Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

good morning

Could someone please answer something for me..it didnt hit me til this morning that all the time i have taken k even before i started to taper the dose was always the same...

could i be struggling more cause my doses are so different cause even when tapering i was always told to keep the 4 doses as close to the same gms as possible..like i was before i updosed took .87 .87 .87 .87 then would cut .001 off 1 dose alternating doses..

well since i updosed back in may...and now that i weigh out the powder from crushing it that started in july..my weights per day are

.130 .130 .087 .130...and to me that .087 is throwing a wrench into it..i know at the end of the day its still 2.75 and i know about the half life but couldnt the difference and everything throw me off depending on how fast my body metabolizes the med?

and yet i dont think it would be a good idea just to make them all even at once and that would be a big change..

i am really struggling with everything from eating to walking and the heart rate..i cant go anywhere without being in a wheel chair and sure wish i knew what to do but the reason i am asking this is my son said why is the one dose so little..

would appreciate any help as i am just so sick and cant find any light anymore..i am just down and out

I have been holding at this dose since May and it seems like i am just getting worse

also i have the basic scale and i have found that it can be off quite a bit over the doses of one day..so do you think its worth the money to get the 900.00 scale pharmacy that goes out 0000 four digits so i could be more accurate.hubby says get it and so does my son and terri but just wondering if anyone has it and is using it..i know one person on the fb group that has it.

hugs

deep

Hi deep. The irregular dosing could be a issue.  I'm not sure about K except that it has a long half life. I do know that my morning dose of V is much lower than the evening and I plan on eliminating it but V definitely has different properties. I'm wondering about using a scale to MT. Would it be easier to use liquid?  I would be concerned about the amount of actual drug I was getting if I used a scale as there are so many fillers. Just a thought. It seems many do fine using a scale. Have you seen any improvement at all during your hold? There seems to be something going on whether its your taper or some other health issue. I wish I could give you more advice. I hope someone using a scale will chime in. So sorry you continue to have it so rough. I was hoping everyone would be able to pull out of tapering purgatory by holding but some continue to struggle. We are here to support you! :)--V

Thanks Val for getting back to me...I have always used a scale and micro taped..and as far as the fillers i crush the pills and mix it before i weigh it since then i am not getting a piece with more filler it would be more evened out.  And no i havent seen any improvements at all and yet i know an updose is not the answer. There are days when i wonder after 35 yrs of 4 mgs of k a day if i can get off being 57 yrs old..I sure wish i would have just kept going like i was and would have never tapered at all...i did it because i thought i would feel better but that was not the case.

i have put on a few pounds i am now from 97 to 104 but thats been a real roller coaster too and i am struggling to hold onto that ..i cant believe that last year at this time hubby and me were on a wonderful fun filled vacation and today i have to be pushed in a wheelchair to go to a docs office.

thanks again my friend

deep

Deep , I'm so sorry for your struggles.....I too am 57.... That's not old! We have many good years ahead I believe once off these drugs. It'll be and is the hardest thing we will ever do , but you can do it! Does your husband know it will take a long time ? Ito good that he is there for you.

I wish I could advise you on the K dosing. Have you posted in a K withdrawal group?

I was afraid to switch to liquid myself as I've been so unstable all along . I crush my V pills like you do and weigh using a Gemini 20 scale. I think I will get a better scale , I think it's a good idea as these are not so reliable.

You'll make it, one day you will be free and happy again.  :smitten:

Heath, sorry for your ups and downs , don't let the downs make y think detox is a good idea! You're doing great! And you are healing as you are getting Windows !

Valley , hope you are feeling better..... Great that you can taper again though.

I've had a rough few days after my 1/4 mg cut, days continue to be very hard. Does anyone feel worse after they take their morning V dose? I think because my body is already in a state of rest , and my heart beat is low, taking V when I wake up, ( my body wakes me up with a start usually exactly 12 hours after my eve dose, ready for the am V) slows it down even further. I used to fall back to sleep but now I just lay there feeling awful!

I'm dreaming a lot , sometimes nightmares..... I read that dreaming is a sign of brain healing ?

