Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

HI all,  :smitten:

Thanks for your responses to my post about disability..... Now that I got over the excitement that caused me to feel bad  ;), I'm really happy about it, I can relax and not worry about the future for a while relative to work. I think I was very lucky , many people have to go more than two rounds to get approved.

I made it through my dentist appointment , it was ok.... I have two more to go  :(

Things seem kinda stuck as far as more improvement goes.... Same symptoms , but I do have more energy . Should I keep holding? Probably .... It's been 2-1/2 months since I tried to cut back , and before that 4 months. I'm tempte to try a teeny tiny cut and see what happens , my sense is it'll still send me into more symptoms than I'm dealing with already .

Sorry Heath and Valley for your headaches . Heath , if you are able to do stuff and be with family , that's really something. I hope you are able to enjoy some of that time. And Valley , hope you feel better.

Valley , did you mean that you do or you don't have the jerking limbs since starting to taper?

I had that pretty bad during my cross from K to V , it was scary.

Now it just feels like muscle tightness but I don't get the jerking , not at the moment anyway .

I have this burning now in what feels like my heart, it's one of main symptoms , the burning. My skin is always really hot. Are there receptors in the heart too anyone know? Nerve endings ? I guess I'll google it!

Hugs to everyone  :hug: :hug:

MiYu

Hi MiYu. So glad you got the SSDI. It will help you relax and get through this. Prior to beginning my taper, I had the jerking. Once I started, the jerking went away. Hope your burning stops. I would definitely link it to benzo withdrawal.  :)--V

Yes, I think so too, thanks Valley  :)

MIYU...

So glad ..... your post sounds like you are feeling more positive. Glad your dental visit went well top.

Headaches are still with me but 1/2 of a fiorinal is doing the trick.  so I can't complain. Also, when the headaches came, the neck pain has stopped!. Is that nuts or what? I sure hope the neck  ache stays away. That was really a bummer.

I went shopping to get a new top yesterday.

NOTHING looked good. I realozed that I have put on about 10 pounds! I am not eating any different so I am thinking that this weight gain has something to do with benzo withdrawal.

Can withdrawal slow down your metabolism? I HAVE NEVER HAD WEIGHT PROBLEMS. I DonT LIKE IT,  HELP! I better start going to the gym again.

Heath :smitten:

Hi H  :hug:, it certainly does mess with your weight, here's my tale below from another thread

nova 1 Buddie

Only God can judge me Ironically only God does not

View Profile Personal Message (Online)

Re: the weight gain group/too fat

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 06:57:59 am »

Honest its not worth worrying about weight gain/loss you can't do FA about it. I have been seriously under weight, obese , normal weight, gone back up again eating the same diet. I went from 120-130lbs and I'm 5.6 and a half  and I would say medium bone structure, up to 220lbs, down to 98, up to 126, down to 94, up to 126, back to 98, up to 140, back to 98, up to 192, now at 174 after losing 6lbs in about 4 days all this is on the same diet with the odd blow out.

But I do get the can't stop eating episodes which also make no difference with the weight going up or down, unless its a serious eating bender for weeks months when I'm not able to move much at all. But other than that its just waiting I mean 6 lbs loss in less than a week and no difference in what I eat, its a symptom and will correct it self as homoeostasis improves unless your eating mega loads of junk then weigh gains to be expected . I eat a great diet no junk but still heap the weight on or lose it.

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

My weight still swings up and down to this day, I can loose or gain 3lbs to 7lbs over night, today I'm 166 lbs, the day before I was 169  ::)

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks for your response Nova. But actually it has gotten me quite scared. I can't even imagine myself putting on that kind of weight.!  That is so  so scary. There must be some way I can control my weight.  I am a healthy eater and eat hardly any sweets or fats at all! I've been tapering for almost a year now and have not experienced weight  gain before during my taper.  I figure it's because of being quite sedentary lately where I have always been very active before this benzo withdrawal thing started.

I hope being extra vigilant about my weight and starting to go to the gym again will get me back on track.

I am truly sorry for your experience with the crazy and very extreme roller coaster with your weight.  I am not giving in to the benzos. I hope I do not have my head in the stars  :crazy: and that I am not fighting a losing battle, but I'm not giving up yet. ???  :-[

Good luck to you and all your tapering. I wish you peace and healing! :smitten:

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH WEIGHT GAIN ISSUES DURING TAPERING?

