Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Hi MIYU, :angel:

Sorry you are still burning! I'm wondering if you can explain exactly what you mean by "burning". ???

My neck pain has been with me since mid August and doesn't want to go away. When I read your last post, it just hit  me that the pain I have in my neck is different than other pains I have. I could almost describe it as a burning pain. Kind of like when I was a kid and the mean kids would give us "Indian burns" by holding on to our arm with their two hands and twisting the skin in two different directions. I hope I am explaining it right. It's not like it's on fire, but it's a different kind of pain. Also kind of like when you slide down a hill on bare skin. Is that what you mean?

I'm still trying to figure out if my neck pain is withdrawal related or something with my cervical spine. Don't want to have another MRI. Doc says he doesnt think it's spine related. Don't know if I should insist on an MRI again.

Meanwhile,I'm just holding and waiting until after the holidays to start a micro taper. Waiting and being PATIENT is so very hard. I wanted to make a tiny cut so much! I just may try one tiny cut at the four month mark, (in about a week.) And then continue to hold until after Jan1.

Still mulling that around.  :crazy:

I hope you feel better and your burning and any other wd sxs subside real soon. Hang in there,

Heath  :smitten::therethere:

V

I just woke up. Your evenings are my mornings. LOL

Sorry you got hit by an "experimental" cut. That's a bummer. But I'm glad you are feeling better.

It makes me think harder about my desire to make a tiny one time cut to see what happens at the four month mark.  And then continue to hold till after Jan 1. You are sure correct when you say it is so hard to hold for so long!

I'm still mulling things around in my brain and don't know what I'm going to do.

Hope you are feeling better and better and your wd sxs get back to where they were or even better than before your last cut.

Heath :) :) :) :)

V

I just woke up. Your evenings are my mornings. LOL

Sorry you got hit by an "experimental" cut. That's a bummer. But I'm glad you are feeling better.

It makes me think harder about my desire to make a tiny one time cut to see what happens at the four month mark.  And then continue to hold till after Jan 1. You are sure correct when you say it is so hard to hold for so long!

I'm still mulling things around in my brain and don't know what I'm going to do.

Hope you are feeling better and better and your wd sxs get back to where they were or even better than before your last cut.

Heath :) :) :) :)

Thanks Heath!  I know it will get better. Thank heavens I did the long hold experiment and know it works lol.  :)--V

Heath and friends, what do you do for your neck and shoulder pain? I have something going on now that's really annoying. it is a problem that I have had for years - it flares and goes away again. But this week it flared and is sticking with me. I'm guessing that it's something to do with the tapering of Valium and muscle/nerve reaction. Old injuries come back to bite us.

It's a sort of burning pain along the top of my left shoulder, extending up a bit into my neck.

I know exactly how I got it. Twenty years ago, I was painting the floorboards of my house. It took about 5 days. I crawled around for hours, on my hands and knees. I had my full weight on my left hand while I painted with my right. And I felt that pain begin on top of my left shoulder. I ignored it and kept on painting. The follies of youth - didn't think that it would be a bother in middle age.

This little injury has stayed with me ever since, but only in a very minimal way until now. Maybe a pinched nerve, which the taper has now set off?

I went to Amazon and ordered a neck-wrap thing that I can microwave to make it hot, and also a hand-held massage wand thingy. Hoping they will be waiting for me in a delivery box when I get home from work tonight.

Any other advice on this? I take Motrin and Tylenol, almost daily for this, and for headaches and backaches... too often, I know. And I try to do some neck rolls and stretches a couple of times a day. But don't of any specific ones that might be better than others.

Hope you all are doing OK. Sorry you got a slap, ValleyUm. I've just reached 30 days, which was my usual hold time. So I'm interested in seeing if I start to feel better as I move into a longer hold. I sure hope so!

~SS

Heath and friends, what do you do for your neck and shoulder pain? I have something going on now that's really annoying. it is a problem that I have had for years - it flares and goes away again. But this week it flared and is sticking with me. I'm guessing that it's something to do with the tapering of Valium and muscle/nerve reaction. Old injuries come back to bite us.

It's a sort of burning pain along the top of my left shoulder, extending up a bit into my neck.

I know exactly how I got it. Twenty years ago, I was painting the floorboards of my house. It took about 5 days. I crawled around for hours, on my hands and knees. I had my full weight on my left hand while I painted with my right. And I felt that pain begin on top of my left shoulder. I ignored it and kept on painting. The follies of youth - didn't think that it would be a bother in middle age.

This little injury has stayed with me ever since, but only in a very minimal way until now. Maybe a pinched nerve, which the taper has now set off?

I went to Amazon and ordered a neck-wrap thing that I can microwave to make it hot, and also a hand-held massage wand thingy. Hoping they will be waiting for me in a delivery box when I get home from work tonight.

Any other advice on this? I take Motrin and Tylenol, almost daily for this, and for headaches and backaches... too often, I know. And I try to do some neck rolls and stretches a couple of times a day. But don't of any specific ones that might be better than others.