:smitten:

Hi Miyu. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm feeling better today thank heavens. I did want to mention I hate my morning dose of V. The evening dose feels great but the morning dose seems to make me feel worse which is why I'm cutting it out. At one point in my taper I was only taking 2.5mg in the morning and 10mg at night and felt a lot better than when I evened out the doses. I wish I had just left it alone but was afraid as everyone was saying they needed to be even.

As far as the dreaming goes, I actually enjoy that part of withdrawal the most. I love dreaming all night long and haven't had any nightmares (so there is something positive about withdrawal lol). It is a sign your brain is waking up again but we still don't get into the deepest level of sleep. REM sleep is when we dream and is the last stage of sleep right before waking. We seem to be stuck in a perpetual REM cycle during withdrawal and I believe that's a big reason for the fatigue (among others).

I hope your sleep improves. Even REM sleep is better than nothing.  :)--V

Thanks for the encouragement MiYu. I'm trying hard to be positive. My waves n the afternoons are back and my window has returned in the evening but the window has shortened somewhat.

Lately my days are extreme and unpredictable. Either full of waves and short windows, or long window and great day only to end about 5 o'clock and I go to sleep shaking.

Sleep has gotten a bit worse too.

What can I say? Just when I think things are getting better, wham.

But I am hanging inafter a complete and crazy little breakdown a few days ago. Glad the buddies pulled me out if it.

Have a good  tomorrow, everyone.

Heath

Thanks Heath and Miyu!  Now I'm wondering if it was withdrawal related as my wife and daughter now have the same nausea. This process is such a head game. I can't tell between withdrawal and normal sickness or just feeling crappy. Can't wait until this is over for all of us!  :)--V

I can so relate to that! Having an autoimmune disorder with symptoms similar to w/d symptoms drives me crazy!

OK, so this is tangent of sorts, but I am wondering if I should even be trying to see a therapist during this w/d. I have tried several. One practice actually discharged when I was in acute w/d me after seeing me for years. They had a meeting, decided I had new, serious mental illness, and booted me out the door. I called my records to find out what happened. They wouldn't actually say anything directly to me except they could "no longer meet my needs." I was so upset to read the things that were in my chart. All stuff that was caused by the w/d but was written up as really serious mental issues. Never mentioned that I had none of these problems before they sent me to the psych nurse who drugged me. Heaven help me if anyone ever gets their hands on these records.

I did intakes and a few sessions with a couple of other practices. They also said they "couldn't meet my needs." And showed me the door. I didn't bother to call my records because these place charged by the page and I didn't want the upset again. But I suspect I have some dreadful diagnosis from them, too.

So it has come down to one woman in the whole county who is willing to see me who seems to believe these drugs are dangerous and supposedly will treat my PTSD, but after 3 months we haven't even started that. She is so busy I'm lucky if I can see her once or twice/month. And she has a rather unpleasant personality. She does have a lot of experience, though. But this whole process seems to just drain me and I wonder if it's worth it. Yet the kicker is, everyone (sleep doctor, therapist, primary) keeps telling me it's the PTSD that wakes me again and again. I was drugged because I was down to 0-2 hours of broken sleep/night. After many months of almost no sleep, I had dropped 20 pounds (and I am already slight of build) and was so non-functional I was going to die or end up in an assisted living because I could not even remember to eat. My brain was not functioning. At that point, I saw the psych nurse. If the nurse had said, "Here, take this cyanamide. It will help you sleep," I would have believed her and taken it.

So I wonder if anybody on this thread has had any success with therapy of any kind while in w/d. Or if they know of someone on BB who has. Or if there's no point. Thanks.

Gard

Thanks for the encouragement MiYu. I'm trying hard to be positive. My waves n the afternoons are back and my window has returned in the evening but the window has shortened somewhat.

Lately my days are extreme and unpredictable. Either full of waves and short windows, or long window and great day only to end about 5 o'clock and I go to sleep shaking.

Sleep has gotten a bit worse too.

What can I say? Just when I think things are getting better, wham.

But I am hanging inafter a complete and crazy little breakdown a few days ago. Glad the buddies pulled me out if it.

Have a good  tomorrow, everyone.