Heath

Heath, I've gained weight too and I eat very clean. I even did a ketogenic diet for 3 months which should have dropped a bunch of weight but it didn't do anything. I think the problem has to do with a couple of things. Inactivity and growth hormone decrease. As you lower your benzo dose, your growth hormone levels go down. Growth hormone controls metabolism, keeps muscle mass, etc. When levels are low, weight gain can be expected IMO.  :)--V

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why--in the midst of a long hold at 6mg valium-- I sometimes get terrible foot cramps that sort of roll all night? I could makes sense of this after a cut but why during a long hold? It makes me very worried all over again that it's MS or something--I had clear MRI 2 years ago when neuropathy started--but what if lesions just weren't showing yet? I feel like my dr will think I am CRAZIER than she already does if I ask for another one. I just don't know how to tell myself its benzos and not a flare or something? Anyone???? I got so much work to do and when it hits--I cant sleep at night--Thanks for any responses.

Hi there BLUEPILL. I get foot cramps and calf cramps very much of the time. and I am sure it's benzo related. I did get these calf cramps before my benzo taper and hold s but the foot cramps are new and absolutely horrible. However, I have liquid magnesium ,actually it's an oil, that I rub on my calves  and feet every couple of days. It supposed to be good because it gets absorbed right in through your skin where the cramp is.I've been doing it for a long time now and it helps so much. I get it on Amazon.

I also take Co Q10 which is supposed to help with calf cramps among other things.

But as far as these cramps coming during a hold, yes mine come when ever they feel like it day, night, when sitting, when standing, when laying down, during a hold or right after a cut, whenever!

From what I've read here, these cramps are a pretty common part of withdrawal.

If you decide to try co Q10 or magnesium oil, please do only after you ask your doctor because I'm no expert and everyone is different. Oh, and the reason I use the magnesuim oil is because my stomach does not like magnesuim pills. Makes me sick.

Good luck.hope those cramps go away for you.

Heath :)

Thanks for your reply VALLEYUM,

Ok OK, OK ,OK so I guess if you and Nova say the same thing, I'm going to HAVE  to accept it. It's the BENZOS, DAMN, :tickedoff:

DAMN, DAMN DAMN, DAMm ! :tickedoff:

Another thing to be mad about and have to deal with!  :tickedoff:

I used to be a real active, run around person who could just not sit still!  I guess I'll have to get my butt out and start moving around.again. :crazy: maybe it will help a little?

Crappies!  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :

Heath :tickedoff:

Thanks, Heath! I am taking the CoQ10 and Mag but maybe I will try the liquid too. Is it a skin oil or just type in Mag oil on Amazon? I also upped B supps and am taking Alpha Lipoic Acid--all which helped for a few weeks but last night was so bad--just cannot makes sense of it mid-hold! I'm even wearing compression socks! Jeez. Thanks for responding. Always makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone. Not that I would wish this on anyone, obviously!

Hello Hope, Begood, Lynne, Anne, Freeme, Solitudeseeker, BLuepill, JR, MiYu, ValleyUm, Baddove, Pleasebehere and anyone I forgot...

Hope everyone is having good days. Haven't heard a lot from some of my buddies here lately. I hope it means you are doing well. Love to hear about your good days. :thumbsup:

Those who are feeling badly, I hope you feel much better soon.  :therethere::mybuddy:

If you have posted lately, just disregard this :oops:  :crazy:. :D I miss you all when activity on the forum slows. Makes me realize even more how good it is to " be in the same boat" together. And how much I need and appreciate this support group!

Heath :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks, Heath! I am taking the CoQ10 and Mag but maybe I will try the liquid too. Is it a skin oil or just type in Mag oil on Amazon? I also upped B supps and am taking Alpha Lipoic Acid--all which helped for a few weeks but last night was so bad--just cannot makes sense of it mid-hold! I'm even wearing compression socks! Jeez. Thanks for responding. Always makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone. Not that I would wish this on anyone, obviously!

