Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

My hold is now into its 13th month.

I'd like to be getting on with my taper, but I am in no position to cut. I have to sort out a slew of issues in my life and somehow escape an abuse situation before I can even think about it.

It is so frustrating. I just don't feel strong enough to withstand tapering and fight the battles I have to fight at the same time.

Anyone else faced this dilemma?

Life stressors come up for me all the time. There's nothing wrong with pausing for a while so you can deal with life. Sorry you have so many big life events happening at the same time. It makes this a lot harder.  :)--V

I'd like to be getting on with my taper, but I am in no position to cut. I have to sort out a slew of issues in my life and somehow escape an abuse situation before I can even think about it.

It is so frustrating. I just don't feel strong enough to withstand tapering and fight the battles I have to fight at the same time.

Well, you made me think about it a bit, there is always that niggeling thought to just push through my last 2V... But asides from the medical chaos it would unleash, to do with another med and its CT, The big reason is my 14yo son... I am a full time single dad, 365 days a year, and getting back to functional is priority... If i thought for a second that updosing would help, I would do it in a heartbeat... But all things considered, I feel holding is best for me, and of equal importance, I am happy doing it as I am still healing in the process...

So yes, there can be more to life than tapering, particularly tapering in misery...

IMHO

I wish you strength in your particular situation...

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, ultimately I have to survive, and function. tapering can heapen when I feel up to it.

How are you feeling these days?  I once held for 8 months - it took months to get back on my feet and then I had travel and surgery.  I don't think I could have handled those things while tapering.  It's up to each of us to determine our taper schedule - no one else is in our shoes and, ultimately, it's no one else's concern.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, ultimately I have to survive, and function. tapering can heapen when I feel up to it.

How are you feeling these days?  I once held for 8 months - it took months to get back on my feet and then I had travel and surgery.  I don't think I could have handled those things while tapering.  It's up to each of us to determine our taper schedule - no one else is in our shoes and, ultimately, it's no one else's concern.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies.

:thumbsup::smitten::thumbsup:

Yes. I have been avoiding a big issue in my life for a long time and it's 10x worse in withdrawal. I've started to improve in the last couple of months so I've gone back into the world and am facing up to it. It's been very challenging but I can't sit on the sidelines anymore and just wait. That being said, your situation sounds more dangerous than mine and you should definitely wait until you have things a bit more under control.

Hello all,

Hope everyone has better days, especially if you are feeling low, and hope those who are doing well, continue to do so.

I've been reading your posts but not saying much. I'm the same. Sick of complaining, so just reading and hanging on. Hope things get better so I can go to see my sister in NJ as planned. Time will tell.

Heath

me, me, me! Sometimes life stressors make it impossible to taper. There's stress in life yes, it's unavoidable, but some degrees of stress are too much. You'll know when you can start again. I'm right there with you and understand.  :smitten:

me, me, me! Sometimes life stressors make it impossible to taper. There's stress in life yes, it's unavoidable, but some degrees of stress are too much. You'll know when you can start again. I'm right there with you and understand.  :smitten:

I went through that. I knew I could not taper until my life settled down. It was a huge mess that I could not cope with while tapering. After a very long hold and a lot of work on getting my ducks on a wobbly row, I finally came to a point that I could start a chicken-turtle-snail taper. Still am dealing with significant issues, but they are no longer crushing me. I think as long as I crawl along and incorporate holds, I should be able to keep going. I also think sometimes that I will be the last person left on this thread! It's so good to see people jumping, but I find it hard to believe that one day it will be me. :-\ Still, I keep going. When my head hits the pillow tonight, even though I'm holding, I will be one day closer to freedom.

Gard

I went through that. I knew I could not taper until my life settled down. It was a huge mess that I could not cope with while tapering. After a very long hold and a lot of work on getting my ducks on a wobbly row, I finally came to a point that I could start a chicken-turtle-snail taper. Still am dealing with significant issues, but they are no longer crushing me. I think as long as I crawl along and incorporate holds, I should be able to keep going. I also think sometimes that I will be the last person left on this thread! It's so good to see people jumping, but I find it hard to believe that one day it will be me. :-\ Still, I keep going. When my head hits the pillow tonight, even though I'm holding, I will be one day closer to freedom.

Gard

you definitely won't be the last one on this thread gard I guarantee you that  :laugh: I probably will be. Yes everyday one day closer to freedom!  :smitten:

Hello my long hold friends ........

Oh this such a frustrating process! I am always glad when I check in here and feel the kindness and support of everyone going through this. Everyone is so different.

Heath , and others that are suffering , I'm right there with you , again ! I've tried to cut and I've just ended up in hell again , it's utterly frustrating. I start to feel hopeless about getting any lower in my dose. I thought I could manage a few cuts as I was feeling better , and it seemed that was the time to try , and now I'm back with horrible symptoms and pain, burning ,constantly overheated,  fragile as can be. Tinnitus too now.

I don't understand how such small reductions can do this. But they do, for me.

I probably have the least possible stress in my life, no kids, no one to have to answer to , I don't have to work to survive , I have a quiet place to myself , everything really to support a gentle environment for tapering . But after 5/30ths of a 1/4 mg V cut back over 10 days , I'm in hell.

I know I had some better days , it seems I feel better when I make cuts , and then the WDs come. Anyone else experience that? I'm feeling like I'm not making progress and I'm not healing either .

Don't know what to do except hold some more , but what if I don't improve ? Then what? I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, but I'm pretty fed up at the moment with what feels like lack of progress.

Sorry for the grump , just feel grumpy and horrible.  :-[ time to practice some acceptance ......