Hope you all are doing OK. Sorry you got a slap, ValleyUm. I've just reached 30 days, which was my usual hold time. So I'm interested in seeing if I start to feel better as I move into a longer hold. I sure hope so!

~SS

Sorry about the pain SS. I've certainly had shoulder neck and back pain throughout this ordeal and know it's withdrawal related. For some reason my pain is dropping off the lower I get. I use heating pads, ibuprofen gentle stretching etc. to help the sxs. At one point in this taper, I couldn't sleep very well because of the pain so I'm glad it's fading. Hope you find some relief soon! :)--V

Heath,

I've had some blips the last couple of days but they were mild and I chalk them up, largely, to stress.  The good news is that  some pretty intense stuff did not knock me for a loop and I am feeling very well this morning while still handling some difficult issues.

Hi Lynne,

You know, I have had some extra stress this past week too. Maybe that explains, just like you said, my new wd sxs too? Thanks for the tip. I hope your stressful situations are under control now. Unfortunately, my have just begun. Too much going on in addition to " figuring out what  to give to who for the holidays"  it makes me crazy every year.

Heath :smitten:

~SS

Sorry about the pain SS. I've certainly had shoulder neck and back pain throughout this ordeal and know it's withdrawal related. For some reason my pain is dropping off the lower I get. I use heating pads, ibuprofen gentle stretching etc. to help the sxs. At one point in this taper, I couldn't sleep very well because of the pain so I'm glad it's fading. Hope you find some relief soon! :)--V

Hi SS,

I too have the worst neck pain. It has been there since mid August or before. I have tried everything you mention and that V has mentioned. Theses same things have helped me sometimes. The heating thing that goes in the microwave has helped me a lot too.

I happen to have a soft neck collar from a while back that was given to me by a spine doctor because I have cervical spinal stenosis. The thing is, my neck has not given me much pain for the longest time until August. That's why I am confused about whether the pain is spinal stenosis related of wd sxs related!

I hope it is wd sxs related because then I know it will go away eventually.the doctor does not think the pain is from my spine. So that's good.

But the reason I mention the soft neck collar is because it has helped enormously. If I wear it all the time my neck does  not bother me very much at all. Only thing is I hate to wear it. It also is not good to wear it too much because then the muscles in your neck and very upper back and shoulders become lazy.

I am not recommending that you wear a neck collar unless a doctor says it's ok and it might help. They only cost about $20 at a pharmacy store.

I hope you find an answer to this neck thing. It really is the worst thing I have experienced as far as wd sxs go. If you find something else that works, please let everyone know.

Thanks!, and peace and healing to you! I hope your days get better and your struggles lighter.

Heath  :):smitten:

Thanks for the advice V and Heath. Maybe I'll get a one of those collars and see how it goes. It might be helpful to wear it during work, and I could keep it off when I'm at home. I have more of a shoulder thing than a neck thing going on, but they're closely connected.

HI AF1 and Heath ...... :)

AF1 thanks for the warning on shilijit... I'll look into that, it's such a great product for mineral deficiency... Boy , is there nothing we can take!

Heath, on the burning , it's like being constantly sun burned, my skin is burning hot all the time , and then in my spine it feels more internal too, kind of how you described it when someone ( boys!) gave you a ' burn' at school...

It's very uncomfortable , yes, it really feels like a bad sunburn ,malomg with a kind of prickly heat .

Hope that helps explain it.

I'm glad you are doing well for the most part .

Love to everyone  :smitten:

Thanks for the advice V and Heath. Maybe I'll get a one of those collars and see how it goes. It might be helpful to wear it during work, and I could keep it off when I'm at home. I have more of a shoulder thing than a neck thing going on, but they're closely connected.

I don't think a neck collar would hurt you but I'm not a doctor.i am only telling you my experience and my opinion.

It may work fine for you, however, IMO, ask your doctor if it is ok.

Best of good days to you!

Heath ???::)

HI AF1 and Heath ...... :)

AF1 thanks for the warning on shilijit... I'll look into that, it's such a great product for mineral deficiency... Boy , is there nothing we can take!

Heath, on the burning , it's like being constantly sun burned, my skin is burning hot all the time , and then in my spine it feels more internal too, kind of how you described it when someone ( boys!) gave you a ' burn' at school...

It's very uncomfortable , yes, it really feels like a bad sunburn ,malomg with a kind of prickly heat .

Hope that helps explain it.

I'm glad you are doing well for the most part .

Love to everyone  :smitten:

Thanks MIYU,

I guess my neck pain is different than your burning pain. Mine is not like a sunburn.  But what the heck. Pain is pain! I hope yours and mine both go away already!

Feel good MIYU!  :smitten:

On neck pain: I have chronic migraines, and arthritis in my neck. I am fortunate enough to have been receiving physical therapy for this for years. With the added neck pain from withdraw, my PT is continuing the regimen. It does help, so going to share:

1. High end pillows. I bought 3 of the ISO brand in a  a variety of thickness, I like the the 4 inch the best. One side has cooling gel. These were worth the price, the night support cut my pain in half. Got mine on Amazon. Now my  grown daughters are using them too, just because they are awesome.