Hi BLUEPILL

I get it on Amazon. I have a lot so I haven't ordered it lately but I think if you type in magnesium oil it should come up. There are lots of different brands, but I have only tried this one and I like it.

( it does leave a salty residue on your skin, because it coms  from the ocean, but it doesn't bother me. I just wash my hands after I apply it.)

The manufacturer is Life-flo

It's called.  Pure magnesium Oil,  Magnesium Chloride Brine from the Ancient Zechstein Seabed

100%pure, super concentrated Solution.

There is a lot of explanation on Amazon once you get to the product. There are other brands to choose from too.

Good luck Blue pill!

Hi Heath, I know what you mean .... I check in but don't always write and then when no one posts I miss everyone! I say don't worry about weight gain.... thats the least  of our problems ....

I'm sorry Nove for your roller coaster though, sounds awful.  :(

When I was on steroids i put on 20 lbs practically over night , and when I stopped them it just dropped off the same way it came. My weight haS stayed steady thus far , like you Nova I'm 5'6-1/2" and 130 lbs... I've been that since I was 16!

Love to all , MiYu  :smitten::-*

MIYU...

So glad ..... your post sounds like you are feeling more positive. Glad your dental visit went well top.

Headaches are still with me but 1/2 of a fiorinal is doing the trick.  so I can't complain. Also, when the headaches came, the neck pain has stopped!. Is that nuts or what? I sure hope the neck  ache stays away. That was really a bummer.

I went shopping to get a new top yesterday.

NOTHING looked good. I realozed that I have put on about 10 pounds! I am not eating any different so I am thinking that this weight gain has something to do with benzo withdrawal.

Can withdrawal slow down your metabolism? I HAVE NEVER HAD WEIGHT PROBLEMS. I DonT LIKE IT,  HELP! I better start going to the gym again.

Hi H  :hug:, it certainly does mess with your weight, here's my tale below from another thread

nova 1 Buddie

Only God can judge me Ironically only God does not

View Profile Personal Message (Online)

Re: the weight gain group/too fat

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 06:57:59 am »

Honest its not worth worrying about weight gain/loss you can't do FA about it. I have been seriously under weight, obese , normal weight, gone back up again eating the same diet. I went from 120-130lbs and I'm 5.6 and a half  and I would say medium bone structure, up to 220lbs, down to 98, up to 126, down to 94, up to 126, back to 98, up to 140, back to 98, up to 192, now at 174 after losing 6lbs in about 4 days all this is on the same diet with the odd blow out.

But I do get the can't stop eating episodes which also make no difference with the weight going up or down, unless its a serious eating bender for weeks months when I'm not able to move much at all. But other than that its just waiting I mean 6 lbs loss in less than a week and no difference in what I eat, its a symptom and will correct it self as homoeostasis improves unless your eating mega loads of junk then weigh gains to be expected . I eat a great diet no junk but still heap the weight on or lose it.

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

My weight still swings up and down to this day, I can loose or gain 3lbs to 7lbs over night, today I'm 166 lbs, the day before I was 169  ::)

Thanks for your response Nova. But actually it has gotten me quite scared. I can't even imagine myself putting on that kind of weight.!  That is so  so scary. There must be some way I can control my weight.  I am a healthy eater and eat hardly any sweets or fats at all! I've been tapering for almost a year now and have not experienced weight  gain before during my taper.  I figure it's because of being quite sedentary lately where I have always been very active before this benzo withdrawal thing started.

I hope being extra vigilant about my weight and starting to go to the gym again will get me back on track.

I am truly sorry for your experience with the crazy and very extreme roller coaster with your weight.  I am not giving in to the benzos. I hope I do not have my head in the stars  :crazy: and that I am not fighting a losing battle, but I'm not giving up yet. ???  :-[

Good luck to you and all your tapering. I wish you peace and healing! :smitten:

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH WEIGHT GAIN ISSUES DURING TAPERING?

Heath

Here you go Heath  :hug: Its common don't worry it will correct its self eventually, its just another withdrawal symptom, and I will take that gladly rather than the agony I've been in for so long. Its one of the lesser symptoms as far as I'm concerned , but that's me  :) People drop kilos without even trying once their further along in recovery, I hope this link helps you. 

