Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Hi Thread. I'm sorry for all the tummy troubles people are having! I haven't had that since I got off the Xanax (knock wood).

I am about 2 weeks into the world's slowest micro-taper (or is it 3?) and doing pretty well. This is after holding for 6 months and then tapering a bit of my Q (with was awful) and slowly dissolving one capsule at a time from each my doses of L (which was awful). But my brain and body seem to have adjusted and are now OK with the liquid. I've learned my lesson on that and next time I dissolve I will hold much longer between capsules.

I think I'm up to about 3 or 4%/month rate and will just crawl like this for awhile. L is a slow drug so I'm not sure when to expect to feel symptoms, so being extra cautious. May stick in another hold and try to regain some of my lost driving skills since I'm feeling better than before the hold. I would love to be able to get around more without having to ask my daughter to always be driving me.

Gard

Hi Thread. I'm sorry for all the tummy troubles people are having! I haven't had that since I got off the Xanax (knock wood).

I am about 2 weeks into the world's slowest micro-taper (or is it 3?) and doing pretty well. This is after holding for 6 months and then tapering a bit of my Q (with was awful) and slowly dissolving one capsule at a time from each my doses of L (which was awful). But my brain and body seem to have adjusted and are now OK with the liquid. I've learned my lesson on that and next time I dissolve I will hold much longer between capsules.

I think I'm up to about 3 or 4%/month rate and will just crawl like this for awhile. L is a slow drug so I'm not sure when to expect to feel symptoms, so being extra cautious. May stick in another hold and try to regain some of my lost driving skills since I'm feeling better than before the hold. I would love to be able to get around more without having to ask my daughter to always be driving me.

Gard

That's great gard!  Where do you live? Do we need to be careful when you start driving again? :laugh:

Gard

That's great gard!  Where do you live? Do we need to be careful when you start driving again? :laugh:

Yes please stay off the Highways for a while, I once ended up so far away from my House years ago, I was sure I would never get back home.... ;D

You are all safe! I live in the middle of nowhere. It's a small city with little traffic or I would not be trying this!

I will say I am making myself very jittery by getting behind the wheel again. My brain is kind of jumping around even when I'm not driving, harder to focus, and I'm much more tired than usual. Gosh, it sort of feels like when you first learn to drive and you have to hyper-focus on every little thing. I guess the lag from the drugs contributes to this, too. I've been mostly puttering around in my neighborhood but today I am going to go downtown!

Oh dear, BG! I'm glad you got home. That sounds very scary!

Well, I'm off to a doctor's appointment and prescriptions to pick up today. Snow starts tomorrow and goes through Saturday, so I won't be out on the roads again until they are cleared. I guess my brain will be glad for the rest.

The snow is so very pretty, especially when I don't have to shovel or go anywhere, so that's my plan. My daughter may get home before it gets bad Friday night. Kind of worried that my son has to drive to work on the highway at 5AM Saturday during the worst of it. :( Ever try to get a young guy to put a winter travel safety kit in his car? So far total fail. >:(

Gard

You are all safe! I live in the middle of nowhere. It's a small city with little traffic or I would not be trying this!

I will say I am making myself very jittery by getting behind the wheel again. My brain is kind of jumping around even when I'm not driving, harder to focus, and I'm much more tired than usual. Gosh, it sort of feels like when you first learn to drive and you have to hyper-focus on every little thing. I guess the lag from the drugs contributes to this, too. I've been mostly puttering around in my neighborhood but today I am going to go downtown!

Oh dear, BG! I'm glad you got home. That sounds very scary!

Well, I'm off to a doctor's appointment and prescriptions to pick up today. Snow starts tomorrow and goes through Saturday, so I won't be out on the roads again until they are cleared. I guess my brain will be glad for the rest.

The snow is so very pretty, especially when I don't have to shovel or go anywhere, so that's my plan. My daughter may get home before it gets bad Friday night. Kind of worried that my son has to drive to work on the highway at 5AM Saturday during the worst of it. :( Ever try to get a young guy to put a winter travel safety kit in his car? So far total fail. >:(

Gard

It's great you can drive even if it's just a little! I'm thankful I've been able to drive throughout this whole nightmare, even when deleterious. For some reason it helps distract because I have to focus so hard.