Heath, like you, my symptoms are all over the place, some days I am nothing but anguish, and the medication does not seem to relieve anything. Other days I get a few "shorties" (15 minutes to an hour) On rare days, I can get up to 3 hours. The last 3 nights have been dominated by insomnia, that's how I know I am in a wave.

I'm sorry for you, for me, and others that this is so awful.

My biggest freak out during the bad sxs is that I am tapering wrong and never going to get better, or get off this drug. It really scares me.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/baddove9/issues/14462828_1186299661442062_3044912306854421729_n.jpg

thanks to the both of you for telling me about the klonopin club but i have been on that thread for over 2 yrs..and know most there..

i posted this post on 3 threads that i am on so i could get more input with the scales and what some have done when it seems like everything they have tried has not worked or they have gotten worse..

thanks again

deep

Deep, if you get any useful responses on the scales thing would you post it or pm me? I feel crushing the pills is helpful , and I can't face a switch  to liquid , not just yet anyway . Too unstable .

I'm just not sure I have a good enough scale ....

Really hope your feel better soon , for me too!  :smitten:

OK, so this is tangent of sorts, but I am wondering if I should even be trying to see a therapist during this w/d. I have tried several. One practice actually discharged when I was in acute w/d me after seeing me for years. They had a meeting, decided I had new, serious mental illness, and booted me out the door. I called my records to find out what happened. They wouldn't actually say anything directly to me except they could "no longer meet my needs." I was so upset to read the things that were in my chart. All stuff that was caused by the w/d but was written up as really serious mental issues. Never mentioned that I had none of these problems before they sent me to the psych nurse who drugged me. Heaven help me if anyone ever gets their hands on these records.

I did intakes and a few sessions with a couple of other practices. They also said they "couldn't meet my needs." And showed me the door. I didn't bother to call my records because these place charged by the page and I didn't want the upset again. But I suspect I have some dreadful diagnosis from them, too.

So it has come down to one woman in the whole county who is willing to see me who seems to believe these drugs are dangerous and supposedly will treat my PTSD, but after 3 months we haven't even started that. She is so busy I'm lucky if I can see her once or twice/month. And she has a rather unpleasant personality. She does have a lot of experience, though. But this whole process seems to just drain me and I wonder if it's worth it. Yet the kicker is, everyone (sleep doctor, therapist, primary) keeps telling me it's the PTSD that wakes me again and again. I was drugged because I was down to 0-2 hours of broken sleep/night. After many months of almost no sleep, I had dropped 20 pounds (and I am already slight of build) and was so non-functional I was going to die or end up in an assisted living because I could not even remember to eat. My brain was not functioning. At that point, I saw the psych nurse. If the nurse had said, "Here, take this cyanamide. It will help you sleep," I would have believed her and taken it.

So I wonder if anybody on this thread has had any success with therapy of any kind while in w/d. Or if they know of someone on BB who has. Or if there's no point. Thanks.

Gard

Hi Gard. The sad thing is I have PTSD from benzo withdrawal lol. I think going through withdrawal just exacerbates or causes PTSD symptoms.  :)--V

Gard

Hi Gard. The sad thing is I have PTSD from benzo withdrawal lol. I think going through withdrawal just exacerbates or causes PTSD symptoms.  :)--V

I 100% agree with that. I had trauma they tried to treat with benzos and then the w/d re-traumatized me. I could deal with the effects of the trauma (and did for years) until it started waking and waking me over and over every night. And I don't know what kind of therapy can make that better, if any. Seems therapists just make me worse by being condescending and disbelieving that benzo w/d is really giving me the majority of my symptoms. And, I have found, that if you dare to disagree with a therapist you get shown the door pretty quickly. I think I have been booted out of more therapy practices than anybody around here. :P

I want to move back home where you are allowed to have a brain and use it. But my kids think of this wasteland as home now. :(

At any rate, I was supposed to have an appointment tomorrow and the therapist canceled it and can't see me again for 2 weeks. So I get a 2-week reprieve. :thumbsup:

Baddove, your picture posts crack me up!

Thanks for the laughs in the middle of my horrible days.

