Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Time for another hold for me.  >:(

Guess I'm just supposed to wait for symptoms to settle down to manageable again. This is new territory for me. Did my long hold. Tapered away about 7%. Heading in a bad direction. Do not want to end up where I was before my long hold!

This is why I chose to just grit my teeth and taper off the last 2mg 3 weeks at a time per cut. I never stabilised, but I much preferred to do that and get off the poison than to do a long hold, then taper a bit, then do another long hold etc etc. That would have driven me mad and feel like I'm never gonna make it off. And it's good to know that at 0, when I eventually do come good it's for the last time and there's no more tapering.

But it's good that this method is working for you.

Yes indeed whatever works for us, all are so different how we are willing to deal with our taper and results, but in the end, we will be all Free, some just sooner than others. Once again Shamo I asked how you are doing?, have been thinking of you and knowing you had a rough time, hope things are better for you. :)

Hey BeGood. I was doing it really really tough. I'm just coming up on 7 months clean. Last month I tried a med called Lyrica and it has been a godsend. Makes me feel so much better and pretty much gets rid of all my mental symptoms. If I take it on a sunday, I feel a bit out of it but feel better, and then feel really good on monday. By tuesday I'm starting to feel shit again but I try and hang on until wednesday. I dont want to get hooked on another med so I'm taking it every 3 days atm. I know many people take it every day but I've heard the lyrica wd can be pretty bad too. How are you?

Hey 7 months off is great, but I know it has not been easy, but that 7 months is gone forever thank goodness, good that you have found something to help, you are wise to be wary and careful. I know some buddies here that it takes months to really get to a good place, I think it is the trauma to our Brain from the benzo's and that all the wires need to heal and reboot in our Brain, but hoping that you are lucky, and it will not take forever, but one step at a time. I am doing well, still some blips at times, but all in all can not say anything bad is going on, I have chosen a very slow turtle walk, but it is the only way I feel for me that I will succeed. You will be Ok, it just takes time, and I am glad you did not reinstate. :smitten::thumbsup::smitten:

Thanks BG. This really is scary. I just can't believe it takes this long and we just have to suffer through it. I have moments where I really start panicking that I'm stuck in this mess. It's hard to remember what I used to feel like before this.

:hug::mybuddy::hug:

MiYu, it was not anyone that is now with us, this was in the beginning long ago, it was said.

Oh heavens yes I had intense sx's the first two tapers and because I was told that I was close to having an impending stroke is why I reinstated. Yep the first two tapers were pure hell. I can not tell you how long I held but it was for a while then I finally decided to try one more time, because I felt stable.

My second reinstatement was to 5mg, and you know I thought I was wrong also about the 2.50mg but after looking at my sig and really thinking about it, yes I did, I dropped that amount and told myself if I had problems I would go back to 5mg, well just slight blips really started then, very minor, and I thought well this is not bad, so just stayed on 2.50mg for a long while and then when I restarted I would cut .25mg at a time and hold for a long time, I am sorry but I just can not remember how long, but I do believe that all the long times I held made this doable for me this time, and yes just minor blips. Also the first reinstatement, my Doctor wanted me to go from 10mg, to 5mg overnight and did OK. My real hell did not hit either time, until I was off completely off the two different times, I was having a hard time getting there, but it hit me full force.

Wow , thanks Begood , that's very interesting.....  :)

I wonder , how much our mental states and beliefs around all this  effect our experience. I'm try to think positively , and maybe that can be part of the value of long holds, to get stable , feel more positive about succeeding, and then having better results..... I do think it plays a part.....

Anyone else have thoughts on this?  :-*

This is "Everything", you hit it on the nail. "I wonder , how much our mental states and beliefs around all this  effect our experience".

I do remember the comment and it was somewhat shocking, but attitudes and statements prior certainly hinted at underlying feelings.  I would suggest that "envy" is a more appropriate feeling.  It's a better response, and healthier(!), to be genuinely happy for buddies doing relatively well.  Of course anyone doing "really" well is most likely not on BB. :(  I think everyone here has significant problems at times, whether expressed or not.

No one here has expressed or hinted at negative feelings.  You will see it occasionally on blogs and plogs.  It's not productive for people in terms of their own journey - but people often do things that end up shooting themselves in the foot.  This is in every walk of life and it's not surprising when this carries over to here.  It's just a continuation of life behaviors - IMO.