2. Neck stretching exercises (a lot of the pain is tension. Think about it, your neck is the first area of your spine where your nervous system leaves the brain) They are easy, find some on you tube.

3. Not doing exercises which strain the neck (such as lifting weights over your head)

4. Strengthening your upper back and arms to take some of the burden.

5. A weekly deep tissue massage. If you can't get one, you can use a foam roller and not only roll over your spine, but also spend plenty of time rolling it under your neck. I do this twice a day.

6. Get 2 tennis balls and duc tape them together. Put them under your neck and lay on them, they will push into the muscles on either side, also simulating deep tissue massage.

7. My PT is not a fan of collars, as she prefers her clients to both build up surrounding muscle, and repetitively loosen the muscles instead of constraining them. Hence, my neck stretching, foam roller, and tennis balls. I wont dictate to anyone however, if it helps, it helps.

I also have cooling packs and a microwavable heat pac, but I don't even bother anymore. I have come to just go meh with this symptom.

A note on the foam roller. It feels gooood. I take my time, and roll out over my spine, my butt, my neck, my legs, I turn slightly sideways and get my shoulder areas. It can be helpful when I am having a panic attack to get on it. I bike and exercise a lot, and roll and stretch after I am active, and I use it when I feel the anxiety building. If nothing else, get a foam roller, try it. It's a surprising little gem that helps.

Hope these help. It wont go away until it wants to, but these things will really aid physiologically, even if the pain and burning persist, at least you know you are optimizing the muscles and making your body as healthy as possible to deal with this specific symptom.

Thanks so much bad dove!

I'll try the tennis ball thing and the foam roller. Haven't ever tried those.i have the special neck pillow but I forgot  to mention it in my last email, so I'm glad you added that too.

You are right about the neck collar. I am careful not to wear it tightly or too often, but when my neck is really bothering me, it is the best and most real relief I get. It practically takes all the pain away. I don't know the science behind it, but for me, I think it is taking some if the weight of my head off of my neck. It doesn't constrict my neck and I still have complete motion because I wear it very loose.  I don't really know.But, yes I have to be careful to wear it only when I have to.

I'm really Glad you chimed in here. Really good suggestions!!

We can use all the help we can get! Hope YOU are doing better!

Heath :D:);)

Hi all,

I'm new to the long hold group, but I think the idea of long holds would best benefit me at this point. Even though I'm done tapering Ativan, I still have a bit to go with Xanax. I recently tried a cut, but the horrible symptoms haven't let up since, so I'm going to return to my previous dose and try to stabilize  and give myself time to heal. I also wanted to hold and feel well for a trip in February.

Nice to meet you all.  :smitten:

Hi all,

I'm new to the long hold group, but I think the idea of long holds would best benefit me at this point. Even though I'm done tapering Ativan, I still have a bit to go with Xanax. I recently tried a cut, but the horrible symptoms haven't let up since, so I'm going to return to my previous dose and try to stabilize  and give myself time to heal. I also wanted to hold and feel well for a trip in February.

Hello CR 007! And welcome!

A long hold at this time sounds like a good idea! It will give your CNS time to adjust and heal.You have 3 months until February and that is a nice hold!  Hopefully it will put you in a good place by February.

Once again, WELCOME CR 007

Glad you popped in!

Heath :);):yippee::clap:

Hi all,

Welcome CR. We're glad you're here! :)--V

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and encouragement! :) I think my CNS has had enough for now, and that I should give myself more time to adjust and heal. For some reason Xanax seems more difficult to taper than Ativan :o So many of you are doing a great job and are so close to being free! We just have to take it at our own pace.

CR,

Could you describe your experience from .125mg down to where you are?  Were you having significant wd all the way or did things get worse as you got lower?  I was planning to "walk off" at .03  - how low do you think you will go?

Thanks for the info.  I'm trying to gauge what to expect.  I'm hoping that the last few months won't be too awful ???

Lynn,

My first few cuts didn't seem too terrible actually. I was actually going at a 2-3 week pace each cut and didn't seem to be having many extreme symptoms. I would say around September this year is when I started having the most trouble. (Though I'm also still withdrawing from Ativan so it's hard to know which is which.)

I'd been holding since the end of July and thought the 3 month hold would be enough, but I was hit hard stepping down this time. (Maybe the first few cuts are finally catching up with me if that's possible?) November rolls around and I try to take one step down, terrible symptoms didn't let up at all for 2 weeks so I decided to step back up one dose and wait a while to taper again.

I've found that during the last few cuts I seem to get physically sick oddly enough, which probably revs up my system. That and I've heard the immune system is affected in withdrawal.

At least for me, things have seemed to get worse as I went lower. I'm not saying the first cuts weren't difficult, but this one was unbearable. I am very sensitive to meds, so that could be making things harder.

I plan to jump around .03 as well or a step lower since Xanax is giving me a harder time than Ativan.

Sorry for rambling, but I hope I was some help! I'm hoping things won't be too difficult for us if we take our time. :)

[35...]