MiYu, I'm sorry about your troubles with klonopin. I really know nothing about klonopin. . But V seems to know a lot.

I hope all of us have better days soon. I am at day  49. That's 7 weeks. Still holding.

But at least I got good sleep last night,......

Heath :-[:-\

Someone had asked me to report back after I saw my neurosurgeon. So here it is.....

So if I finally  went to my neurosurgeon. He said my back pain and neck pain are NOT from my spine! Well I guess that's good, but now what?

As far as it being benzo withdrawal related, he can't say. He doesn't know. . I guess it's not his field of expertise. Can't blame him for not saying one way or another.

Who knows?

I guess I'll continue to wear my neck collar. It really is the only thing that takes the neck pain away. At this point I DO NOT WANT DRUGS!

Doc says it won't hurt to wear the collar when ever I want.

And I'll have to push myself back to the gym to learn some back strengthening exercises.

I sure hope these aches really are from benzo wdfx because I cannot even imagine having these aches for the rest of my life!

And if anyone in this forum is living in Florida USA or has loved ones there, I'm praying that all will be safe with Category 5!  hurricane battering the coast.

Heathcliff

Someone had asked me to report back after I saw my neurosurgeon. So here it is.....

So if I finally  went to my neurosurgeon. He said my back pain and neck pain are NOT from my spine! Well I guess that's good, but now what?

As far as it being benzo withdrawal related, he can't say. He doesn't know. . I guess it's not his field of expertise. Can't blame him for not saying one way or another.

Who knows?

I guess I'll continue to wear my neck collar. It really is the only thing that takes the neck pain away. At this point I DO NOT WANT DRUGS!

And I'll have to push myself back to the gym to learn some back strengthening exercises.

I sure hope these aches really are from benzo wdfx because I cannot even imagine having these aches for the rest of my life!

And if anyone in this forum is living in Florida USA or has loved ones there, I'm praying that all will be safe with Category 5!  hurricane battering the coast.

Heathcliff

Heath,

I'm sure it's withdrawal. My neck and back are hurting me too, and it's not something I had before benzos. I helped paint pumpkins for a few hours at my

Daughters school 2 mornings this week and moving them

Around and lifting them caused the pain to flare up. I woke up the next day wondering why my back hurt so much. Then I remembered the pumpkins and thought how silly that it could

Flare me up like that. We are just so fragile

In withdrawal.

Who knows?

Heathcliff

It's wd. All of us carry our respective tension in our shoulders and neck. I am in physical therapy for other issues, once I started the taper, the neck pain escalated. I have arthritis in my neck anyway, and migraines. Exercises that specifically stretch your neck, deep tissue massage, very high quality support pillows, and back and arm strengthening help tremendously. Keep your self loose. Yoga is good. I dance or wiggle throughout the day to keep from tightening up. If possible, physical therapy combined with deep tissue massage would be of great benefit. I have a thick foam roll which I use several times a day. I slowly do numerous repetitions from my scalp clear down to my knees  on my back, it feels so good. I position myself face up over it and have at it, it feels like a massage. Sorry if this is sloppy, on my phone.

The neck and shoulder pain has been with me since day one and is very annoying!  I do stretching, use a heating pad and, sometimes, take motrin.  It does drop off 2-4 wks after a cut.

I have the same thing Heath. I even had an MRI as I was convinced it was a disc problem. The MRI came back clean so I just chalk up the back and neck pain to withdrawal.  :)--V

I get that big kink in the muscle right below my rt shoulder towards the middle of my back, it is tight and painful, I found a cheap $10 vibrator with four pongs loosens that up and viola pain and tightness gone. It is not one bit like the first two tapers, those I could not unlock my shoulder muscle's from around my neck, it was just the pits of Hell I tell you. But now when I get just blippy and if a little more tight I pull out that cheapo vibrator, and works like magic. :thumbsup::smitten::thumbsup:

Wanted to share that I bought this book yesterday, read for 2 hours last night. It gives an upbeat but realistic look at our problems, and is written by one of our buddies. Really enjoying it, and even learning a few things. No freak out horror in here. I really like how alienated and dismissed the author felt by everyone but her spouse, and the typical behavior of medical providers: something we all experience.