This group is very supportive and compassionate. :smitten: :smitten:

I do remember the comment and it was somewhat shocking, but attitudes and statements prior certainly hinted at underlying feelings.  I would suggest that "envy" is a more appropriate feeling.  It's a better response, and healthier(!), to be genuinely happy for buddies doing relatively well.  Of course anyone doing "really" well is most likely not on BB. :(  I think everyone here has significant problems at times, whether expressed or not.

No one here has expressed or hinted at negative feelings.  You will see it occasionally on blogs and plogs.  It's not productive for people in terms of their own journey - but people often do things that end up shooting themselves in the foot.  This is in every walk of life and it's not surprising when this carries over to here.  It's just a continuation of life behaviors - IMO.

This group is very supportive and compassionate. :smitten: :smitten:

You are right on the money. :smitten:

hey everyone,

i guess you older members who knew me think i fell off the earth...well i feel like i have..i dont read much of anything anymore and try to stay away from groups so i dont get any worse from reading..

I have been in a wheelchair since july 4th..and i have been holding now since last april an i am not stabalizing i need some input..

i am up to 115lbs from 97 but its been a long road and i am just so tired..i am weak and have no energy and as for the eyes i dont drive anymore...terrie helps me get a shower and dress and she does everything around here as i am no longer able too.

I need your input i go to my doc on thursday and we had agreed that something has to change cause things are just not getting better..and i told him if i could go back to my 4mgs of k that i had been on for 30 something yrs and stabalize and then i would try again even if it took me 10 yrs..

my question is cause he listens to my suggestions and what i want to do..being at 2.75mgs now.. you all know i got to 1.75 but then had to updose twice..but now with the long hold i dont see it getting any better..

can i go back to 4mgs at one time to try and see if i can pull out of this? or is that something you do slowly also?

and what are the chances that it will back fire on me cause just staying here is not helping and i take no other meds. he doesnt want me to drop any lower cause my body is just shutting down from it.and he wanted me to wait until after the holidays so i at least might not get any worse...and i have had all kinds of tests run and they find nothing. also switching to v is not an option.

i will check back tomorrow and also on thursday morning to see if i can get any help from here on what to do..or any suggestions..just please dont tell me to keep holding cause i am just not getting any better and it will be a yr soon..

i miss all of you and have thought of you all often but reading things to do with this makes me worse and the eyes dont work well enough to do alot of reading.

hugs to all of you

deep

Hi deep!  It's so good to hear from you! I have wondered what happened to you and I am glad you are finally getting a plan in place and that your weight has gone up.

Concerning the dose correction, it's probably best to listen to your body just as in a taper. My experience has been to feel worse initially so if you feel an increase in sxs it's just your body readjusting again. I do know the BAT philosophy is to updose high enough to stop sxs so you may need to go to 4mg to get stable. Whether to do it all at once is anyone's guess. You may just want to jump up to 4mg and reevaluate in a week.

I'm so sorry you're wheelchair bound and hope things turn around for you soon. Anecdotally, from reading many posts regarding K, it seems K is the least responsive to holding for long periods of time. I'm not sure why but can only guess it's the unique properties of K involving serotonin. I believe it's the only benzo to directly effect serotonin.

We've missed you! Hope to see you here when you feel up to it.  :)--V

hi v

it was great to hear from you :)

and everyone is basically against me going back up to te 4mgs but i dont see any way out of this but i am also afraid to do anything but just cant sit here and let me life just go by..i was so active but i have been sick a yr now and holding since april and have gotten worse...so i dont see that holding longer would help and i cant even stand the thought of trying to get lower at this time so i dont know what to suggest to the doctor tomorrow..valium is not an option..my body is so use to k..and now i have been told that with the half life being so long why am i dosing 4 times a day cause if you divide the 2.75 by 4 times a day its just a small amount of powder that i am putting into the broth to take..i just miss food so much ..pizza, salads, just everything..my diet is the same everyday but I am grateful that i can swallow some things now.

hope you are healing and hope to hear some more input from you before i go to the doctor tomorrow

take care

hugs

deep

Hi Deep  :hug: I recently had to updose, but am still waiting to stabilise as in most cases it can take a few weeks to a few months before it works, immediate relief or in a day or two is the exception not the rule in up-dosing and reinstatement. I up-dosed from 3.45mg to 5mg and  I was going to updose by a higher margin but decided to go slowly as any change will have consequences on our CNS,and I did that 7 weeks and five days ago so its till quite early.  So I'm holding longer again at 5mg but should it became clear I need to up-dose more again in a while and then hold again I will do so but right now I aim to give the 5mg a good chance first at least 3 months.