I just shovelled snow for the third time this winter! Hope no one else has to do that.

I also know how many men are about the survival kit. It took years before my wife could talk me into carrying one in the car.  Now I'm older and wiser but there was a time when I knew everything and had all the answers.  :laugh:

Hello to all who are suffering from headaches,

I used to be a a very very much daily headache person for many years until I discovered my headaches were food allergy related.

I had tried everything possible to get rid of my headaches and was on fiorinal and/or fioricet for many years. They weren't migraines, they had  resulted in what the dr described were tension type headaches that resulted from tightening  in the muscles surrounding my neck and head. Anyway, after eliminating the culprits that caused my headaches, by process of elimination, I discovered that my triggers were high fructose corn syrup, sulfites ( in wine, dried fruits,and some other things,I have read labels) msg, chocolate. I have to be careful or I will get a killer headache.

Any way, I am off the fiorinal except for rare instances when something slips by me or I cheat and have chocolate. It isn't easy but  it's worth the effort because my headaches are gone!

I do think it's worth the effort to eliminate some or all of the above triggers I mentioned because it may help.

HERE IS SOMETHING ELSE  I discovered during my taper. One of the wd sxs I had for about three months, every single night without fail, was a killer headache. Even the fiorinal/fioricet did not help.

So Here is another remedy I used to do that worked

I PUT AN ICE PACK ON MY HEAD IN THE AREA THAT HURT THE MOST. MY PAIN USED TO TRAVEL FROM SIDE OF MY HEAD TO TOP, TO FOREHEAD ETC. SO I MOVED THE ICEPACK AROUND.I EVEN WENT TO SLEEP WITH THE ICE PACK ON MY HEAD.

I would suggest to try it. ALSO, I DID NOT USE A CONVENTIONAL ICE PACK. I used two wet washcloths, squeezed out so they were not dripping wet, and layed flat. I put them into one or two plastic bags. layed out flat. Then  I curved them a bit before putting them in the freezer so they would conform to my head a bit better. You can definitely use two plastic ziplock bags if you find they leak. That's what I did too. I used my own  home made ice packs because they lasted much longer than a conventional ice PACK and because they covered more of the area of my head, and  they did not leak. I made two of them so I always had one extra in the freezer if I needed it.

it sounds crazy, but it worked. It took the headache away so I could sleep. I never woke up with a headache, never got it during the day, but always got it around 3 or 4 in the afternoon without fail, and the ice pack worked. Sometimes I walked around with it tied onto my head! But mostly I'd lay down with it.

So maybe you should give it a try? It certainly can't hurt.

I wish you the best in finding a solution that helps. I know how hurtful and debilitating a bad headache can be. I used to be the headache queen, but not anymore!

I wish you fast healing and better days  ahead.

Heath  :smitten::therethere:

Sorry about the snow problems many of you are having. I live in Southern California so I don't have that problem. Used to live in Brooklyn New York so I Know what you mean. But can't deny that it is a gorgeous site, ....... until it turns to gray slush. I hope you all have a beautiful White Christmas if that's your holiday.  For me, it may as well be Christmas in July! No white Christmas in southern Ca!

Heath, thank you so much for that headache advice. I will definitely try the home-made ice packs. So I take it that cold and not heat is the way to go for the head?

I did eat some very dark chocolate yesterday, but only one little tiny square! And I have felt the headache building throughout the week, so not sure if it contributed. But I have heard that chocolate is not great in general for people who get headaches, so I may have to give it up entirely.  Waahh...

I certainly can't take Norco every evening. It did knock the headache down last night, but I swear I could still feel it trying to bust through. I slept tolerably well (for me), which was nice, but the head pressure is back today and I'm very sedated and woozy from the narcotic. So I only want to reach for that when really necessary.

Can you tell me more about fioricet? Was it helpful? Did you take it daily, or just when you felt a headache coming on? Any idea if it affects GABA and should be avoided by someone tapering?

Thank you!

Heath, thank you so much for that headache advice. I will definitely try the home-made ice packs. So I take it that cold and not heat is the way to go for the head?

I did eat some very dark chocolate yesterday, but only one little tiny square! And I have felt the headache building throughout the week, so not sure if it contributed. But I have heard that chocolate is not great in general for people who get headaches, so I may have to give it up entirely.  Waahh...