"Accidental Addict: A True Story of Pain and Healing....also Marriage, Real Estate, And Cowboy Dancing" by Linda Crew

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ISB6JBG/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o01_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hello everyone,

I am tapering Lorazepam, using daily taper. I drop .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.

I started to experience severe anxiety, and my BP elevating in late afternoons.

And so, I decided to do a long hold.

I am holding now for 28 days.

But symptoms have not improved, and many additional symptoms have shown up.

I do not know what is happening with me and this hold ... I am trashed each day ..

This morning I woke up with hip pain that moves from my hip to my joint and thigh.

I cannot walk freely.

Where did this come from? I was fine when I went to sleep. My body is killing me with aches all over, with no mercy since early afternoon. I have headaches, which is a new symptom, a heaviness in my head, surges of unsteadiness, burning skin, a terrible anxiety with stomach aches. Palpitations and elevated BP.

I had the hip problem some months ago when I stepped wrong.

I went to a DO who worked with my hips and legs, and the problem resolved.

Now it is back :(

What is going on? Can you please tell me? Has anyone here experienced these troubles?

Should I resume the taper? This is so very painful ..

Please give me your thoughts. I would be grateful.

Wishing healing blessings to everyone.

Baddove,

Thanks for the book recommendation. I read the first three chapters of the book which were  available for free on Amazon. I enjoyed it, but it seems that this person was addicted to opioids, not Benzos. Does it get into benzo withdrawal too? Or are both withdrawals basically the same journey. I know nothing about opioids.

Thanks, Heathcliff

Baddove,

Thanks for the book recommendation. I read the first three chapters of the book which were  available for free on Amazon. I enjoyed it, but it seems that this person was addicted to opioids, not Benzos. Does it get into benzo withdrawal too? Or are both withdrawals basically the same journey. I know nothing about opioids.

Thanks, Heathcliff

The author is a member on this site. From my understanding she had to withdraw from both benzos and opioids. I think the book was just recently published, I have seen her talk about it here on the site. I haven't read it though, so bad dove will

Have to give you the review.

Hello everyone,

I am tapering Lorazepam, using daily taper. I drop .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.

I do not know what is happening with me and this hold ... I am trashed each day ..

This morning I woke up with hip pain that moves from my hip to my joint and thigh.

I cannot walk freely.

Where did this come from? I was fine when I went to sleep. My body is killing me with aches all over, with no mercy since early afternoon. I have headaches, which is a new symptom, a heaviness in my head, surges of unsteadiness, burning skin, a terrible anxiety with stomach aches. Palpitations and elevated BP.

What is going on? Can you please tell me? Has anyone here experienced these troubles?

Anoushka, I'm sorry you are having wore symtoms with your hold. I help for a month in September , and they cut almost 1/4 mg Valium in micro dosing, it is just over a week and I am having hellish symptoms again.... Different ones. One of my most difficult , apart from feeling like I have lead in my legs , is burning pain around my waistline and back ,really  horrible, and anxiety of course.

I don't know why symptoms get worse on a hold, but ValleyUm is great and I'm sure will advise you. I think it is just more healing of different things in the body, and that the symptoms will pass and then it is time to taper again. That is what I am planning to do. But it will make a very slow taper for me!

I plan to hold at least a month this time , more probably as I didn't do well when I started up again after September .

I'm sure ValleyUm will chime in and respond to you.  :smitten:

Does anyone else's here experience this horrible burning pain in the soft tissue and muscles  around the waist ,especially in the back? It scares me..... Also so leaden I can barely move.... Feeling scared :-[

MiYu

Hello everyone,

I cannot walk freely.

Hi anoushka,

I agree with everything MiYu said. I also believe that  ValleyUm , Anne, Lynne or BeGood will probably respond to you soon. They will give you great suggestions. They are all helping me through out my difficult journey.

But I thought I'd put my ideas into this discussion as well.

Iam a Valium person so I don't know much about lorazepam. But I do know for sure that the lower a person is  in  their taper, especially if a person is tapering too fast,  the more difficult the withdrawals may be.

