Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How long did you benzo belly last?

[ya...]

I've been off Klonopin, Xanax, and Ambien for 33 days now (I did it C/T), and the water retention and benzo belly are awful. My thighs, calves, butt, and stomach are so full of water (at least 10-12lbs), and my stomach is is always super bloated. I even have stretch marks on my thighs and butt from it. Symptoms tend to be slightly better in the morning, but they progressively get worse as the day goes on. Even if I only eat a handful of blueberries, or just drink water, my stomach distends and gets all firm (from the gas). I've tried Gas-X and water pills, but they don't seem to help. There are days I've cut out gluten or dairy (to see if I've developed an intolerance to those), but nothing's really improved. I've decreased sodium and sugar significantly, and cut out pretty much all manufactured foods and alcohol. I've read that some people drink kefir, so I will be trying that. I also have bad insomnia, so I wonder if the lack of sleep is prolonging this whole withdrawal process and the symptoms? Moreover, I haven't really been able to pee (nothing close to the amount of water I drink daily) - has anyone had any experience with that symptom?

I've become really self-conscious about it, and all this bloating and water retention makes me not want to leave the house or see anyone. Has anyone ever suffered from these symptoms? If so, how long did it last? Did you do anything that seemed to help? Does benzo belly come and go (in waves) for a long time (months or years)? And once your gut improved, were you able to eat/drink like you did pre-withdrawal or pre-benzo?

• 1 month later...
Hi, I’m just wondering if the water retention got better for you or do you still have it? I have it too, all over and it’s making me extremely depressed because I am so overweight now and miserable. I’m just looking for hope.

• 1 year later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• [ro...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]
    • [Po...]
    • [fr...]
    • [El...]
    • [Gr...]
    • [...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [...]