I certainly can't take Norco every evening. It did knock the headache down last night, but I swear I could still feel it trying to bust through. I slept tolerably well (for me), which was nice, but the head pressure is back today and I'm very sedated and woozy from the narcotic. So I only want to reach for that when really necessary.

Can you tell me more about fioricet? Was it helpful? Did you take it daily, or just when you felt a headache coming on? Any idea if it affects GABA and should be avoided by someone tapering?

Thank you!

I would avoid fioricet. It's a mix of caffeine, Tylenol, and a barbiturate. You don't want the caffeine or the barbiturate of you are tapering. I went to the ER with a bad headache once and and they gave me a script for it. Never filled it after I saw what was in it.

Thanks Hope. Yeah, those ingredients don't sound like the right things for someone tapering.

Monster headache slamming me again this evening. Took three aspirin as soon as I got home from work. Will invent an ice pack.

Really not liking this...  :(

Sorry about the snow problems many of you are having. I live in Southern California so I don't have that problem. Used to live in Brooklyn New York so I Know what you mean. But can't deny that it is a gorgeous site, ....... until it turns to gray slush. I hope you all have a beautiful White Christmas if that's your holiday.  For me, it may as well be Christmas in July! No white Christmas in southern Ca!

My sister in CA never has a white Christmas, either. And I don't think she misses it! :laugh:  Actually, I love the snow and cold. It's the gray skies and long nights that get me down. Of course, I don't ever have to drive in blizzards any more. That's one good thing about being forced into early retirement. Tomorrow I will be home with hot tea watching the pretty snow. (And trying not to worry about my kids who aren't the slightest bit worried themselves.)

Would anyone know if Aleve (naproxen, anti-inflammatory) would be bad to take during a taper? My doctor wants me on a high dose for 5 days to take down some swelling from my sprained ankle that has settled in my foot and is being very stubborn.

Gard

Thank you!

Hi SS,

For me the ice works the best. Some people put heat on the back of their neck because for some people the neck muscles tighten and cause a headache. That isn't the case with me. I do get horrible neck pain but it does not radiate into my head.

About the fioricet. Fioricet is made up of three ingredients: butalbital ( it's a barbiturate), caffeine, and acetametaphin. Fiorinal is the same medicine except instead of the acetametaphin it contains aspirin.

Mine is the lowest dose: butalbitAl 50 mg, acetametaphin 300 mg, caffeine 40 mg . The fiorinal is the same dose except instead of acetametaphin, it has 325 mg aspirin.

I take the generic which is called Butalbital/aspirin or acetametaphin/caffeine.

Now a days, I only need half to one pill and my headache is gone but the prescription says you can take up to 3 or 4 a day,( 1 every 6 to 8 hours) BUT IT DEFINITELY IS NOT SOMETHING TO TAKE DAILY, IT IS HABIT FORMING. ITS ONLY FOR A KILLER HEADACHE. I WAS ONCE TAKING TOO MUCH AND THE DOCTOR REDUCED MY PRESCRIPTION TO 20 tablets every 6 months.

The fiorinal only comes in capsules so I open the capsule and take only half of the contents when I think I only will need half. The fioricet comes in both capsules and tablets.

I have been using this med for about45 years. It is the only thing that ever took my headaches away. Before I found out they were allergy related I got horrible headaches about once a week with other milder ones almost every single day. I didn't take the fiorinsl for a mild headache.When I didn't know what was causing the headaches when I was in my twenties, when I got a headache it was a real killer and I would take two at a time. I don't know if that was dangerous, but nothing bad ever happened and it took my headache away( with a real good nap as Well). Those were very difficult times fir me. After menopause, the headaches subsided too.

These drugs can be habit forming. But I never got addicted to them.

I never asked my doc specifically if there is any kind of drug interaction with Valium and this drug, but I have been taking both and nothing has ever happened as a result. But then I do not take the fiorinal/fioricet often because I don't get the real bad headaches very often now that I know my trigger foods and I avoid them like the plague.