It is wise to go very very slow as you get down in your dose. I see you are cutting .001 daily. That is a very small amount. So that's good. But perhaps you have not held long enough between doses in the past when wdfx have gotten worse?

If you add a signature to your post so the buddies will know where you are in your taper it might be easier for others to help you and give you good support.

Perhaps you are having a difficult time because you have not held long enough between cuts and you have inadvertently gone too fast in your taper? Perhaps your CNS has not had a chance to heal properly as you were cutting too fast, and now those (maybe too fast?) cuts are catching up with you? That might explain the worsening of your Wdfx. Perhaps it is time to do a longer hold to let you CNS catch up with your tapering.

But as far as wdfx go, the diversity of wdfx can change constantly. New ones come and old ones disappear, only to sometimes reappear at a later time. The ones you listed are ones I have seen posted here before. It can be scary and down right painful, but holding longer may help to get them to subside. Often a hold of 28 days is not long enough. I am sorry you are struggling so much.

I am in the middle of a long hold (almost two months and still holding), waiting for the wdfx of a too fast taper to subside before cutting again. I too have had new wdfx appear and others disappear. It's going to be a really long hold ( 3months at least) but it is working. I have heard that if you hold long enough to become stable, then when you start to taper again, the tapering goes more smoothly with less wdfx.

I'm sorry you are struggling. I hope your wdfx subside quickly. But don't rush your taper.  In my opinion, longer holds and smaller cuts  are the key and may just get you to a better place. And maybe more holds between cutting instead of daily cuts, even with a microtaper, may help. Especially if you are very low in your daily dose.

I hope that is of some help to you.

Heathcliff

Hello everyone,

I cannot walk freely.

Anoushka, I'm sorry you are having wore symtoms with your hold. I help for a month in September , and they cut almost 1/4 mg Valium in micro dosing, it is just over a week and I am having hellish symptoms again.... Different ones. One of my most difficult , apart from feeling like I have lead in my legs , is burning pain around my waistline and back ,really  horrible, and anxiety of course.

I don't know why symptoms get worse on a hold, but ValleyUm is great and I'm sure will advise you. I think it is just more healing of different things in the body, and that the symptoms will pass and then it is time to taper again. That is what I am planning to do. But it will make a very slow taper for me!

I plan to hold at least a month this time , more probably as I didn't do well when I started up again after September .

I'm sure ValleyUm will chime in and respond to you.  :smitten:

Does anyone else's here experience this horrible burning pain in the soft tissue and muscles  around the waist ,especially in the back? It scares me..... Also so leaden I can barely move.... Feeling scared :-[

MiYu

Miyu, my whole back and waist and legs are very painful.  It seems to be soft tissue pain also.  I know this is withdrawal related.  Sorry you have the pain symptoms too.  They are miserable.  :)--V 

Hi MiYu,

I am so sorry you are struggling still.

I think it was you who asked me to post after I saw my neurosurgeon so I hope you saw that post.

Yesterday for the third time in two weeks, I got a pins and needles and heat sensation rising up in both of my legs. Then I felt like my legs were going to give way. Sooo scary. I squatted down  And it went away. It only lasted about 45 seconds. But my legs are weak and wobbly for the past three weeks. Iguess this is what they call jelly legs. Not painful, but scary!

Doc does not think any of this or my neck and lower back pain has anything to do neurologically. That's good, but darn it, I am probably going to have to deal with this until these wdfx decide to disappear. Not happy about that!

Seems like you are having pretty bad days. Im sending you prayers and good thoughts. I hope you have better days really soon, LIKE NOW!

Heathcliff :smitten:

THANK YOU all for your support about my neck. I hope it doesn't last for my entire taper.

I've tried the hand held massager and heat and exercises and yoga stretches. It feels good momentarily, but doesn't help to make it go away. But I Keep doing it all anyway. Maybe it will help someday.  Right now, the neck pain is 24/7 !

If I wear my soft neck collar it helps immensely. I just hate to go around with that thing around my neck all the time.

I hope the neck aches go away with my next cut!

I'm still holding!

Heath

[a3...]