I also have some family health stressors going on right now besides my own, but that's life it don't stop for nothing we just have to do what we can when we can as things crop up, but I know it will be a lot easier to deal with everything when I can achieve some sort of if not compete stability. I hope you find yours and begin healing and feeling a lot better very soon, its all patience and waiting even with up-doses and reinstatements, you just have to hold and wait long enough to see a good results. Anything from a few days, a few weeks, a few months  :)

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

MiYu, it was not anyone that is now with us, this was in the beginning long ago, it was said.

Oh heavens yes I had intense sx's the first two tapers and because I was told that I was close to having an impending stroke is why I reinstated. Yep the first two tapers were pure hell. I can not tell you how long I held but it was for a while then I finally decided to try one more time, because I felt stable.

My second reinstatement was to 5mg, and you know I thought I was wrong also about the 2.50mg but after looking at my sig and really thinking about it, yes I did, I dropped that amount and told myself if I had problems I would go back to 5mg, well just slight blips really started then, very minor, and I thought well this is not bad, so just stayed on 2.50mg for a long while and then when I restarted I would cut .25mg at a time and hold for a long time, I am sorry but I just can not remember how long, but I do believe that all the long times I held made this doable for me this time, and yes just minor blips. Also the first reinstatement, my Doctor wanted me to go from 10mg, to 5mg overnight and did OK. My real hell did not hit either time, until I was off completely off the two different times, I was having a hard time getting there, but it hit me full force.

I wonder , how much our mental states and beliefs around all this  effect our experience. I'm try to think positively , and maybe that can be part of the value of long holds, to get stable , feel more positive about succeeding, and then having better results..... I do think it plays a part.....

You're absolutely correct MiYu. When I did a long hold last year it put me in a better place mentally. Once I started to taper again I found I was feeling better as I reduced. There are still days that are somewhat crappy after a cut cycle but they are gone quickly. The latest cut cycle gave me 4 unpleasant days but yesterday I felt 100% like my normal self and I'm putting more and more time into work.  :)--V

You're absolutely correct MiYu. When I did a long hold last year it put me in a better place mentally. Once I started to taper again I found I was feeling better as I reduced. There are still days that are somewhat crappy after a cut cycle but they are gone quickly. The latest cut cycle gave me 4 unpleasant days but yesterday I felt 100% like my normal self and I'm putting more and more time into work.  :)--V

That's very good to hear how rapidly you got back to normal after your last cut cycle. Would you tell benzo brain again what cycle you are using?

That's very good to hear how rapidly you got back to normal after your last cut cycle. Would you tell benzo brain again what cycle you are using?

Hi gard. I'm doing a symptom based taper. The general plan is cutting .25mg over 10 days (.025 per day) and then holding for 10 days but sometimes I go faster or slower depending on how I feel.  :)--V

V, Can I ask what your monthly cut rate is (approximately) with this kind of pattern? And how you figured out this general pattern? I'm trying to figure out how to figure out a pattern. I have the problem of not knowing if/what symptoms are from my autoimmune disorder and PTSD triggers and which are from cutting. So many of them are the same. It's very hard to figure out pattern. I think you have similar things, right? Health and PTSD issues muddying the waters?

V, Can I ask what your monthly cut rate is (approximately) with this kind of pattern? And how you figured out this general pattern? I'm trying to figure out how to figure out a pattern. I have the problem of not knowing if/what symptoms are from my autoimmune disorder and PTSD triggers and which are from cutting. So many of them are the same. It's very hard to figure out pattern. I think you have similar things, right? Health and PTSD issues muddying the waters?