I don't know anything about it's effect on gaba. It is a barbiturate so i don't think it would be a good idea to take them together in one swallow, or in large doses. But as I said, I definitely only take it About once every ten days and only 1/2 to 1 pill. That's all I need. My headaches are now very much under control. And I am on a low dose of Valium too, 1.18 mg all day. I should also add that this is a med that is geared specifically for headaches, It doesn't work on any other kind of pain. It was originally prescribed for me by a neurologist but my GP prescribes it for me now.

I would tell you to talk to your doctor about it. He/she would be able to advise you much better than me.

But I hope I have helped you in some way.

Heath :smitten:

Heath  here with very important question. Not sure that anyone will know the answer but everyone's best ideas are welcome. I'm looking for some hope.

In the past. before all this  Valium stuff started I was pretty healthy.

However, I did develop lymphocytic colitis about 5 years ago. No doc could tell me where it came from, but I swear it was from extremely strong I've anyibiotics I was on for 3 days in the hospital that probably tore up my gut and killed off all my good gut bacteria.

It's a much milder kind of colitis that seems to disappear without explanation, just like it started. After 4 1/2 years it did just disappear.  It was gone as of last February.

I also have had lumbar spine surgery that was completely 100% successful.

I have cervical spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease.

But I did NOT have neck pain before my taper.

SO, NOW I HAVE NECK PAIN AND TUMMY TROUBLE!  My doc says there is nothing more they can do for my neck pain that I am already doing. I won't take opiates. He doesn't have any idea about diazepam tapering and has no idea if it is benzo tapering wd sxs related.

My Gastroenterology doctor us out of town so I can't question him about this.

SO RIGHT MOW IAM SCARED ABOUT MY NECK  AND TUMMY. AM I GETTING THE COLITIS AGAIN?

Am I doomed with this neck pain for the rest of my life?

OR CAN THIS Really all be benzo related?!

I think I read on one if these forums that benzo wd sxs will often hit you hard in areas where you have had previous difficulties.

Is that true or am I imagining it?

Iknow we are all not doctors, and no one answer is the only answer but when I am upset I don't think clearly. Everything gets very scary and I don't know what really makes sense.

I was very happily going along with my taper and my hold, going through my wd sxs with courage and doing ok. But now I am just miserable and scared.

I cant wait until the new year so I can start to taper again. I hope it may make a difference in these two areas of pain and discomfort. 

Do I have to wait until I am off the drug and finished with recovery to find out if these things are benzo related or not.

I don't want to run from dr to dr with complaints. It gets me no where and it is exhausting. The last time I had a muscle wd sxs I was sent to two different docs, had tests done that all came back clear as a whistle. No one could find a damn thing wrong. And even if I hinted to them if they thought it could be a wd sxs they did not know. THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING. EVEN MY PSYCH DOC SHOOK HIS HEAD NOT KNOWING THE ANSWER. And ya know what? After three long horrible months, it did go away by itself. IT WAS A WD SXS! Oh I hope this neck and tummy thing are wd sxs. I'll suffer through it but at least I will know it's a sxs and will have hope for the future.

Encouraging words welcome

Heath  :'( :-\:-[

Heath  here with very important question. Not sure that anyone will know the answer but everyone's best ideas are welcome. I'm looking for some hope.

However, I did develop lymphocytic colitis about 5 years ago. No doc could tell me where it came from, but I swear it was from extremely strong I've anyibiotics I was on for 3 days in the hospital that probably tore up my gut and killed off all my good gut bacteria.

It's a much milder kind of colitis that seems to disappear without explanation, just like it started. After 4 1/2 years it did just disappear.  It was gone as of last February.

SO, NOW I HAVE NECK PAIN AND TUMMY TROUBLE!  My doc says there is nothing more they can do for my neck pain that I am already doing. I won't take opiates. He doesn't have any idea about diazepam tapering and has no idea if it is benzo tapering wd sxs related.

SO RIGHT MOW IAM SCARED ABOUT MY NECK  AND TUMMY. AM I GETTING THE COLITIS AGAIN?

I think I read on one if these forums that benzo wd sxs will often hit you hard in areas where you have had previous difficulties.

Iknow we are all not doctors, and no one answer is the only answer but when I am upset I don't think clearly. Everything gets very scary and I don't know what really makes sense.