MiYu the grumpy sloth

Tickle the sloth to make it smile... :)

Beware the claws, there long by a mile...

Miyu, sending u best wishes n strength...

Same goes for everyone... Huge big slices of chocolate dipped strength...

Hmmm... -Think im hungry... :)

Tickle the sloth to make it smile... :)

Beware the claws, there long by a mile...

Miyu, sending u best wishes n strength...

Same goes for everyone... Huge big slices of chocolate dipped strength...

Hmmm... -Think im hungry... :)

Thanks Cantfly , for your well wishes and good humor  :)

Glad to see you back here Shamo. How are things going?

I hope they are getting better and better. :thumbsup:

Heath

Hey Heath. The last month has been a lot more positive. I barely saw any improvement in the first 6 months off but things are starting to move along now at 8 months off. The intrusive thoughts are still there but they've been dialled down a lot in severity. Feeling a bit iffy today after an interesting wknd though. Hopefully it passes soon.

One thing that seemed to help and something I've never tried before is that I went on a diet. I'm an athlete and still need energy so I started a high fat diet but cut out pretty much all carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potato etc...It's pretty much been proven now that they turn to sugar very quickly once they hit your gut. So it's basically like eating a packet of skittles when you have a bowl of pasta. Unless of course you do A LOT of exercise. It seemed to make me feel much better.

Oh this such a frustrating process! I am always glad when I check in here and feel the kindness and support of everyone going through this. Everyone is so different.

Heath , and others that are suffering , I'm right there with you , again ! I've tried to cut and I've just ended up in hell again , it's utterly frustrating. I start to feel hopeless about getting any lower in my dose. I thought I could manage a few cuts as I was feeling better , and it seemed that was the time to try , and now I'm back with horrible symptoms and pain, burning ,constantly overheated,  fragile as can be. Tinnitus too now.

I probably have the least possible stress in my life, no kids, no one to have to answer to , I don't have to work to survive , I have a quiet place to myself , everything really to support a gentle environment for tapering . But after 5/30ths of a 1/4 mg V cut back over 10 days , I'm in hell.

I know I had some better days , it seems I feel better when I make cuts , and then the WDs come. Anyone else experience that? I'm feeling like I'm not making progress and I'm not healing either .

Don't know what to do except hold some more , but what if I don't improve ? Then what? I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, but I'm pretty fed up at the moment with what feels like lack of progress.

Sorry for the grump , just feel grumpy and horrible.  :-[ time to practice some acceptance ......

MiYu the grumpy sloth

MiYu, I have had times when waiting for my hold to be over, that when I did restart I felt better, do not know if it was because I held and was healing and it just was time when I took the cut, so far I have not changed much with my routine, just cut down to one month hold from 2 month, so far everything is going well. Stay Strong, I am sure Valley can add more. :hug::mybuddy::hug::smitten:

Hello all,

Hope everyone has better days, especially if you are feeling low, and hope those who are doing well, continue to do so.

I've been reading your posts but not saying much. I'm the same. Sick of complaining, so just reading and hanging on. Hope things get better so I can go to see my sister in NJ as planned. Time will tell.

Heath

Hang on and Stay Strong. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Heath

Hey Heath. The last month has been a lot more positive. I barely saw any improvement in the first 6 months off but things are starting to move along now at 8 months off. The intrusive thoughts are still there but they've been dialled down a lot in severity. Feeling a bit iffy today after an interesting wknd though. Hopefully it passes soon.

One thing that seemed to help and something I've never tried before is that I went on a diet. I'm an athlete and still need energy so I started a high fat diet but cut out pretty much all carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potato etc...It's pretty much been proven now that they turn to sugar very quickly once they hit your gut. So it's basically like eating a packet of skittles when you have a bowl of pasta. Unless of course you do A LOT of exercise. It seemed to make me feel much better.

Good to hear things are better Shamo! I did a ketogenic diet for a while and it does help.  :thumbsup:

Hello all,

Heath

Things will get better Heath. You know what you're doing and as long as you listen to your body you'll be fine. I hope it turns around quickly so you can travel to see your sister.  :)'

Heath

Good to hear things are better Shamo! I did a ketogenic diet for a while and it does help.  :thumbsup:

Great Shamo. I have been eating more meat and veggies and I too think I feel better, but then I usually do, but I can't help to think that eating the things I really like Meat and other things have not hurt and it has helped my BS also and my Tummy, so there has to be something to that, of course I have to still watch and have some good carbs, Diabetic 2, but maybe it is just getting lower in my dose, all I know is that I feel almost normal at times. so all Single Guys out there "Watch Out"  :smitten::D:smitten:

MiYu the grumpy sloth

Hi MiYu. When I find myself in the same situation, I either hold longer or cut smaller or both. With that being said, I can still get hit with sxs out of the blue but they are usually manageable. The only thing we can do is distract. I've found when I'm really busy, I don't even think of the withdrawal. I also know it can be miserable so I understand your frustration. Sometimes making small cuts and holding longer like BG said is a way to minimize the discomfort. Hope you have more good days!  :)--V

Gard

you definitely won't be the last one on this thread gard I guarantee you that  :laugh: I probably will be. Yes everyday one day closer to freedom:smitten:

(We do look like a group racing to be last! :laugh:)

Gard

you definitely won't be the last one on this thread gard I guarantee you that  :laugh: I probably will be. Yes everyday one day closer to freedom:smitten:

(We do look like a group racing to be last! :laugh:)

Gard I will "Walk Off" and I promise to wait for you to "Walk Off" no jumping here much too violent :), honest Injun I will stay on just to walk you hand in hand. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[ed...]