3mg...?

But first I have to sort this accident related nerve damage out, so im not taking GPN or lyrica for no good reason... Just that one change has got rather complicated with polarised results..

For anyone following... My abdo cramps are gone and my GI working mich better,  but some dosing and fatigue issues to work out... Just a process to work through while im holding V, and I best not make other changes atm... But forward planning is good...

My rough plan is; nerves, then GI, sleep pattern, taper...

(Well thats this weeks plan anyway...)

-and carrots... :)

Thanks Guys, its great knowing you are here, and will throw caution or suggestions as need be...

Wishing everyone the very best, be it just surviving the day... or reclaiming life, and activities once taken for granted..

Onwards and upwards... :)

And.... Apparently Hamsters go well with spaghetti...

hxR_vzAkzSSC7sIyk0XG8Gse8aaQnXt6SxXhMhhlMTEHQmT4bpa0f2LaODfYzmYw0YmSHi-YM0rL3wZ4RVLwcOyNac6XxNvvopWRmejbCC4XkWeD9owgR0ZXwHk=w443-h332-nc

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Too funny CF  :hug:

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

huge-101-506509.jpeg

LOL.  :laugh:

[7c...]