I was very happily going along with my taper and my hold, going through my wd sxs with courage and doing ok. But now I am just miserable and scared.

I cant wait until the new year so I can start to taper again. I hope it may make a difference in these two areas of pain and discomfort. 

Do I have to wait until I am off the drug and finished with recovery to find out if these things are benzo related or not.

I don't want to run from dr to dr with complaints. It gets me no where and it is exhausting. The last time I had a muscle wd sxs I was sent to two different docs, had tests done that all came back clear as a whistle. No one could find a damn thing wrong. And even if I hinted to them if they thought it could be a wd sxs they did not know. THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING. EVEN MY PSYCH DOC SHOOK HIS HEAD NOT KNOWING THE ANSWER. And ya know what? After three long horrible months, it did go away by itself. IT WAS A WD SXS! Oh I hope this neck and tummy thing are wd sxs. I'll suffer through it but at least I will know it's a sxs and will have hope for the future.

Heath,

I've had neck pain and back spasms all throughout my taper off and on.  Never had it before benzos. I've always had somewhat of an irritable bowel but able to manage it with diet.  Now that I'm tapering benzos my gut is a wreck.  So it's entirely likely most of your symptoms are withdrawal related or at least very much exacerbated by the withdrawal and should improve with time.  But of course if you are concerned, always safe to get it checked out.  Both muscle and GI issues are very common in withdrawal.

Hope

Heath,

I've had neck pain and back spasms all throughout my taper off and on.  Never had it before benzos. I've always had somewhat of an irritable bowel but able to manage it with diet.  Now that I'm tapering benzos my gut is a wreck.  So it's entirely likely most of your symptoms are withdrawal related or at least very much exacerbated by the withdrawal and should improve with time.  But of course if you are concerned, always safe to get it checked out.  Both muscle and GI issues are very common in withdrawal.

Hope

Heath I completely agree with Hope, it will come and go, it has for me, and it is like she stated about withdrawal, and I know my tummy is better now, and I have had trouble off and on for a long time, but finally getting it under control. :)

Heathcliff,

I have had the neck pain off and on during this entire taper. I read that it is quite common in withdrawal as are other muscle pains all over the body. I never ever had them until this taper.

I found a video on you tube by Charles Linden. He shows you how to locate the tight muscles in the neck  and release the tension. It worked for me,..he also showed on a you tube video how to exercise the jaw since I also get jaw pain or TMJ as it is referred to.

Now to the stomach. I have read that there is more gaba receptors in our gut than our heads! Wow eh!

I also suffered from IBS stuff prior to benzos and during this taper my IBS flares up regularely.

I have found two substances that work for me. They are both smooth muscle relaxers and work only on the gut walls, they are not absorbed like other meds. One is called Buscopan, available where I am over the counter and also on Ebay, the other which for me works better than anything is Colofac.

I buy that on line from the UK, again no prescription needed. The active ingrediant in Colofac is Mebeverine and is also in a powder form in Fybogel Mebeverine.

I have learned over the course of my years tapering that we need to expect these issues and after the initial fear or yuk passes, deal with them as best we can. I have read and firmly believe that these nagging persistant painful things will end as we get closer to zero benzo and beyond.

Stay strong and believe in your bodies God given design that it will heal and return to a state of balance once off this stuff.

Peace & Heaking my friend.  :thumbsup:

ATU

Thank you all for your detailed encouragement.

I will ask my doc about the  buscopan and  colofac for my tummy.

Hope something Works! I live n USA so I hope those meds are available here.

Thanks to you all,

Heath  :-\

Thanks to you all,

Have you tried the Celestial Peppermint Tea, it relaxes the gut also, and it has done wonders for me. :)

Thanks to you all,

Have you tried the Celestial Peppermint Tea, it relaxes the gut also, and it has done wonders for me. :)

:thumbsup: I drink peppermint tea every day!

I'm finally back home. Not sure when I'm going to end my long hold. I've been holding until I got resettled in America in my home town. My wife is a week away. Not sure what I'm going to do then.

Thanks to you all,

:thumbsup: I drink peppermint tea every day!

Well it is my new best friend for sure, tummy flatter and the little man is not sitting on my chest, bloat down, little man gone, I would think I was up to my Gills...... ;):angel:

[36...]