The weight gain group/too fathttp://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=153819.0;topicseen

Nova, thanks again. Yes I can see that many others are experiencing this weigh gain too. I guess ill just have to accept it. It is what it is!

Thanks nova

Nova, thanks again. Yes I can see that many others are experiencing this weigh gain too. I guess ill just have to accept it. It is what it is!

Thanks nova

Heath I've gone up and down on my weight too with the taper. At first I lost, then I gained. Right now I've dropped a few pounds because of low appetite from a bad cut. So honestly i would rather keep a few spare pounds for cuts like this since I'm not a big person to start with.

Thanks nova

Heath I've gone up and down on my weight too with the taper. At first I lost, then I gained. Right now I've dropped a few pounds because of low appetite from a bad cut. So honestly i would rather keep a few spare pounds for cuts like this since I'm not a big person to start with.

Hi Hope, do you happen to know what Valley meant yesterday about weight being linked to Growth Hormone Decrease, I am not sure what that means. Hope you are doing well. :smitten:

Thanks nova

Hi Hope, do you happen to know what Valley meant yesterday about weight being linked to Growth Hormone Decrease, I am not sure what that means. Hope you are doing well. :smitten:

Hi BG. I'll have to find the links to the studies. The studies indicate a blunting of growth hormone as well as many other hormones when taking and withdrawing from benzos. Probably more of an adrenal side effect of taking benzos.  :)--V

Thanks nova

Hi BG. I'll have to find the links to the studies. The studies indicate a blunting of growth hormone as well as many other hormones when taking and withdrawing from benzos. Probably more of an adrenal side effect of taking benzos.  :)--V

OK thanks, just wondering. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks nova

I would be interested to see the studies regarding growth hormone too. I had always assumed the weight gain was due to elevated cortisol levels. I know that when my stomach is not a wreck and my appetite is good then my body just wants to eat junk food. Stress eating so to speak.

Thanks nova

I would be interested to see the studies regarding growth hormone too. I had always assumed the weight gain was due to elevated cortisol levels. I know that when my stomach is not a wreck and my appetite is good then my body just wants to eat junk food. Stress eating so to speak.

Hope- based on my experience with steroids which vastly increased cortisol , I think it can play a part. Many people put on ALOT of weight when they take steroids ....  ???

Here is one study. As a disclaimer, hormones are more impacted by long term use. Short term use doesn't seem to be as severe.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6138010

Hope I also found a cortisol connection. I do know my adrenals shut completely down after 2 years on benzos. I am still replacing hormones but my endocrinologist dropped the ball on the HGH a few months ago (which he is correcting now). When the growth hormone was stopped, I developed "benzo belly" and rapid weight gain. Fatigue was also greatly increased.  :)--V

Here is one study. As a disclaimer, hormones are more impacted by long term use. Short term use doesn't seem to be as severe.

Hope I also found a cortisol connection. I do know my adrenals shut completely down after 2 years on benzos. I am still replacing hormones but my endocrinologist dropped the ball on the HGH a few months ago (which he is correcting now). When the growth hormone was stopped, I developed "benzo belly" and rapid weight gain. Fatigue was also greatly increased.  :)--V

Thanks Valley, was the study just on Men, and does this affect us too..? :smitten:

Thanks Valley, was the study just on Men, and does this affect us too..? :smitten:

From what I've read BG. We all experience a temporary increase in HGH when taking benzos which drops when tapering and after jumping. The baseline after the jump is lower than those who haven't used benzos. I imagine it eventually returns to normal with everything else over time.  :)--V

From what I've read BG. We all experience a temporary increase in HGH when taking benzos which drops when tapering and after jumping. The baseline after the jump is lower than those who haven't used benzos. I imagine it eventually returns to normal with everything else over time.  :)--V

OK, so is there any type of food or supplement we can take for this....? :smitten:

Just been skimming lately because knocked down by a huge neuropathy flare. Getting some windows!  :thumbsup: Wishing windows to all!

Gard :smitten:

Yay Gard ! Very happy for you , sorry about the neuropathy though  :(

On the HGH subject , I read somewhere that melatonin can increase hGH...... I guess it's all so interconnected , not enough sleep I'm sure would interfere with HGH.

Love , MiYu  :smitten:

[a1...]