I've been averaging .5 a month which is a little faster than the general plan. I will most likely slow it down to keep as symptom free as possible.  I figured out the plan based on my symptom pattern and lag time. My lag day is 10 days so I do daily cuts for 10 days and then hold for 10 days to account for the lag time. I figured .25mg was a low enough place to start and it seems it is the right rate to keep me fully functional. I definitely have prior major health issues but they actually seem to be improving as I reduce. I'm really convinced that the benzos and opiates made my health problems 10x worse especially the benzos.  :)--V

I've been averaging .5 a month which is a little faster than the general plan. I will most likely slow it down to keep as symptom free as possible.  I figured out the plan based on my symptom pattern and lag time. My lag day is 10 days so I do daily cuts for 10 days and then hold for 10 days to account for the lag time. I figured .25mg was a low enough place to start and it seems it is the right rate to keep me fully functional. I definitely have prior major health issues but they actually seem to be improving as I reduce. I'm really convinced that the benzos and opiates made my health problems 10x worse especially the benzos.  :)--V

Thanks, V.

Good job V!  :)

hey everyone,

i guess you older members who knew me think i fell off the earth...well i feel like i have..i dont read much of anything anymore and try to stay away from groups so i dont get any worse from reading..

I have been in a wheelchair since july 4th..and i have been holding now since last april an i am not stabalizing i need some input..

i am up to 115lbs from 97 but its been a long road and i am just so tired..i am weak and have no energy and as for the eyes i dont drive anymore...terrie helps me get a shower and dress and she does everything around here as i am no longer able too.

I need your input i go to my doc on thursday and we had agreed that something has to change cause things are just not getting better..and i told him if i could go back to my 4mgs of k that i had been on for 30 something yrs and stabalize and then i would try again even if it took me 10 yrs..

my question is cause he listens to my suggestions and what i want to do..being at 2.75mgs now.. you all know i got to 1.75 but then had to updose twice..but now with the long hold i dont see it getting any better..

can i go back to 4mgs at one time to try and see if i can pull out of this? or is that something you do slowly also?

and what are the chances that it will back fire on me cause just staying here is not helping and i take no other meds. he doesnt want me to drop any lower cause my body is just shutting down from it.and he wanted me to wait until after the holidays so i at least might not get any worse...and i have had all kinds of tests run and they find nothing. also switching to v is not an option.

i will check back tomorrow and also on thursday morning to see if i can get any help from here on what to do..or any suggestions..just please dont tell me to keep holding cause i am just not getting any better and it will be a yr soon..

i miss all of you and have thought of you all often but reading things to do with this makes me worse and the eyes dont work well enough to do alot of reading.

hugs to all of you

deep

Hi deep!  It's so good to hear from you! I have wondered what happened to you and I am glad you are finally getting a plan in place and that your weight has gone up.

Concerning the dose correction, it's probably best to listen to your body just as in a taper. My experience has been to feel worse initially so if you feel an increase in sxs it's just your body readjusting again. I do know the BAT philosophy is to updose high enough to stop sxs so you may need to go to 4mg to get stable. Whether to do it all at once is anyone's guess. You may just want to jump up to 4mg and reevaluate in a week.

I'm so sorry you're wheelchair bound and hope things turn around for you soon. Anecdotally, from reading many posts regarding K, it seems K is the least responsive to holding for long periods of time. I'm not sure why but can only guess it's the unique properties of K involving serotonin. I believe it's the only benzo to directly effect serotonin.

We've missed you! Hope to see you here when you feel up to it.  :)--V

hi v

it was great to hear from you :)

and everyone is basically against me going back up to te 4mgs but i dont see any way out of this but i am also afraid to do anything but just cant sit here and let me life just go by..i was so active but i have been sick a yr now and holding since april and have gotten worse...so i dont see that holding longer would help and i cant even stand the thought of trying to get lower at this time so i dont know what to suggest to the doctor tomorrow..valium is not an option..my body is so use to k..and now i have been told that with the half life being so long why am i dosing 4 times a day cause if you divide the 2.75 by 4 times a day its just a small amount of powder that i am putting into the broth to take..i just miss food so much ..pizza, salads, just everything..my diet is the same everyday but I am grateful that i can swallow some things now.

hope you are healing and hope to hear some more input from you before i go to the doctor tomorrow

take care

hugs

deep

Hi Deep  :hug: I recently had to updose, but am still waiting to stabilise as in most cases it can take a few weeks to a few months before it works, immediate relief or in a day or two is the exception not the rule in up-dosing and reinstatement. I up-dosed from 3.45mg to 5mg and  I was going to updose by a higher margin but decided to go slowly as any change will have consequences on our CNS,and I did that 7 weeks and five days ago so its till quite early.  So I'm holding longer again at 5mg but should it became clear I need to up-dose more again in a while and then hold again I will do so but right now I aim to give the 5mg a good chance first at least 3 months.

I also have some family health stressors going on right now besides my own, but that's life it don't stop for nothing we just have to do what we can when we can as things crop up, but I know it will be a lot easier to deal with everything when I can achieve some sort of if not compete stability. I hope you find yours and begin healing and feeling a lot better very soon, its all patience and waiting even with up-doses and reinstatements, you just have to hold and wait long enough to see a good results. Anything from a few days, a few weeks, a few months  :)

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Nova

I do have a question since you werent on k you are on diazipam...

should someone updose the whole amount or do it slowly also..what did you do?

and i dont expect it to correct me right away and hope it doesnt over sedate me but it never did before..

i am just so sick and so stressed i cant even watch the news or anything cause if i get the least upset then i cant swallow again and i get heart palps and then i lose weight by being shut down 1 day from getting the calories i need.

and i sure can relate to the family stresses not from here at home but from my daughter an older son the both live like 20 mins from me and i am the first one they contact when their life has a problem my husband has even told my son to not text me late at night with his problems but when i was on the 4 mgs i was steel could handle everything and i have always been their go to person..

so thanks for your input and how well do you think this updose has made for you..cause so many are scaring me by telling me an updose back to 4mgs could be devestating to me and my health..or it could kindle me..

and anyone reading this my doc appt got changed til the 23rd..my son thats in college couldnt miss today was the first week back to classes and so now i have to wait..

i am having a really bad day today and have been up since 2 this morning since my son text me at 10:30 and all i could do was worry about him ..

this has just got to stop

thanks to you and everyone for being so kind

big hugs xoxoxo

deep

I'm sorry Deep.... I hope you find some resolution soon.

I had a really sucky day today myself, yesterday also, days like this are scary.....just try to take it one day at a time .

MiYu  :hug:

I am so heart heavy for you MIYU and Deep and Freeme, and anyone else who is suffering. I remember how bad it was fir me at the very beginning of my taper when I was going too fast. My wd sxs were pretty bad and I was very scared. But as I held, the sfx did ease up and disappear. It took a good 4 or 5 months.i hope yours will begin to ease up soon. Lots of times, I have learned. I just have to wait until my brain heels to see improvement in the duration and depth of gmy sfx.

I  had some wierd sfx during my last cut that scared me a lot.  But now after two weeks time they seem to have let up. I think what is happrning is even now, every time I make even a small cut, I will get some sfx as my brain reacts to the cut and begins to heal. As time in your hold progresses, perhaps your CNS will do a lot of healing, and soon your sfx will also ease up. If you can think of it as your brain healing, then it is sonewgat easier to accept.

I wish I could offer you some ideas to make those wd sfx go away faster, but I do believe everyone heals in their own time and their own way, and when your CNS has healed and adjusted to your cut, the sfx WILL disappear. I hope you can be strong and hang in there, and wait for that magical day. I'm sure it WILL COME! One day at a time !

I wish you all peace, pain free days with healing and courage.

Heath :smitten:

What a great group!  I was looking for women who had PMS problems during withdrawal.  My menstraul cycles is HORRIBLE during withdrawal...my symptoms spike and it's bad for almost two weeks.

I noticed before my taper my menstraul cycle was getting more intolerable, but since my taper, it's been off the roof!  I've read of others worse off, so I can only imagine how bad it is for others!

Let's hang in there and tell ourselves it's part of healing and we will "get better"!

Rach

I microtapered from K. I typically held my dose beginning few days before and until a few days after my period. I did this to try and keep from compounding period symptoms with withdrawal symptoms, which felt quite similar. Might not help others, but it helped me.

Benniejets-

So you felt withdrawal symptoms when compounding?  I tried compounding and it made me feel sick as well.  How long should I give it a chance to work or stabilize on compounding?

Was it easier to taper on compounding...Id like to do a daily micro taper, is that possible with compounding?

Loving this Valley  :smitten:

"The turtles always win! :)--V"

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

[19...]